main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Females unleashed -is it appropriate?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by k3po, Nov 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I have to be the 100th post, its my thread. =P

2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Thats all we need a Jedi Jeff figure :)

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Good lord, JediJeff, you said something intelligent. [face_shocked]

:p

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What's this I hear? A shirtless figure?? Wonder which one that could be...? ;)

5. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Well this is an interesting topic, although how this can be taken seriously as a real problem still eludes me. I can't believe that in this day and age people don't have more important things to worry about than whether or not some toy is "too sexy" for a toy store!?! If 10-year-old boys look at these toys on the shelves and make crude jokes or whatever, who's fault do you really think it is? It's society's fault. And by society I mean all the uptight, mind-numbingly stupid people who insist on telling children that naked people are BAD and sex is BAD and only EVIL people have anything to do with it. You know, Republicans and Christians. Those nutjobs who want to censor and ban EVERYTHING!

The only reason kids will think there's anything wrong with this is if we as adults tell them there is. If our children act like little monsters, then it's our own fault. The human psyche, especially that of a child, is built this way; if you tell a person, or a kid 'No,' the thing you told him not to do becomes exponentially more interesting.

In a few of the earlier posts, people mentioned something about this stuff not being anywhere near as bad as the violence on TV and stuff like that. Actually, that is somewhat of a bogus argument in itself. The violence on TV is a symptom of the violence in the real world, NOT the cause. The real violence existed first, so we can't blame movies or TV or video games. That's another one that amazes me, these supposedly learned, intelligent parents thinking that by not letting Johhny play the new 'Mutant Headbashing Squirrels from Jupiter' game on Playstation 64 he will be a well-adjusted kid. It's actually amusing to me when I hear something like, "Officer, I don't know why Ralphie would kill 17 of his classmates by locking them in a closet with a box of Sharpie markers with no caps until their brains shut down from the fumes. We made sure he didn't have any toys or video games that could be considered the least bit violent! Where, oh WHERE did we go so wrong?" (Then she has a breakdown.)

Anyway, our fictional mom there answered her own question. People are inherently violent and need some way to release that energy. I know people will disagree with me, that happens all the time. But take a look at the world, not just the way it is, but the way it has always been. People are violent, and they make up excuses all the time to carry out their violent tendancies, excuses like politics, land, money. Even religion is just an excuse for war. None of the people I grew up with ever carried a gun to school, nor are any of us in prison for multiple-homicide or anything like that. The reason is simple: our parents let us behave like kids, back when we were kids. We all played with toy guns, and beat the crap out of each other with plastic baseball bats that doubled as swords, and later as lightsabers. We would fight with each other, give each other bloody noses and lips and all kinds of stuff. But in the end we got that stuff out of our systmes when we were little kids, before we were big enough to REALLY hurt each other or anyone else. We also all grew up watching the most violent cartoon in history, Loony Toons, which was FAR worse than any kids show today, but nobody said anything so we all just figured it was a funny cartoon.

Adults are FAR too uptight these days, and it's rubbing off on our children. We need to realize that they ARE kids and we need to let them act like kids before the world makes them grow up.

Okay, now that I have gone a LITTLE bit off topic maybe, [face_blush] I apologize. But someone else brought this whole violence thing up before, I just had to answer it. But to answer the original topic: no, they are NOT going too far. How could the Slave Leia thing be okay in the movie, but as a toy it's going to far? That just doesn't make any sense. And there were a couple of scenes I remember where Padme was having a 'cold moment'. (Nice phrase, by the way. I like that one.) The human body is God's work, and the human female body is some of God's BEST work, :D (At least in these cases

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I had a bunch of people from R2Detroit over last night to put the ISD Lego together last night so I showed them Padme and every one could not belive the rack on her.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I do believe it... ;)

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "You know, Republicans and Christians. Those nutjobs who want to censor and ban EVERYTHING!"

LMAO! Amusingly, it seems you want to censor THEM. [face_plain]

9. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    LMAO! Amusingly, it seems you want to censor THEM.

