main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 17X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    #19 for the Joker, and in Grand style.

Iron_lord and heels1785 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    bring on the grass. will be interesting to see how nadal manages his schedule and health. fed may still play in the olympics, too.

Juliet316 and Lord-Skywalker like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That's if England's COVID numbers are stable enough to even hold Wimbledon.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Boris is to speak at 6PM but news is saying that England's 'day of freedom' will be postponed from June 21. New date given is July 19 but that hasn't been confirmed. So that will affect audience numbers if Wiimbledon goes ahead as masking and social distancing rules will still be in place.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    nadal has pulled out of wimbledon and the tokyo olympics. targeting his better surfaces, aiming to prolong his career - the clay-to-grass turnaround has got to be very difficult in such a short period of time.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My head is still spinning from Nadal being dethroned in Paris, though it had to happen eventually. Djokovic's level of fitness and ability at 34 is uncanny. He seems poised to dominate the sport for at least one more calendar year and outdo the 2015-2016 Nole slam. Who knows what will happen, but he devotes so much time and money and professional expertise into care of his body that I'd hate to try to predict when it will end or what his final majors title count will be. Since he won in Australis in 2008, he's only gone three of 14 calendar years without winning a major. He's won at least two majors a calendar year in six of the last 14 years.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Federer's early defeat in Halle can be argued to be a portent of the end for him...

Luke02 and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Aliassime is on fire, but I think on a good day, it's likely that any top 25 player can beat Roger.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    There is no reason Joker doesn't win the Grand Slam this year and have the the most majors ever. Makes me want to gag a bit thinking that very well might happen.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    So it may. But Djokovic isn't young either and will need to manage his condition as well.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    first set to andy murray! what a story this would be.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Wound up winning in four sets though it got dicey in the end. Joker took four sets as well.

And congrats to Stephens and Tiafoe on major upsets today. Tiafoe came out of nowhere with that win as it's his first win against someone in the Top 5 ever. Kudos!

Juliet316, Rylo Ken and heels1785 like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yikes, Serena Williams out with a leg injury in Round 1... :/

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Absolute ridiculous what happened at Centre Court today. Poor Serena! To go out like that is just sickening.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    did you know that she's a mother, dp

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Watching Murray on Centre court and as much as I'd like to believe he can get past Otte, I don't think he has the fitness yet.

Can he recover and push for a slam again after his surgery? I don't know, if Federer can then Murray should be able to but it feels like a long ask.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Murray so far proving me wrong.

As much as I like football, the fitness and athleticism of tennis players is immense and the punishment they face during a two week slam is beyond belief and the efforts of footballers pale into insignificance when its compared.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    RoboMurray back on the court again

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It appears I'm the only one watching Wimbledon

RoboMurray out yesterday, showed a clear lack of court fitness and even at his best Shapovalov would have been a difficult challenge for him so his straight set loss is not too horrendous

Emma Raducanu has just put on an epic performance for an 18 year old against Cirstea and is through to the next round. She looks like she could be very good as she gains experience.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    haha. i'll watch the later rounds. team nadal, which is like 75% of the thread, may be taking the tournament off

tom likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm splitting the day between tennis and eurocup

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Gutted for Raducanu

Didn't think she'd get past the match today buit to retire with an injury isn't great. No idea what it was either.

She could be one to watch in the next few years once she gets more experience

paradigmes likes this.
  23. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I thought she look very tired after some of those long points in the first set. I wonder if pressure got too much for her, she was holding stomach. Poor Emma, I hope she be back.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Young and in the biggest matches of her life so far with Britain cheering her like they did Tim/Andy etc...

Apparently she had some breathing difficulty so it could be stress/anxiety or she could be ill. Who knows, I'm sure the reasons will come out but she's potentially got a future ahead of her, she was outside the top 300 but bet the world 120 and two in the 40's and did it convincingly too.

She'll bounce up the rankings now

paradigmes likes this.
  25. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    Yes, it was possibly occasion was too big for her. A lot of pressure. She was playing some nice tennis too.