main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK:M's Future. Does it even have one?

Discussion in 'Archive: Midlands and Wales' started by Jairen, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Well, some of you may have noticed, some of you might not have, but the new name for the Midlands Fan Force has been chosen and updated on the boards. You can see the link above. We are now the "Sci-Fi and Fantasy Guild".

I personally want to thank Dave for handling the flack on this, because that's all he seems to have got from everyone on this. I threw the idea out there about coming up with a name for our group, just as every other group seems to have, including London here on the FF-UK. I wanted a name that reflected who and what the group were, and had an acronym that wouldn't reflect badly on the family elements I hoped the group wanted to attract.

Instead all that happened was whining and crying over losing our acronym and leaving the fan force. No one said, at any point during the discussion, that we would be leaving the fan force. Damn, this place is home and the reason we all came together. But, like other fan force groups throughout the entire world wide fan force, I thought it might be nice to become more than what we were, to push on towards what the majority of us were originally looking for, a group that wanted to do more than just talk about films, but do stuff, help charity, attend events etc, etc.

However, due to the crap that I seemed to be getting for being involved with my own fan force and being RSA, I asked Dave to put the thread up. He did, and for that I thank him, but I slipped up and I didn't post what I'm saying here on the private thread, and I should have.

I think it comes down to this people, what do you want from your fan force? If all you want is a social group that gets together once in a while and that's it, then say so, right now. If you want more, than also say so, right now. Because for me, this ends here.

I wanted more than a social group. Was socials a part of it? Hell yeah, of course. I love going to the cinema, getting drunk, going to events etc, with you guys. It's great. However, I wanted more. Yes, I wanted more. I'm gonna be really selfish here and say that I've pushed, cajoled, argued and fought to move the fan force in the direction I wanted it to go. It was the main reason I agreed to take up the position of RSA about a year ago. And boy, was that met with some hot words off these boards.

Now we have a name change, and all I'm hearing is bitching, left, right and centre, and a lot of it isn't even coming from our group. I don't give a flying **** about what the other groups think of what the Midlands are doing. If they don't like it, tough. If they are jealouos, tough. If they want to do something similar, more power to them. Go for it, just don't have a go at a group that I thought was headed somewhere.

First off, there are a lot of people here who owe Dave an apology. He's a volunteer, for ****** sake. He's giving up his time and effort to help out on these boards, to arrange things, to be there for those that want to discuss the pretty much anything. And all that's happened is people have bitched and complained about what he's been doing.

Well enough, as far as I am concerned. He's done nothing but put in every effort.

As for the future of the group. Well, what do you want it to be? I know I sat down and had a long discussion with my CR (since he is my CR now that I'm standing down as RSA) about what I saw for the group.

I saw proper officers, e.g. President, Vice President (CR), Treasurer. I saw us being a group that took part, that got involved. I saw more than just Ang and me doing the Big Brum Walk in FF-UK:M t-shirts for charity. I saw a future for what I thought would be a great club. I saw welcome packs, membership cards, newletters, items that members could buy (or sell for charity, hence the new logo with no copyright artwork on it).

Is that what others want? I'm not sure. But it is the direction I would like to go, and I know Dave and Ang were interested in what I had to say.

So, speak up, tell me what you see as the future for our group, here in the Midlands. What is it yo

2. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    First of all I would like to thank Dave too, he has been a gread credit to this Fan Force and has really been a big help for me personally since I have started getting involved. He is mostly the reason I did in the first place, I think he sent me a PM saying I should and I am really glad he did. Plus he sent me a big PM the other day which explained a lot of things to me which to be honest, I didn't have a clue any of you were talking about half the time at most of the meets. :p

And as for the Fan Force, the social side is great and a lot of fun! But things like charity work will give us a good reputation and it is for a good thing and makes us better people. Plus we look like a lot better of a group, one that does chairtys etc compared to one that just get together every now and then and go to flicks and cons etc, as much fun as that is.

And the Walkathon, I am usually up for things like that. I always do the sutton funrun and and I do things such as DofE, so thats up my street. But at the moment I'm right in the middle of exams and they are coming thick and fast and they are very important, I have to put then first.

I would like to see us go forward with charities etc and expand as a group. But thats just me.

3. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    First off I'd like to thank Phill for being so honest and helping US get to where we are.

We have had many discussions about who we want to be, where we want to go, what this should all be about, sometimes we've all agreed and other times we haven't, that's what makes the world go around I guess but how do we expect to get anywhere when something as simple as a name change has such a huge effect, I'll tell you how - The idea and the reasons behind it weren't explained to all of the chapter members in a way that they could understand, or they just plain ignored it until it became such an issue that they came to their own conclusions - we failed to communicate on a grand scale and dropped the ball. Several times we've had discussion on a 'Business' level to try and iron out the problems but this is an organic thing, things change on a regular basis and we're still running to catch up, that will always be the nature of what we've created.

