main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Feng Yun / Xiong Ba Tian Xia / Storm Riders

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by JediJean, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I've recently become quite interested in this Chinese comic book series, so I was just wondering if anyone else here likes the comic book characters from this series (it's called Feng Yun, a.k.a. Xiong Ba Tian Xia, a.k.a. Storm Riders)??

I'd like to know more about this series, the characters in it, as well as info on the various weapons and martial arts techniques that each character uses.

The problem is that my Chinese ain't that great, so I'm kinda in need of someone to help me learn more about this series :)

2. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    try and find the movies, Storm Riders, A Man called Hero,Assassins, and The Duel.
    A man Called Hero follows on from Storm Riders. Storm Riders is an excellent movie, i have SR and AMCH on VHS and Assassins and The Duel on DVD.

3. tmingyang

tmingyang Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    Hi basically the movie is adapted from the comics series. You can get the TPB version (recommended if you understand cantonese). It will be very expensive if you were to acquire all. My advice is just stick to the movie. (But it won't be the original story)

4. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    tmingyang,

Have you seen the TV series?
    It's been out on VCD for some time now, and it's called "Feng Yun: Xiong Ba Tian Xia" or "Wind and Cloud" in English.

I have not seen any of the full-length movies yet, I've only seen the TV series on VCD, so I'm not sure how accurate the movies are, as compared to the TV series.

Although I know that the movies and the TV series can't possibly be 100% similiar to what is in the comics, from what I've read so far, it seems like the TV series may be more accurate... of course, I could be wrong, 'cos I'm still so new to this whole thing - lol :)

IG_88a,

Thanks for the info, I'll go check them out as soon as I can! :)

5. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    I myself have only read a few pages. My gf do have the whole series including the movie. From her and my friends comment, the TV series are as good as the movie.

Yup, but I don't recommend you to buy the comics cost they are gonna cost a bomb. And if you understand cantonese, it will be even harder to interpret, just like me. I know the chinese word, but the expression make no sense to me since I don't speak canto. I think there's a URL that allows you to read some episodes of the comics.

6. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    From what I understand, there is an English version of the comics available in TPB form, but it costs US$11.95 and it's printed by Comics One.

I believe at the moment, the English TPBs are available up to Vol. 5 already, but I haven't gone comics shopping in awhile, so I don't know if I'll be able to find them here in Singapore.

There are 2 websites which I have looked at so far, which I think is not bad.

This one is in Chinese/Cantonese (I'm not sure which is which):
    http://www.comicsworld.com/index2.htm

And the other one is in English:
    http://www.comicsone.com/stormRiders/

But I guess you're quite right about the comics being expensive, even if it's in English - yipes! :eek:

7. tmingyang

May 27, 2002
    yup, that's the one. COmics world. Chinese one cost around $11-15. I forget the exact price. And it is released up till over 30 episodes already. SO it's really not recommended.

8. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    One of my friends suggested that maybe I should go check it out first before buying.

Like maybe borrow from a friend, or go to one of those 2nd-hand shop or comics shop just to browse through first before deciding whether or not I want to buy them.

After all, I just want to know what happened to the characters according to the original comics series, and about their original background stories :)

If it costs too much, I may not want to collect any or all of the comics after all, but more like I just want to satisfy my own curiousity about those characters and what the comics creator initially wanted them to be like.

I may still want to collect other things though, like maybe the mini-swords and such :)

9. zeroX

zeroX Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2002
    oh good, finally someone is interested in Feng yun. I'm quite a big feng yun fan actaully, so i can answer some of your qustions. I remember how i used to read the comics during double maths lecture with the comic over my lecture book haha :p So here i go

Firstly, about the movie rite, "A man called hero" is not the follow up of Feng Yun. Its just another comic series done by the same author Ma Rong Chen. In fact, there are talks of a second Feng yun Movie with Andy Lau as one of the lead. Yes, the movie is quite good, but for the background story, many parts of the story have been changed so tat it can be done within 2 hours plus plus. And you cant really appreciate the various moves from the movie, its really just for entertainment sake.

