main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2016 Word Race! Please Post final counts by March 2nd!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 18, 2016.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Word count now is 40,667.

I'd just like to say that this is hugely unusual for me. I spent from January to November of last year barely writing anything at all, maybe 1500 words the whole ten months. So.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Finished off a DANL chapter, 1405 words.

Now on 6247.

Mm. 10k not looking so unobtainable now.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    28164 as of...now.

My goal is to beat my own Spring Word Race 2015 result of 29385. Should not be a problem, even though Meow is the shortest month of the year.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I finally got something written, namely a couple of RPG posts last Saturday night, but I haven't counted the words yet.

"Meow"? :p

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    For some reason, people in my country believe that cats mate only in February.

jcgoble3 and Findswoman like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My muse did not come to the table as strongly, tonight. 271 words done. 6518.

My total would be a bit higher if we could include RP stuff, but the OP put in caps that this has to be fanfiction only. :(

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    On the previous word races, I asked and was told I could count RPG posts if they were intended to be posted here on the JCF. Briannakin?

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Me too.

I'm assuming she reiterated it again in caps for a reason.

Unless it was copy and pasted from an earlier thread.

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, RP does count (yeah it was a C+P I should probably edit)

jcgoble3, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I only made it up to 7683 today.

But, on the plus side, I worked my butt off on my paper and now I'm ~200 words (and a bibliography) away from finishing, so, I'm hopefully going to do that tomorrow, then have a nice write-athon either Thursday or Friday, so my 10k goal is still in sight.

12. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    7048 words.

While I'm not going to make a goal of it, I may yet make it to 10,000 words for the month.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    6470, thanks to a major push the last couple days. At this point, I think this will be my monthly total, because I've got brain fry now. :p

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well. With February's RP posts added, I easily breached 11,000 words, however, for my own peace of mind, and not wanting to feel like a fraud, I knocked off 300 as a couple of my posts featured the words of the character that mine was holding a conversation with.

So, 10,893 as of today.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Today instead of writing more, I cut 1200 words from a chapter that was already written 8-}

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I officially said "screw this, I am done blabbing" on my paper (I got up to 2800 words, that should suffice), so tonight and tomorrow is all about fanfic!

So, quick discussion question. With some amazing word counts, some of us must be close to finishing current projects. So, how do you guys decide what to start on next? Because, while I'm not close to being done my 50 titles challenge fic, I have over 7000 words written, meaning I can afford to slack off on that (and let some of my ideas "marinate") for few months. So, I want to spend my write-athon tomorrow working on something fresh and new. I have a few ideas tumbling around, but nothing really begging to be started.

17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    In my case, the decision on what to write next is currently being determined by the story. A longer fic requires continual attention, and sooner or later that will get worked on. If there's a shorter fic, then that will divert me until it's finished. Sometimes that means working on multiple fics within the same period of time.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm not anywhere near finishing any of my projects.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated.

I got nothing done today (well, besides the dumb paper). I have a craving to start something new (I rarely work on only one thing at a time - I often like to have 2 on the go so I can bounce from one to the other), so I've listed all my ideas, but nothing really sticks out at me. It doesn't help that I seem to either be in the "wow, that is way too dark for these boards" range, or fics that feature small children (which, I'm already working on one of those right now, I don't want that to be an element in my next fic).

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

No finishing, believe it or not! I'm surprised by this myself, so thanks for the thought-provoking discussion topic.

Let's see what I've been working on so far - everything is in the middle of being done.

- For my current Ewoks longfic, I wrote about 500 words. The next two chapters may be too mundane and meh to my taste, but once they've passed, I expect that the rest will be very easy to write. The story is still in its first third.

- The other current longfic accounts for about a quarter of words I wrote this month. Three long, action-packed chapters and more to come. Given how much trouble I had starting that story and updating it regularly, I'm pleasantly surprised. The story has progressed into its second third, perhaps I may get half of it written by the end of the month.

- My DDC is the other thing that has been thriving this month. Writing it the way I approached, in the stream-of-consciousness manner, makes it so much fun. I never wrote in first person until I tackled Luke's POV in another story and I had no idea how much it unleashes the moose (pun perfectly intended, thank you).

