main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    OMG! I was about to say the same thing! I'd love a Han in Carbonite.

Course that might scare off potential dates :p

I want an AT-AT! :_| That's the one ship/thing that I've always wanted but never gotten. Maybe I should put that on my ebay watch list. I do have a Falcon- which is way cool :D

2. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Hello Ladies,

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes posting here :)

You all make very good points about Hasbro's lack of items for the girls/ladies. One thing you have to remember is that Hasbro has always been the "boy" toy company. Mattel has the girls market pretty much cornered with Barbie. If you wasl into a retail store there is usually one full aisle of nothing but Barbie, then half an aisle for all other dolls. TRU is even more than that.

As far as the 12" figures. You are right They are some of the ugliest figures ever done. I also agree they were on the right track with the Portrait editions, but I was able to pick up all for the Portraits at well below retail. That translates to Hasbro as they were not well recieved or the girls didn't get out there and buy them.

Bottom line though is let Hasbro know how you feel. E-mail them, write them, call them..... you get the idea. We have come a long way with Hasbro since the line started back up in '95. But they can always do more.

I'll step back out now.....

:)

3. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I guess all the stuff I have is "guy things".

"What is the ONE Star Wars item that you would absolutely lose your mind over if you could have it?"

The LEGO Star Destroyer without a doubt.

4. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I know what you mean about those Unleashed figures. Leia and Padme just look tacky. :(

5. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    In regards to Xizor's comment, above, there is no place on the Hasbro website where you can contact them about "wants." Their policy about "misappropriation of ideas" precludes anyone from doing this.

However, Rebelscum.com does have a Hasbro message board. Short of going to the cons and talking to the Hasbro reps directly, that's as good a place as any to start:

Dear Hasbro

As Xizor says, let them know how you feel. With enough female fan interest, TPTB at Hasbro might even start up and take notice. It just takes a little trying.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well the one thing I would die if I ever got my hands on it would be the life-size Han in Carbonite. I saw one at a con this weekend, but ignoring the fact that I don't have the money I also realised that the only place where I would fit him in my room would be in my bed! (I live in a very small student room).

7. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    I know what you mean about those Unleashed figures. Leia and Padme just look tacky.

Oh, ain't that the truth! They seem like they were made just to cater to fanboys' wet dreams!

Anyone seen the Anakin one? As much as I adore Hayden Christensen, that figure is just plain hideous!! :(

8. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    If you think Anakin is hidious, don't look at Sidious.

Hey look I can rap :)

The Fett is by far the best fo the bunch so far.

9. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    LOL Xizor...I see a career forming...hehe

Yes, "Stripperella" Leia and "Perky" Padme are definitely a little over the top...LOL. Heck, even Natalie Portman herself was bashing her action figures on Dave Letterman saying "Look at this! I don't have boobs like that!" ROFL

So far I think Obi-Wan and Han are the best likenesses in the Unleashed line.

10. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    "So far I think Obi-Wan and Han are the best likenesses in the Unleashed line."

Agreed. I'm particularly fond of the Han one. :) The Anakin one, on the other hand, is monstrous. :( He doesn't look angry so much as... deformed.

From About.com regarding the Padmé doll:

"Apparently it was very cold in the arena that day, so parents might not want younger children to have this particular version of Padme."

LOL! Won't somebody please think of the children!

11. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    LOL @ Xizor!! [face_laugh]

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    The Han likeness was good, but the pose was rather dull. Fett on the other hand was incredible. He's not my favorite character by any means, but he is one of my favorite Unleashed. So well done.

The girls are a bit over the top. I'd like to see a traditional danish bunned Leia taking out a stormtrooper or something. Now that is one tough chick.

EDIT: Ooo or to mix the lines, a Unleashed Indy when he's all torn up and scruffy looking. Yum!

13. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    EDIT: Ooo or to mix the lines, a Unleashed Indy when he's all torn up and scruffy looking. Yum!

Now THAT would be worth the $15! [face_love]

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Unleashed Indy-- I could go for that! :D I actually have a vintage 12" Indiana Jones figure- mint (with whip [face_mischief] ) I used to work doll and toy shows selling Barbies and a guy came in selling off his whole collection of stuff and he had Indy there for $35! I freaked - handed it to him and sprinted to get my money.

He's by far one of my favorite items in my collection- that's non-SW.

