main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:UK Midlands Meet-Up

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Lord-Wiz, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    O.K.

I would like to suggest a Midlands meet up. As i and other members of the midlands chapter cant make it to Jairen`s BBQ, and as there are things that need to be discussed.

As we all made it to Star City, i would suggest we meet there. there is a cinema (so we could catch a flick if needs be) and there is also a nice quiet bar where we could talk about what needs to be talked about (as everyone who made it to the first meet knows). if any one has a suggestion for an alternative place to meet please post it here.

the date for this meet will be the 7th of august, time to be squabbled over amongst ourselves. although early suggestions would be around 6.00 p.m.

This WILL happen, so be there or be square.

I thank you.

EDIT this will be a social event so no costumes are required ( you know who you are :p ) and as such, everyone is invited to come along and will be made more than welcome.

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm currently discussing it with Martin, and as usual, I'm always up for a meet -- my friends usually say that I'll "go to the opening of an envelope!" o_O

If anyone else has any ideas, etc...please bring forth said ideas! :)

3. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Star City is good enough for me and 6pm is good for me too, I am flexible on both location and time but not the date I'm afraid.

As I won't be able to get to Phill's BBQ (sorry guys), it would be good for us to discuss where we go from here and what we intend to do with our CR, assuming they can make it.

4. jangofett9

jangofett9 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2004
    I agree would be nice although do we have to see a film? I have seen msot of the fioms out at the moment and only film I can think of going to see is the wedding crashers or charlie n the chocolate factory guys!
    sorry if im being selfish btw dont know if I'm available then....might be at my caravan in wales getting drunk! (no wisecracks martin!)

5. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    I have a better idea.
    A friend of mine is having a B'day in August. and i have a plan.
    she and a few mate wish to join but have stupid parents.
    The cinema always shows films long after their release.
    I think we should get together there and watch episode 3 for the last time.
    Also i plan to ring the cinema on our behalf and ask if it is possible to rent a screen. Then do a marathon on big scrren like they did in london!
    I have many more ideas for this and i could make it the first really big gathering we have. but we will see.

What does everyone think?

6. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    Unless you have the reels to the other 5 Star Wars films, you won't be able to do a marathon, otherwise they'd be doing them all over the country. :D

7. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i have already thought of that and the solution is....
    they either get em for us or we can try hooking up one of digital projectors from my school and a laptop!
    problem solved

8. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    Well, they won't have them, my brother worked in a cinema when Episode 2 was released and they sent the recordings back. Even if they happened to keep some, they'd have deteriorated by now.

And unless they have a digital projector, which is highly unlikely, i doubt they'd go for your idea. I don't know though, but my cinema here certainly wouldn't let me bring my own films in! [face_shame_on_you]

9. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    we would be renting the space or something
    let me ring and ask first k!

10. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Sounds like a good idea, I can't speak for the other members but it's worth looking into.

11. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, I can tell you now that having a Star Wars marathon, ala Celebration Day style is going to be extremely difficult. You have more chances looking into the Queens handbag, to be truthful. For starters, we need a crowd - a large crowd to warrant the cost of renting out a theatre. Next, to do a marathon - 6 Star Wars films in 1 day is a long event, and I do mean long. I was there in London, so I know exactly how exhausting it is. Considering that we started at 7am, we didn't start coming out of ROTS until around 11pm.

We also need the go ahead from Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox, which is going to be quite a stretch. Fox also has the prints, themselves, not the cinema. The cinema will have to pay fee to Fox to have the prints, and they will not generate the money back from a cinema to pay off the lease. Even if it's screening the DVD's, there are a couple of things to remember. Even running of a digital projector, the quality is going to be quite poor - I should know, I used to work in a cinema once, and we did this with several movies. Secondly, we still need permission from Fox and Lucasfilm, because the cinema is generating a revenue from the screening.

Dave, I know you want this to go through, but considering tomorrow is only going to be the third meeting, don't you think perhaps we are getting a little ahead of ourselves?