Actually, I don't believe in censorship in ANY form, even from those particular nutjobs. They should have the same right as I do to voice their opinions, as long as it doesn't interfere with my being able to go to my local TRU and buying the items I want. It is a shame however, that there can't be some sort of compromise made, because historically if you give these pro-censorship wackos an inch, they will ALWAYS try to take the mile. But I can't blame them alone, since it is human nature to want more. But when they start interfering with MY right to life, liberty and most importantly my pursuit of happiness, then there's a problem. Plus, if I have to choose between them being censored or me being censored, I choose them. Again, human nature. So I say bring on the 'cold moment' Padme's and the slave Leia's, and keep putting them on TRU's shelves so I don't have to pay $40.00 to get one from some 50-year old fanboy who still wears the same pair of Aquaman Underoos that he's had since the Carter administration to bed every night, and can be found every Saturday night in the corner bar in the run-down section of town that he lives over, trying to pick up 21-year old girls by impressing them with his collection of restraining orders brought against him by all of the Playboy Playmates of the month since January 1990. All he needs is May and June of 1994 and he'll have a complete collection, but the fact that there's a new one every month makes it difficult for him to keep up. And even THAT guy shouldn't be censored. Institutionalized yes, but not censored. I guess all I'm trying to say is censorship is BAD, no matter what.

Unless we're talking about boy bands. Then it's perfectly acceptable.

10. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Ahhh, A fellow Ranter :p
    A Bit Harsh, But I agree Censorship is Wrong ;) Hate it, People should be able to make up their own minds :)

My earlier "Rant" which mentioned violent aspects of some Action figures was merely a Counterpoint to the Idea that a Scantily clad female SW figure is Inappropriate. The Morbid aspects like Saga Luke's Bloody Stump Would seem more Inappropriate than a Risque Unleashed Leia. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Luke either, I Love Bespin Luke & Jango Final Battle & Dagobah Vader, etc ;) When kids are taught well, None of this Stuff matters. :D The Human body is a Beautiful thing :)
    They'll be Fine, It's just a Buttcheek [face_mischief] :p

Hey Jedi Monkey, You ever shop at Walmart ?[face_plain] [face_mischief]

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "They should have the same right as I do to voice their opinions, as long as it doesn't interfere with my being able to go to my local TRU and buying the items I want. "

Don't worry buddy, they won't, they won't.

\\rollseyes\\

12. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    I do tend to rant a bit sometimes. Sorry about that, and about misinterpreting your point about the violence. To some degree I agree that Star Wars is very violent, but in a cartoon kind of way, not the Friday the 13th part 87, or whatever number they're up to kind of way.

And Sithman, not to sound like a jerk or anything, (at least not more than I already do :),) but I DO worry about it. And AOTC was already censored once when it went to England. I know that's not here, and this whole thing is WAYYYYYYYY off-topic, but it does sort of go along with the whole 'if you give them an inch' thing. But I suppose I shouldn't worry about it, since this is just a friendly discussion, and there haven't been any, (as far as I know,) wackos out there trying to get these out of toy stores.

I am going to stop talking about this now. I am going to be a good little poster. I really, Really, REALLY wanted to try and stay on-topic here...

Sorry folks.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "And AOTC was already censored once when it went to England. I know that's not here..."

\\applauds\\

Way to prove your own point, buddy.

14. LittleGreenMaster

Aug 19, 2002
    Sithy's a part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!!!! He's a Damn Fundamentalist!!! He is Not to be Trusted!!! :p :p :p
    He He, Hey Sithy, Just kidding [face_mischief]

Jedi Monkey, I understand ;) and What about my Question ?[face_plain] Just curious, Because Walmart Censors Music they sell [face_plain] Wanted to see How Strong your Censorship stance goes :) I boycott walmart cause of the censorship

15. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Sorry about not answering your question, LittleGreenMaster. I did not realize Wal-Mart censored the music they sell. I've never really paid attention to their music department, since I assumed their selection would not include most of my tastes. I have bought a few things there, if they happen to get a new action figure first. But I wouldn't consider myself a regular customer. But if they really are pro-censorship as you say, then I will have to not go there. I don't really care about store exclusives, and as a rule I don't get them, so I don't care what they have that no one else gets. If they are pro-censorship I cannot deal with them. In fact, it might be time to write some letters to Wal-Mart corporate telling them how assinine and Un-American this is. I know they USED to be very pro-American back when old Sam Walton was alive, but I think that's changed too, so this would probably be an excercise in futility, but it gives me something to do when I can't sleep at night. ;)

16. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Although when I stop to think about it, not going to Wal-Mart anymore won't really bother me anyway.

