main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favorite Comic Book Character

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by nobeazer, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCosmicGeek

TheCosmicGeek Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2008
    They're bringing Bart back? Cool. It took a while for him to grow on me, and when he did, they killed him.

I'm a Wally West fan first, but I liked the chemistry between Bart and Wally.

2. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    If you read the JSA Lightning Saga, Bart is in the lightning rod. Apparently it was Bart that the LEGION was after all along (DiDio let that premise slip out at last year's WizardWorld when my friend asked if it was Barry Allen in the rod and DiDio said "You mean Bart." (much to the consternation of the rest of the DC panel)

3. Darkseid-Lives

Darkseid-Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2008
    Heh - Darkseid, naturally!

4. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    This is so tough - there are so many fantastic characters - I can't say I'd have a definite favorite.

I love Batman because of his dedication and persistence even when he's surrounded by meta-humans.

Wonder Woman because... well... she's awesome.

Wolverine, Rogue, and Storm are also in my top favs, but there's a difference between liking the character themselves or just their powers. For instance, I love Magneto's powers but despise the character.

5. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    That's my favorite Wolverine moment too. He's also got my favorite line from any comic in the Dark Phoenix saga. It's when Cyclops asks Logan what happened to Leland after their second throw down. Wolvernine just says "Don't ask." Classic :p

So Wolverine's my favorite and has been for several years now. I just love his irreverant attitude and badassness.

Second favorite right now is Iron Man. And, I freely admit it, I only started getting interested in the character after I'd seen the movie. Seriously, I knew next to nothing about Tony Stark before the film and I'm enjoying catching up on his whole history.

Then I also loved the X-Men before Grant Morrison got his hands on them. I bought their comic faithfully until Morrison came on board and the series just got too weird for me. However, this actually worked out pretty well for me because right around the time that he came on board was when I was starting college and had less money to spend on comics. So I didn't have any problem giving them up. It's years later now and I still haven't gotten back into their books.

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Stark is awsome. I have followed him off and on since I was about 12. "Iron Man: Director of Shield" and "The Invincible Iron Man" are both great titles, if you don't read them you may want to look into them both.

7. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    I just recently watched the animated "Gotham Knight" dvd that came out, and theres a special making of segment for the new Wonder Woman animated feature =)

Keri Russell, Rosario Dawson, and Nathan Fillion are some of the voice actors...though I am not a particular fan...it looked like it may be a good watch.

This was the first I had heard of it, thought I'd mention it for ya =)

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    For you Wolverine fans:

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/poster4.jpg]

I need to find a t-shirt of that.

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Thanks! :) I've decided to get a subscription to The Invincible Iron Man. I've read the first couple of issues in the stores and it looks good enough for me to keep up with it on a regular basis.

10. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Aw shucks - thanks! [face_blush]:)

I hope it's good. I love Nathan Fillon and Keri Russel - I'm sure they'll be fantastic.

But I digress - this is the comic book thread - the cartoon's for the Film thread.

One reason I love the character of Diana is because she's not afraid to kick butt. I really hate the damsel in distress act, and she takes the initiative. I'd like to see more heroines like her. Black Canary, Batgirl, and Huntress are more heroines I love because of that.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Rorschach from Alan Moore's Watchmen, Banshee from X-Men, and Batman.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Batman is definitely my favorite character. He was the first super hero I recall. Dude, has his own car and mansion. I seriously loved watch the Adam West 60s TV show too. And like many people with their favorite characters, I find elements in Batman persona in myself, such as a preference to work alone. Moreover a feeling of darkness and righteousness. One of the many things that I like about Batman, is he's doesn't have any unnatural super powers. He's just smarter and more determined than anyone. It's his will, skill and tenacity that makes him super; which wasn't given to him at birth or provided through some accident. He earned it. He walked the earth training and seeking ways to reached the pinnacle of the human condition. Additionally, I like his Dark edge and mistrust of the other super heroes (as demonstrated in the Tower of Babel and Kingdom Come). Batman is the ultimate vigilante, that not only watches the bad guys, but watches the watchmen as well.

