main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Fifth Annual Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange! ~ Thanks for another great year!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ahh... the time of year to sing happy songs that get on your nerves after a few weeks, make a lot of food then worry about the weight you've gained, stress out about what gift to give your obscure relative you only see every other year. Holidays, while fun can also be stressful, but especially the myriad of holidays that fall between November and January. So why not at least get a gift you know you'll like? (Just make sure to act surprised when you open it!)

Welcome to the Fifth Annual Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange!

How To Participate:

Slightly new rules for this year!

Send me, mavjade, a PM with the things you would like in your fic-gift, something you don't want to see in your fic-gift, the main characters you would like and what Era(s) your fic-gift should be in.

**You are allowed to put more than three things that you want (unlike previous years) BUT the author is only required to use the first three things, so put your wishes in order of preference, same goes for characters.

Also in your PM should be what Era(s) you would like to write in.

~*~*~*~

Example PM:

I would like a story in Beyond with:

1. a stolen kiss
    2. an accident that almost happens
    3. a celebration

I do not want: anyone dying

Characters: Luke, Mara and Ben

I would like to write for Beyond or Saga

~*~*~*~

After I have received all the requests I will send you someones request and you will write for them. Your request will not necessarily be given to the person for whom you are writing, but it is possible that it will happen.

When sending your request, remember that this is not the Dare challenge and you aren't trying to stump someone or make them miserable, you are getting something you would like to read.

When you are writing, feel free to be as creative as you want, just remember to include at least the first three things for which your fic-gift recipient asked.

Deadlines/Posting:

Fic-Gift Requests: 5:00pm, board time, Thursday December 1st
    Requests will go out on the 1st or 2nd

Deadline for your fic-gift to be posted: 11:59pm board time, Tuesday January 3rd, though your fic-gift can be posted at any time.

-When you post your fic-gift please put in the title "Fic-gift for ___ " with their name where ___ is and post a link in this thread.

-If you have not posted your fic-gift two weeks (approximately) before it is due you will receive a PM from me reminding you of the due date. If you would not like to receive this reminder PM, let me know.

Other Important Info:

* It is very difficult once to trade fic-gift requests once they have all been sent out so please think carefully about what era's you agree to write in. If there is a character(s) you refuse to write, let me know but please do so sparingly.

* If your request has an Original Character in it, please provide a link to stories where someone can read your OC and get an idea about their character. If you are feeling particularly helpful, a character description and some character traits might be appreciated by the writer.

* If for some reason you find you will not be able to get your Fic-gift done by the deadline, please let me know as soon as possible so I can send the request to someone else. I don't want anyone to get left out!

* If you find yourself done with your fic-gift early and would be willing to write another fic-gift for someone who finds they are not able to write after all, let me know! I can always use pinch hitters!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask in the thread!

Happy Holidays!!
    [:D]

[image=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e272/mavjade/20070913-book-gift.jpg]

2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Master List

Before
    Water Trouble by earlybird-obi-wan for The1stJediPrincess
    It's Not Tomorrow Yet by The1stJediPrincess for LillyHobbitJedi

Saga
    A Sea of Change by Sara_Kenobi for Luna_Nightshade
    For an In-between Child by Luna_Nightshade for KELIA
    Lost by LillyHobbitJedi for Cade_Cryocharger
    Life's Disapointments by Cade_Cryocharger for earlybird-obi-wan

Beyond
    Everything by Ceillean for Jade_eyes
    Parental Assurances by Jade_eyes for Briannakin
    My Brother's Keeper by Jedi_Lover for Lexi_Lupin
    Fateful Intervention by LexiLupin for Ceillean
    Risk and Reward by Briannakin for Jedi_Lover
    Embers to Flames by Raphire for FelsGoddess
    Need to Remember by DaenaBenjen42 for Raphire
    Not More Ewoks! by FelsGoddess for MiralukaJedi
    Memories of the Past by MiralukaJedi for DaenaBenjen42

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Signing up as I always do... *searches for idea.*

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    What if you are assigned to write characters you are not familiar with. For example, if a person has not read the FotJ books they probably couldn't write B/V. Would that story be assigned to come one else or are we expected to do our best?

5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I do my best to pay attention to what people seem to know but that doesn't necessarily always work out.