I'm officially initiated my quest to start snatching up bargain TPM stuff. I didn't buy any figures (well other than some dirt cheap clearance stuff) when the film came out because of the quantity and cost of the items. I'm now perusing ebay looking for things to buy. Does anyone know how many different Qui-Gon 12" figures were released? Also how many Obi-Wan's and Darth Mauls?

The 12" figures are my favorites- and other than large, cheap lots of the little ones, I think I'm going to focus on getting those.

15. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Episode 1 answer to above

12"
    Qui-Gon Jinn-3
    Qui-Gon W/Poncho
    Electronic Qui-Gon
    Obi-Wan Kenobi-1
    Darth Maul-3
    Darth Maul W/Sith Speeder (walmart Exclusive)
    Dartj Maul Electronic
    00M-9 -1
    Battle Droid-1
    Boss Nass-1
    Mace Windu-1
    C-3PO Electronic-1
    TC-14 Electronic-1(KB toys Exclusive)
    Jar Jar Binks-2
    Jar Jar Binks(electronic)
    Chancellor Valorum and Senate Guard (Fan Club Exclusive)
    Sebulba W/Chubbs-1
    Watto-1
    6" Anakin-1
    6" Pit Doidd-1
    6" R2-A6-1

Masterpiece Edition
    Anakin Skywalker (Old Anakin) W/Book (bookstore Exclusive)
    Aurra Sing W/Book bookstore Exclusive)

Queen Amidala Collection
    Beautiful Brides Padme-1
    Hidden Majesty Queen Amidala-1
    Royal Elegance Queen Amidala-1
    Ultimate Hair Queen Amidala-1

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Beautiful Brides Padme-1

What's this one? I don't think I ever saw that one? ?[face_plain]

17. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Whoops Beautiful Braids typo

Also there are

Defense of Naboo (amidala and Qui-Gon Jinn) 2pk
    Hidden Majesty Queen Amidala
    Royal Elegance Amidala
    Ultimate Hair Amidala

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    The braids one was the Tatooine Padme I think. She was rare and hard to find. I did get my hands on a cheap one though. I'd try EBay or Brains Toys for one.

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    ebay....gahhhh I just went on a SW shopping spree there today! No more buying allowed!

I got an electronic Darth Maul 12" figure
    A Dooku 12" figure
    6" Pit Droid 2-pack

And 2 prototype action figures coming from Hong Kong! :D :D (Obi-Wan and General Riekkan.) I can't wait for those to arrive!!!!!

20. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    PadmeLeiaJaina, what kind of 'whip' were you referring to about the Indy figure? [face_mischief]

(Sorry to the mods if that was inappropriate!)

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee hee [face_devil]

22. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I have the 12" Indiana Jones too!! The whip was made of wrapped string I think, but it's a really nice figure overall.

23. Mic_Bob_Chapwell

Mic_Bob_Chapwell Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2004
    Hello? At the beginning of this topic she said stay to the point! Anyway this is Star Wars. I know George Lucas still made both, but thats not the point.

Anyway, I hardly know any Star Wars fans at all, but all of them are boys. Although, thats just me. I think they should make girl ones.

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    How is talking about Indiana Jones collecting off topic? ?[face_plain] It's still mostly SW related IMO since Indy was George's second greatest series of films that he created.

Regardless- there are plenty of female collectors out there. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how many female fans of the film are out there. All you need to do is head over to the fanfic section and girls practically run those boards.

Some day soon I'm planning on bring my entire collection out of the attic and display them again- to prepare myself for Ep3.

Things on my wish list before that happens....

I'm going to work at building up my PT collection since I passed on doing so before. I need to pick up most of the 12" figures, I want the 4 TPM talking/animated banks (OB1, QGJ, DM, and Jar Jar) and most of TPM figures.

I also love masks. I was online last night and saw that Don Post did amazing Watto and Boss Nass laytex masks that I think I'm going to try to pick up to go w/ my vintage Vader, Boba Fett, C-3PO, a furry Chewie masks.

I also want to try to get a Xizor mask. I almost bought one when they came out but didn't. I think down the road the "Shadows of the Empire" stuff will be highly collectible.

I also need to get my mits on the few EU figures that came out that I never managed to pick up.

25. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    If you ever find the Dark Empire Leia action figure, grab one for me . The only "EU" fig I have is Mara Jade, and a friend got her for me.

--MissPadme