main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favourite scottish fayre...

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by MOTs_Minx, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm having scotch pie & chips tonight. Ma mammy brought down 4 pies (2 of which are in my freezer)...

I shoulda got her to bring down some square sausage and tottie scones too - hmph!

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    getting deja vu on this one Minxy...

but I'll play anyway :D

My favourite Scotch fayre would be a combination platter of island produced strong cheddar and smoked salmon...

but if it has to be a pie, I'd go for a Firhill" liquidised sheeps' lips" special everytime..........

3. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Mmmmm my personal favorite are them sometimes at home, but I haven't had one for awhile. When I do eat them, it's usually at summer Highland Games here. yeah, a heavy fat filled meat pastry on hot humid southern Indiana day. Yum yum! ;) But I do love Bridies. They are by far my favorite.

4. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Sheesh, I havent had a bridie for ages.

They don't have them down here...just cornish pasties.

5. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    deep fried mars bars ;)

6. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Now thats just boggin, Gav.

7. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    *sends Cass her own special recipe Bridie* Eww, just realized that by the time you got that, it would be all bad. Sorry bout that!

8. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    LOL

Just had a can of our other national drink.

And it was yummy

9. Vlad-the-Inhaler

Vlad-the-Inhaler Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I adore der bleck puddinks [face_love]
    Blud, oatmeal, pepper and a leetle bit more blud ? vot is dere not to like about der bleck puddinks?

10. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    LMAO

You crack me up.

Black pudding, beans & chips...most yummy tea.

11. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I was oot in Braemar yesterday and they had heaps of scottish fayre cos the only shops there are tourist shops and tea rooms. Oh and there were americans everywhere :mad:

edited for profanity

12. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    Corn-fed american , roasted in a fine blackcurrent jus, with neeps and tatties....

yummmmmmmmm

13. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    The fatter the better, huh?

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey hey hey!! I resemble that remark! ;)

At least we *can* eat meat here. Just for that, I'm going to have a steak tonight with all your names on it! Ha ha!

15. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Wow! Has it been genetically modified? ;)

16. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Eh probably. *shrugs*

I tell you, the way things have gotten out of hand wiht preservatives, hormones, etc., it's just ridiculous. I cannot eat turkey because something they've added in makes me very sick.

Is it like that over there at all?

17. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    No...and scottish beef is the best in the world. We didn't worry about the BSE rubbish that was going around.

Its just funny imported stuff.

18. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ahh yeah. This is sort of the description of American made foods:

If they aren't "diet" foods, they're usually over processed. If they are diet foods, they have some sort of unnatural fat replacement, or they put lots of sugar or salt or partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it to make it taste tolerable.

I have a problem with preservatives that are put into some foods. I really can't eat or drink some things because they make me sick. That's why I'm glad we have decently priced organic food stores around here. Or stores that give you that option along with the normal foods. It's awful.

And yeah, I've heard about Scottish beef. Never had it, but would like to...well maybe after all this disease stuff passes over ;)

19. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    in the real world, I work as a food, farming and environmental journalist, so I've pretty much been writing about BSE, foot-and-mouth, hormone growth stimulators, growth promoting antibiotics etc etc for the last 10 years...

of course there is still a lot of scientific debate about many of these things, but I can say with confidence that

a) Scotch beef ..... steaks etc sold under a specific 'Scotch beef'' label, are absolutely and utterly great, and have absolutely nothing to do wth BSE etc and never did.

The 'beef'' of the BSE scandal was actually derived from old dairy cows, fed all ther lives on concentrate feeds...... and was way too nasty to eat as steak. It went into ultra-cheap burgers and pies.
    Unfortunately, media confusion damned the dedicated beef industry, when it was actually squeaky clean.

b) animals raised outdoors and fed on pasture produce superiorand "safe" meat, athough the fat content is obviously a threat if you are an idle bastard

c)intensively reared meat ? in particular the cheap chicken that forms the basis of so much fast-food - is dodgy as all hell, and will be the subject of much scandal and horror in years to come.... the public, both UK and American, will eventually realise that the whole idea of 'cheap' meat is a mistake....

Unless, of course, its a corn-fed american tourist, with tarragon butter and a selection of garden vegetables......

20. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    So in your informed opinion, Gordy...

...does fresh chicken from the supermarket come under this heading too?

Or is that ok...

...cuz I try...TRY not to have anything dodgy and try to have no preservatives and additives etc...thats why me and Jon prefer to cook everything from curries and pies and stuff ourselves so we know exactly whats going in it.

21. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    there are so many price classes of chicken now, it is hard to be definitive........... however, cheap and frozen often means imported, and occasionally means imported from outwith the EU's regulatory system...

cheap and fresh? well, I'd look for a "British" label, or the 'little red tractor' UK farm assurance label.

Organic chicken is relatively expensive, but at least with that you are guaranteed that its not been dosed with antibiotics at every feeding time....

If in doubt about a product's origins because of hazy labelling terms, march up to the butchers' counter and demand chapter and verse ....

22. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Excellent...thanks Gordy.

23. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Thanks for the info MrDD.
    to be honest I haven't had beef since I came to Scotland. And I was always getting chicken burgers at McD's.
    Stupid greek!

24. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    LOL, and thats the manky Chicken!!!

You mean...you've been in Glasgow and you haveny had Mince & Tatties?????

Right...grab him!

25. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    *shaking*
    forgive me!
    i didn't mean to....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.