main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite closing shot(s) in the Skywalker Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lulu Mars, Apr 1, 2022.

?

Read the opening post, then vote! :)

1. Peace! (TPM)

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Lake Wedding (AOTC)

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Binary Sunset (ROTS)

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  4. Cheers for the Heroes (ANH)

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  5. Rebel Fleet in Hiding (TESB)

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Happy Friends (ROTJ)

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  7. Lightsaber Offered (TFA)

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. A Child's Dream (TLJ)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Binary Sunrise (TROS)

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The final moment of a film can fill you with a sense of completion, excitement, anticipation, joy, sadness, indifference, disappointment, frustration... The possibilities are endless!
    How that closing shot makes you feel depends a great deal on the buildup towards it - and the movie as a whole, of course.

Is there one that you find particularly pleasing? Maybe you have several favorites?
    The reasons don't have to be emotional or in any way tied to the story. They can be purely aesthetic as well.

The screencaps below are from the last seconds before the iris-out in each episode. Take a look and think it over!

[​IMG]
    Peace!

[​IMG]
    Lake Wedding

[​IMG]
    Binary Sunset

[​IMG]
    Cheers for the Heroes

[​IMG]
    Rebel Fleet in Hiding

[​IMG]
    Happy Friends

[​IMG]
    Lightsaber Offered

[​IMG]
    A Child's Dream

[​IMG]
    Binary Sunrise

You're welcome to rank the endings too, if you want :)

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    TPM peace

ROTJ Happy Friends

TFA Lightsaber offered--- the possibilities were endless, but they went...there ...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  3. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    1. Binary Sunset (ROTS) - Ties the prequels back to the OT perfectly and inspires hope (Luke) after just witnessing disaster for the good guys.

2. Lightsaber Offered (TFA) - When TFA came out this ending got us excited to see Luke in Episode 8. Unfortunately it turned out to be a major letdown but at the time this was an exciting ending.

3. Happy Friends (ROTJ) - Probably the most feel good ending of the saga. Even more so than ANH.

Lulu Mars and Snafu55 like this.
  4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Cheers for the Heroes
    Happy Friends
    Rebel Fleet in Hiding
    Lightsaber Offered
    Binary Sunset
    Happy Friends
    Peace
    Binary Sunrise
    Literally the closing shot of every other movie
    A Child's Dream (words don't describe my distaste for this)

5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Binary Sunset
    Cheers for the Heroes
    Happy Friends

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Of these I like the AOTC ending the best. The music helps.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Binary Sunset.
    Not only is it (A relatively small) part of what makes ROTS merge so seamlessly into the OT, it also adds a little bit to Luke's character to know one of his most famous pastimes in the OT was inherited from his Adopted parents in a way.

8. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    My two favorite would have to be ROTS & TESB.

I love TPM & ANH's ending sequences as well though. The Naboo parade & Rebel award ceremony are both really cool.

9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Binary Sunset

Rebel Fleet in Hiding

Binary Sunrise

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TESB and ROTS are my top two. I really like the scene of Palpatine overseeing the clones, however that's not the closing shot.

11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Lake Wedding (AOTC)
    Cheers for the Heroes (ANH)
    Peace! (TPM)

12. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1) Peace!
    Fantastic art direction, and along with the music, is such a joyous moment.

2) Cheers for the Heroes!

Ditto. There's a storybook quality to this shot that I like.

3) A Child's Dream
    Nice way to show the impact and importance of the legend of Luke and SW in general.

Lake Wedding is beautiful, but the cap on a lackluster relationship.
    Binary Sunset would have been better if not for the poorly lit shot prior.
    Happy Friends is a nice frame, but feels a bit like Sesame Street with Lando clapping.
    Binary sunrise would have been better if it was earned.
    Offering the lightsaber would have better if not for the drawn out sequence. Michael Bay style rotating drone shot is a bit underwhelming.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Lake Wedding, for me. The last moments of AOTC really sell a sense of doom - not only for Anakin and Padmé, but the galaxy as a whole. After the preceding beginning of the Clone Wars and the Empire's formation as Palpatine is watching his army, this following wedding seems like a last hurray to the Republic and the beauty Naboo represents in that way. However, we all know by then that it's ill-fated. In the shot that @Lulu Mars posted, you can see that shimmer of sunlight still streaming through, but it's starting to be pushed aside and as the Droids are watching our fateful lovers, we know that this is the beginning of the end.

This No. 1 would be followed by Binary Sunset, Cheers for the Heroes and Peace! as they all work thematically and visually. Happy Friends is a wonderful ending montage, but I think that particular shot is too mundane to be ranked higher. Same for Rebel Fleet in Hiding, it's a good ending but quite forgettable as an individual shot, although I like that shot more than the specific shot from ROTJ.

