main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy Flight forum shutdown/viability of community migration?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarkEagle, Dec 23, 2020.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Hey all,

Fantasy Flight Games (FFG), which makes/made the Star Wars tabletop games (X-wing, Legion, Armada, Destiny, the RPGs, Imperial Assualt, etc) recently announced they will be shuttering their forums at the beginning of February. As these forums were decently active, users are searching for viable alternatives (some examples: 1, 2, 3). I was wondering if we're able to provide that here.

I know we had a game forum (that I think covered tabletop games) a while back that has since been folded into JCC due to lack of activity, but we do still have an RPG forum.

I guess what I'm asking about is the technical aspects of either adding a new forum section for games or renaming/expanding the RPG one to provide a new community for the displaced FFG users. I'm not super knowledgeable on how board architecture works; if this would be an easy add or something much more involved. Or even undoing any changes if it turns out no one wants to come here :p (I was going to post over there to gauge interest levels if we're receptive to the idea of offering them space here).

I'm just really throwing this out there to see if this would be an option for us to do here- seems like a good opportunity to help out some of the larger SW community and expand our community. Thanks

Kalio_Dynkos and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not a Community mod but i can bring your post to the attention of our mod forum and see if we can get some discussion going. Adding a new forum is not technically difficult. Do you have an idea of how many users are on the FFG forums?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    DarkEagle likes this.
  3. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    How many users are we talking about? (Ballpark figure is fine).

5. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    I really don't know- I only really follow the xwing forum. Plus it'd depend on how many people actually migrate. But looking at the links to the alternate forums posts I put up, they have the following view-posts numbers:

xwing: 400 views:20posts
    Legion: 900views:30posts
    Armada: 200:4
    the rpg one: 750+:45

I don't know how these compare to TFN- you guys would have a better understanding of the user interaction numbers than I do. Those also don't account for cross-participation accounts that are interested in multiple topics. That also doesn't count all of their game subforums (Rebellion, Outer Rim, ets) But I'd hazard a guess they're in the middle-ish compared to some of our forums population wise. You can look at the participation numbers they show over there to see if you can glean a better picture than what I know

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think we are the largest SW forum since the official one closed some years ago. Our sister site Rebelscum is also SW-related but it's more oriented toward collectors.
    Current forum stats:
    Discussions: 470,327
    Members: 270,930

Note that the number of members includes inactive and banned users.

7. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    As of right now, it appears they have ~950 people online this moment (includes guest non-accounts). TFN appears to be ~500 right now. But that includes people looking at non-SW games (Android, Game of Thrones, LOTR, Runewars, Keyforge, etc).

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I just wanted a feeling of how many users you have. I'm not into the tabletop games so wasn't sure what kind of a user base would be attracted here. Just a note that our forums are family-friendly so things tolerated (like language) there might not fly here.

9. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    From what I've seen, the FFG forums are pretty close in those terms to what we have here on TFN

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, I've posted about this thread in our mod forum so let's see who else chimes in.

DarkEagle likes this.