- The fic that started out as my Fifty Titles challenge contribution and ended up as two stories in one is thriving as well. The idea of writing two stories, one autobiography and one biography, from two different POVs is very inspiring to me and I'm enjoying it bigtime.

- The upcoming sequel to all of those has crossed 50K last month and is being written slowly, with no pressure, but it's thriving as well. It was a story with only a couple of crappy dialogue scenes written before the Spring 2015 Word Challenge, funny enough. :)

- The TFA mid-length fic suffered just like my Ewoks fic did. I did not even sit down to think about it, I only wrote a single paragraph I had on my mind for later in the story.

- The fanon challenge response, I'm approaching it slowly, since one of the elements I got is explored in a story with too much going on within a pretty simple narrative, so I need to study it further. So far, I have the prologue and it's lyrical beyond all possible beyondness. I think divapilot will like it, not sure how to explain.

The rest of my word count accounts for a Valentine's Day crack!fic, the difference in the rewrite of the last year's Valentine's story compared to the original, extensive footnotes and the beginning of what will probably be my 2017 Valentine's story. I did not think of my response for the current OC challenge yet and I did not write a single new word for my second response to the French Literature Challenge, toying with the idea of having two responses, as the sentence is downright amazing.

This!

On top of this, this is precisely what I needed to kick off stuff at work, too. I stagnated for a year and lived on royalties from my viral video and money I earned in 2014 and early 2015. But this got me so confident of my abilities in general that it's almost unbelievable. I wrote an insane amount of code the other day and finished the Comic Con website. Go, Word Race, go. You change lives, you silly little competition, you. :)

As far as ideas for you go, Briannakin, I would totally want to read something involving wild animals on campuses in the GFFA. I got a giggle out of the photo you posted yesterday, regardless of how disturbing the whole concept was and I think you could write a crack!fic. So...there it is, a nonsensical, unhinged plot bunny from me to you. It would probably get you to 10K.

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, people, I am so, so, so embarrassed. My word count is still exactly the same as it was, which is due to RL but also to the whole finished-a-chpater-and-then-have-to-start-new-one burnout to which I'm sometimes subejct—anyone else get that feeling after finishing a chapter or a major segment of a story? I am going to try to put in a burst in these next few days to at least get up past 5000 (I don't think beating my previous figure of 6726 is going to be feasible at this point).

But even if I for some reason stay at my 4300-whatever figure, it's still a bunch more than I probably would have written in a non-Word Race month. This competition does change lives! :)

In answer to Briannakin 's question: as with Ewok Poet, my projects are by no means finished. OK, I wrapped up a chapter (and a part) of my longfic, and I finished the one short, humorous story. But the longfic is far from complete, and other short-story projects (connected to various challenges, etc.) still loom, so as far as "what to start next" I have my work pretty much cut out for me. :p

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and leiamoody like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I get a different kind of a burnout - e.g. chapters 7 and 8 are mundane compared to chapters 9-25. Writing chapters 7 and 8 will be an agony, a chore, even though I know they're necessary. Whatever comes next will be written effortlessly, while singing "Whistle While You Work".

In general, chapters with not much going on in general burn me out.

What it does for self-esteem in general is great. Most challenges are more or less limiting, this one has a premise that does not sound art-y, but the idea of unleashing whatever is inside you and pushing yourself beyond all possible beyondness within a set timeframe just HAS to result in art seeing the light of the day.

Want me to employ the Bart and Lisa tactic?

Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet?

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Oh, don't you even start! Findshusband used to do that to me back when I was writing my dissertation. :p

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    What I like about this challenge (hey, you people thought I created this for you guys? riiiight :p ) is that is gets me to say "hey I have an hour before I gotta go to bed - I could watch something on nextflix, or I could work on a fic. I should work on a fic and up my word count". My muse has sadly sputtered and kinda stalled out on me (not even random, funny crackfics are coming out *bashes head on coffee table to see if that works*) but there is no way between my trip and that damn paper I would have gotten nearly 8000 words out this month.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.