main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FFUK Gamers Thread: Power to the Player

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Feedback from the userbase I guess - they've removed expensive items that the userbase weren't using to reduce the cost to potential new customers. Makes sense to me, as I personally don't play any PS2 games on my PS3, so the entire backward compatibility hardwear is wasted.

oh, and it still isn't overpriced for what is it ;) no more than a Ferrari is "over-priced"

2. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    I thought The PS3 couldn't play PS2 game anyway. I honestly think Sony will have trouble with this one as for the same price you can get a 360 elite with more stuff. Oh well this is somewhat good news this cheaper version of the ps3 just might be what i need for time crisis

3. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    PS3 does play PS2 games. The 360 elite doesn't come with a HD playing device, which is the critical difference. Buying the HDDVD drive for the 360 puts it over the price of a PS3.

4. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    For some people, for most who still buy games machines because they want to play games on then it makes little difference. Don't be to eager to dismiss people who don't really care about that, otherwise the PS3 would of been more successful already. The point is, anyone who really wants a blu-ray/HD-DVD set up will be more than willing to spend a bit more for a better quality set up rather then the poorer quality offered by PS3/Xbox360. That is not to say a few people will of been pleased with the function, and myself might get the HD drive for the 360, but merely as a stop gap while I am low on cash. At the end of the day I just want my games machine to play good quality games, and this is something that the PS3 still seems to be lacking, which can't justify the price tag. Also I factor in the whole mess they have made of the thing, **** up after **** up from the company that changed games marketing, it just shocks me.

5. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    To cut production costs, Sony included a poor-man's emulator chip for the European/PAL PS3 which means a large amount of PS2 games wont play onit. And depsite that the price of the PS3 is still very much higher then its US and Japanese (superior) counterparts.
    So this new 40GB version avoids all the confusion and diappointment. I read today, however, that the 60GB model is being phased out and in its place will be an 80GB model, which may mean Sony hike the price back to £425 once all the 60GB models are sold.
    Sony have made a real mess of the PS3 and the main reason is they've tried to push Blu-Ray onto us more then anything else. I suspect things might be a bit different this time next year, but so far the 360 has a lot going for it (Bioshock, PGR4, Halo 3) and next month the Wii will have one of the best games ever released for it; Super Mario Galaxy ;)
    It's also interesting to note most game developers have said the 360 will be their default console, so the chances of multi-platform games taking advatange of the PS3's extra grunt may be slim.

6. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I treated myself to a Premium 360 today as I was feeling a little down and needed cheering up.

I bought Bio Shock, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Dead Rising for it.

The graphics on Bio and Raibow in particular are amazing and left me wide eyed in liquid wonderment!

And to think it was only just over 20 years ago that I was playing on the Atari 2600 with my brother. We controlled little square tanks and tried to shoot each other on a variety of maps.

Ahhhh, happy days!

Still, it does make you wonder what games will be like in another 20 years time. Will we look back on the likes of Bio Shock then as we look at those little vector tanks now?

My prediction is that games consoles will be so BIG and so EXPENSIVE in the future that only the 5 richest kings of Europe will be able to afford them. :)

7. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    Tice, where did you hear about the 360 becoming the default? I know up until the PS3 they were still using the PS2, hence some of the games never looked much better than the last gen. With the PS3 looking a failure it was looking confusing for multi platform games. I did expect the Wii to become the default due to massive sales figures. I also heard about the phase out of the 60gb model, which is annoying because I would be tempted by that at the £325 price tag. The 40gb with less features doesn't interest me. Also is another of the wonderful Sony turn arounds, after criticizing the 360 for having multiple hardware options and saying they wouldn't do that.

And Mr. W. Guy, nice to see you join the 360, I have never been one for the Rainbow six games on consoles, but Bioshock is a very good game. Dead Rising is enjoyable too, I like hacking at zombies while wearing stupid outfits.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Lol playing through Halo 3 again (on heroic this time) and I juts heard adam baldwin say 'gee it sure would be nice if we had some grenades dont ya think!?!?!'

Nice little reference there.

9. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    sonic the hedgehog confirmed on 'Smash bros. brawl' :D:D:D:D

10. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    Just one more charater to add and they'll have a perfect game

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You've reminded me of this comic. :D

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Currently Guild Wars and Haloing it up. Getting back into my games which is good. After tonight I should have a while off after doing three nights in a row so I can see me getting quite addicted.

13. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Is it true that the Wii is now officially the fastest selling Games Console of all time..? [face_devil]

14. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    I do believe it is, and stock is still hard to get hold of, and Nintendo have already announced they won't be able to meet demands over christmas.

15. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh go on then.....who?

16. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    sounds like a marketing scam to get people to buy early ;)

17. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    I would say that too if it wasn't for the fact that I know someone who is currently ringing around places trying to get hold of a machine.

Also sounds like a nice way to make some ebay profits!

18. clonetrooper1

Apr 12, 2005
    Well they're getting all these different characters in so why not the master chief, then Nintendo will have their Nintendo cast, snake from the Sony franchise and the master chief from the Microsoft franchise. Then you could have your own battle of the consoles (If you get me)

19. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    Pro Evo 7 is out today w00t but I might have to wait till tommorow to get it.

The first thing I do will be to find out how criminally under rated the scots players are.

Darren Fletcher and Barry Ferguson tend to be semi decent, then the rest are mince.

Now at least they should all be decent defenders.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I finally have my copy of The Orange Box. IGN.com say it's 'the best deal in videogame history'. :D

21. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    See, I've never gotten the whole "WOOOO" factor with Half Life and that.

It's a FPS, what more do you need?

Although one of the games has a bunch of LOST references in it, so that's kinda cool.

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've heard that the story was written by Stephen King. It also added a new weapons system, instead of having a weapon for each number it had weapon classes, allowing you to have more than one type of weapon. It's probably one of the best games I've played, I've played a lot of FPS games and some have been really bad and while Half Life is really old I still enjoy playing it.

23. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Portals has to be the funniest game of the year, and that song at the end. Genius! [face_laugh]

Song

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    WarHawk is currently floating my boat - something about it keeps me returning time and time again despite its simplicity.

Xbox360 has Halo3, which doesn't seem to have achieved exactly what all of the fans wanted, then Sony roll up with Warhawk, which plays on a lot of similar game-play without any hooha over its launch

25. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Me too, Warhawk is just too addictive and even after all these weeks of playing it an hour or two a day I still have so much fun on it! With that and Pro Evo at the moment i'm spending a lot of time gaming!

What's your PSN ID Malkie? I'll add you if you like :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.