I would gladly offer an apology to Dave, not for making things harder for him but for not pointing out the possible pit falls that lay ahead, Dave knows why I don't feel the need to make a public apology to him and I'm sure if you ask him, he'll explain it, I've never been one for blowing trumpets but not everything that's done for this group is posted up on here.

Do we have a future? At this point I can't say one way or another, there are things we need to deal with before we move further forward. You are all people I am proud to call friends, some of you may annoy the #### out of me at times but the potential we have as agroup far out-weighs any difference of opinion.

I've said this since day one of our little adventure - Together as one, or not at all, I stand by that and hope the rest of you do too.

4. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Everybody's right here.

And Dave, looks like you got the most controversial topic in a while to break you in as CR!! :p

I'm really cool with the direction. I mean, it's not even a new direction for me. I actually signed up here because of the fact that I saw messages about charity work. I wouldn't have just gone to Birmmingham to meet, let's face it, grown men, who know WAY too much about the weapons used in Aliens for anyone's safety!! :p You seemed like a genuine nice group with actual goals that help our community. (Yeah I'm sounding like a wussy, so what. Go play in traffic.) Charity work is something I'd really like to do with my life and to have it as an out of work activity with fellow geeks is EXCELLENT!

I'll put it like this, the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Guild is not what I thought it was when I signed up. I read this on the FF-UK website before I posted here and thought "Wow, they're cool people!"

Now, sorry to say it. In the last 2 months since I've been here none of that charity stuff gas happened. Yet. It IS happening now! The Brum walk is coming up soon and if I can get there, I'll try and do it. Since Dave's stepped into the CR position (no disrespect to Mark, he took me under his wing when I joined) we have started a long and steep journey to evolve.

I share Phill's ideas of membership cards, badges, newsletters and things that make us a real group and not just a bunch of overweight (MAJORITY! Not us all, Martin!) sweaty men who que up outside Toys R Us! But this is underway! TimBolton displayed a test copy of a FF-UK newsletter at the Collectormania show just gone by which was excellent and really shows us going forwards as a community.

To anyone worried about loosing the social aspect of it, you don't need to worry. Making these changes is only going to enhance our friendship and INCREASE the number of meetings and gatherings. Only this time they won't be at Pizza Hutt spending your cash they'll be raising cash to buy food for people in need.

So yeah.. you know what I think :) I'm all for it!!

5. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Walkathon? Guys, if you're doing anything for charity, let me know! I'm up for most things! And this chapter should be a model to the others, as should it's CR and Phill (why does it always have 2 'l's?) who got the ball rolling.

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm agreeing with what is generally being said, and I am starting to sense that we are having problems, but it doesn?t necessarily mean it?s the end. But what is the problem? Where are we going wrong? Or for that matter, are we going wrong at all, and there is an outside influence that is creating problems?

Over the last month or two, things have been going good for us. The chapter has been running smoothly, the infighting has not been there, and we have generally all been getting along. In an attempt to create generate some fresh interest, it was suggested that we change our name to something that may be a little more appealing to the public, a decision that was not made lightly, but it was made none the less, but it has been met with unjust comments from within and outside of the chapter. Phill is correct in saying that some people owe Dave an apology, and he has given 110% to the chapter, and I for one are glad that he had succeeded me in the role of CR, because he has given the chapter a much needed boost of enthusiasm.

I agree with Chris, it has taken us longer than expected to get to where we eventually liked to have gone. In all fairness, he has made a valid comment about why he joined, and because thus far we haven?t managed to do what we set out to do, he could have walked away at any time, but he has stayed with us showing faith in us, and in what we wanted to achieve.

When I first got the notion of a Fan Force, it was different than what I was expecting us to go into. The concept of what a Fan Force chapter were was far away from what we are now, and to be honest, it?s a good thing, too. I thought that chapters were just people who got together every so often and swapped stories, chatted about news of the saga, go and see the occasional film together, and maybe have a few drinks. We?ve done that, and much more. We?ve made new friends. We?ve shared similar interests and experiences. We have gone to various different meetings all over England. We?ve even hosted tables, met some of the stars, and had a good laugh at conventions. Now we are looking to go beyond that.

The walkathon will be something that we can say that the group has been a part of. We have been invited to a few events as guests of various organisations, KOTE/UKG/etc. Hopefully in continuing what we do, we will gain in strength and numbers, and raise our profile.

7. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    I think we need to draw up the problems here and have people post what they think is wrong etc, then have another meet like the one in February to discuss what we are going to do and sort all this out. Just a good old sit down and talk. I think we need another one.

