main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fenn Rau

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would be down for Revan being Tar Vizsla in the regard to the person who ended the war.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, so, judging from Rau's statement that Maul used the Darksaber to divide Mandalorians, I think we can safely say either he and the Protectors are the same group that guarded Satine (and were opposing Death Watch and Maul from that standpoint) or hold to Bo-Katan's belief that only Mandalorians can rule Mandalore. It also sounds like it was a major fracture among the Mandalorians.

And here's a theory on why Skull Squadron could operate as Republican Mercenaries; they were simply on loan to Republic forces, and the New Mandalorian government supported this because using the warrior traditions outside of Mandalorian space was seen as a productive and practical outlet. The New Mandalorian government was overall about disarming and staying off a war footing, but was not ultra-pacifistic, considering their cops and guards.

3. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Fenn's new armor from the Rebels Concept Art:
    [​IMG]

Best shot of his new helmet we've had. It kind of looks like it shares similarities to Pre Viszla's blaster helmet, but without the "horns" and the lower parts of the cheek, and the top part of the "visor".

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    The armor looks *way* better when portrayed with a darker color palette and the shoulders tightened to match his build better.

5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I was rewatching Protector of Concord Dawn, and in light of the confirmation that the Protectors are the same group as Satine's guards, I found that line Rau has about how he "fought one losing war for the Jedi" has some interesting implications. Finn's already got this clear respect for Jedi abilities and martial ethos, even when he rejects their idealism, and here we see him directly tie in working for the Republic as working *for* the Jedi. I really like how it implies that the Protectors might have a more measured opinion of their conflicts with the Jedi, since they'd be on the front lines against and alongside Jedi as enemies and allies, at least in comparison to the views someone like Pre Vizsla has of them.

The Protectors may have more clear respect for the Jedi because they've had enough conflict to recognize the parallels between their own organization and the Order; they thus recognize that Protector objectives and Jedi rules may not align, but that you can trust the Jedi and their word. Meanwhile, Clan and House leaders would be less likely to encounter Jedi to the same degree, and when they did, it might be almost always as enemies. Thus you get why Fenn the Protector starts his Darksaber story talking about a Mandalorian Jedi while Viszla's begins with the lightsaber being stolen; the Protectors would see being accepted into the Jedi Order as an honor, while Vizsla does not see that distinction.

6. Brandon G

Brandon G Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Ya know now that Bo-Katan is the new ruler of Mandalore:) I wonder if Fenn Rau will be able to recruit some NEW MANDALORIANS to join his Protector Clan?![face_thinking]

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    So... what would you guys prefer for Fenn’s fate given events in The Mandalorian?

Is he dead in the Purge, possibly as one of the biggest elements that collapsed Bo-Katan’s authority alongside losing the darksaber...

...Or is it possible he supports a different Mandalore candidate now?

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think they're going to keep him alive considering I think they modeled Rau on Kevin McKidd and it would be a shame not to see him as a live action Mando. I think he's going to be pestering Sabine again to take up the throne considering how badly things went with Bo Katan at the helm.

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Talk about a great idea!

...though now I’m tempted for them to do a full on live-action flashback to Sabine’s duel as well, just so we can see Gar Saxon in life action as well. Titus and Pullo, reunited!... As enemies!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Good point, since he was the one who floated basically that idea to Kanan. He also witnessed the duel on Krownest, and could speak to the 'story' of it. Ursa could, too, but I wonder if she and Tristan will turn out to be casualties of the Purge, since they already got the fake-out death treatment in Rebels.

But Rau could also come with a few remaining Protectors and add to the mix of Bo-Katan with the Nite Owls, and the Armorer with some remaining Children of the Watch. Hey, Favreau and Filoni first collaborated on Mandalorian politics. :)

godisawesome likes this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Plus... that armor of his is really sweet, and I want to see it in live-action.

