main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mr_Black, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Perhaps I should clarify: I'm not saying what kind of comments each person should give, just asking what authors would rather receive. You can't ask someone to give feedback that they don't know how to give or aren't suited to. It wouldn't be fair. As an author, though, I think I do like to have a mix. I like hearing people's emotional reactions to things, but I would be lying if I said it didn't make me happy when someone picks out a specific instance of foreshadowing or dramatic irony or something and appreciates it.

I personally tend to give a mix myself as well, so maybe that's why it's what I like to hear ;) However, there's something nice about knowing you made someone forget it was a story, huh? Maybe I'm just too analytical for my own good.

Another question:

Should feedback only be between author and individual readers, or should it be more of a loose discussion?

I think that these stories can be just as deserving of thought-provoking discussion and humorous speculation as the Star Wars films themselves obviously are for us. I think some fics I've read have made me think and feel a lot more than the films, too. I like to see story threads where it's more relaxed and people discuss things back and forth instead of just posting hit and run comments.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Just my $.02 on recent questions?

Should feedback be readers speaking directly to the author or speaking simply about how the story made them feel?

As far as in-thread feedback goes I want the reader to tell me what they enjoyed about my story ? what, if anything, spoke to them. What plot turns are keeping them involved? What do they like about the characters? Heck, I like for them to just let me know they?re out there reading.

As an author I use feedback. I?ve even changed the direction I was taking a story simply because so many of the readers wanted to see something specific that I hadn?t planned to do. I enjoy giving folks what they want (within basic story parameters). If they let me know so I don?t have to guess, well, that makes things easier. If there is something they don't like it is good to know that too.

Should feedback only be between author and individual readers, or should it be more of a loose discussion?

I?ve seen both happen and I think it works well either way. My personal feeling is that readers are involved if they care enough to debate something that is written. I treat most feedback, though, as a one-on-one dialogue and I try to reply to all of it in kind.

3. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I think the authors here have a right to decide for themselves if they want concrit or not. If they ask for concrit, fine, but if they don't and someone pops in and says, "Hey, listen . . . you've got a couple issues here and here . . ." and they didn't ask for it, all the critic is going to do is generate tension and resentment.

I don't respond well to people contacting me only to tell me there's something wrong with my story. Or my characterisation. Especially when someone, for example, PMs me completely out of the blue--I've never talked to this person before in my life--and says, "You're totally off on this . . . I don't think this character would react this way, and you're being mean to make them go through this."

If one is going to offer "helpful" criticism in any capacity, they should make themselves known to the author, instead of tossing off a bunch of criticism without responding to the story. It tells the author that you don't care about the work, just about correcting them.

Dana

4. Mr_Black

Mr_Black Jedi Master star 1

May 31, 2004
    Should feedback be readers speaking directly to the author or speaking simply about how the story made them feel?

Feedback entirely centralizing around the story runs the risk of being generic, and maybe even a little standoffish. It's like Prince Valium in Spaceballs. Just sort of droning on, interspersing "I like this, and this, but I didn't like that" with random yawning.

At least, when I give feedback, I try to involve the author directly, make it seem more of a camaraderie excursion, a conversation, keeping a casual enjoyment and enthusiasm about the writing & the writer. An excited and involved audience oftentimes leads to an excited author, and an exciting story is a very nice byproduct. Feedback should have a charge of personalization to it. That's my philosophy, anyway.

This, I think, is very dependent on the individual author, the individual story, and the readerbase. If it's an intensely serious drama, a back and forth discussion regarding which light saber color means what could have an inverse effect on the tone that the author was trying to set.

On the other hand, if the story is something more light-hearted, more open...something like a comedy, but doesn't necessarily always have to be funny, then I'm all about the communal aspects of feedback and reader/writer back & forth.