Out of the ST, I like A Child's Dream simply from a visual point of you. Offering the Lightsaber had momentum as a scene, but I don't really like the way it's shot. Binary Sunrise looks like a cheap copy of THX's end and lacks any depth for me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ESB. After watching our heroes get battered and beaten for two hours straight, it left me with the impression that the Empire had finished striking back, but the Rebels had regrouped and now, it's our turn to do the striking. After all the doom and gloom, the hope in that shot was even more inspiring.

The other endings all struck me as corny or rehashes.

15. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    1. ROTJ ending. I don't care if it's corny, I love the happy ending. It feels earned by the end of the saga and fits with Star Wars' hopeful and optimistic feeling.

2. TESB ending. Lovely final shot and after all of the running and separation of our heroes through the story it's nice to see the rebels regrouped and ready to strike back. The uncertainty of Han's fate and Darth Vader's revelation hang over the otherwise hopeful ending which just leaves me dying to see what happens next.

3. ANH ending. Features one of my favorite themes in the saga. I enjoy it for similar reasons to ROTJ, though I think ROTJ has more impact.

16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    1. ANH: Pretty much perfect. Wish Chewie got the medal, though.
    2. ROTS: Very beautiful and hopeful after the darkest film in the saga.
    3. ROTJ: A final shot of seeing so many characters we love together.
    If Empire ended directly on the shot of Luke, Leia, and the droids, it would be the best.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm still trying to decide! [face_sigh]

One thing that strikes me as I look at the pictures, though, is that every trilogy has its distinct style - and that the shots from the third trilogy differs from the others in that they are more minimalistic. In fact, it's like they look less and less expensive as the Saga goes on (except for the expensive looking ships in TESB) - but the shots from the first two trilogies have more of a "final shot look", if you know what I mean (with the possible exception of TESB & ROTJ). It's like they were made to look more like paintings than scenes from a movie.
    I guess that's mainly GL's style, though.
    It's also interesting that TESB is the only episode where you don't see people in the final shot. The preceding shot, where Luke, Leia and the droids look out at the Falcon and the protostar, has more of that painting feel and is a perfect inversion of the lake wedding in AOTC since Anakin and Padmé watch the sun set while their children watch the birth of a new star.
    But I also like the feel of the final moment in the film being the Rebels sailing off to strike back against the Empire. Together with Lando and Chewie flying away to pursue Boba Fett, it gives the ending a much needed sense of hope. The story isn't over; things are still moving forward.

Watcherwithin, Sarge and oierem like this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I kinda dispute calling the RotJ ending ''corny''. I mean, maybe it is, but I rather like how humble and happy it is. The heroes aren't in a grand medal-giving ceremony or posing to make some epic cool shot in front of the sun. The last shot is something more akin to a family photo, and I think that's pretty perfect.

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I agree! It is a story of a family, after all. It's very fitting that the last thing we see is one "family photo" of the old generation (the ghosts) followed by one of the new.
    Corny? Sure! But what's wrong with that?

EDIT: Now I regret not calling that shot "Happy Family" :oops:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Sarge, Darth Dnej and CampOfSorgan like this.
  20. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Agreed that the ROTJ ending is kind of corny, but it's perfect that way. I wouldn't have it any other way. A perfectly happy and wholesome ending.

Subtext Mining, Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  21. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    My favourite is prob Empire strikes back, would be Jedi of the last shot had been the three ghosts.
    3.force awakens
    4.The last Jedi
    5.Attack of the clones
    6.Rise of skywalker
    7.Revenge of the sith
    8.a new hope
    9.phantom menace
    Ps Rogue one beats then all

clone commander bossk and Sarge like this.
  22. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021
    Lake wedding.I'm a romantic.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    After careful consideration, I decided to pick the closing shots from all six Lucas episodes:

Peace!
    Lake Wedding
    Binary Sunset
    Cheers for the Heroes
    Rebel Fleet in Hiding
    Happy
    Friends Family

To me, those shots combined represent a complete story and if I leave out just one, that story is significantly lesser.
    It's ultimately the ring composition of Episodes I-VI that I am a fan of.

It should be noted that I don't dislike any of these nine shots. A special mention to Lightsaber Offered, as it provided a great deal of anticipation. That is mostly due to the buildup, but the closing shot certainly added to the TESB-esque feeling that the story had just begun; that it was still being told as the credits rolled.
    This was the first trilogy opener in the Skywalker Saga that ended in such an unresolved way and that was exciting!

clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Binary Sunset is the best of them all.....It has its own music written by John Williams. How could you not ask for anything more?

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    All of them have their own music written by John Williams!