main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I guess I'd rather have more options. Just because they're there doesn't mean I have to use them. Now, bear in mind that I was one of the people who wanted movie NPCs so I wouldn't have to build them from scratch, so YMMV. And if they're out of whack in terms of the numbers, that's where you take your marker out and change them to fit your game. [face_dunno]

Except:

Rise of the Separatists explores the early days of the Clone Wars, and is fully compatible with every Star Wars Roleplaying Game line, including Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny!

Players will want to incorporate it, and we saw what happened once WOTC lost momentum of the 3.0 d20 stuff...[/quote]

Being printed in the rule book doesn't automatically allow it in a specific campaign. The nature of the campaign needs to allow it. Here's an example of what I mean. A while back, a now defunct company called Last Unicorn Games produced a Star Trek RPG that covered the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and the first eight movies (they never got a chance to do Voyager before they went out of business and stuff like Enterprise, the Nemesis movie, the Abrams-verse movies, and Discovery hadn't been created yet). They used a similar set up to FFG's, each TV show got its own core book, with source books focusing on certain aspects of the franchise and one "universal" one before it was canned. All three lines were compatible with each other just like the FFG books are.

Now, because of how this worked, you had stats for player species that belonged to different timeframes. For example, the Ferengi were a PC species. However, the Ferengi were not known to the Federation during the TOS timeframe, so we have a situation here were, by your logic, a player in a TOS could argue that they should be allowed to play a Ferengi since there are the stats for it and the system is the same as the TOS branch. Obviously, that's not how it works. Just like that, the Jedi career, as far as we can tell, is tailored to a specific campaign, not one meant to be dropped into any era.

You keep going back to: "What if a player doesn't respect the game master's rulings?" We don't know if that would happen and where, and it's up to the game masters themselves to handle it as best fits their group. (Besides, if they players get the most fun out of being Jedi in OT times, then it's justified itself.)

You mean, like, say a Padawan on the verge of knighthood?

In any event, yes. The films told us a hero could do it. If the FS PC can't square down against Maul, why include him?[/QUOTE]

So you can use him in a story. Also worth noting, the stats are for Rebels-era Maul, for what it's worth. Also worth noting, Maul only fights as well as the game master and the dice do. Also worth noting, Maul can be scaled down to fit the game better. Also worth noting, there ways to use the character without battling him.

TheRedBlade and Gamiel like this.
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Being printed in the rule book doesn't automatically allow it in a specific campaign. The nature of the campaign needs to allow it. Here's an example of what I mean. A while back, a now defunct company called Last Unicorn Games produced a Star Trek RPG that covered the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and the first eight movies (they never got a chance to do Voyager before they went out of business and stuff like Enterprise, the Nemesis movie, the Abrams-verse movies, and Discovery hadn't been created yet). They used a similar set up to FFG's, each TV show got its own core book, with source books focusing on certain aspects of the franchise and one "universal" one before it was canned. All three lines were compatible with each other just like the FFG books are.

Now, because of how this worked, you had stats for player species that belonged to different timeframes. For example, the Ferengi were a PC species. However, the Ferengi were not known to the Federation during the TOS timeframe, so we have a situation here were, by your logic, a player in a TOS could argue that they should be allowed to play a Ferengi since there are the stats for it and the system is the same as the TOS branch. Obviously, that's not how it works. Just like that, the Jedi career, as far as we can tell, is tailored to a specific campaign, not one meant to be dropped into any era.

You keep going back to: "What if a player doesn't respect the game master's rulings?" We don't know if that would happen and where, and it's up to the game masters themselves to handle it as best fits their group. (Besides, if they players get the most fun out of being Jedi in OT times, then it's justified itself.)

You mean, like, say a Padawan on the verge of knighthood?

In any event, yes. The films told us a hero could do it. If the FS PC can't square down against Maul, why include him?[/QUOTE]

So you can use him in a story. Also worth noting, the stats are for Rebels-era Maul, for what it's worth. Also worth noting, Maul only fights as well as the game master and the dice do. Also worth noting, Maul can be scaled down to fit the game better. Also worth noting, there ways to use the character without battling him.[/QUOTE]

The DS9 one was a bit useful from what I saw detailing certain mentioned battles such as Tyra, Coridan, Betazed, Benzar, Sybaron, the Tibor Nebula and Ricktor Prime.

3. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    So you can use him in a story. Also worth noting, the stats are for Rebels-era Maul, for what it's worth. Also worth noting, Maul only fights as well as the game master and the dice do. Also worth noting, Maul can be scaled down to fit the game better. Also worth noting, there ways to use the character without battling him.[/QUOTE]

The DS9 one was a bit useful from what I saw detailing certain mentioned battles such as Tyra, Coridan, Betazed, Benzar, Sybaron, the Tibor Nebula and Ricktor Prime.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, they did flesh out the Dominion War beyond what was shown in the TV show (although Betazed's capture was a key plot point in "In the Pale Moonlight," as I recall.

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The DS9 one was a bit useful from what I saw detailing certain mentioned battles such as Tyra, Coridan, Betazed, Benzar, Sybaron, the Tibor Nebula and Ricktor Prime.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, they did flesh out the Dominion War beyond what was shown in the TV show (although Betazed's capture was a key plot point in "In the Pale Moonlight," as I recall.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.
    For Tyra, they gave us an idea of the ships of the Seventh Fleet and the odds, plus a bit about Tyra.
    For Coridan, the scale of the attack.
    For Betazed, what it cost the Tenth Fleet.
    For Benzar, how it fell in the first place.
    For Sybaron and the Tibor Nebula, what actually happened there.
    For Ricktor Prime, how the Grissom was lost.

