main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Fat Americans

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Its Popeye's chicken.

mmm....greasy

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    TOOT TOOT.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Ah Mixo, you're my favourite New Ager. Much love in a platonic, comfortably metrosexual fashion, y'know? ;)

4. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Ah yes old PoT, my favourite heterosexual sole mate

5. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    After taking walking away and taking a few days to think this thread over. Your right obesity is on the rise in the US at an alarming rate. Cant argue that-and it was never what said by why you would feel the need to say it and the tone just a bit. i mean i could say some pretty harsh things about Australians that is true and I could back up with fact-but there is no need to bash another country and its residents. I just wanted to say that maybe i let it offend more than it really should and the drunk russian post was a good way of shifting the focus to a more humorous side.

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    You're not all that bad benky.

7. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Actually I find both this thread and the Drunk Russian thread offensive.

8. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Oh ok then I'll fix it just wait a moment

9. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Problem is...if we are trying to attract people to the forums those threads might have the opposite effect.

If I was an American visiting the forums for the first time, or perhaps a Russian roaming the world in search of a place to call home, I'd find just the title of both threads offensive.

Humuor is great, but not everyone would see those threads as humour....that's all I'm saying.

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    That's certainly a fair point, but the converse would be this: in a forum going through a trough of activity, should we stifle what little conviviality might still be around out of fear that visiting lurkers will - as we say in Victoria - "crack the sads?"

I vote no. But I'm willing to follow a differing consensus if need be.

BTW UPDATE: Today Jet-Eye and I both managed up to 150kbps. We were satisfied that the internet gods have responded thus. gg al gore gg

11. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    I do miss my unlimited high speed internet. for $50 a month-you just cant beat that. But ive lived in other countries that are worse. I think I would classify myself as international more than american, but I guess where your whole family lives you have to call home. Even if that is 20 miles from where Forrest Gump came from in Alabama. And yes, there are people i grew up with there that make him look normal. You call them boguns and we call them rednecks. I perfer your bogans any day of the week because at least they dont drive around in pickup trucks with guns looking for a fight. In my opinopn no one with an IQ under 50 should be allowed to own a firearm.

12. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Given that the medically defined threshold for mental retardation is an IQ of 70, I'd hope folks with an IQ of 50 can't own firearms either.

But I suppose that just makes me prime facie a pinko liberal scumbag. :p Rationality was SO last century...

13. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Nah...here they don't own Pickup Trucks, they drive Torana's or Commodores.
    and they don't need guns...they have BODY ODOUR.

14. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I do not get offended too easily but I think that blaming America for Australia's internet issues is not the way to go. You have to deal with your country's problems from the inside. I am American and I just want to leave and move to Australia. You guys think Obama is great? He wants to tax everything and take away our freedoms. You do not get the news because it is filtered. Heck, even America does not get half the truth so we have to seek out "the rest of the story." His approval numbers are dropping, the stock market is crashing worse than when Bush did his stupid last term bailout crap (just like Obama is conitnuing to do against the will of the American people and dispite the fact that it is NOT working).

Yeah, we are getting the "change" we (not me) asked for. He wants to regulate political speech on the internet and on the radio because liberals do not sell on the radio and conservatives do. Sorry to go all political on you, but I just wanted to let you know you may not have it so bad. America used to be the land of the free. It is turning into something I am not proud of anymore. Yes, we have great internet and the freedom to choose services and have low prices, etc. But that will probably "change" as well. In New York City, Mayor Bloomberg wants to tell restaurant owners how much salt they can put in their food. I have a big problem with a government that tells a business how to conduct its business. Salt is not illegal. And that is just the tip of the iceburg. When you think, "well, they are just looking out for your best interest," what freedom will they take next? They have a law now throughout the country where the government can just snatch someones property if they think it is "blighted." They tried to take someone's business which was far from blighted, to put up a "better" business here in Tennessee. Luckily the woman who owned the business had a really great organization on her side who fought the government and won.