And next bout the TV series, seriously in my opinion, it sux. The first few episodes were really good especially on the part about Nie Feng(Wind) and Ming Yue and the Twin Wu Shuang Jian. That part i think was taken from the novels, the comic dont have it. Why do i think its bad? The effects aint great and to think it cost $200 000 to make an episode if i'm not wrong. The cast aint that good n the worst thing is, a huge part of the story have been changed, so its definitely not accurate with the exception of the first few episodes. And the moves, there are simply no variations at all, its always "Pai Yun Zang" or "Feng Shen Tui" except once Wind used the fifth move of "Feng Shen Tui" which is "Feng Juan Lou Chan". I will explain this later. If you wan the VCD, you can get the mandarin version, complete set of 44 disc at way below $20 i think, the price really dropped alot.

About the Comic, currently rite, there are 3 generations already. "Xiong Ba Tian Xia" is really the first generation when both Feng and Yun were still youths. 2nd generation is them in their 30s to 40s i think. 3rd generation which is called "Tian Xia" is their sons' generation but they do appear occasionally. Its good to start from the first generation and decide whether you wan to continue or not. I don really enjoy the comic now reason partly becoz its drawn with computer unlike the past which is by hand. I still prefer the kind of drawing by hand. Yes, the comic is expensive, hong kong comics' prices are marked up alot in Singapore. A good place which should have all the series and sells at a reasonable price would be this chinese comic shop at Bras Basah Complex, location 01-63. You can talk to the pple there about feng yun, they are really helpful and friendly.

Here's a little bit about the characters and the move. The main characters are of course Nie Feng (Wind) and Bu Jing Yun (Cloud)

1)Wind, he's quite a kind person and finds it hard to kill his enemies. He would prefer to see a person's good side instead of the other. He was taught "Feng Shen Tui" by Xiong Ba. Feng Shen Tui is really just an overall tittle for the set of kicks. Its base on speed which made up for the lack of strength. Some of the moves are "Kwang Feng Bao Yu ("Strong wind heavy rain? ") and " Shen Feng Dong" (God Wind move?) Pardon my translation, my english sux. His weapon is the Xue Yin Kwang Dao or the Snow blizzard sabre handed down generations by generations in his family. And unlike wat the Tv series presented, the move for the sabre "Ao Han Liu Jue" is really a set of 6 moves using the sword.

2)Cloud, he's a rather dark person. Hard to understand n very pessimistic. Don believe in having friends n not appreciative of pple. He must have things done his way and despite any costs, he will do anything to get what he wants. But deep down, he is really a lonely person. But as he grew older, he changed alot becoz of the pple around him especially Wind. His nickname is "Bu Ku Shi Shen" or the tearless reaper.
    His move is Pai Yun Zang or the Cloud moving Palms. Its a collection of 12 moves but he only knew 11 as Xiong Ba did not teach him the last. Some of the moves are Pai Shan Dao Hai (move mountain turn sea) and Shi Tian Pai Yun (tear sky move clouds). His weapon is Jue Shi Hao Jian or Life best sword. Basicallly its t

10. Winbros

Winbros Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002

Jean

You can borrow the comics from me. Let me know when you want it, will have to dig it up. Cheers.

E

11. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Just visited the Library@Esplanade today for the first time, and was lucky enough to find the movie I have been looking for - The Stormriders - and it was on DVD too :)

OK, first impressions...
    I think I still prefer the TV series, even though the special effects for the movie were probably better.

I know there are bound to be some inaccuracies in both the movie and the TV series, but right now, I honestly can't say which is more true to the comics, 'cos I've yet to read the comics.

But just based on first impressions (since I am such a novice here), I still think the TV series was better in terms of how the characters were portrayed. In the sense that I could easily tell which one was Yun, which one was Feng, and which one was Qin Shuang very distinctly, whereas I sometimes felt a little confused when watching the movie, 'cos they all kinda looked the same to me... just my opinion though... **ducks incoming blows from other more diehard fans**

But somehow I had the feeling that in terms of the martial arts moves, the movie was better than the TV series. The TV series showed fewer of the moves, so you could say that there was less "variety", and I know for a fact that there are more moves than what is shown in both the movie and the TV series anyways.

Question:
    Which actor do you think plays the part of Yun better - Aaron Kwok (the movie) or Peter Ho (the TV series)? And ditto for the part of Feng...

That's all I can say for now about the movie and the TV series though... I'm still waiting to read the comics, but probably I'll do that after my exams are over...
    Thanks Winbros for the offer! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.