Wolverine is my second favorite, because he's the first anti-hero I remember. Sure, Batman has been labeled the dark knight, but he works closely with law enforcement officials. Wolverine is the first character (I recall) dispensing a different brand of justice on the bad guys; do whatever it takes to make sure the baddies stay down. Plus, his physical design and abilities are just too cool. I mean, "SNIKT!" is totally badass! That's just totally intimidating in a bar fight or dark alley. No matter how glamourize the gun is, there's nothing like the good old hand to hand combat and butt kicking to get the juices flowing. Moreover, there are too many heroes that we cheer for to go bezerk (see current X-Force storyline).

Yes, I love the Dark Claw image.

Spider-Man because it would be cool to walk on walls, spin webs any size and catch thieves just like flies. Spidey is totally kid friendly with a catchy classic tune.

Recently, I've really liked Ms. Marvel. One, because she's a hot blonde with big guns. :p Seriously though, in her own series she's struggling with balancing her super hero with her love life from a female perspective. The last few issues have been relating interesting with the Secret Invasion tie-ins, as she revisits her Kree Warrior side and takes out Skrulls left and right.

I've always like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and of course Snake Eyes and StormShadow.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Totally agreed. Ms. Marvel has been an extremely entertaining title for the past few months, and the hotness doesn't hurt either. :p

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Marvel really seems to be pushing Ms. Marvel over the last two or three years, trying to make her into something like their answer to Wonder Woman. I'm not sure if the push is working at really building underlying support for the character, long term love like characters like Iron Man and the Hulk and Captain America and Thor enjoy. Only time will tell.

Spider-woman is another that they've pushed lately. Given recent developments with that character, I'm somewhat curious as to how they'll maintain the push - she's supposedly around post SI. I wonder if the Skrull Queen will end up basically getting brain washed or otherwise converted into being Jessica in truth?

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Here's a question. Do you hate it when your favorite character gets nope? Wolverine once got stabbed thgrough the stomach and it took him weeks to recover, but recently was blown to bits so only his bones remained yet he regenerated in short order. Recently Iron Fist punched a train, it was sort of cool but over the top really despite the explanation.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Jonathan Crane, hands down, no question, my favourite character.

17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    NIAWYC. But then, I think that is a big problem with Marvel today. When I was a kid (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth:p) Marvel heroes tended to be less powerful than their DC counterparts, and there was a good range of strength/power levels: Thor and Hulk were pretty much the strongest characters in the MU, with the Thing being a little lower, and Colossus and Iron Man being a tier down from him.

However, now Marvel has upped everybody's power-levels to "over 9,000!!1!" to impress the kids. Though I don't follow the comics anymore, I know that Power Man, Nova, Wolverine etc have all had their powers increased from street-level heroes to demi-god status; Captain America, from what I understand, cannot lose a fight (okay, he's dead now, but before that) no matter how overmatched he is, and Hawkeye, the worlds greatest archer, now is so skilled at hand-to-hand combat (and swordsmanship) that he can take on Hand ninjas and grind them into the dirt!

In the 90's Claremont turned Kitty Pryde from one of my favourite characters into a Mary-Sue like figure whom I loathe to this day, and Grunewald put me off Captain America in a similar way. Heroes need limits, especially when they interact with one another, imo.

18. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I would have to say Batman because he can't rely on a superpower to get him out of situations.

19. EmeraldSpeedster

EmeraldSpeedster Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2008
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan): Along with all the other Green Lanterns out there, Hal is one of my absolute favorite heroes. The basis of pure willpower as a superpower is just absolutely thrilling. I don't care that he does in fact have a ring, like Batman, the Lantern is really all based on what is inside the person. Take it away, Hal is still the smoothest man with the ladies, the bravest and the boldest and has guts that match even the bat's. Plus, he ended the universe, resurrected Green Arrow, served as the spirit of vengeance and is soon to head up his own Justice League. Amazing guy.

Flash (Barry Allen): The other Flashes get their props too, but it all goes back to Barry, truly fastest alive. Not only that, but intelligent as can be. Plus, look at that gallery of rogues! He has some of the toughest punks in the entire business. I mean, the guy died in like '86 and is still being worshipped by crazy fanboys to the point that he just got raised again. Plus, there is just something that rings in him about being wholesome moral values and such.