As for Episode III, it's an idea, but I wouldn't count on it. Cinema chains are getting ready to pull the film, by the looks of things. They have already cut down on the amount of screenings they are showing per day. If it's still running by mid-August, I'd be surprised.

Remember, everyone...You must learn to crawl before you can walk.

But your enthusiasm is good. At least your heart is in the right place! :)

12. jangofett9

Jan 23, 2004
    I agree...but dude this is a social meetup as stated not another big star wars meetup! just a social drink n chat between members like at starcity last time......but without lightsabers unless you feel the complete overwhelming urge to bring it along n stick it up when jonny depp comes on screen as Willy Wonka! sure tha audience would appreciate that!

13. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    right.k.
    this particular cinema is wierd. they only show stuff thats old which in this case is star wars in august so it will be on.
    it isnt open all the time and i think it only has one screen so we would only rent one screen!
    im sure i could get the price down. we could make it an event which means others will pay for it as well.
    and we dont have to get the other films we can just use a digital projector and my DVD's.

wait till i find out whats happening. it might be small it might be big we will see!

14. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    I have rang 2 cinemas the first is great part in birmingham. they could probably do it if we supplied the films. i have contacted theforce.net about this already.

the other one is in Pershore. if you dont know where it is go here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=394974&y=245748&z=3&sv=pershore&st=3&tl=Pershore,+Worcestershire+[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

they have a courtyard room which can be turned into a cinema for a day. Its cheaper and easier than getting the auditorium. It will cost £10 and hour plus £50 for equipment but we wont be able to watch episode 3 unless someone can get hold of a pirate copy of the DVD. the room can hold 100 people i think the guy said. The only day it would be avaliable would be a friday he thinks.

we could open it to the local public as well and make a profit that we can give to charity. which means that the cost will be covered!

The question is what do you guys think? is this worth going for? how many would come? do you know others who would be interested?

15. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    don`t mean to rain on your parade, but there is no way i could possibly afford or even find the time to do a marathon the way you are suggesting. as others have said, we should learn to walk before we run.

we are only just setting out on this path, and while our chapter is still small we should start small with social events etc before we let rip with the big guns and hire out cinema`s/social clubs. maybe in the future when we have 100`s of members ( :p ) then meets like you are suggesting would become feasable.

just my 2p`s worth, and i fully expect to get slapped down.

16. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    well if we bring in the locals we can charge a normal rate and pay for the lot with a profit for charity.
    The question really is if u guys can get down this far?

17. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Well there is no way I could make the 7th but I agree a meet up before signatopia is needed. From what I gather from Phils at the week end , I am the only one going to Signatopia. Whats the point ! How can I push the social aspects of the FFUK if no one bothers to turn up to an event, yeah thats very sociable. It will look stupid .

18. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Whoa there V. As Jo very kindly offered to let me stay that weekend, then I can go to Signatopia as well, so there will be at least 2 of us from the Midlands.

I know that there are others from across the UK definitely going as well. Sakara from Wales, Master Fatburt from the Northern, Jedi_Padawan_Leigh is going. I thought Ninja was toying with the idea as well?

19. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay then. I was just saying if it was just me, its not going to be very impressive is it.

20. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oh, I am interested, don't get me wrong. My main concern was that I was actually going to a wedding party in Coventry the night before - something I had actually had planned before Signatopia was actually mentioned. And I am not sure if we are staying down in Coventry the night, or the weekend.

I'm interested, but not a definite.

21. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    well if theres 4-5 of us thats better than 1

22. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    im hoping to go as well!
    but its up to my parents i am still pursuading them!
    and do we get if free if we have a stall there?

23. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    No it's not free. I've arrange a deal which I need to check back on for the two people who will be attending the stall in concert with me and V, but the rest of you will have to pay full price. That was the best deal I could get.

24. rebeljediknight_88

Jun 15, 2005
    i was going to help at the stall! it was my sole purpose of going!

25. jangofett9

Jan 23, 2004
    Should of got in earlier then Dave!

And defintly cannot make Signatopia as I said becuase of finances etc.........sorry! Bet you guys will make it excellant anyway!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.