...And his Fang Fighter as well.

whostheBossk and Grey Matter like this.
  12. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Right now I head canon that Ursa and Alrich died during the Purge...and Tristan leads the clan due to Sabine's history.

But I have said for a while that they should get Kevin McKidd in for live action Fenn Rau.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    It actually just occurred to me that, as much as I consider Sabine to be a clear cut Pro-Republic, Pro-Jedi Mando... how much do those descriptors fit Rau?

He seems to have a positive view of Tarre Viszla that Pre Viszla didn’t share, was implicitly working as a Rebellion member between his second and third appearances, and the Protectors seemed to share Satine’s own overall positive if wary view of the Old Republic and Jedi Order.

How much is it possible he might have political motives for viewing Sabine as a good candidate as well?

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think Rau favored Sabine in Rebels because despite her defection, she was still from a clan under the wing of the ancient House Vizsla, so she has a small degree of nobility and a loose connection to its original wielder. On top of that, she earned Rau's respect by being bold enough to challenge the Empire when presumably not even Bo Katan openly fought against them. That's probably his primary motivation for supporting her.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Thats’s a Pretty good rundown, but looking back, I think there’s even more than that.

His men seemed more wary of her affiliation at first, as a the Protectors fought Death Watch, and then she defeated him in battle and he didn’t act like she’d won his loyalty there... but instead when she struck back against Gar Saxon and arguably humbled him by acting more honorable again there.

I think her character impressed him markedly more than her heritage, since he would have known the good and bad of the main Viszla family, and that his opinion isn’t just based off Mandalorian traditions either.

He could be optimally primed to give Don the kind of critical analysis of Sabine’s strengths and weaknesses beyond the politics of her heritage and personal history, perhaps even offer a counter-argument when her designing the Duchess gets brought up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think its important not to lose sight of the facts. Fenn Rau and his Protectors sided with the new Empire, they were already allied with the Republic. Rau also became the Empire's main ally on Concord Dawn and was a rival to Emperor's Hand viceroy Gar Saxon. They were political rivals for the Emperor's graces and control over the Mandalore sector. Rau was defeated and held hostage by the rebels, Saxon simply took that as a major opportunity to wipe out a competitor, and one that had already was weakened.

Whatever loyalties to Satine Rau may of had was already pretty much gone right up until he was captured 3 years before Yavin. He was a stauch Empire supporter and anti-Rebellion. But he held onto a grunge against Death Watch which is no where to be found on Rebels. Whatever the two Saxon's were, on the show they were Imperial loyalists like Rau and the Protectors.

Sadly the Rebels cartoon was silly and all over the place. They had super-duper Sabine defeat both Rau and Saxon. One eventually yields while in captivity t and becomes her advisor or sorts and eventually a loyalist and other dies refusing to submit after their battle. Sabine hands power over to Bo-Katan because on that show she was like some sorta royalty.

The Protectors how far they went back is unknown, but probably were related to the group of Mandalorians that defeated the true Mandalorians that Death Watch sought to resurrect. All we know of them they were what was left of those that once protected the elected monarch Satine. They seemed more like Praetorian Guards loyal to once to the New Mandalorian cause. But by the Age of the Empire they were already loyal to Palpatine.

In Season 7, neither Rau nor the Protectors were involved.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m rewatching Rau’s first appearance now, and I actually noticed something that I think foreshadowed his eventual support of Sabine and work as a Rebel asset. He actually puts away his blaster after Kanan identifies himself as a Jedi, even though he was covering him as a Rebel. And he clearly states in both that episode and in his next appearance that he has no love for the Empire, and is only serving them because he’s grown weary and cynical of fighting whatever good fight there once was. He actually seems to still have a quiet admiration for the Jedi and hopes to see Mandalore outlast the Empire.

