main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Programming note for UK folks missing Wimbledon this year - BBC2 will be running two programs each weekday for the next two weeks. The 1:30 PM program will beWimbledon Rewind - a replay of a past match (or matches). The 8 PM show will be Wimbledon: The Best of the Championship - Sue Barker being joined by tennis legends (via social distancing, I assume) to look at past highlights. Monday's replay match will be the 2008 final between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Davis Cup cancelled for 2020.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    wimbledon's been putting out some mini-documentaries over the last few weeks that are quite good, all free on YT. also running some classic matches.

idolized pete sampras growing up, partial to this new one:

KnightWriter and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    a fracture among the professional male players is now making mainstream news - novak, isner, and a few others have broken off from atp to form the "professional tennis players association." federer and nadal were among those who lent their name to a letter opposing its creation, and asking for the players to stay unified under the atp banner.

i believe this article is free, via the ny times:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/sports/tennis/tennis-union-men-djokovic.html

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I didn't remember that the ATP is only 30 years old. It's not so steeped in tradition that it can't be replaced by something better, but maybe not this...

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It means a lot that Federer and Nadal are opposed, though it would mean more if it was 2010 and not 2020. Of course, they'll still be beating all the top players when they're in their 60s, but still. I don't think they carry as much weight as they once did.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    my first take was that i don't have much confidence in the judgment of an anti-vaxxer to form and/or serve as co-president of a new player's union formed entirely as a reaction to the ongoing circumstances of a global pandemic.

i think ken's got it - competition and fairness is good, and atp has clearly made some mistakes. they're not the end-all, be-all. this just doesn't feel like the answer. i guess we'll see in the coming days/weeks how accurate raonic's statement that expects the "majority" of players to join this is.

Juliet316, KnightWriter and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/53967336 - unnamed player has withdrawn from the US Open after testing positive for COVID-19. He/she isn't showing symptoms but now has to isolate for ten days. Contact tracing will take place to see if anyone else is affected.

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Watching the Joker match via ESPN+. It's at Arthur Ashe stadium opening night and you can hear the subway in the background thru the TV.

If you told me a year ago that was possible, I would lost my house at least I never being able to hear the subway while the US Open is going on.

Edit: And now you can hear I believe motorcycles on the highway. Again incredible.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Djokovic defaulted from his round of 16 match for negligently hitting a linesperson in the throat with an angry ballstrike. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that happen. Serena Williams making threatening remarks, sure. But not this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    utterly insane. i don't even know if what i saw should be a point penalty.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    He was reckless even if it wasn't deliberate. Given precedent with Henman and Nalbandian it was a deserved ejection.

Luke02, Rebel_Padawan and 3sm1r like this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    neither are remotely comparable. nalbandian kicked a judge in rage, henman smashed a ball at one that he was facing.

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Players are supposed to avoid angry moves precisely to avoid bad consequences like this. Imo it was a good call.

solojones and Lordban like this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    He still struck her in the throat because he wasn't paying attention, right after he smashed a ball into the wall. It was reckless and so think it's deserved because I believe a lesser player would have received the same penalty.

Lordban likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Djokovic's default really leaves me feeling choked up.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Strange and sad way to get there, but we're going to have a first time major champion at the US open. The new batch has been waiting a while.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    They've been waiting so long that it's different new batch now.

Juliet316, Lordban, Rylo Ken and 2 others like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    True there's an old new batch and a new new batch

Juliet316 and KnightWriter like this.
  21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Comment read tonight on L'Equipe: "Watch the replay in slow motion, the ball that hit the line judge wasn't fast."

Er...

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Joker most likely would have steamrolled to his 18th Career Grand Slam. Instead his emotions got the best of him over really nothing and now has to live with the fact that he just cough up a major that was essentially gift wrapped. It guarantees that the men's draw will have a champion who has never won a Grand Slam before and it will be the first time since 2016 that someone other then the Big Three won a major. And with Sofia out (she just played a poor match against a opponent who is playing really well), neither one of the Australian Champs from January will win the US Open. But Jennifer Brady just clobbered her quarterfinal opponent punching her ticket to the semifinals. Imagine if her and Shelby Rogers both make the semifinals of the US Open this year. Who the bleep had that to begin the year?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Medvedev looked so strong last night. I'm hoping he and and Thiem get to play a semifinal match. It could be pretty good. I'll be very surprised if one of those guys doesn't make it to the final. Zverev, well if he can't break through right now when is he going to do it, but Coric is having such a good tournament.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So glad Djo got booted. He deserved it, but he's also just a sexist ass so meh.

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    And Serena is still searching for GS 24...

Azarenka v Osaka should be a good final!