main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi (9 Hardcover Series) General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWN007, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    :rolleyes:

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Awww... I didn't think it was that bad of a joke.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yes they would.

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You'd be suprised. Onimi anyone?

5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Not for this series, but your point is well made, we shall see.

6. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Another week or two and maybe we'll start seeing some spoilers!

In the meantime, I've finally begun reading Darth Plagieus (or however you spell his name, ACK!) Just finished Joel Rosenberg's "The Tehran Initiative" and there were lots of parts in that one where I felt like I was reading current world events! Can't wait for the third book of that trilogy, "The Damascus Countdown", this fall.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Makes sense.

The One Sith were that good at hiding that even they didn't realise that they'd already taken over the entire galaxy.
    Ah, so Pocket is in fact a meerkat equivalent of a Hoojib. [face_thinking]

This should be taught in all GFFA schools.

Don't talk to strangers or trust any animal smaller than you.

8. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    We're less than a month away from the grand finale of this series. Shouldn't there be a thread up for Apocalypse, or is it a week too early for that?

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I haven't been paying attention, are there spoilers to discuss yet? Usually we don't open up official threads until spoilers start coming out.

10. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    I've seen various people on different sites claiming to have finished the book but none have been willing (thus far) to share any spoilers. Granted, I don't want too much spoiled for me, but a couple tidbits would be nice.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's some spoilers on other sites, but very minor, everyone is being tight-lipped. They're saying that the characterization is great, the ladies kick butt, Jag has a plan, Abeloth's true nature is revealed, good parts with the Horn family, and it's a good conclusion. Which really isn't saying anything, but the little amount of info being all positive is a good sign. And it seems like Denning has been listening to all the critics of the series.

12. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

Why do I get the feeling that when I get around to reading those parts, I'll be hearing a certain Cheetah Girls song in the background?[face_laugh]

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So you're anticipating the mother of all cat fights involving Abeloth, Vestara, Jaina, et al?

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yep the final climactic battle is Abeloth, Vestara, Jaina, Leia, and Daala in one huge cat fight, while Han, Luke, Jag, and Ben do flybys dropping mud and slave bikinis onto the battlefield.

15. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000

No, but I do expect the Siths they encounter to initially scoff at the ladies, thinking they're nothing but weak Jedi, gender notwithstanding. Only to end up regretting their words and thoughts. Or rather not being given the opportunity to do so.

16. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    ...That's actually really awesome.

I've been trying to stay spoiler-free for Apocalypse, and I'm surprised that I haven't seen many spoilers up here and there. I'll be interested to see how all the plot threads come together- there's so much to resolve and I have no idea how it's ever going to work. Seems like this series could have done with either being longer (oh please no, we don't need another NJO) or not having so many little things to keep track of. There are so many little plot bits to deal with, and I wonder how they're ever going to tie it all together and deal with everything in one book.

As soon as it shows up in my mailbox, I'm going to be reading. So many of my EU-reading friends are telling me "Please tell me if anyone important dies, so I don't read this!" I have no idea. There are so many ways this series could go, and I'm both excited and scared.

17. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I still need to go pre-order this and have it set to be shipped to me upon release. Damn procrastination!

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nah, it'll totally be like in that scene in Shrek 3, with Allana doing the opening to The Immigrant Song.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You're forgetting Leia, Tahiri, Jysella, Allana, and Zekk's girlfriend. ;) Not saying it all happens at once, just heard that all the ladies kick some serious butt in this book! :D

20. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    The ladies do kick some serious butt in the novel :)

21. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    Mentioning Star Wars literature in the same sentence of A Song of Ice and Fire...I'm a diehard EU fan and even I have to laugh at that. Agreed though. No sinister message.

22. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    A little off-topic, but last summer I started reading Game of Thrones and Conviction at the same time. Needless to say, once I got a few dozen pages into GoT I had no desire whatsoever to pick up Conviction until I was done reading GoT. When I finally got around to finishing Conviction, it seemed like the worst book ever (and I've generally/overall liked the Fate of the Jedi series).

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    While the EU certainly lacks the cohesion of a tightly constructed fantasy series like Song of Ice and Fire, it does have its moments; I honestly consider Stover every bit the writer that Martin is. The latter, despite using very different themes, reminds me very much of Tolkien in his prose, while the former writes much more stylistically, something I tend to prefer in fantasy writings. That doesn't stop Ice and Fire from being one of the best plotted fantasies ever written, though (even if I do feel the fifth book really dragged out the plot more than needed, something I would personally accuse Tolkien of as well, though I'll have to read the whole series to see how that all fits.

Of course, all well written original series will almost always trump tie-in fiction (barring bad "popcorn fantasy", such as Terry Brooks, of course).

You should check out Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. It's even more densely written than the Song of Ice and Fire series. A very "heavy" series, but one of my favorites. I think I prefer it to the Ice and Fire series in a lot of ways.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Tenel Ka!

25. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    This may be fleeting, but I do hope Allana and Tenel Ka will be able to get back together as mother and daughter by the end of this book. I have nothing against Han and Leia taking care of Allana, and I understand why the two were separated, but they definitely deserve to be together.

As for Allana's remark, someone should tell her how her paternal grandparents escaped from the Empire after being forced to flee from the Hoth asteroid field.