main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    We really just need a site that's run by female collectors for female collectors. I've tried multiple times and haven't gotten anywhere. Maybe I can try again.

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    well, new owners, including a woman, can't hurt to try. They are asking for people to bring comments and ideas. When I commented there was hardly anyone at the time saying anything. So easier to be heard if you comment and ask things in the beginning of the comments before too many have crowded the other comments out.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  3. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Have either of you gone down the art path? I picked up some really cute prints from etsy and today when I was searching there were alot more Padme/Queen Amidala art listings.

cathiecat and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm super focused on Pins and occasionally stickers. But I do drool over a lot of the art.

cathiecat and wobbits like this.
  5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have. I have three art prints of Padmé Amidala that I bought at Celebrations in 2007 and 2015. Terese Nielsen, Jason Palmer, and a few others, all are either Padme, Leia, darth vader, or yoda. I have them put away till I am in a nice place to live, hopefully that will be soon

wobbits likes this.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    My last art purchase was an unframed poster of this: Until our Last Breath

FYI....THIS poster, someone stole and is selling MY fanart. I designed the poster here and am getting nothing for it. Which you can see - they even left my signature and old site url on it in the corner.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  7. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I just saw the Until Our Last Breath print yesterday when I was checking out the new updates from Sideshow's con.

Is there nothing you can do? Report the shop to etsy?

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Not really. Fanart you're not supposed to ever profit from it. There are a couple of my Smallville pieces someone cropped my signature off of and are using them on coloring books on Amazon - I really can't do anything there.

Happens all of the time. I find crap coming out of Asia on ebay w/ my stuff. Also had an artist who made Topps trading cards use some of my pieces that they sketched and voila they were officially used....by him.

This is pretty much why I don't do photoshop fanart anymore. Apparently I'm too good at it :(

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    That’s awful!! I thought they would take stuff like that down

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Soo it looks like there are new 16" Robert Tonner dolls that are coming that could work as Padme!

He's got a new fashion doll - Olivia Chase.. I'm assuming she's supposed to be related to the now retired doll Sydney Chase.

They have a few dolls available for pre-order - to be shipping next year.

They have a bare fashion model version - doll comes in undergarments and is a wig doll. She has a brown wig and a red wig. The brown wig is parted at the side which Padme doesn't usually do, but it probably could get a boil perm to make it look more like her relaxed hair for Revenge of the Sith outfits. Doll does have blue eyes, they'd need to be repainted. And her eyebrows are light and would need to be repainted.

Check her out HERE

Second is a dressed doll - she's got rooted red hair w/ bangs. So she'd need a full reroot. BUT I think her brown eyes and eyebrows look more like Padme. Lip shape on all of the dolls doesn't quite match Padme so they could stay as is or be repainted.

Check her out HERE.

Basic dolls is one time purchase only, the dressed doll you can get on a payment plan.

This doll gives us a better view of her face. Hair is auburn and eyes are blue, so she'd need a whole redo to be Padme - reroot and repaint.

Sidenote - I think the doll could work for Rey also

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ok, my roommate has asked what I want for christmas as far as padme amidala or leia goes. I know I have most of whats out there, minus $1000+ purchases what are some ideas?

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  13. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That's cool! I had picked up from Entertainment Earth a puzzle for The Breakfast Club with it's iconic poster and it's in packaging that looks like a video store plastic container.

wobbits likes this.
  15. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I read about those too. Trying to find the Breakfast Club one for my daughter. So far I have only seen Clueless and Footloose.

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    EE is restocking - but you can pre-order it here

I'm trying to veer my spending away from pins and am starting to work on creating 12" The High Republic figures.

I've got a figure ordered who can be Avar Kriss, a Ken who can be Bell, and a body/head to start work on a Vernestra.

I also want to do an Assajj Ventress/ Quinlan Vos from "Dark Disciple" - there are 2 new Barbie/Ken dolls I'm going to use for them.

Still trying to find perfect figures for other characters like Reath, Stellan, and Elzar.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  17. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Thank you for letting me know.

