main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi (9 Hardcover Series) General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Considering Del Rey's track record, it's not really necessary to wait months for a book's release to know certain plotlines wont be handled well.

2. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Some insight from Sue:

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=270737&start=750

I like how she basically evades the question of whether or not Callista is in Allies. :p

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There is now not a single major character from the pre-1996 EU who hasn't been brought back or killed. That's the main problem with this -- it's just so glaringly unnecessary. Make up some new damn characters instead of continually digging the old ones back up. No one can ever just fade away.

I think it's time to start up my "Bring back Cole Fardreamer!" campaign now.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    What's the problem with using what you've got? There's no need to create someone new when you've got a character languishing in EU limbo.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was predicting she would show up too.

Now all we need is for Del Rey to find a way to deal with Waru and Ken Palpatine, then we'll have all the major loose ends from Bantam wrapped up! :p

But... didn't Luke say Abeloth reminded him of an "old lover" in ABYSS?

6. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Think the old lover comment is relative and just something that Abeloth used to draw Luke in closer and make him more curious as to what she really is.

When I first read the news that Callista was coming back, I first thought that they were going to haver her be Vestara's mom. But then I looked at Vestara's wook page and found out that they already named her mom. But I'm going to guarantee that she is a member of the Kesh Sith. Why? because they have everything that she was looking for when she left Luke. Her only way of touching the force was through the darkside, not good when you're running around with a Jedi but perfect on a planet full of a group of Sith that weren't really steeped in the darkside too bad. She gets to fit right into their society, which is something that she couldn't do with Luke and his Jedi.

Or she's just going to be an agent of Abeloth, but that doesn't make sense because everything points to Abeloth "eating" every force sensitive she comes in contact with.

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It's all the more hilarious since there's not a peep from them in the interim. It's like there's a literal in-universe vault they all got sucked into for thirty years until called forth by the needs of the plot.

(Or the needs of the powers-that-be to [ineptly] pander to the online fandom, as it were.)

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Except most of these characters aren't "languishing". Their stories are done and over with, and they've faded away. But then they get dug back up and shoved back into the story, because name recognition on an old, done-and-over-with character is somehow worth more than creating interesting new characters who will last for many, many more years.

Hey, wait . . . did NBC buy Del Rey or something?

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    That.

11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If that's the case, then we may end up laughing at ourselves when the book comes out if all that it is is Abeloth has devoured Callista's soul and so is just going to "appear" like Callista to trick Luke, or anything along those lines.

Abeloth kept changing her form and mimicking traits of the Sith team when they showed up, after all. If Callista somehow got eaten up by Abeloth, then Abeloth may just end up mimicking her too. If so, the really clever thing will be whether they tell us this or if we're left as in the dark as the characters (which would be the more artful approach to doing it, though 9 times out of 10 them seem to prefer telling us upfront).

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i honestly hope Callista surafces as an allie to Luke, not abeloth or a sith, or dead by abeloth

13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    This and that.

I mean we have had a lot of new characters in FotJ. The Lost Tribe of Sith, Abeloth etc. Plus, the returning characters story I think wasn't ended... she just left and disappeared. There was no conclusion as such. Not saying she should come back, snatch Luke and everything be happy ever after but there should be some conclusion there. Anyway, as Zorrixor said, it depends on HOW they do it. If the story comes out and its bad, then the people that complained were right. And if it comes out and its good then well... wait and see I suppose.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Callistas return is like the Holliday Special in print form! Glove of Darth Vader reloaded.

Is she Kyp Durrons secret girlfriend he tried to hide through the NJO and LOTF?

Wait I got it... Jacen met Callista during his sojourn and THAT Is why he freaked out! lol

and the best part: In the end Jacen will have failed because not a dark MAN was the threat but a dark WOMAN... he just couldn't see the sex and thus assumed evil must be a man. poor Jacen. mancentric views are a curse. in the end Abeloth is the Dark woMAN!

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm afraid you're on to something...

Callista retconned as the Dark Woman? Now that's just mad!

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You four are absolutely no fun.

17. Wifflesnip

Wifflesnip Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2008
    I know that this is just conjecture and that it probably (70% sure) won't play out like this but...Please, please, please Del Ray do not bring Callista back just to hook her up with Luke, that is an incredibly tacky and cheap storyline. To roll out Callista just after you controversially killed off Mara is not good characterisation, it looks like you got bored and decided to turn Luke into a "playah" to lure in the teenage boy market. Anything else I could live with but that...I think that would be me out of here and moving permanently to the fan-fiction realm.

18. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    ...meh. Could be intersting, could be lame.

Not really interested in seeing a new romantic storyline for Luke, partly cus I liked Mara and don't really want to see her "replaced" but honestly mostly because I'm just tired of Luke. I'm really just not interested in them trying to restart new storylines for him. I wanna see him be all epic and then go out like Obi Wan and leave stuff to the next generation. Romance plotline? Yawn.

I could, however, be very interested in Callista as a character in her own right, in terms of what happened to her after she left in PoT, what she's doing now, as either an ally or enemy to Luke. I get that there's a massive amount of Bringing Back Characters overkill going on right now, and I respect that criticism, but equally, as an isolated story idea, I have no problem with it.

19. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007

I would too. Except that it should somehow be granted that she won't end up with Luke again! I would absolutely hate to see him in a new romance, especially with an old flame. He was tossed around plenty before he met Mara, they never used her well when they had her (I still keep hoping for fill out stories, of course...) and with killing her, they moved him into a new role! I expect them to use that! If they killed Mara off just to fill her place with someone else - than I'm done with buying these books!

I liked Callista when she was there, I thought she was a strong character and I hope that if she's brought in, she can continue as that. And I can't see her ending up as Abeloth - remember that she left Luke exactly in order not to be tempted by the Dark Side - to turn her into a dark side nexus would indeed be too ironic...

Still, isn't the rumour that we will find out what happened to Callista? For all we know she might be dead by now? She might have had a gloruous, heroic fate and death - and I admit I would love to hear that story!

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, heroic death battling Abeloth was what I had in mind when suggesting her "being" Abeloth, since she wouldn't actually "be" Abeloth but Abeloth would simply pretend to be her, having taken her face, etc.

Which perhaps would give Luke a personal motive to destroy Abeloth if he knew one of the many souls trapped inside that well, so despite not "getting together" with Callista might still feel driven to need to free her. Though, the main problem with that is it's a bit too rehashy of freeing her from being trapped inside a computer in the first place, since it'd be fairly similar... just this time trapped inside a Force wound.

Yeah... I'm basically fine with this for almost every reason except it turning into a romance story. Luke's had his time. Let the young'uns get to lovin' now, i.e. if you're going to introduce new female characters (which the novels do need) then focus on people Ben's age, not on Luke, Luke, Luke.

Plus, I don't get why every time a female character comes along it's just to turn them into one of the male lead's love interests. Why? Can't the female characters be their own leads in their own right? From what I've read of CotJ so far (about halfway through now), I'm liking Callista's character... if she comes back from the grave? Sure thing. But I'd rather it be for her own reasons/plotline, not just to give Luke a new lovebot. I'm sure Lando could buy him an HRD that filled that role if it was that much of an issue.

I guess it doesn't help that I dislike how Jaina just gets treated as a love interest half the time. I'd sooner limit that. So while I think Callista's return could be cool, I'd prefer it be for any reason but that one. Right now? I can't say I see them doing that anyway, so admittedly I'm not personally that worried about the prospect. I expect they'd be worried that it'd be too in danger of stepping on Legacy's toes, and since right now they seem to be hurrying to set up Legacy's stuff, that seems to point more at them winding Luke's story down than them going and starting a whole new branch of the family ancestors, whether they had kids or not.

21. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007

22. CaelumExternus

CaelumExternus Jedi Master star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    What if Callista secretly had a Skywalker love child? And then Kol is descended from this child?

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, we saw Cade seeing images of Mara, though that may just have been a drug induced hallucination--although, the fact he also saw Hosk being tortured has always made me think it was an actual Force vision, albeit drug induced. If it was just a hallucination though, then that'd mean Cade had been lied to yet again, this time about his great-grandmother. :p

24. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Personally, I think this character (AND Daala)should've turned up back in the NJO when most of the other Bantam OCs were revisited for the final time. I liked how NJO took us around the galaxy revisiting people and places that were first introduced in the New Republic Era and sort of "saying goodbye" to them. It seemed like the galaxy had changed permanently at the end of NJO with a new government, new galactic capital, new view of the Force. Of course, then they went back on pretty much everything innovative they'd dared to do in NJO (I'm surprised Chewbacca and Anakin haven't turned up alive somewhere since then). Anyhow... I'm open to a return by this character as long as it doesn't feel forced.

25. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Why is everyone talking about Luke and Callista? What about Ben and Callista? I could see her being a cougar. :p