Of course, the loose discussion approach could lead an author to become confused regarding how their audience feels overall about the story. To start out with, just so everyone involved can sort of test the waters and get to know each other and such; feedback should be more concrete, focusing intently on the merits of the story or a particular authoritative nuance. Once everybody recognizes that the atmosphere is more casual, that would be the opportune time to introduce tangents, or points not specifically related to the story. *finishes adding his two cents to the pot*

Dana: It sounds like you've had your share of bad experiences in the past with concrit. I'm sorry for that, I'm sure you didn't deserve it. Just so you're aware: in the past whenever I PMed someone about their story, I never cruelly bludgeoned them with what I perceived as their faults as a writer. I never will, either. My focus has been--and will continue to be--to help and encourage, not to be bitter, mean, and/or hurtful. If someone doesn't even act courteous towards you, you shouldn't even take the time to read their PM, as they probably didn't take the time to really read your story, give you the justification you deserve as an author and a creator.

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Since I'm stuck awake thanks to more bad food I figured I'd put in my two cents.

I guess I can see both sides of the picture, since I've encountered quite a few things since I began writing. I started out with my first fanfic in high school, writing it merely for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of the one friend who read it. It only saw the light of day on my own personal website, but it was about enjoyment of the story unfolding in its purest form. I didn't really have feedback, save for my friend and the creative writing teacher with whom I dared to share some of my ideas. I just did it because I had a story that needed to be told.

Fast forward a few years in the future, to the days where Jaina Solo was starting to get on my nerves. I wrote a bit of a satire that garnered some attention. I was a bit shocked, but in retrospect I shouldn't have been. Stories with JAINA/JAG/KYP in the title get a little more attention than an OC adventure. ;) So I had readers, and I kept on writing as fast as I could, mostly to emulate Jedi-Princess-Solo and her laser-fast posting skills, but also because I enjoyed pleasing my readers. It was like turning headstands or doing a lounge act. :D

Even though I've been known to be sort of a machine with schedules because I don't like disappointing people who are reading, I still do it for the fun. I like writing stuff that reads like a movie - a big comedy movie - and blends different genres together. I am an entertainer, first and foremost.

On the other hand, I do take the craft of writing seriously, in that I will heed my beta's words on things. I remember one time when a friend told me I'd written my dialogue incorrectly throughout most of my stories. I changed that small detail from that point on and am in the process of fixing the stories that came before I realized my mistake. I take characterization pointers seriously, and I usually call upon my beta for characterization tips. ;) Not that characterization isn't going to be slightly distorted in a humor piece, but it's still important.

I've also had people tell me they knew my story more than I did. To them I just smile and nod. I was taught just this weekend from reading Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" that what we think is going to happen doesn't always happen, and sometimes our gut instinct is wrong. Even I'm wrong, so I don't presume to know what paths others will choose in their stories and I don't think anyone should presume to know anything about mine until the end is reached.

Wow, writing about this has actually calmed my stomach. Score one for NJ! [face_dancing]

Jae Angel

6. Mr_Black

Mr_Black Jedi Master star 1

May 31, 2004
    Something to consider:

How much--if at all--do the dynamics of feedback (both giving & receiving) change when there's an original character involved?

I would think that the already presumptuous statements of "How you're developing that character isn't working" could be blatantly ignored in the case of an OC, as it's entirely an original work and creation of that specific author.

How should OC's be judged? By whether or not they jive with & complement the SW universe? What if the author is intentionally trying to do an out-of-left-field story where their character is a complete mismatch for the SW setting and themes? That raises the further question of; if that's the case, why include it in a SW story? To try something new maybe, or cause controversy. I've seen some incredible stories that are entirely centralized around an OC, and having the particular character be something keenly unusual to the SW pantheon, and it still works out beautifully. Shades of Grey immediately jumps to mind: http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?action=view&ID=1178. There are other factors, but I think the most important thing to focus on when writing an OC in an established universe is simply writing skill, along with naturalism--making the character a believable, organic, germaine addition to the story. Not just have some guy from earth pop in and say "hey, where can I buy a lightsaber?" or something ridiculous along those lines.

Any other thoughts or comments regarding OC's, their compatability with the SW universe, and how to appropriately give feedback in such a situation?

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Unlocked and upped. :)

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I want feedback, plain and simple. I take what people say about my fics and, if it's good, keep doing it. If it's bad, I try and change it.

Concrit? Yes, please. Outright flames? *GL ring glows* Ah, no. And I don't care if it's by PM or in the thread itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.