main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Haven't played in a while, but definitely one of my favorite games.

Giovs likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I adore Rebellion. It is a wonderful game and the Rise of the Empire expansion released in 2017 makes it even better. It's pretty straightforward to learn and there is a lot of variety in the game, especially for the Rebel player. Whereas the Imperial player has to focus on building a large military to scour the Galaxy and find the Rebel base with, the Alliance players strategy is far different. It's more about hitting key victories that move the Rebel victory maker closer to the time marker. When both align, the Rebel player wins, as the concept is that the Galaxy at that point rises up against the Empire.

The variety of objective cards that the Rebels have to score victory points makes the game have a lot more variables. FFG makes the Rebel player do objectives, as they intentionally give the Rebel player A LOT less units that they can build. For example, the Empire can build up to 8 Star Destroyers, 2 or 3 Super Star Destroyers, 4 Interdictor cruisers, and a host of smaller ships. The Alliance player can build only 3 Mon Cala cruisers and a handful of frigates and corvettes, so it is impossible for the Rebel player to match the Empire in a shooting war. Building a Rebel fleet is key, but it is small and must be strategically used and deployed.

I can't say enough good about this game. The mission cards are great, the variety of leaders each faction has is balanced, and the Galaxy map is pretty darned accurate. I just wish there was another expansion!

--Adm. Nick

3. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Real late to the party, but how do people feel about X-wing 2nd? I only have a few ships from 1st ed, should we upgrade? Also, does anyone know any good trade groups where I might be able to offload some LOTR I have for X-wing?

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I, and most people I've talked with, are enjoying second edition quite a bit. A lot of the bs from 1st is gone and second is feeling fresh and fun. As for upgrading, it depends on which ships you have really. The 2nd core set is required, but you don't need the conversion kits if you have only ships that have been rereleased (I'm doing this for Resistance- I only have T-70s so instead of buying the conversion kit, I'll just get one of the new T-70 packs and have all the pilots). But you're probably best getting the core + a conversion kit for the faction of your choice and rolling with that. Plus you can usually find 1st edition ships on sale so you can expand easier once you've gotten a conversion kit (which is what I've been doing since I didn't have a bunch of ships when 2nd dropped).

I think there's a minature or FFG swap subreddit for selling/trading, or try a local miniatures facebook group

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  5. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've only managed to play one game of Rebellion, and while I'm still getting the hang of it I really enjoyed playing it!
    Today I'll play it for the second time, last game I played as the Rebellion, now I'm going to play the Empire, can't wait!

JediBatman likes this.
  6. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    It took me a few games to get the hang of it too. (Also to get a handle on some of the rules).

Tips for an Imperial Player: Focus on moving your fleets and armies. It helps your search for the Rebel Base, and if you can hold a planet it prevents the Rebels from moving their base there later.

Giovs likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    DarthJaceus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Fans: You're nice, but you're not canon.
    FFG: Introducing General Grievous and the Techno Union to fight Wedge and Soontir Fel. Will only end with Belbullab fleet vs the Moldy Crow.
    FFG: Oh sorry did you say something?

9. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Interesting. Very glad to see new RPG material from FFG. Hopefully this is just the start for 2019.

DarthJaceus and KerkKorpil like this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    As someone who reads these books for lore (don’t start, Ender) I hope there’s newly created characters for this, like some Imperial-era darksiders. Inquisitors and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    RAE SLOANE plz

Also Ars Dangor

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe they'll finally give this guy a name

[​IMG]

WHY HAS NO ONE EVER GIVEN HIM A NAME

Gamiel, MrDarth0, JediBatman and 8 others like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  15. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I can't remember were I read this (might have been Reddit), but I've seen it suggested before that FFG make a "monster manual" so players don't have to look through several different books to get some cool enemies. Glad to see FFG were thinking something similar.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I could see how having all-in one references for the RPG would be really nice, having had to flip through multiple books to find that one darn ship/robot/gadget/whatever. Hope there's new stuff and not just reprints of stuff from the other books.

JediBatman and Giovs like this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Still waiting on anything for Armada.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just want my SSD preorder to come in :p

Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I'm waiting to put in a preorder until it at least says On the Boat, instead of still being In Development

20. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Wasn't it ended?

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    No, but it does feel like it. The Card Game was ended.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I pre-ordered back in November, when they said "early Q1 arrival". Alas, I don't think we'll get the SSD until end of Q1 at the earliest. Transit across the Pacific via container ship is on average 4 weeks, plus they need time to clear customs, delivery to distribution center, and then ship out to stores and other sellers. I order on Miniature Market (which I believe Wes recommended to me years ago, I love that site!), so hopefully it will ship shortly after they receive it.

I ordered another MC80 Liberty and some more fighters with my SSD. No particular reason, I just have a minor addiction to capital ships. [face_laugh]

--Adm. Nick

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    In all likelihood I'll be at Star Wars Celebration when the SSD finally delivers, which will be ironic :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I wish FFG was more open/transparent with updates and information. If it's delayed significantly, tell us! Better than not knowing. As for future wave announcements, I imagine that there is a high chance that the SSD is the end. They wouldn't announce the end of Armada before the final ship is in stock, lest it hurt sales.

I REALLY wish we got another Rebellion update. I adore that game, an expansion that allows players to have a post-Endor game would be fun.Granted, that would require a new game board (as Jakku isn't on the original one), but I can dream, can't I? :p

--Adm. Nick

25. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I feel like once you have a different game board, it basically stops being an expansion and becomes a brand new game. I feel the same way about hypothetical expansions to make the game in the Clone Wars era or Sequel Trilogy era.

But then again, I was taken by surprise when the Rise of the Empire expansion came out, so who knows?