main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fate of the Jedi issues...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, May 29, 2018.

1. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Yes, but they don't because there are libraries to fulfill that demand.

2. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Libraries that I've seen tend to have a pretty poor selection (and poor quality/somewhat damaged books) compared to book stores. Not to mention rarely having the very latest releases available.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Strange. Every library I have ever been in has had at least some. Novels, graphic novels, kids books etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Might say more about my local libraries then anything else.

Or I might be misremembering

6. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    no sorry, but I will get to it I promise

Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Update: just came back from the library, they don't have it, but can get it, so they'll call me, here's hoping it's soon!!!

Ghost, AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I really wish I could find the statement where Denning said the Legacy comics were "one possible future," or something along those lines. I really hope I'm not just going crazy and someone else remembers it, too...

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
  10. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    And first reply gives me the exact source, thanks!

Hmm, would more "possible futures" have been explored if the reboot hadn't happened, I wonder?

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Most likely it would have revolved around Hapes, Allana being the 'jedi queen of the galaxy'.

So maybe the jedi would have just gotten ride of the GA and ruled the galaxy, with Allana as their leader. When she takes over she might give this speech:

"Instead of a dark lord you shall have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn. Tempestuous as the sea and stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."

Then Han, Leia, Luke, Saba and the rest will say what a great speech this is and how she will make a great leader.

or maybe Benstra?

SkywalkerShine and PCCViking like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I still think it would be appropriate for Allana to rule for a time and for her to be the one to defeat Abeloth maybe with Jacen's lightsaber. The Jedi queen who defeated the lovecraftian terror and reigned for an era of peace, prosperity, justice, unity, and good will.

13. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    hey everyone, guess what I have in my hands????

great to see the board is still going while waiting!!!

@AusStig would not be surprised at all with this possible future even though it'd be horrible for the others to say that....and I'd know how much you'd love a story about Hapes and these Jedi....

@Darth Invictus I actually like your concept, if only I had faith they'd pull it off (especially worried about how Allana would turn out since I don't like her kid personality (too headstrong))

P.S. - really cool coincidence, logged on, and got my trophy for being a member for a full year which goes hand in hand with the book coming in and starting it now...just neat at least to me

14. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Congrats on being a member for a year! Also, excited to see what you have to say about Mercy Kill!

15. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    okay 1 chapter down, just gotta say....WOW

1) how fun was that chapter, that's what SW is supposed to be like
    2) if this is that good all the way through, I might be going back and reading all X-wing books
    3) I'm very amazed at how good of a hook this was for me considering this didn't include the Big 3
    4) Gammoreans dancing and Piggy being in on it is the most awesomely hilarious thing ever!!!
    5) is the banter b/t this group like this throughout the book? jw? bc I love it!!!
    6) I love undercover ops that go right, so this was a real good hook for me and a great opening chapter from that perspective
    7) I'm already so much happier than I ever have been TDN onward....YAY

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Jedi Ben, Grey1, Xander Vos and 4 others like this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    You should go back and read the X-wing books anyway. Probably even the Stackpole books too, they're not as popular as the Allston books, but they're still an important part of the old EU, I'd say. Although Allston's X-wing books are some of the best of the old EU anyway.

17. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    so far, I've read about the first operation on Coruscant, they're leaving for the next part now....

1) just more fun, the op went smoothly which I really liked, the intros to each character were good (even if a little obvious "intro one at a time" shtick used), and I like seeing people from the past like Myri and Bhindi
    2) I really like the concept of finally seeing at least one Vong present still in this galaxy, and in a good guy role too, I really like this, also good setup of clash b/t Piggy and Scut (seems like it'd be a realistic issue)
    3) I personally like that Piggy is somewhat an outsider to this group of Wraiths and he's the pov character it seems so his "realizations" will also be mine hopefully as an outsider to this whole part of SW

I do have a few small minor questions for continuity purposes....
    1) this does seem like a brand new team of Wraiths, probably younger??, so why would an old Wraith like Piggy be brought in (other than for the reader's sake, and I am personally glad he's here, I mean he's a smart Gamorroean!!!) but still????
    2) while interesting for story purposes that Piggy is so in the dark on the op, it seems like a really bad idea to run the op that way, I mean everyone else seemed to know what was going on and Piggy never had a clue at any point...I'd not like that much at all if it happened to me and it seems like it opens the door for issues which I'm sure you'd want to minimize
    3) also, point 2 opens up one of the biggest issues in all writing/tv/movies, making it seem like things only happen on screen/page aka the world stops otherwise....what I mean here is it seems Piggy went with Face to Coruscant for the op and they never discussed the op itself, which isn't plausible at all, which leads you back to the realization that it's like time stopped b/t the two things you read which hurts immersion

sorry, b/c of wording the issues seem longer/worse than the good parts but I'm liking the book a lot and the good far outweighs those issues

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Face does this. He seems to take personal delight in having on a ‘need to know’ basis. It’s an amusing way to run things at least - and encourages initiative, I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah it's a very fun opening to the book.

Scut is probs my fav post-vong war character (aside from ves), just cause it opens up a whole bunch of story possibilities

20. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    hey all, just reading along still in the book, but where is everyone? all the fuss for me to read this book and it seems the board died for the moment....

I just finished the spot where Face's speeder blew up....

still a good read, but admittedly a little slow at this point, but on to a few things to make note of
    1) so Scut and Piggy have issues with each other, and we know Piggy's reasons, but Scut's are still a mystery, so just hoping to get some info on that and soon...
    2) I am starting to feel sorry for Piggy, it's hard being a Gammorrean, he gets all the crappy jobs in undercover work it seems since ALL other Gammorreans are stupid
    3) I liked everything going well at the beginning, but now it's almost too much since everything has gone to plan, it's losing the tension/drama aspect of it (in a ironic reversal of prev. complaints, I'm siding with good story over realistic events on this aspect)
    4) just saying, I would have thought the Wraiths liked the Jedi so Face's trick at the market while very effective seems like a bad idea in that it casts further bad light on Jedi (who already face such negative attention during this time period)
    5) also, I suspect Face isn't dead from the speeder explosion, if he is, what a crappy way to go out...
    6) finally, this new team in all the chapters since the 1st chapter just don't seem to have near the charisma of the old team from that first chapter (which is really my only knowledge of them as well), that is disappointing

one thing I must say though, the book is enjoyable, not great, but I'm growing more and more suspect that my real pleasure is simply that it's SW universe and NOT the horribleness of Jedi being bad Jedi, Jacen's ever changing reasons for his fall, Abeloth, etc of the main series through this time, and that's a little disappointing, I'd really like to find pleasure in that I really like the stuff in this book itself (nothing has been as great as the opening chapter)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  21. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Glad you're enjoying it so far. It's a nice break from all the Jedi shenanigans and the jarring direction the galaxy is headed in. I echo your sentiment on Piggy. It's a hard-knock life for a Gamorrean, but I will say he is one of my favorite characters.

Also
    You haven't seen the last of Face.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Have you made it to Ackbar city?

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder how many other Vong ended up relatively integrated in post war GFFA society.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  24. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    yea, came and went, well Myri is still there, but the rest all have hijacked the Imperial ship now

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So what did you think about piggy's reaction to the city?

The Quad-Linked-militant-pacifists and the rest of that stuff?