main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Female Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Marold, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    My hair stylist has these AWSOME bobby pins that have never once slipped out of my hair, unlike all the others I've used. I don't know the name but they have a flamingo on the box.

And one thing to do when using bobby pins is gather only a few strands of hair in a pin and use a ton of them.

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Remember, fake hair can be GLUED or SEWN to shape! I do the SCA, and to get an authentic medieval hairstyle (aka Leia's cinnamon buns or Amidala's picnic hair) I braided my fake hair then SEWED it into the right shape. To attach it, I make two pigtails of my own hair and anchor them to my head (lots of bobby pins). They are the support base for the fakes (lots more bobby pins, and I actually use setting pins which are MONDO big-size pins which are smooth, not rippled).

For a headpiece I am making to go with a 14th-C gown, I am getting and braiding more fake hair; hotgluing it to soda cans, and inserting inside the hair cages. Glue could hold fake hair onto styrofoam or whathaveyou.

I did summerstock theater for a while, and when it comes to costuming & wigs, sometimes glue and stitching are the way to go! Thinking of the REAL women the designers were inspired by (Hopi girls, Mongolian nobility) I wonder how they kept their hair in place. Amidala's Senate appearance is an absolute copy of the headpieces of 19th-century Mongolian nobility, who apparently used horsehair to make their hairpieces. But did they use glue? Why are there no records of this? :) I mean, who cares about battles & dates when there are so many more interesting things history could teach us!

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Are those crispins you're making Renata? I would love to see pictures of them :D

And I agree with you about there being more to history than just wars and battles. In fact I'll go bother one of my teachers about that he's a Far East history professor, I'm sure he might have something on that... :D

4. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Don't have a digital camera, alas. Made them with brass decorative metal grillplate (kind that goes on radiator covers?) from Home Depot in a quatrefoil design, bent to shape and bent the metal tabs together, and Superglue to attach them to the metal headband. They're huge, and I am now resisting the urge to glue fake gems all over them! [face_laugh] Picture metal mesh oatmeal cannisters on either side of my head; you get the idea.

While they match my furry plastron surcote for the 14th-C, it HAS occured to me that with a little creativity and a slightly different undergown, they could work for the AotC premiere, if my friend goes as my Jedi 'bodyguard'... :D

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Do it! It would be terrific! :D

I've been concentrating on 11th and 12th century costume, but there hasn't been much for me to go on. I'm still in the process of joinint the SCA, I'm going to wait till I'm in college before it's official. It looks like it's so much fun.

6. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Quick note (in the process of getting ready to go to Nebraska to pick up my sister): What I usually use to keep my hair up instead of bobby pins are those pins used to hold hot rollers in place. Usually doesn't take more than 3 to hold up my hair.

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Hmm... I must go and find some of those...

8. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    They should be available in the beauty sections of drug stores & wal-marts. I think. I acutally "borrowed" Mom's, instead of buying my own set of hot roller pins.

9. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    Okay, I know absolutely nothing about hairstyling. I'm doing the black corset dress, which has a totally simple hairstyle (looks like a braid down the back to me). Or it would be simple except for the fact that i have the extreme female bowl cut and my hair isn't longer than my ears!
    Do I get a wig? Where do i get one? Can I get hairpieces and if so, how would i get them in my hair? Other options?
    Can anyone help bewildered little me?

10. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    pivy : I know nothing about hair extensions or wigs, sorry, but Mrs_MayimNaar posted this pic of the back of the dress and the hairstyle. Though I guess a simple braid would do (It's what I did at C2 on friday night and on saturday, I just attached my hair in a low ponytail 'cause i was feeling lazy and my braid looked crappy! :p ). And I admit it looks a bit complicated to do.

11. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Checked out the picture...Take the sides of the hair and twist them until they look like hers...the same fashion as when twisting to make the little "knots" on your head. Use something like a ribbon to hold your hair at the nape of the neck like in a ponytail...then leaving a strand out free at either side-braid the hair, using an elastic in your hair color at the bottom. twist the two remaining strands well, then wrap them around the braid-take off the elastic, than put it back on, over the braid and the twisted strands. Then remove the ribbon at the nape. You can do this yourself, but you will need to have someone there to put on the ribbon while you hold the twosted sides into place...and then to hold the bottom twisted strands while you mess with the elastic.
    I would not recommend hair extensions for this, because you will see where your hair leaves off when you twist-it may stick out. A wig would be a better choice, but hard to do-because the hair is twisted starting at the temple area...You will not be able to acheive that look without seeing the wig edge.
    JUst try to make your hair look nice, or if you use a wig, just a low braided ponytail, so the edges of the wig aren't showing.

12. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    I get how to do the hairstyle--back in the day when I had hair to my waist I used to do all these kinds of things. The problem nowadays with making a pony tail at the nape of my neck is that I don't have any hair there! :)
    Anyway, I was out shopping yesterday and I found a hairpiece that I think will actually work (crossing fingers...) Now I just have to find a way to make sure the hair piece stays there all night...any tips for that, short of crazy glue? :)

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I must say that I admire your work with the hair. Personally I will probably try to do the Tatooine blue dress, with embroideries, for a fan meeting in the end of June. I had no possibility to do that before the premiere. I wont be able to do a very exact copy of the hair though, we are going to an amusement park and I want to be able to go in all the rides! My hair is quite thick, but just below the shoulders and blonde! So I will probably just curl it, use a lot of hairspary and a simple braid in the back, to keep the hair from the face. Do you think that would be close enough?

14. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Obi Anne-Your idea sounds like it will work to me. When I do my hair for the costume I'm going to use foam rollers. It should create a very similar look to hers in the movie.

15. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Yeah, it looks like a sponge roller set to me too. The trick is to roll small pieces, not large chunks, and not to brush the hair any more than you can possibly get away with after you take it down.

With my hair and its notorious lack of hold, I'd set mine slightly dampened with setting gel. Regis has some I use. Then spray the HECK out of it once you've got it looking the way you want.

For hair that tends to pop out of twists, etc ... I did a friend's hair up in a sort of twisted style for her Imperial guard uniform, and she has very coarse hair that "fights" and doesn't want to stay twisted, pops out with little flyaway ends, etc. The secret is to twist it wet, it does much better that way. I have also heard that not to wash it for a few days before and then style it does work, but for obvious reasons haven't gone that route (ugh).

If your hair is that short, the only route I can think of short of EXPENSIVE hair extensions is a wig.

16. JediPony

JediPony Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Okay, I really don't care about my hair but I've recently become very bored and need something to do. I've got waste length (and a little more)majorly thick brown hair. It's kind of wavy. It's a literal pain in the neck. Does someone have something I can do with it that wouldn't look to outrageous but is SW-ish that I could spend sometime playing with? Okay probably not but just wondering. :)

17. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002

You could try Heidi-like braids, such as Leia wears on Endor. Or "Swedish" braids (braided ponytails with the ends turned up) like Depa Billaba of the Jedi Council wears in Episode I. I'm trying to remember what all I've done with my hair when it was that length....

18. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    queenseamstress you posted something about the hairstyle in this photo. I don't understand half of what your saying, and I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the direction of photos or something else along those lines so that I might get a better understanding of it? Thanks.

19. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Fallen Angel-
    take a small strand of your hair adn twist it like youare playing with it...keep twisting it in the same direction until it looks twisted all of the way up-do yousee what I mean?
    Do you see how the sides of her hair going into the braided part are twisted, and not just pulled into the low ponytail? The hair there is twisted in the direction of her her head on each side, then put into the ponytail part. You want to have someone hold the hair into place while it is twisted and you are fastening it, so it won't come undone.
    Does that help any more? Then when you do the braid at the bottom-just leave out a strand on either side to twist then wrap around the braid. Copy off the picture and look at it while you reread this and try to picture the parts I am talking about.
    DOes this help any?

20. LeiaSolo42

LeiaSolo42 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    Hi all~
    I've sorta been a lurker for the past few weeks, but I'd like to thank you! I am sitting here w/ the picnic hairdo (w/ all my own hair!) waiting for the curlers to finsih cooling. I think it looks pretty good! Not exact by anymeans but pretty cool. I'll post pics asap! Thank you again!!

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I just discovered that the company "Scunsi" which makes hair accessories has a LOT made out of fake hair. I just bought an 18" fall, but there are headbands and elastics "made" out of fake hair, in a variety of colors. MANY possibilities there! I found these at Target & Walmart, but I'd just look in any store with a good beauty/hair accessory department.

22. pruestars1

pruestars1 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    HI, does anyone know how to do Amidala's fighting hairstyle ( the one when she's all in white). I think it must be pretty simple once u know it, but i still don't...
    Can anyone help me??? My hair is really straight and it's a bit longer then my shoulders!!! thanks

23. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    It's discussed somewhere on page 3 of this topic. Look for posts by tennispadme and Jedi Girl of Corellia.

24. pruestars1

pruestars1 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Thanks!!! But... I live in belgium, although i'm not belgian. So my English isn't perfect and i don't quite understand the "long strands" part!! can somebody translate ??, or explain? thanks!

25. JediPony

JediPony Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Just wanted to let y'all know that I had wonderful success with the Leia Bespin hair due (how do you spell that kind of 'due'? I have no clue) If you've got relativly long hair - even it it's deadly thick like mine - it turns out looking pretty good. Still perfecting it but I actually had success! JOY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.