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Well, I know I got involved with this under awkward circumstances, but I believe I backed Dave 100% in whatever he felt is right. As I do the Midlands. You are a great bunch of people, remember that. I came on these boards to chat to like-minded fans and you know what, maybe make a few good friends along the way. I have been blessed with both of those goals, and not just from my local chapter, but ALL chapters. The FF-UK is a good bunch of people. I hope whatever is the causing difficulties you are having can be resolved, and soon. Know also that I'll be here backing and helping in any way you want me to, and I know the FF-UK: North lads and ladies will too.

:cool:

Midlands rocks!

9. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    first off i'd like to thank phill for responding in the way he has and not banned me into next year.

secondly, i don't want apologies. if anyone needs to apologise it's me. whenever there is a drama i always seem to be stuck in the middle of it. i am there in the middle because i have a great passion and drive for this chapter, and i want us to be the best that we can possibly be and i always will. i don't enjoy slanging matches and the bitching that sometimes goes on, even if any of you think that i cause trouble for the fun of it. seriously, i lose sleep thinking about some of the stuff that goes on. i hate the turbulence that sometimes encroaches into our discussions, and i am certain that it is no fun for any of us at times, so i want to apologise to you for seeming to be the cause of all the drama.

however, that doesn't mean that i will stop ruffling feathers, kicking asses and saying what i think because that is who i am off the boards and in real life too, and this has got me into trouble on more than one occasion. if i have a problem with anyone i will let you know and we can discuss it and solve it one way or another (ask richie ;) ), and i fully expect that to be a two way street. if you have a problem with me then tell me, i have a thick skin. that's me folks, always has been.

the phone calls, the pm's, the e-mails, the text messages that fly around behind the scenes every day that keep this thing going some of you just wouldn't believe, and not just on this board or with you guys here either. this has turned into a full time job (and the pay is lousy :p ). i wouldn't do anything if i didn't think it was worth it, and everyone will reap the benefits and the rewards of the things that are going on off the boards (and i am not alone in the work that is going on, so please don't think i am taking credit for other peoples efforts). as i said in my pm to jon and chris, please have faith, it will all be worth it.

this latest drama seems to have stemmed from the re-brand thread at the secret base(tm (one day i will work out how to have "tm" in small text :p )). as has already been posted, and i won't drag too much of it up again, at no point did anyone say we were breaking away from the FF-UK. we needed a new identity in order to gain us some ground in new areas, that is all. buy the ticket take the ride was a great tag-line, but it said nothing about who and what we are. we are now a guild. the majority chose. it wasn't forced on anyone (remember the last "conference at star city when it was said that silence is an agreement and that the majority rule?), the thread ran for two weeks and people did read too much into what was going on and as such a drama rose it's ugly head. can we please put it behind us and move on? the name changed, nothing else.

look how far we have come in one year!! this time last year we were talking about starting a chapter, this thread here if you want history :D , and we were arranging going to see ROTS at star city. i remember that first meet like it was yesterday. i can't believe it was a year ago! i remember driving to star city thinking wt* am i doing, stuffing my lightsaber up my t-shirt in case everyone looked liked dorks so i could walk on by ;) (tom, i never did give you that ass whooping :p ). walking into the cinema with our lightsabers lit up, sitting in the middle of the cinema and talking loudly through the film, coming out and that dude asking what film we had seen (we were wearing star wars t-shirts and carrying lightsabers :oops: ), that drunken dude being dragged off by his mate while the battle raged outside..... i could go on. good times dudes, and we have gone on from there.

as for the future of the chapter, hmmm, where to start?

charity work is a definate goer, tony's painting is still in the bag, the walkathon on sunday, if anyone has any ideas shout them out! we want your input!!

membership packs is a goer to

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah, there have been some silly arguments regarding losing the acronym?

But as Wiz says, the chapter? has lurched forward in 12 months

Jairen got a lot of unfair flack for supporting HIS OWN LOCAL CHAPTER? and I hope that's all behind us.

But I think an official serious meeting is probably in order to discuss what other events we can do, and how we can move forward?

halibut?

11. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Ive been blissfully unaware of any drama but ......

I want T-shirts, I want badges, I want meet ups, I want events, I want people to know who we are. I dont want to pander to those who moan but do nothing. Now I know my glass house is going to break in a momment. I wanted to do the walk in costume, I want to go to every meeting, but at the moment I have a hell of a lot happening in my life and it means I cant be as active as I used to be, believe me no one regrets it more than I do.

But I want us to carry on. If people want to leave because they perceive us as not being part of FF, then ok, its just Darwinism working. WE are getting stick from other groups, but not the Northern lot, because we have done something, as have they, its jealousy pure and simple.

