main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News is saying that Serena has been fined $17,000 for yesterday.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    she was fined $10k for the incident in 2009.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ $175K in 09, reduced to $82.5K. The “I’m going to shove this ****ing ball down your ****ing throat” incident, which im sure was also terribly unfair to serena. terribly.

I believe that she’s, by far, the most fined player in the history of the sport on the women’s side.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'll be rooting for delpo today, but i really just hope these guys can be at their best and end this tournament on a high note.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i agree, want a strong finish. between roger's exit, rafa's injury, and osaka's win being overshadowed yesterday by spite, this has been a terrible second week.

nole or delpo, don't mind. go nole, but delpo is deserving.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is some fantastic stuff.

Rylo Ken and heels1785 like this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Djokovic just a bit better, but what a second set.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    there’s the break.

two players I’ve spent the bulk of my life cheering for, now tied at 14 slams. that’s cool.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    one of the better straight sets matches i've seen. djokovic to me looks to be back at his absolute peak.

Rylo Ken and heels1785 like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    lots of luck in this slam. but all the great ones benefit from it, at some point. :p

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    dodging fed was pretty lucky, but i have little doubt that novak would have won that match. i'm equally confident that he would have beaten nadal. even though he did really struggle with the heat, i think he's physically on the rise while the other top players are feeling the effects of a long season. he will be number one again really soon. it's almost starting to feel greedy at this point, but it looks likely that we will get at least one more year with these three great champions all still fighting for majors. the idea that novak could be the one who ends up with the most majors of all suddenly seems plausible again.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    As spectators, we're incredibly lucky to have seen these three men for fifteen years. Their competition, though? They probably didn't enjoy it that much :p

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I am gutted for Del Potro. Such a good guy who deserves a comeback slam. Especially sad that he lost to Djokovic, who sorry is an unrepentant sexist pig.

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    On the Serena topic, I don’t watch as much tennis as you guys but I have literally never seen someone being given a game penalty. Not in a first round game let alone a grand slam final. The umpire was frankly being ridiculous. She didn’t swear at him, and it’s true that others have gotten away with far worse. Serena didn’t react well at all granted but she definitely has a point. If they want to really cut down what players say to umpires then it needs to be clearly communicated, and applied across the board from all umpires.

solojones and KnightWriter like this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that wasn't the issue to me. i mean yes, i have seen players get away with tantrums that were just as bad and berating the ump. but i have also seen plenty of players get warnings for doing the same, which is what you get for a first violation. so the point is she was definitely walking the line of what could be considered a violation, and it was a line she shouldn't have been walking when she already had two code violations. that was the thing i had never seen before. the reason you nearly never see anyone given a game penalty is because you never see someone still behaving like that when they are on the verge of being given a game penalty. i also don't think "she was behaving badly, but others have gotten away with behaving worse" is a super strong argument.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    tom, you’re right on.

is it weird to issue a coaching warning during a Slam final? absolutely. a game penalty? probably.

that being said, everything the referee did was by the book. the violation occurred. anyone who watched the match noticed serena using drop shots and drawing osaka to net (as noted during the match by evert) immediately after the coaching occurred - she had done neither in the first set and a half.

just like the foot faults in 09 against clijsters - not calls you see every day, but by the book. likely not coincidentally, also a situation in which serena was being substantially outplayed. blaming the referees for doing their job or implying sexism or racism is giving serena an out for poor behavior. there are examples of serena being the victim of both - most recently, the french tennis federation’s **** about her medically-beneficial outfit that i raged about a few weeks ago. someone did something to her in that instance, and she handled it with grace and understanding. nobody did anything to serena on saturday. and she robbed osaka of the joy that was earned, selfishly.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It may be by the book, but it's still unusual. If you never enforce things that way then suddenly do in a final, it's going to rigthly be criticized. Freaking Nick Kyrgios hasn't ever been given a game penalty to my knowledge. Normally you also only get penalized for dissent if you swear at a ref or threatent them.

These are the reasons I feel sexism played a role. I think the ref was trying to show that he is a big boy who can punish the mouthy lady all he wants, because she needs to be more polite and proper.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    kyrgios has been suspended eight weeks for throwing a match and 28 days for screaming obscenities at stan wawrinka. he also quit a match after being given a point penalty, in addition to his countless fines. but yeah, i'm actually not sure if he's been given a game penalty either.

edit: but to the point, for me the coaching violation was definitely unusual and i personally wish it wasn't called and then probably most of the later histrionics would have been avoided. but after that violation most of the unusual behavior came from serena. the racket abuse violation was totally standard, and i'm not sure how long the umpire was supposed to put up with her endless tirades. to keep behaving like that when you have two violations is a really hard thing to defend imo.

edit2: pretty balanced take here

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    heels1785 and Luke02 like this.
  19. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Seriously? :rolleyes:

The umpire did his job correctly and professionally.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Give me an example of a game penalty being enforced outside of this.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the only example i can think of where a player continued to berate an ump after two violations was mcenroe at the australian open in 1990 and in that case the ump called it a forfeit and awarded the entire match to his opponent.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ramos is known as a stickler for the rule book:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-serena-williams-penalty-us-open/1263930002/

"During the 2016 Olympics, Ramos issued a code violation to Andy Murray after thinking Murray had called Ramos “stupid.’’ Murray later claimed he said “stupid umpiring,’’ not “stupid umpire.”During a fourth-round match at the 2017 French Open, Rafael Nadal lost a first serve after Ramos issued a code violation for Nadal taking too much time. Nadal later fired back, saying Ramos would “never chair another of his matches again.”In July at Wimbledon, Ramos issued Novak Djokovic a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct because Djokovic threw his racket to the ground."

And to me it's the job of the player in this case Serena to know that. To me it is no different then a baseball player studying the strike zone of a particular zone to see how big (or small) it is or a boxer who studies a ref when it comes to how quickly they break a clench and stuff. It is all part of the game conditions that a player must prepare for.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Wimbledon will implement a final set tiebreak at 12-12, starting next year.

Understand the need for this, scheduling-wise, after what happened to the biggest match on the men’s side this year. Sad that we won’t see another marathon, though.