Loungefly got around to giving Amazon their own exclusives (bags, wallets and pins) and just as I was about to snag one of the comic con glow in the dark Darth Maul backpacks I saw a picture of the new force ghosts/ROTJ bag that's coming to Amazon later this month. Has a matching wallet and I scared the dog I squealed so loud! :D

I was on a Star Wars buying hiatus because I was sick of seeing Grogu everywhere and none of the ST or Boba Fett, Bad Batch, Ahsoka merch held any interest for me. Said I was going to wait until Obi Wan show merchandise started showing up but that backpack is a must have. [face_love]

18. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I snagged one of the new Anakin backpacks from Loungefly the other night and just missed putting down a deposit for the Obi Wan bag. It's already shipped!

cathiecat and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    This past week I've been invaded with Barbies. This year I'm going to be sending tons of money a friend of mine's way, she's going to craft all sorts of outfits for me for a bunch of custom figures. Previously she made me a ton of dresses for other dolls in the past. Morgan is from Stardust dolls.

She doesn't know it but I've got a lot of ideas of character's I'd love to have, most will be based off of book characters.

These are my first round of figures to be made:

Dark Disciple

I'm in love with the prequel era character Quinlan Vos. I read and utterly love the book "Dark Disciple" - it's about him and Asajj Ventress. I had thought it was going to be impossible to find figures/dolls that would work for those characters...I was wrong. Mattel has a line called "Barbie Looks" where the dolls have all been given new face molds and the dolls are 100% articulated.

Quinlan Vos - This Ken will be Quinlan Vos. It's hard to tell w/ the comics exactly what skin tone he has some artists make him more black others white, so I feel this doll is a nice compromise. I wish his skin-tone was a bit darker, but the face mold is spot on perfect for Vos. I have to paint his face tattoos and figure out how to make his stunning straight hair to look more dreadlock-ish.

Assaj Ventress - This Barbie will be Asajj. She has a bit too much hair, but I'll leave it as-is. She'll just get face tattoos and I think she'll be perfect. The doll is quite pale.

My dolls will be made with their evening apparel undercover clothing. I also bought an extra Hasbro Mace Windu I'm going to customize his Jedi outfit so I can have a Quinlan Vos with my other prequel Jedi.

Return of the Jedi

Next I went on a quest to find a green doll that would work for a character in The High Republic era. I got a couple of green dolls from Asia, but they're the wrong skin tone/color. They're a very Christmasy green instead of a more Kermit green that I needed. The dolls had blank heads so I'm in painting one of them, I'm going to have her turned into Oola. I know the skintone is wrong, but I'm not going to waste the doll. Once Morgan gets the doll, she's going to build out the lekktu and body suit for the character.

I also have an extra Hasbro Lando figure that I'd like to have his General outfit made for him.

The High Republic

There are a LOT of characters I want made from this era. Once Morgan gets the patterns in place, she'll just be able to up and down size them to make many...many Jedi.

Avar Kriss - Jedi Master Avar Kriss is one of the main characters of the book/comic series. I picked up this figure and she's going to get full formal Jedi dress robes (like the linked photo) I just need to hunt for some boots for her.

Bell Zettifar and Ember - Padawan Bell Zettifar is one of the series main protagonists. He's been adopted by a charhound who he and his fellow Jedi named Ember. This Barbie Looks Ken is going to be turned into him. Bell doesn't have a buzz cut around his head but full braids. I don't care, the doll's face is flat on perfect. I also found a greyhound that's sized appropriately that I'll paint to look like Ember. He'll be wearing the Padawan/day uniform that is in the first photo.

Vernestra Rwoh - Jedi Knight - she was difficult to find the right doll for her. She's got Kermit-green skin-tone. I found a Wizard of Oz Wicked Witch that I thought would work, but they are expensive. Finally one that was out of box but complete came up on ebay and I snatched her up at a good price. Doll will need a full reroot, since Vernestra's hair is purple. Then I will redo the makeup, get rid of the huge curving eyebrows, paint her eyes blue, add on her small face tattoos, and repaint her mouth.

Padawan Lula Talisola - Here's the doll I'm going to use - petite Made to Move - Standard High Republic Jedi Robes. Doll will get full reroot...which is a shame because her hair is gorgeous. Result, I might just head swap the doll.

Those are the figures that I currently have in my queue to get done during winter minus Lando - he'll get done whenever.

Others to be made at a later date:

Jedi Knight Elzar Mann - Human Male Full High Republic Jedi Dress robes. Elzar is rather bland looking, surprisingly finding a head mold that works for him has been a huge challenge.

Jedi Master Stellan Gios - Human Male Full High Republic Jedi Dress robes. Stellan is hot. lol I found a head that I think will work, I'll just have to repaint his hair/beard. I have a tub filled with 1/6 scale parts, I think I already have bodies that will work for both Stellan and Elzar once I order their heads.