He actually works really well as a more heroic Mandalorian fallen into depression and despondency by the time of Rebels, who simply needed to be reminded why heroism was better than pragamatism.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah -- and despite the long-standing Jedi-Mando conflict, he seems to know that both have been reduced to a shadow of their former glory by the crappiness that is the Empire, in one way or another. There was definite respect and a clear longing for a conflict with an enemy of some kind of worthiness.

godisawesome likes this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The implication that Rau and the Protectors probably recognize and admire the honor of the Jedi in a kind of kinship is also a nice touch, especially in contrast to Death Watch’s very nationalistic type of “honor” that is exclusively for its own members and adherents.

If the Protectors show up again, they might be de facto the most righteous Mandalorian faction if Rau maintained his re-invigorated altruism from hanging out with the Ghost crew.

20. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    That brings up an interesting question, which is... what's the "quintessential" Mando faction, or, maybe separately, the "ideal" one?

Satine's pacifists are definite outliers. Death Watch is bad news, and the Children of the Watch are just a more mystic/insular version of the same. Clan Wren (as it ends in Rebels) is maybe too idealized to be quintessential.

Bo-Katan's faction (Nite Owls etc.) is probably the one we're meant to see as "emblematic", more moral than Death Watch but still with a militant Mando edge that's not exactly okay with our general protagonists -- there's an edge to her/their relationships with Ahsoka, Sabine and Din that's mean to tell us she's an uneasy ally.

And I think that does kind of mean that a new iteration of the Protectors fielded by Rau just might, as you say, strike the best balance between Mando tradition and being true straight up "good guys".

godisawesome likes this.
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Protectors have the moral advantage that's included in their very title - they protect Mandalore, whether the ruler, the planet, or the people. While this does mean that they can, in theory and likely in previous practice, protect a tyrant or despot, we also know that Rau was likely inducted into the Protectors of Satine’s New Mandalorian regime, who were willing to forsake even their traditional armor if need be to serve the peace and prosperity the New Mandalorians were arguing for.

It forms an interesting parallel with the Jedi as keepers of the peace and guardians of the Republic - which would play further into the obvious respect and politeness Rau gives Kanan even when employed by the Empire, as well as his reference to fighting a losing war “for the Jedi,” since there’s some ambiguity as to why Protector fighters were armored up and giving air superiority to Republic forces when the planet was neutral.

Perhaps there were some Protector volunteers who left to help the Republic out of a belief in the righteous strength of the Jedi, or Rau was already a pro-Jedi Mando before joining the Protectors?

*If* he and the Protectors show up again, their possible absence form Bo’s faction (since there is a chance they could be at her headquarters or such) could be a rather meaningful repudiation of her authority as a Pretender Mandalore.

22. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Part of it has to do with how many Mando factions they want to put on the chessboard, I guess; the narrative of The Mandalorian is usually pretty clean and streamlined and they have thus far fielded these different cadres one by one in a pretty easy-to-follow way.

I think there's room for the Protectors, especially given that they've got Rau as an existing character and they like using those. I would then think there's room for a new iteration of the straight-up-traitor Saxon/Almec types. Exactly what position Death Watch/The Children of the Watch are going to fill is not entirely clear yet: they're sketchy looking at this point but I don't think they're going to be shown as complete baddies. Din is walking away from their hardline stance but the narrative perspective on them has not turned entirely negative. Bo's crew seems to find them exasperating but doesn't reject Din for his association, and we still do have their rescue of Din as a foundling making them seem not all bad.

godisawesome likes this.
  23. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I thought Almec and all the Saxons were dead...
    If the Empire straight out destroyed Mandalore what possible Mandalorian would align themselves with Imperials?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  24. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Some other new traitorous jerk types who helped the Empire do the deed to begin with -- there are always sellouts, right?

25. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    There are always sellouts. Destroying your homeward, though, and not just playing the vassal, but helping the Empire grind down next to everything about the Mandalorian people and culture...they'd also have to be total scumbags and have no sentiment or attachment to anything Mandalorian. So at that point, would they even be Mandalorian?