Cyclone and Starman: These pair of oddballs on the Justice Society are two of the biggest reasons I am still reading comics. Taking a completely new character and one that has been somewhat forgotten since an age ago, tossing them together and letting the crazy ensue. Cyclone is every silly, wonderfully excited fangirl that has ever walked this Earth. Starman is a gravity manipulator residing in an insane asylum hailing from a future where he dated a star-marked blonde girl. Throw in an unhealthy appetite for the Wizard of Oz and Sloppy Joes and you get perhaps the greatest little duo ever. I know I'm quite insane myself for suggesting it, but I wish they had their own solo book, and I would buy it every week without fail. If it was weekly. That is my post-trinity suggestion.

Booster Gold and Blue Beetle: Hugest ego ever and Mr. sweet and humble pie, smashed together for comic comedy. Add to the mix Ted's most spectacular death scene and final line ever, Booster's developing humanity and his new role as greatest hero to never be known, the Blue and Gold get a place on the list.

Wolverine: 'Nuff said. Well, okay, almost. Overused, overloved, overly dramatic. But childhood favorites just don't leave your list. Wish he'd quit appearing in every single title in the universe though. He should just go back to Alpha Flight and a spare X-Men team.

Shadowcat: First crush of my life. Loved her completely and absolutely. Lockheed goes along with her because who doesn't love a purple dragon. Hopefully it won't be too long until they're back again.

Doctor Strange: Love the look, love the unlimited power, love the personality that goes along with it. One of the awesome guest star characters, although some day I hope his solo title will come back to life for a good run.

The Thing: Relatable guy. Big tough and ugly, but really soft and even sweet. Can't go wrong with Grimm. Kinda hate the other three though.

Alex Wilder: One of the greatest characters in recent history. Got a sketch of him from Adrian Alphona. Love it. To death.

Others Near the Top: Green Arrow, Batman, Nightwing, Captain America, Black Adam, Joker (only character to ever seriously scare me, regular nightmares, yay), Juggernaut, Darkseid, Rorschach, Puck, Shaman and a veritable host of others.

Hulk is working on it to my great surprise. He almost had it during Planet Hulk (the first time I ever even remotely liked him), but then WWH happened.

Props on the Madrox pick, he is a great character. Layla Miller too. Really, all of X-Factor is doing just great.

Edit: Additions: Detective Chimp, Ragman, Secret Six, Knockout

20. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Darkseid- Loved when he basically called Thanos a poor imitation of himself (Darkseid) in the Marvel vs DC series.

The man without fear (Daredevil) and The Punisher- I love the interaction, argument, and of course the fights between the two.

21. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    My, hard to choose, there are a lot that I like. But cutting it down, I would have to say the Summers brothers are my top favs.

Scott: Simply because of his character. He's tough, strong and even though he's condemned for trying to act perfect, it's so obvious he knows he's anything but. I know, pretty cliché considering a lot of chars are like that, but there's just something I'm not sure how to explain that makes me really like his character.

Alex:... Probably because in a lot of ways he's the opposite of Scott. He doesn't have the same back bone, he's hot tempered, and it's amusing how many times he's been turned against Scott, either using his own feelings or because something has seen fit to control him.

22. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Batman from DC.

Nate Grey from Marvel.

23. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    When I used read stuff by Marvel, the X-Men books for the most part, I had plenty of favorite characters such as:

Deadpool, because he was just so funny.

Beak, he was an underdog if there ever was one.

Abyss, particulary the Age of Apocalypse version. He was one sadistic nut. I found his comparision of humans to chewing gum humorous.

Cable. I just thought he was cool.

Domino. I liked her snippy attitude towards Cable. It made for some good comic relief.

Vengeance, mainly for his debut when he pretty much trashed Ghost Rider. I don't dislike Ghost Rider, but that fight scene with Adam Kubert's pencilwork really wowed me.

Marrow, especially when Frank Tieri started writing her and gave her back her meanstreak.

Morbius. Most of the issues I read of him from his own series, and I found him to be a tragic character.

I hardly ever read much from DC, but I liked the dog Bandit from WE3. Who's a gud dog? He's a gud dog. :)

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Captain Cold is the best cold related villain ever.

25. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Someone just read Rogues Revenge :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.