main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Not sure if this is true, but I've heard some people say that if they made PDFs of the RPG books, it would technically qualify as a video game/digital game, and EA currently has exclusive rights to Star Wars video games. Of course it seems like EA is going to lose that exclusivity soon anyways, so *shrugs*.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's a shame, because we seem to be in a big revival of RPGs right now - and various properties are doing well. Star Trek, Dune, Alien, Lord of the Rings all have RPGs that critically acclaimed and praised for their high quality - which only 5 years or so ago, FFG was getting the same accolades for their RPG.
    Digital release seems unlikely - drivethrurpg.com is the place for RPG pdfs, and Star Wars is conspicuous with its absence - for all three versions, WEG, WOTC and FFG. Yes, other products by WEG and WOTC are there.

The sad thing is, this is really the prime time for it. I've always felt the prime era for the original Star Wars RPG was the early New Republic era - and while the original NuCanon implied that nothing happens of interest, the recent Mandalorian and other upcoming shows indicate that isn't really the case any more.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Simply bad timing for there to not be new SWRPG material on the shelves taking advantage of the High Republic, "Mandoverse," and Sequel Trilogy. HR in particular would make for a fantastic campaign setting - teams of Jedi setting out from Starlight Beacon to battle Nihil and Drengir, tenuous alliances with the Hutts, Wayseekers traveling the galaxy seeking adventure... excellent stuff from an RPG perspective. You could adapt Force and Destiny to suit, of course, but an HR sourcebook would be a winner.

4. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    That's what I've heard too, though I've never seen it anywhere official. I know it's unlikely we'll ever get a digital release, but it's really frustrating to see how much the game would benefit from something that's been normal for almost everything else. Similar to other media, such restrictions only hurt the companies in question and force potential customers to pirat to even be able to engage

JediBatman and KerkKorpil like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is all the information provided, and per Edge Studio's social media SOP it might be a good long while before we know more. But this is happening.

One could speculate that a reprint series suggests Edge's long-term plans are to continue the existing line rather than reboot with a new edition, but who knows.

7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    no reboot sounds good, continue would be better... but reprints, unaltered I hope or do they tweak them?

8. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Given that "Fantasy Flight Games" is no longer in the picture I don't know if this news is relevant for this thread anymore... but...

Edge Studio to Create Star Wars Roleplaying Games

Edge Studio is proud to announce that it will be producing roleplaying games set in the famous galaxy far, far away. Edge, as a part of the Asmodee Group, is now an official licensee of Star Wars™ Roleplaying.

“We are really excited with the opportunity of working on one of the most beloved IP in the world,” Gilles Garnier, the head of Edge Studio, said. “We want to follow in the footsteps of FFG’s fantastic work over the years, while bringing our own vision of what a Star Wars™ RPG should be.”

Edge will be exploring some of the many eras of Star Wars, revisiting old classics while venturing into the exciting new frontiers of this setting. The studio looks forward to building on the legacy begun with Fantasy Flight games, who launched the wildly successful Star Wars roleplaying game Edge of the Empire. Sam Gregor-Stewart, the former lead developer on Edge of the Empire and now the RPG Manager for Edge Studios, said that he is looking forward to revisiting the Star Wars™ galaxy.

“Star Wars has always been one of my favorite settings, ever since I was a kid,” Sam said. “I loved my time working on the game lines Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. Now, with Edge, I’m really thrilled to have a chance to try something new! I hope we can create something fresh for our fans, while at the same time creating something that is going to awaken the same passion for Star Wars™ in a new generation that I felt growing up.”

With the licensing deal reached, Edge is also working to ensure reprints of existing Star Wars™ Roleplaying products will be available to fans around the world. For more information on reprints and for other news on upcoming Star Wars™ products, be sure to follow Edge Studio on social media and on their website, as the website is expanded and enhanced in the coming months.
    While the article is short on details, I note the pluralization of roleplaying games, Sam Gregor-Stewart as the RPG manager, and an emphasis on "revisiting old classics" and "following in the footsteps of FFG" even as they also want to "try something new." Interpret that as you will but my interpretation is: new editions of EotE, AoR, and FaD, with the "new" and "fresh" provided by being able to produce material covering the "Mandoverse," ST, and High Republic periods as well as classic eras. But, we still have a long wait ahead of us, so let's see what happens!

9. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    At this point I'm just glad to know that there will be any Star Wars RPG material in the future. After the long hiatus I hadn't been so sure anymore. And I do hope they expand into new fields like Mandoverse, ST or High Republic. Especially High Republic would be cool to see, to me it seems like that would be pretty intriguing setting for an RPG.

10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    The High Republic era seems like it would be really fun to play in.

11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    High Republic would be very cool to play in - fighting Drengir on far-flung planets, navigating the tense alliance with the Hutts while on missions against the Nihil, all good stuff. A resourceful GM could probably adapt FaD without too much trouble, but an era book would be very cool.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Now do I go and get the Rebellion main board game before it vanishes…

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    YES

14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    FFG apparently also has an expansion of Outer Rim in the works, so they're not entirely done with the license just yet.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yes, Sinre. 1000%. Get the expansion too.

Rebellion is one of the best games I've ever played.

--Adm. Nick

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  17. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Nope, the art looks terribly photoshoped and not really artistic like previous ones. FFG is no longer up to its old artsy fame I fear... but if the art ever improves, or they show new stuff not photoshopped/downgraded from previous art/photos, let me know and I am game!

18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've been playing a ton! I've bought six boxes, and I'm a bit addicted. I'm already a huge TCG fan, and Unlimited is shockingly good. Art is great (Pre-release it was pretty bad, but they cleaned it up with the final product) but most importantly the actual mechanics are shockingly fun!

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.