main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're NOT moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiDeeKenobi

ObiDeeKenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    It's shame that the Mods won't allow personal icons - the main Doctor Who fandom forums at http://gallifreyone.com allows them in addition to Doctor Who icons and for the most part the forum users have pretty innocuous personal icons and the site owner Shaun Lyon has bee pretty swift in terminating those account with offensive icons and behaviour. Allowing personal icons here might be worth looking into - if only as an experiment

ObiDee

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    No.

Eww, no, it isn't. If someone wants a specific Star Wars related icon, they can request it in the icon thread. If it's good enough, it will be voted in and uploaded. There really is no need for non-Star Wars related icons here.

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I know this might be a stupid question, but...if this guy's contract ran out in march, I'm wondering if anyone that joined the forums after march wouldn't transfer over to the new place?

4. Jedi_Whispers

Jedi_Whispers Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm sure they would transfer simply because they are part of the community now. I don't think our mods would let anyone get lost in the move intentionally.

5. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The main Doctor Who fandom forums at http://gallifreyone.com allows them in addition to Doctor Who icons and for the most part the forum users have pretty innocuous personal icons and the site owner Shaun Lyon has bee pretty swift in terminating those account with offensive icons and behaviour. Allowing personal icons here might be worth looking into - if only as an experiment

You see, those boards have just over 1,300,000 messages posted total. The JC has over 19 million posts total and averages something like 15,000 per day - we overhaul their complete post total every 12 weeks. With a site this big, having personal icons for all gets very messy, very fast - there's far too many users to moderate personal icons successfully. Besides, Star Wars arguably covers a far wider scope that Dr Who (in regard to icon material), and we have plenty of decent choice. And if you don't like the icons, don't use any. Easy.

I know this might be a stupid question, but...if this guy's contract ran out in march, I'm wondering if anyone that joined the forums after march wouldn't transfer over to the new place?

Everything will be transferred over - I imagine new user registration would be disabled for a period of time while the transition takes place, so that nothing gets deleted. The contract may have run out in March, but to move we need specific tools from IGN that they haven't given us. More the better for us and more the worse for them.

I_F

6. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    so are we still moving anywhere?

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    We hope so - just as soon as IGN gives us the tools we need! :)

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Don't we have enough tools as it is?

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    From my understanding we have yet to secure the database tools needed to make the switch. I could be wrong though.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] gabe!

I think we do. ;)

11. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
  12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    The population of tools never goes anywhere but up!

13. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    If we're not there yet, that only means one thing................. we're treading water, still... [face_thinking] :rolleyes: [face_whistling]

14. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Are we there yet?

15. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW I was literally offline for 2 full months and Im glad I didnt have to go looking for this place. Now that Im back we can move now. ;)

16. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I don't want to read through a massive 700+ posts... can someone please summerize why the JC is moving, what type of message board software will be used, what the features will be, etc...?!

Thanks!

17. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the above post is a prime example as to why this thread should be locked and a new, locked announcement should be made until anything further develops.

Le_Sammler: Just read the first post.

18. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    It's a shame that you can't even be bothered to read the first post, which clearly summarizes everything you need to know.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    As mentioned above, the first post outlines everything. Please read it.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes, but someone really really needs to update some of it. Such as:

This will be done within weeks rather than months, well before the release date for Revenge of the Sith.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Agreed. I just wish they could come up with an expected move date now.

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Er, Bib, read the other posts on this page. :p Everyone's saying they don't know when it will happen, and they aren't the ones you need to harass if you want things to happen faster.

23. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Actually we're not moving. This was one helluva massive joke. We decided to do the April Fools day thing a few months early cause we knew AFD would suck. Possibly a lot.

24. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    What will happen to socks people have registered that have 0 posts? Are they going to be transferred over too? It really annoyed me before I registered to type in a username, look it up later, and find out that it was never used.

25. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001

"Every user" includes "every username".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.