main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Favorite Film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkslayer, Apr 9, 2019.

?

What Is Your Favorite Star Wars Movie?

1. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

6.6%
  2. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

5.5%
  3. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

23.1%
  4. Solo: A Star Wars Story

1.1%
  5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

4.4%
  6. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

16.5%
  7. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

29.7%
  8. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

2.2%
  9. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

1.1%
  10. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    The Phantom Menace. AFAIAC it is equal to A New Hope in it’s risk factor. But the difference was the chance the great man George Lucas to show his Story (History) how Star Wars was manifesting in his mind. The Beginning of the Saga.

Everything else in TPM was icing on the cake to this 50 year old refusing to grow up child. :D

Cheers!

MJ

2. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Revenge of the Sith.

The opening battle sequence with Anakin and Obi Wan all the way through to Anakin's landing of half of Grievous' command ship on Coruscant is one of my favorites in the entire saga. The banter between the two and Anakin's refusal to leave Obi Wan behind at Palps prompting was the comraderie I felt hinted at by Guiness in ANH when he tells Luke that Anakin was a great pilot and a good friend. Obi Wan force jumping, R2 and his never ending bag of tricks, the number of lightsaber duels, and the sheer amount of emotion the story evokes despite knowing exactly what's coming.

Anakin leaving Shmi was hard to watch, Anakin finding his mother minutes from death was harder to watch, and the latter half of ROTS is heartbreaking for me. The soundtrack makes it even more gut wrenching. No matter how many times I watch it, I can't help wishing things didn't end the way they did.

3. Atollon_Dweller

Atollon_Dweller Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2019
    Return of the Jedi.

Jabbas palace, the battle over the sarlacc, the space battle over endor, all the Vader and Luke scenes, the ending with the ghosts and the celebration..

It's got so much memorable stuff in it. The music is great. I honestly like Yub Nub and Victory Celebration about the same. I do not like Jedi Rocks though lol. Lapti Nek is so much better.

4. Collipso

Collipso Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    ah, what a nice idea for a thread! so positive!

i'll have to go with the original, 1977's Star Wars. contrasting with RotS this film gets even better, going from conflicts of a galactic scale to the tale of a farm boy caught up in a conflict larger than anything he could ever imagine.

the chemistry between the characters is probably the best in the franchise, the classic trio is just... perfect. everything about this film makes me so happy. definitely the simplest of all of them, but the one that gets me hooked the most. Ben is just fantastic all throughout, impressing the audience as much as he impresses Luke with all of his force powers and mind tricks... the look he gives to Luke right before Vader slays him still gives me chills. and nothing, absolutely nothing in the Star Wars franchise (and very few things in the real world too, actually) get me as excited and happy as watching the attack on the Death Star. when the music kicks back in, i'm in for the ride of my life, no matter how many times i've watched it. i still get shivers down my spine in "use the force, Luke" and in "you're all clear kid now let's blow this thing and go home!" every single time.

just a fantastic film all throughout. one of the best made in the franchise too. i love them all though, very very much.

once again, great thread. reading everyone's takes so full of happiness talking about movies they love just fills me with happiness too. :D

5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I voted for Empire, But I find It more of a tie between A New Hope, Empire, and Revenge of the Sith. ALL Fantastic for different reasons.

Jesta' likes this.
  6. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I actually think Star Wars: The Last Jedi might be my favorite. It has all my favorite characters (Luke, Finn, Rey, Poe, Rose, Kylo, Leia, Yoda), my favorite character development, and I watch it more than any other Star Wars film these days.

I do also love TFA and Empire (obviously the best SW film overall), but I've come to notice the flaws in TFA more and more, while Empire just doesn't have my favorite cast in it. ROTJ has my favorite lightsaber battle, ANH is a masterpiece, and I have a soft spot for ROTS even though I have many, many issues with it.

obi1jedinite likes this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think all of the six movies are genius--occasionally for different reasons--but ultimately ROTS was and still is the most satisfying for me. Best drama, best action, best plot, best balance between "classical" themes and pulp space opera.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Subtext Mining and Jesta' like this.
  8. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    There are ten movies in the saga btw. I agree on everything you said about ROTS!!

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That business with Disney doesn't, doesn't count :p

I kid, I kid! I like a lot of it well enough, but the Disney movies have, for me, mostly failed to capture the old magic so far.

10. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    AOTC for me.

The way the movie segues and morphs from scene to scene in a dreamlike state, whilst showcasing a plethora of symbols, whilst being the first big budget piece of art presented on a digital canvas, whilst honouring it's b-movie roots, whilst mirroring it's older brother, whilst expanding the SW's universe to a higher level (of consciousness), it's dense, it's almost impenetrable, there's no movie like it.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars film. The banter and bond between Obi-Wan and Anakin as brothers and best friends in the beginning. The sweetness of Anakin's reunion with Padme and reaction to her pregnancy. The creepiness of all the scenes where Palpatine manipulates him. The horror of his slaughter at the Temple. The heartbreak of his choking Padme. The epic duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin that always ends with tears in my eyes when Obi-Wan answers Anakin's cry of hate with a declaration that Anakin was his brother and he had loved him. The final horror of Vader encased in his black suit. The ending note of hope when Leia and Luke are given to their adoptive families. It all works so well for me and tugs at my heartstrings like a true tragedy.

12. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    The Empire Strikes Back.

The film is an improvement on the masterpiece that is A New Hope.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    yuppers

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A New Hope. Not only is it my favorite Star Wars film, it's my favorite movie, period. The thing is, there are other films in the saga that have "more _____" compared to ANH. Return of the Jedi has more emotional resonance. Revenge of the Sith has more melodrama and tragedy. Both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have more world building. The Force Awakens is more fun and exciting, and The Last Jedi has more thematic depth and more complex characters. And putting them all side by side, The Empire Strikes Back stands above the rest as the overall best piece of filmmaking in the series, with the best writing, direction, and cinematography out of them all.

But A New Hope is the greatest. It's the only one that stands alone as a unique, singular piece of Americana, as pure a slice of American cinema as you can possibly find, filled with both the genuine hopes and fears of a filmmaker looking at the state of his country in the years following and shaped by the Vietnam War. Looking at the original, theatrically released versions of the film, you have a movie that is defined by its limitations, and which inexplicably thrives because of them rather than being held back. It is a miracle of a movie that, on paper, should not work, but everything came together in a perfect alchemy to create one of the most iconic and influential films of all time.

It tells as simple and archetypal a story as possible, juxtaposed against the backdrop of a used and dirty sci-fi world that no doubt felt like the endpoint of the trajectory the US and the world was on at the time, but filtered through a lens of fairytale story logic, and populated by characters who by all rights should be nothing more than bland, one-note archetypes, but who come to life on screen with vibrant energy. The film hits every one of its notes with near perfection, and clips along at such a breathless pace that it recovers from its rare stumbles before you've even had a chance to register them.

And yet, despite the movie's quick pace, it doesn't forget to give us moments to get to know the characters as people, to watch them interact with each other, to let the audience drink in the glimpses we receive of this alien yet recognizable world. Some of the film's best scenes don't involve action, they're as simple as Luke hanging out with the droids in his garage, or everyone catching a breather in the Millennium Falcon's common area. Those quiet moments of human simplicity are something the ensuing sequels and prequels and spin-offs have often forgotten in their pursuit of upping the scale of the story and action and world building. It's those moments that make the film feel distinctly human, and ignoring how spectacular all the action sequences and special effects were in 1977 (which somehow feel both somewhat quaint and no less thrilling 42 years later), I think peppering those moments throughout the film are a large part of why it resonated so strongly upon its release, and why it and the series it spawned continue to resonate to this day.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I view all eight (and soon to be nine) saga films as one long film and thus the Star Wars Saga is my favorite film of all time.

16. JediRaiden

JediRaiden Jedi Padawan

Jul 1, 2019
    Empire Strikes Back... a stereotypical choice, but seriously, it's still that one SW movie that really defined the series for me. It gave the main cast much more development and character, gave Han Solo some great time to shine, and showed how dangerous the empire can be. I wasn't really a fan of how the empire were getting their ass beat by teddy bears and how Han was more goofy in ROTJ. On top of that, the battle of Hoth is just a complete joy to watch and is one of the most unique battles in the series. ESB had a perfect mixture of everything imo, a perfect balance of action, story, atmosphere, character development, even some minor romance. It's just excellent. There's a reason it's the cliche choice for most people's favourite.

Chancellor Yoda and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    The 1977 Star Wars film because it is pure magic.

18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I feel strange for even saying this, because I'm an older fan, and without the OT and especially ANH it would not even exist, but... these days I think it's Rogue One. :eek: That movie was such a blend of Star Wars concepts and situations that I love, and it checked so many boxes in just the right ways that, I absolutely adore it. There are only a few small things that I don't like in it. Also, if it weren't for RO, my interest in the Disney era SW would have probably died after the awful TFA.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  19. FutureEmperor

FutureEmperor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 1998
    B_S, now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time...

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  20. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    It's always nice to run into one of the old hands. :)

FutureEmperor and christophero30 like this.
  21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    [face_love]

22. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    ESB

Certainly not a uncommon pick, but I can't help it. Its too damn good and my favorite film of all time.

christophero30 and Deliveranze like this.
  23. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    The Empire Strikes Back is not just a great Star Wars movie but an amazing movie on its own.

Revenge of the Sith is a close second for me because its one of the most fun to watch.

24. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I agree. The de-specialized version is the closest to the original that I've seen and it sure is magic.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  25. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    When I was a kid it was The Phantom Menace, but today I would say all of Episode 1-6, but I voted for Revenge of the Sith.
    Its the end of the Jedi era, Anakins fall to the dark side and his transformation to Darth Vader.
    I also love the duel between Obi Wan and Anakin it is amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.