main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    rafa just lost to thiem in two tiebreaks at the tour finals. nadal saved 4 match points but thiem got him on the fifth. it was an entertaining match.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Thiem/Djokovic semifinal also a decent match. Thiem came back from 0-4 down in the final tiebreaker to win it. Some great shots throughout from both of them.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Federer is still trying to recover from a knee injury and will skip the Aus Open.
    The man will be 40 in August, I wonder if he has a plan to retire or if he is determined to keep going until he physically can not.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    smart decision

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Thiem-Kyrgios match was a show trial.

Amazing show for the fans. A full five-set trial for the players.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    not a huge kyrgios fan, but shame he couldn't win it in front of the home crowd.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm a big Thiem fan, but I love watching Kyrgious put on a show. He does his thing.

epic likes this.
  10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    The absence of the crowd really changes the energy of the game.

Not sure if I would prefer they add canned atmosphere like in the Premier league though.

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Watching it, we were saying that they should let in just one guy and give him a microphone to go "wooo! Yeeeeah!" etc.

KnightWriter likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Nadal just a little bit closer to becoming the undisputed GOAT, but the competition is tough. Djokovic injury is a big question mark, and some serious challengers are off to a good start. After Thiem survived a five-setter with Kyrgios, Medvedev survived his mid-match slump to win a five-setter last night. Thiem to take on Dimitrov, Djokovic playing Raonic if he can play at all.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    can't believe serena just ran off halep off the court, she's playing so well. osaka will be tough, but a run to the semis in the melbourne heat at age 39 is remarkable.

Rylo Ken and KnightWriter like this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Having apparently just arrived on earth directly from Narnia, Aslan Karatsev landed in the Australian Open semifinal. He will now have earned the majority of his entire career earnings in a single match.

KnightWriter likes this.
  15. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    There will be humans in the stands at the tennis tomorrow, though not tonight. They will probably be masked up.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oof, really want to stay up for this nadal/tsitsipas quarter but i do have to work tomorrow. we'll see how it goes.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    eight years after this thread was started rafa still doing his thing. absolutely unbelievable, this man. worth staying up for.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    what a comeback! great win.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In hindsight, it's almost shocking that Rafa has an Australian Open title to his credit.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    in retrospect, 2009 was such a consequential year for men's tennis. provided the rarest piece for both roger and rafa's career slams, and roger's loss to delpo signaled the end of his dominance. rafa owned 2010, and djokovic took off in 2011.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, great win for tsitsipas. didn't have a 5 setter in me unfortunately.

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Rafa getting broken at love at 5-5 in the fifth set happened so fast, and then it was over. Really the unforced errors at the third set tiebreaker and that late fifth set lapse...but Tsitsipas has to earn it. Still, I'm betting on the Narnian to take the title.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think Osaka mops the court with her. She looks ready to go on a serious run of dominance the next few years. That all said? I am still pulling for Serena so she can hopefully win one more major before it's over with.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's about what happened in the epic Rafa-Djokovic seminal at Roland Garros in 2013. It was close all the way, and then suddenly it was over.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Osaka vs Serena.
    Good fight.

And yeah, this should have been the Final.