The novels though did have some things.
    - The Lexington was at Tyra and survived, though lost their captain.
    - Whatever Lwaxana Troi was up to, and how it ultimately led to the liberation.
    - A short story revealed that the Enterprise was at Ricktor Prime.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Just last week I pulled the old LUG Star Trek books out when I was cleaning the storage closet. FFG's Star Wars RPG always reminded me of their game. A damn shame that that it was destroyed over stupid corporate rivalry (and replaced with Decipher's version, a textbook case on how not to do a licensed RPG).
    I've recently wrapped up an examination of the ST Star Charts and it's interesting to see LUG's version of the ST map, since it was never consistent. Nowadays, especially after Discovery using a section of it on the show, Mandel's maps seem to be the default- the new ST RPG uses them.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There is an updated Stellar Cartography coming out in October that takes the Mandel maps and updates them with DISCO locations and other locations:

The main difference I've seen is that I believe the line for the Alpha/Beta quadrant was moved to make Andoria and Vulcan in the Alpha Quadrant on the DISCO map.

--Adm. Nick

blackmyron likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That’s a big change, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes, it was. Basically, it moved the line that separate the Alpha and Beta quadrants from right through Earth to being to the right of Earth. Honestly, Andoria and Vulcan being Alpha Quadrant worlds makes sense. Alpha Quadrant was always +/- synonymous with the core of the Federation, so having those two worlds in the AQ is perfect. It makes all of the Federation founders in the Alpha Quadrant, plus a good chunk of the original Earth colonies.

--Adm. Nick

9. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Can you dorks get back to Star Wars, please? :p

One of the first X-Wing 2.0 tournaments will be held in my nearly-literal backyard, so if anyone wants to come to CAPA Cup 2018, I'd love to meet you: https://www.capacup.net/

I eagerly await the app so I can start building lists on something other than the back of a napkin.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  10. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't know. I always "knew" that those worlds were Alpha Quadrant powers somehow. The tricky thing is that there are not that many canonical maps of the Star Trek Galaxy, so all publications are essentially non-canon reconstructions based on guesswork. Heck, the upcoming Stellar Cartography book isn't canon, just like the original version.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, Discovery made that map (or a variant of it) canon, so I suspect it will be used more. Regardless, I’m happy Andoria and Vulcan are Alpha Quadrant now.

—Adm. Nick

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up, Nick! I just finished going over the changes between the original Star Charts and Stellar Cartography. I suspected the Alpha / Beta change after seeing the map on Discovery, but it does mess up my sector catalog notation. I am excited that it apparently is going to include a significant amount of the missing worlds from TOS and TAS, as well as a comprehensive starbase listing. I am curious how some of my conjectures pan out, too.

In Star Wars RPG news, the Cyphers and Masks book dropped yesterday, which I believe completes the class books for AoR.

Voltron64 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I wish we had a thread to discuss Star Trek stuff. I love this stuff. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not been following FFG's stuff so I was wondering if they have created any new Force traditions or new information about old Force traditions?

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love the art, but they put it on the card upside down!

Gamiel, KerkKorpil and DarthJaceus like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't the whole point of space, that there is no up or down?

Voltron64 and Gamiel like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    @};-~Classy.~ @};-
    [​IMG]
    ...wait Dooku I think that's old Ma Talzin's brew...uh...

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I never drink... wine.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Also, @Ulicus I think you are quoting wrong Dracula.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Anyone played some X-Wing 2.0 yet? Thoughts, impressions, flying anything fun? I got my upgrade kits, but I won't be able to play some games until later in the week

DarthJaceus likes this.
  21. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So while I don't play tabletop RPGs myself, but I've always loves Star Wars RPG sourcebooks for the lore they provide, and I've been reading FFG ones recently. I have to say I'm VERY impressed; I particularly like how the Age of Rebellion books REALLY drive home how scummy the Empire is.

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Recently got a copy of the AoR book Friends Like These, which includes a template for Mandalorian PCs. However Mandalorian armor (found in the Bounty Hunter sourcebook) is given rules that it's really hard to find (presumably to allow a player to earn it and let it be a nice reward for a longer campaign). That makes sense if your playing a non-Mandalorian who wants to use such a suit of armor (like Jango and Boba Fett), but how would you adapt the rules to allow a player to create a Mandalorian character who would have the armor because of childhood rites and upbrining, like Sabine Wren?

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if they'll incorporate and/or
    expand on Supernatural Encounters.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That's extremely doubtful considering Supernatural Encounters isn't an official release.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Speaking of Supernatural Encounters and the whole Bedlam Spirit bit, seeing is these games are not official and they've got Kell Tainer running around with Poe Damaron, it would be cool if they did some cross-overs with their other franchises, like their Lovecraft run.

Bedlam spirits, Abeloth, Gates of Grontessiant... there's a lot they could do there. Those poor Lovecraft gamers won't be able to sleep for weeks! (muahhahahaaaaa)

MercenaryAce likes this.