Jedi Knight Indeera Stokes - Standard High Republic Jedi Robes and Female Tholothian. This will likely be an expensive one, I'll have Morgan make her headdress including all of her weird hair things.

Padawan Imri Canteros - Padawan to Vernestra Rwoh. Tall, big boned Human Male Standard High Republic Jedi Robes. I might have a doll that's coming that will work for him body-wise, but that will require me giving the doll a full repaint because his face looks nothing like Imri. More likely I'll look for a Fashionista Ken that I can head swap.

Padawan Reath Silas - Human Male Standard High Republic Jedi Robes. I love this character. Like Elzar he's kind of generic looking, but action figure heads are almost all older looking. I possibly could use a Tom Holland head for him, but the hair is usually wrong.

Chancellor Lina Soh - Human Female Gown and Headress. I really want this, Chancellor Soh is a badass! The Chancellor has 2 Targons. I'm not sure how I'm going to get those made.

Possible others to make.

Orla Jareni - White doll - white Jedi robes w/ white/gold cape/robe. She's not really a favorite character of mine, but I think she'd be fun to make.

Padawan Burryaga - Wookie, gold robes. I can use a Forces of Destiny Chewie for him.

Jedi Knight Keeve Trennis - Standard Jedi Robes - Keeve would be higher up the list except her hair is difficult to find a doll that will work for her.

Jedi Master Sskeer - Would need to find a Bossk to customize.

Zeen Mrala - Force user, friend to Lula. Finding a doll to create for this character has been a nightmare. There is one older fairy Barbie that was pink, but she should be short like Lula. Closest doll that I could find would be to use a Monster High doll. But I really don't want to use one of them because their bodies are weird.

I think I'm going to be treating myself to a airbrush this year. If I want to give Zeen justice I would need to fully paint a doll. Her tentacles I'd have to sculpt out, so airbrushing the whole doll the same color would make her look perfect.

There are tons of supporting characters... it all depends on how many I feel like paying for to be made :p

One last custom that I'm stewing over would be to do a Qi'Ra from "Solo". My main problem is there are Emilia Clarke heads out there, but they're either bald or have white hair. The head which is from a Game of Thrones doll line is also smaller in size than standard 1/6 figures. I'm still hunting for a solution for her. I could quite easily do a Val if I wanted. Thank you Mattel for making lots of dolls w/ afros.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    cathiecat likes this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    We do! I collect the books, but what I really, realllly, really want to collect are the Madame Alexander Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Luke Skywalker dolls. The only downside is that they were made in a limited run, and when they came out in 1998, I begged my parents to get them for me out of the Lillian Vernon catalogue, so that would have been 1998.

PadmeLeiaJaina and cathiecat like this.
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    That set was great. I believe they were from FAO Schwartz. They really are a rare item that was made just for girls/females... Can't really say girls since they weren't cheap even when they came out.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  22. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I was 14 when they came out, and $500 was way out of reach.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yeahhhh...they're still super pricey because of their rarity. That set was the only one ever made of dolls of that kind.

I can rant and rave for hours with how annoying it is that Hasbro (or anyone for that matter) refuses to create a long term plan for creating toy lines directed entirely for girls.There's
    "no market" because no one has really tried to make one. Disney Princess dolls weren't a thing until the mid-'90s when Mattel slowly worked to build the doll line and eventually turned it into a mega blockbuster juggernaut that frakking Disney handed over the license to Hasbro.

I understand why independent toy makers like Robert Tonner don't want to attempt to make dolls, particularly now. They would have to share profits with both Disney and LFL for licensing rights. Disney store is producing nice 11 1/2" dolls for Marvel. If Hasbro won't do it I wish that they would...or anyone for that matter.

cathiecat and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Press release came out that as of next year Mattel will be taking back the Disney Princess license from Hasbro.

Honestly I think Hasbro's done a poor job with the line. Their body types are weird and they use very, very cheap hair. The playline clothes are cheap also.

I think next year we need to work on a very large fan campaign to get anyone to make Star Wars dolls. It's ridiculous that there aren't any and that if people want them, the only option is to look second hand. Ahsoka's FOD doll is impossible to find at a low price. Girls deserve better.

cathiecat likes this.
  25. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I finally got a hold of one of the 40th anniversary of ESB Loungefly bags I'd been kicking myself for not buying when released. I love that iridescent backpack with the tauntaun zipper pull.

Also managed to snag one of the LE Anakin Loungeflys and currently waiting on the Obi Wan version from Cordy's Corner. The glow in the dark Darth Maul is pretty cool too.