17. LittleGreenMaster

Aug 19, 2002
    Well. I 1st heard they would Ask Musicians to Cover album covers that might be Offensive, Which I can sort of understand cause I don't think Every parent wants to have to Explain certain things in the middle of a Department store, More of a Practical thing to me for a store like walmart ;) BTW I'm an Artist :)

Then I read a Few articles That they Force certain Musicians to Change their music. 1st one I read about was Sheryl Crow, But it has been reported several times with various Artists. I say force because if the musician doesn't comply walmart Will Not sell their album. Obviously the musicians Also receive Pressure from their Record label to comply, Because walmart is A Big Chain, Got to Sell Records, etc. Too Many give in, Sheryl Crow [face_love] Did not :) And walmart didn't sell her album.
    This Ridiculous practice isn't discussed Enough in the media for some reason :mad: Only every now & then

I have 1 walmart exclusive toy which I bought at my Friend's comic shop, Han, Luke & Chewie Death Star disguise set ;)

The only way I would buy something at walmart is if they Change there Evil ways :p [face_mischief]
    I have Never been in walmart :D

18. Legolas_Greenleaf_

Legolas_Greenleaf_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2002
    "You know, Republicans and Christians those nutjobs who always want to censor and ban EVERYTHING!"

I didn't appreciate that because... I AM A CHRISTIAN (see signature)!!!!!!!!!! Not a catholic, lutheren or latterday saint or morman, no I'm of e-free denomination!! :mad:

19. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    At the risk of getting way off topic, I need to back up Legolas_Greenleaf_. Not every Christian thinks the same way as the extreme right. Its just as wrong to generalize, no matter what group it is.

Most Christians are rationaly minded people, not fundamentalists. Your comments seem to indicate you posess the same amount of zealousness as those you are so against.

Well, I've said my piece.

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, while your argument is sound in a few places, you are making some broad generalizations.

Many Christians and many Republicans are NOT as you have said all are.

Try to show a little more tact. :)

21. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Okay, a few last things to say and then I'm done with this thread, as it has gotten so far off-topic it's not funny.

Legolas, I'm sorry if you didn't appreciate what I said, or if it offends you. But you know what? People who go around constantly sticking that religious crap in my face offend me. (e.g. your signature.) If I'm gonna have to put up with pro-religious crap, then you have to put up with it when I espouse MY beliefs. Fair is fair.

Pretender, actually most Christians are exactly as I have portrayed them. Or to be honest, I will say that about 95% of the Christians I have met or talked to are like that. Obviously I can't speak for all of them as I have only met a percentage. But then, the same goes for you, so you are generalizing as well, with no more 'facts' available to back you up than I have. Just a different way you want to perceive them. And yes, when it comes to stopping censorship, I am EVERY BIT as zealous as the people I am describing. I won't deny that.

Sithman, first of all, see above paragraph. Most Christians, (and Republicans,) I have listened to are exactly like that. Most of them will vehemently deny this except when in the cozy confines of their local cult headquarters, discussing which books to burn at the next gathering while sipping at big frosty mugs of grape Kool-Aid. Try and show a little less naivete. Second: "And AOTC was already censored once when it went to England. I know that's not here..." \\applauds\\ Way to prove your own point, buddy. If you're going to try and use my own post against me, the least you could do is use a whole statement, otherwise the facts might get distorted. Oh wait, I see the problem. If you had used the whole statement, it couldn't have been used against me. That's why you cut it off in the middle. Say, isn't that what the Republicans and Christians do when they try to "prove a point?"

And lastly, to all of you, go back a read my first post. The line about Republicans and Christians was a throwaway line meant for a bit of comic relief in an otherwise serious subject. IT'S A $##!*&% JOKE! It's a tried-and-true literary device. And those of you who are focusing on that one line out of all the other points that I made are proving the point you are trying to deny! And I wasn't even trying to prove that particular point!

Oh - and before you go posting some incredibly witty reply about if I'm going to have comic relief I should make sure it's funny, remember: for every one of you who didn't think it was funny, there was someone else who did.

Now I think we ALL need to go and re-read the original post, as we all, (myself included,) seem to have forgetten what the topic was.

22. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Guys, please dont turn this into a political/religious thread or I'll ask to have it closed. This is why the middle east is so messed up, its a very sensitive issue and doesnt belong here. I created this to see what everyones thoughts were on the sexuality of these new figures, not about religions and everyone offending everyone. Stay on target.

23. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    I'm getting sick of having to keep coming in here to tell you all to stay on topic. If you want to talk about censorship and the evil beast that is Walmart, that's fine, but please do so in the appropriate forum, The Senate. This is the last warning, next time this thread goes off topic I'm locking it up...

24. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    thx poof

25. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Well...back on topic then

Are there two Padme releases, or only the 'recalled' one? Because the only one I've seen wasn't *that* 'perky' or anything... ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.