I decided I do not want to stay and watch my country rot. I love the people of Australia and I love what I have seen so far from afar. And yes, I agree, Americans are getting fat and lazy and it is because the government is giving everything to those who refuse to work (I am not talking about the ones who CANNOT work) and taking it from the ones who work hard. Why work hard and make mone if the government is going to take HALF of it and give it to someone else who is not working otr not working much? So, yeah, we are becoming lazy. That is very true. I am a little overweight myself and I have a medical condition (PCOS) that makes it hard for me to lose weight. But I work hard and I try. I am a teacher.

Anyway, yeah I am an American Aussie wannabe trying to learn about you all. Hope you learn a little in return :)

Kim

15. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Best way to learn it is to live it....so come on 0ver. :)

16. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks :) I thought I would get my head bit off for what I said. Haha! But I am a nice person and try to express my views in a civilized manner and without hurting others. I can certainly understand why it is a pain about your internet, but when government controls things like that. the people cannot have freedom. I personally am impressed with your PM, but I am sure there are things I am not up to speed on. I shall research. Put it this way, he is better than what we have now. Oh, and I heard a religious slur amde against him. Well, I am a Christian, and I do not think there is anyting wrong with people of faith in office. Of course America was founded as a Christian Nation. We have laws that follow, or used to follw Judeo-Christian principles, like no murdering, stealing, etc. So do not let someone with faith scare you, just as I do not let someone with no faith scare me.

And yes, I very much want to experience Australia for myself!!!!!

Signed-
    A Not-So-Fat American
    AKA Kim

17. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I am looking for someone on the more conservative side to help me with learning about Australia. I want to especially learn about your healthcare and how much fredom you have with it. I am fearing for my life right ow with the threat ofgovernment controlled healthcare possibly becoming a reality here. I have a disease that requires tests at the drop of a hat and if we go the way of canada, I could die before I get in for a test. So if someone would PM me and be my Australian "Master" I guess, I would appreciate it. Really, I am serious. The goverment has already started rationing drugs here and my grandmom cannot get meds she needs through her government run insurance for seniors because she is too old and all that crap.

Thanks!

18. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
  19. oldbenk31

Feb 27, 2003
    Jaden, take it from an american living down here for two years now, I have lived all over the world and this is the best place by far that ive lived. Having kids and seeing the school system first hand-I like it, they treat their teachers alot better down here. I just had a friend of mine back home get laid off from his teaching job, the kids are the big losers there. Hes a great teacher and they all loved him, but like most jobs he had been there the shortest amount of time. I will miss Australia when I move on to another part of the world-looks like Singapore or Beijing are in my future, maybe I can get back here one day.

20. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks. I was told you have choic between government and privae. I would choose private for speed of service. I am a teacher and my husband has a steady job of going on 10 years. Feel free to PM me. I would like to know how hard or eay it is to immigrate there. :)

21. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    We sure do :) That goes for schools and hospitals. Except fanboys hasn't come out here :(

22. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Oh, when you guys see it you are going to LOVE it! Our audience was laughing and clapping throughout the movie and applauded at the end. That is not normal for Americans. Well, we DID all applaud at the end of ROTS way back when.

I was shocked yesterday morning (which was late late night for you all because I was talking to tahiri by PM when I found out!) when I discovered it was playing in Nashville. I immediately bought tickets online!

Don't worry my Aussie brothers and sisters (I am such a wannabe!), it will be out on DVD and you will still be able to enjoy it!!!

[face_dancing]

23. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I don't get it- what's wrong with the itnernet service?? Mine's fine. ANd then why is the thread called "Fat American's"?

Besides it's not up to the government to fix it. Internet is owned by private enterprises and the government don't own Telstra any more- I'm pretty sure they sold their last part of it like two-three years ago.

I obviously missed the joke.

24. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I agree Ree. Depending on the Government is pointless and they are bad at managing anything. I mean any government, not just mine...LOL!!!

25. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I dunno Jaden, your government prospects might be looking up...:D

But what I meant is that Government don't have any powers over the internet service- legal powers I mean. THey can't legislate on it. THat's what I meant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.