main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    even for just Masters its a small number, I suspect its just Jedi Council Masters! 20 left from the highest honors the order had to offer

edit: In Legends, with Djinn Altis rival Jedi Order... would he be one of the Lost 20? Also, his rival order is 10000 strong, but he also accepts adults and people less strong in the Force that would not qualify for the other Jedi Order's standards. Still his order is larger even than the Jedi Order proper, which held 10000 members as per TPM, but lost 1000 members in 10 years and had 9000 only in AOTC as per visual dictionaries. So with TCW books mentioning Altis having 10000 people, he outnumbers the other Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Golbolco likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yet the 10000 OJO figure doesn’t include AcCorp washouts either.

And Altis said he had taught non-Force users too, as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Twenty Jedi Masters in good standing with the Order, who nevertheless amicably resigned their place as a Jedi as a result of irreconcilable ideological differences. Only Jedi who met all of those criteria were afforded a place among the Lost. During those years, of course other Jedi did chose to leave, while others still were expelled or transferred to different areas of service. But the central idea behind the Lost Twenty as a commemorative endeavor is the tragedy of seeing this growing number of Masters—life-long Jedi, beings who should have been the greatest paragons of the Order and its philosophy—ultimately deciding that their lives as Jedi were spiritually unfulfilling, with true happiness and purpose to be found elsewhere.

Yeah, that's a very important distinction to keep in mind.

While the Altisian Jedi are possessed of such seemingly vast numbers as a collective organization, many of Altis' followers aren't true Jedi, or even Force-sensitive at all. Many of them—like Gali, for example—are simply ordinary people who were attracted to the Jedi lifestyle, philosophy, or call to public service. Altis welcomed essentially anyone, regardless of their ability with the Force, so long as they approached his sect with a willingness to do good. As a result, trying to compare numbers or manpower between the Altisian and orthodox Jedi sects is kind of a pointless exercise.

For anyone familiar with the Avatar franchise, a good comparison would be the Air Acolytes, who preserved and carried on the once-dying culture of the Air Nomad monks for decades because the Buddhist-esque ideology philosophically appealed to them, despite not possessing any of the bending abilities that once defined the nation to call their own. They're welcomed as a part of the Air Nation going forward, but when compared to the airbending monks who came before and after, they're a distinctly different aspect of the whole.

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    so Altis runs more or less a charity organisation with only few true Jedi besides him? calling that an order nevertheless?

Outsourced and Sinrebirth like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know if he's 'order' has the legal rights as lawmen the Jedi Order has?

7. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    They act like it and they use the Jedi name... average Joes can't even differentiate which Jedi is legit and which is not.

8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Average Joes can't, but the government can.

9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Hardly. Maybe the archives are incomplete. Maybe it was all just a folktale. Maybe the GM decides to ignore that piece of fluff entirely and invent something else (like Waru!). The fluff has always been just guidelines, never iron-clad. (Heck, the old West End Games knew that well enough to frame everything as being reported by an unreliable narrator to make it clear to newbies that nothing was set in stone.)

JediBatman and FS26 like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  11. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Don't think this one made it here yet:
    Unit upgrades for Legion

Of note, Rebels get diversity (Ishi Tib, Ithorian, Gran, Theelin)!
    [​IMG]

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Chopper!

Chris0013 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Good to see the Republic get a version of Chopper (the Rebels already have Chopper the Crew, Chopper the Astromech, and Chopper piloting the Ghost).

KerkKorpil likes this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Love that little detail.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Dumb question - if anyone has a ruler and a Millennium Falcon handy, can they measure the length and width of the cockpit? Working on a 3D model and wanted to scale it as close as i can

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Okay, someone help me out here.

I seem to recall that Story Group, or at least someone associated with Story Group, said the Fantasy Flight RPG products are non canon. They are inspired but do not create new continuity.

Am I making this up? If this announcement was made can you please point me to the original source with a link if possible?

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Never been able to find a quote myself, but I do think the game's blending canon and legends speaks for itself.

Demon4x4 and FS26 like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Following that, was there ever a public discussion on why Wookieepedia chose to make it canon? All I can find is the very short explanation in the FFG talk section: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Fantasy_Flight_Games

Not all the pre-2017 books have the Legends banner (e.g., Force and Destiny and its content), although some do (e.g., Age of Rebellion, although not all its additional content does). But a lot of these pages are marked as being incomplete, so maybe someone's just going to go through eventually and add the Legends banner to it all. 2017 still seems arbitrary to me because there is good "new" stuff before that and leaky Legends stuff entering post-2017, but I am not a Wook god, so what do I know?

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I'm not a mod on the Wook, either, but from what I've seen, there's no consistent treatment of the materials, with FFG stuff being treated as canon or Legends on different articles. I personally think that it should all be Legends or flagged as status unknown for information only based on canon materials and I have yet to hear a good reason against this, but I don't make the rules there.

FS26 likes this.
  21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Gadgets and Gear is out and I get it this week soon!

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, need to get my copy.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For the first time that I'm aware, there's nothing coming down the pike for the RPG .
    I suspect we're pre-reboot right now; once the final movie in the new trilogy comes out, that will open up the NT era, which will probably be the new base setting for the game.
    Hey, maybe this time around they might make a statement about canon and all... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Shame, I liked the RPG. But shelf space being what it is, I'm going to move FFG's Star Wars material to storage at this point.

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I'm hoping they just make era sourcebooks for the sequel trilogy for the current iteration; don't really need another version of the game just to be able to play there.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I LOVE sourcebooks being canon, the reality is that it is nearly impossible to do when new films are in the works. WEG benefited from coming out in a static environment when there were no films. The old WOTC books that tried to add lore in the middle of book events (the NJO SB) often were outdated, incorrect, or contradicted shortly after they came out. {Post-ST, things will be different. FFG can go back and "fill in the gaps" like WEG did.

--Adm. Nick