main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2016 Word Race! Please Post final counts by March 2nd!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 18, 2016.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm back, so the list has been updated :) Please let me know if I missed anything.

I got nothing done over my vacation, but since I knew I wasn't going to, I didn't bring my laptop anyways. I'm feeling fairly tired right now. Part of me wants to take advantage of this evening and get started on some fic (since I'm not going to be productive on my pending papers in my current state). The other part of me is going "omg! a real bed you don't have to share or worry about falling out of! sleeep! sleeeeep now!"

EDIT: So, after a nap, I got struck with an idea and ended up writing some decent stuff. My total is now 1264 (I added some outlining I did before I left). I'm going to try to focus on some schoolwork tomorrow, but maybe I can salvage what is left of my break and actually maybe manage to get out a chapter this month.

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I transferred about half of what I wrote on my tablet to the laptop and did some minor editing, just so as not to do 'select all' + 'delete'. New total 4644 words.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    11060 after having expanded some chapters, wrote some more footnotes and such. Planning to revise the outline for my late 2016-and-beyond longfic, just to make sure I'm getting everything right.

This challenge is helping me focus on work and my websites, too. The whole idea of setting goals seems to be working even without the idea of doing creative work under duress, which I'm opposed to in general. I guess that, when one is always inspired, these challenge can serve as a push in the right direction.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    1702 words.

Since I've started on a new chapter--which is when I always write at the thrilling pace of continental drift--I only managed to scratch out about five sentences in my figurative blood today. Tomorrow, I might very well rewrite every single word of them another few times, so I had better count them up now.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I would like to participate. I go through fits and starts with my writing and it would be good to set some goals for myself. I have had an unusually productive first week of Feb (which probably means I won't write anything for the rest of the month!!) and my word count is 19,392.

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Woo-hoo!

Findswoman and gaarastar58 like this.
  7. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Current word count 3107 :)

8. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Aw, if only I found this sooner! [face_blush] I'd like to sign up, if it's not too late. This could be just the "challenge" I need to get my story post-worthy!

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

If you ever need to bounce it off somebody supportive, just shout! :)

gaarastar58 likes this.
  10. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    :eek: Really?

Thank you so much, I will! :)

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Really, always. :) I've been looking at your posting about it for a long time now and I think a fresh pair of eyes will break whatever can't-post-won't-post-don't-think-it's-good spell it is! ;)

Padawan4687 and Findswoman like this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yep, I will add you to the participants list :)

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I was slowed down a bit this week by what I think must be the upper respiratory virus of the century, but I managed to rebound a little and get back more or less on track, and I'm happy to report I'm now at 2352.

14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Moving along at a snail's pace, I've been stuck on one chapter of a fic and too stubborn to work on anything else. 2159 words.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope you feel better Finds.

And, JadeLotus, I know the feeling. Sometimes I just have to make something work before I can move on.

I shirked some responsibilities and got to a solid 2724. I gotta focus on some schoolwork over the next coming days, but my goal for this month is to get my first 'required' 3000 words done for the first quarter of the 50 Titles challenge. I'm about 700 words away from that, so I'm ending tonight feeling a bit better about my decision to completely start that challenge over.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Now at 4650 words

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Currently stuck at same amount of words. Probably not going to write anything else this month.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    2394 words.

19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Cleaned up and posted the vignette I wrote on the plane. Total 6077 words.

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Made it to 3189. About 500 of the new words were in service of a totally cracky non-SW plot bunny that just sort of popped into my head as I was falling asleep last night, but the main stuff is coming along on schedule too.

Chyntuck, gaarastar58 and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    I managed to hit 1496 words tonight! :D It's a start, I think!

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

You totally got the ball rolling!

Findswoman and Padawan4687 like this.
  23. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    :D I hope I don't lose points for starting the writing in the middle... The proper beginning is taking me absolutely forever to decide!

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Counts have been updated. Let me know if I messed anything up. I wouldn't be surprised in my current state of mind.

I did some rearranging. I'm much happier with my fic now, but I only managed to get up to 3169, despite it being really late here.

So, we are more or less half way through the month. Does anyone feel like they will be able to double (or more) their word count? Or are you feeling burnt out.

Maybe it's my current state of mind, but I'm feeling kinda blah. If I manage to get some good nights in, I might be able to double it, but I'll be surprised if I get to 5000. This just has not been a productive month for me.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Briannakin You didn't update my count - which in the meantime changed to 13525, and you did not add gaarastar58 to the race. Hope that helps. :)

And try to write when sleep-deprived. Cool stuff comes out of one's mind that way!

Findswoman and gaarastar58 like this.