I do appreciate all the hustling Phil & Dave and co do behind the scenes because with out that we wouldnt have anything. And Dave keep kicking ass, because other wise we will stagnate.

Because of the amount I have on, I cant be a 'player' I have to take a back seat while all this is going on. But I trust you guys to do the best for us, to take us forward.

12. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    LMAO at "halibut?"

Dave is gonna be sooo jealous.

And, little miss "I'm too busy for anything", no worries hun, you know we'd never get rid of you ;) :p Oh, and did you see, sleeping for at least the minimum 8 hours a night makes women lose weight!

13. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005

:_|

orn free tada told me how to do it a while ago, and i still can't get it to happen :(

back to the topic, i think another conference type meet should be on the agenda. the thing is that it won't happen for a while due to the next couple of meets being arranged already. the next official meet weekend is july 1st and 2nd.

i also get the feeling that even though i posted an essay i kind of skirted the subject and have missed something out. when it comes to me i'll post it up.

14. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Does that work on men, too? Sod the gym! I'm off for a kip! :D

Seriously, Dave. You don't owe us an appology, or anything else for that matter. You've put a lot of effort in to keep the chapter running.

As for the future. I like getting together, having meets, seeing movies and doing other stuff together. I love going to the events - hosting tables or just being there, alike. I like the things we do. I want to do more. I like the merchandising angle we've been talking about - how many times at the GMEX were we approached about the stuff that Chris and Jase brought with them? That would be a popular attraction.

With the charity stuff looking to go ahead, I think we have something to look forward to.

15. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    OK.hmmm let me get my mind in gear.

right. since day one you guys have helped me alot!! u put up with me thru some tough patches and i really thank you for that. I just want to say an extra thank you to Dave, Phil, Martin and Mark who have helped me alot in one way or another. i do have to appologise for the way i have acted - that is to everybody.

i came into this group with an idea of what i wanted. unfortunatly i tried to move it too quickly. i now see that Phil and i shared the same view - tho he was old enough to see the realistic side of the situation.

I want a t-shirt.

I think it is time we stopped bringing up the fact that everybody else gives us stick!! yes we know they do. but i for one am fed up of having to read about it. - leave it where it is!!

I am having trouble getting to meetings or charity events atm because of exams but i assure u i will do all i can to get to them after 9th June - last exam.
    I Passed my Driving Test yesterday so that might help matters!

I am fantasticly happy that i am appart of the Tribe!!

just one question to phil - do we get a vote or something on that logo???

16. Tay-Mar

Tay-Mar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Jon is spot on, we need to sit down, without distractions and get things back on track. This isn't about the people and the relationships within the group, this is about communicating ideas and explaining them to everyone, I've tried more than once to put into words what I want this group to be, some of you agreed some of you thought I'd gone off my trolley, well as you can see I haven't and I'm not.

Anyone remember this thread ? Perhaps a second read is in order.

17. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Is that the Midlands edict that states "Tim? must die!"? I best start running now :p

18. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    you'll keep til the birthday party? tim?.

see what i did there :D ?

19. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    David, it was the logo I unvieled in the private thread for you guys. It had a pretty unanimous response from everyone that saw it. I've now added the new name to it and I beleive Dave's response (who's seen it because of getting the t-shirts sorted for this weekend) was "fantabulous" :p

I would post it up here, unfortunately I'm not at home right now so I don't have access to the files (oops).

20. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    i can post them if you want phill? or do you want a new thread unveiling the masterpieces?

fantabulous is an understatement ;)

21. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    Yeah, you're welcome to post them. No problems.

22. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    :D

ok, here is the official logo for the SFFG? :

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/Doctor-Wiz/Avatars%20and%20Icons/back.jpg]

this has also been done as an avatar type logo:

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/Doctor-Wiz/Avatars%20and%20Icons/breast.jpg]

for the t-shirts that phill and angie are wearing on sunday for the big brum walk, the main logo is on the back of the shirt, and the smaller red logo is on the front left of the shirt. these logos will be appearing all over the place from now on (apart from the chapter logo on these boards as modelled by phill and myself :D )

fantabulous or what?

23. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    FANTABULOUS!

I think I'm gonna make a patch for my jacket this weekend of that smaller logo!
    Neat work anyone involved on these designs!

24. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Good luck for the walk you two, I wanted to do it in costume.. and the walk ... Any way now I know why i'm not loosing weight, i dont get enough sleep.

AS for a serious meeting..I prob wont be able to make it.. but You guys know what youre doing.. I think ;)

25. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    you know iwud have done the walk if i could have!!! IN COSTUME but exams are telling me what i can and cant do atm :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.