main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2016 Word Race! Please Post final counts by March 2nd!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 18, 2016.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ugh. I have so many WIPs and pending challenges right now that even if I finish one, the others are still an embarrassment of riches. I'd like to spend the next three days finishing up any writing that needs to be done on my epic, which is aaaaaaaalmoooooost complete. Then I guess I'm going to spend March cleaning up all the stuff I wrote and deciding what is post-worthy and what isn't -- and that's the moment when the twenty-something thousand words shrink to 12,000, because so much ends up on the cutting room floor.

The really cool thing for me in this challenge this time was to write "stuff" for a couple of fics that were going nowhere. I don't know how much of what I wrote will be posted in the end, but writing the same chapter in three different forms was a fun exercise, and I think that a lot of that will end up being recycled elsewhere... someday... maybe :p

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I've hit 51,223 now.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Although I have technically only finished a chapter, or adventure, on my DANL thread, looking at when I started it, it was back in May 2015!

I'm willing to concede that since I don't know when I will get back to it, it does feel like completion of a project.

Other than that, I have the nubs of two Not Safe For Wor-, uh, Non Star Wars short stories to do for the NSWFF Prompt Challenge.

Got the background material for my RP character to do a continuation for.

My response to the French literature edition of the First Sentence Challenge has morphed into a major, for me, exercise which also is my first OTP piece outside role-playing, and I am struggling to maintain the narrative flow, because I'm pressured by controversial material, and how much of the story is stretching ahead of me.

The last four days, I have felt obstructed from doing a Star Wars piece with my Monster Squad, as I wanted to reprint a fic of mine that I'd posted on my own webpage, back in 2003. Just put it up, so I feel much better now.

And lastly, I have serious doubts that I will be able to even start the Fanon Roulette challenge.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Despite my late start in the day, I started something new and got a solid 1400 words in, bringing my total to OVER 9000! (it's 9083).

I'm not sure what I wrote today will ever see the light of these boards or ever be completed. It is far from my best work, but it was fun to write.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Made it over 5000—I'm now at 5220! [face_dancing]

OK, I know that's peanuts compared to what you five-digit folk are producing (and I really and truly think it's amazing that you can achieve those quantities)—but for a heavily RL-bound type like myself, 5000+ in a month is a huge deal, so I hope you don't mind if I crow about it a bit. :D

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

PAAAAAAARTAY! [face_party]

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Not everyone is a disabled shut-in like me, with nothing but time on their hands, so go you!

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think it depends on inspiration. I can currently manage a lot AND work at the same time, but when there's no inspiration for one, there won't be inspiration for the other, either.

EDIT: This, of course, does not mean that I don't feel for you regarding your illness, god forbid!

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    LOL, it's fine. If it bothered me, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Fine, not fin. Stupid phone.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    8305 words.

11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Since today is my second anniversary here on the boards, it seems a good day to announce that I managed to beat my previous word race figure after all—I'm at 7350.

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Woo-hoo! =D= (And happy boardversary!)

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Happy Anniversary, and beating your word race amount.

I have done an RP post today, but I want to see if my muse will let me update any fics before I update my word count.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Happy anniversary, Findswoman! Cheering for @Sith-I-5's muse, too!

I managed to beat my word race record, too and I'm now at 31773.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Too distracted to write, and it is 4:50 in the morning; its not going to happen. A pitiful 154 words.

Again, RP saved the word count, so altogether, 891.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    More for my diaries and the challenge story and now at 25871 words
    Findswoman happy aniversary[face_dancing]

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Word counts have been updated.

I got to 10177, so I'm very glad I got over the 10k mark! I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to finishing the very... simple fic I am writing, but it's mindless fun to give my brain a break from my other fic, which has seemed to work because it has jogged some ideas around for my ending for the other fic. So I might be back to my 50 Titles fic tomorrow.

Oh, and congrats on the board-versary Findswoman!

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm at 8810, and hoping to get over 10k by the end.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay, out of curiosity, I added up everything I've written since Dec 18. Just since then. It comes to 94,929 words. I have never written this much this fast in my life. I guess my brain is making up for those ten months where I wrote nothing? Geeeez. Now, if only I could direct this towards my novel that's half finished...

Edit: Not trying to brag, I just have no one to share this with. I'm scared.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The moose does not choose what you're working on, that's the fine-print for these little endurance races. :(

I really, really wanted to write the story that needs to go over the next three chapters to get to the real deal. But the moose said LOLNOPE. [face_cow]

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Looks like my final word count will be 6803.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    35913. I still need to finish adding things to my fanon entries and go through some things, so this is not my final count.

Findswoman likes this.
  24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    10314 words.

It may be a while yet before the last minute, but I'm going to call this as my final word count for the month. And now it is the time on Sprockets when we take a break for a David Bowie Prom themed dance party.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Had a burst of inspiration on my OTP / French literature adventure, but I am unfortunately restricted by time.