Most people, it seems do some research and do their best, but if someone really feels they can't write what they are given I try to find someone who hasn't already gotten an awesome plot idea and attached to their request and are willing to switch to that.

The reason I say anything at all is I've had a few people in the past that keep wanting to switch and it's just kind of difficult to do and I feel bad for asking people to switch. :)

6. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    That is also why it is important that if you know ahead of time that there is something you're really nervous about writing--say, I don't know squat about anything past Legacy as you say--then make a note in the PM. It can be very helpful as we try to assign these requests to know ahead of time that you are soooo not into writing that. We, as mods, would like to think that we know you guys well enough to know if something is definitely not for you, but if there is some fanfic character that makes you want to cry--let us know. Of course, we'll need some flexibility since no system is perfect, but if there's something you're really scared of, feel free to let us know. We'll do our best to accommodate you with the fic-gift requests we have. This isn't the Dare challenge--this is the Holiday Fic-Gift exchange, and it is always just a really fun way to celebrate the season by giving little ficlet gifts.

7. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Oh I'm definitely in. Now I must come up with an idea and send it in.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm not gonna participate, as with NaNo, my muse has abandoned me. It's on strike, and no amount of negotiations seems to be luring it back. However, I do have more than a few ideas that I'd like to toss out there as simply a small challenge. Would one be able to do that without having to write a fic themselves (considering that my muse has flown South for the winter)?

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I finally have the time to take part in this. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do. :p This sounds great!

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I am totally doing this. The hardest part for me is figuring out what I want.

11. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    I'm in. Lol and Ceillean... My request will not be for mush. :p

12. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    If it takes me a few days to open your Request PM's, fear not, I will get to it, I just like to do them in batches it makes it easier for me.

Unfortunately not for this. :( I'm sorry your muse has abandoned you, I know we've all been there and feel your pain but it wouldn't be fair to someone to write a request and not get one in return. There are usually a few people who end up not getting to write their given request and I try and find others to write it so everyone gets something.
    But maybe someone who is feeling in the holiday spirit and looking for something to write will read this and send you a PM!? :)

14. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm totally participating, sounds like fun! :)

15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Reminder: Tomorrow is the last day to send your Fic-Gift requests!

16. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    I have sent mine in. [face_dancing]

17. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Raxacoricofallapatorius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm in. :)

I'd be willing to write more than just one fic. [:D]

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I had planned on matching fic-gifts tonight and sending them out tomorrow but my new job is making me sleepy (I'm used to working nights and I'm on days atm) and I have to get up early tomorrow. So because of these things I'm going to wait and do the matching tomorrow when I get home. So if anyone still hasn't sent in their request you have until noon board time tomorrow, 12/2.

I'll still send out the requests tomorrow it'll just be a little later in the evening.

EDIT: All of the request have now been sent out! If you sent yours in and haven't received one, let me know! :)

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Darn, for the first time since me and Anakinsfavorite came up with the predecessor of this tradition, I forgot to send my request in. Good luck to everyone! And if there are unfortunate leftovers, you know where to send them.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved this and what I had to write

Water trouble

A Fanfic gift for The1stJediPrincess

They would like: a story set in Before the Saga with:

1) An injury/illness during a mission.

2) A worried Master.

3) A happy ending.

No deaths please.

Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Siri

And posted on her birthday.

Happy birthday The1stJediPrincess

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Here's my submission!

A Sea of Change, Fic-gift for Luna

The requirements were:

They would like: a story in Saga with:

1. Any one of Padme's handmaidens as one of the main characters.
    2. A tie-in to any OT event.
    3. A conversation with another Senator.

I do not want: Palpatine to make an appearance.

This was a lot of fun, and I hope I did it right. lol. :p I hope you enjoy it, Luna!

22. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Sure did, SK!

I'm quite impressed that I managed to get it done this early. Wahoo!

For an In-Between Child, for KELIA.

She requested a story in Saga with:

1. a festive theme
    2. an unexpected admission
    3. one character breaking into song

I do not want: any mention of the Clone Wars

Characters: Yoda, Obi-Wan and anyone else you'd like

Had a ball, KELIA. And mav, if you have an undone request later, you can shoot it my way--I'm done with plenty of time to do one!

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow you guys, I'm impressed with the speed! :)

I've updated the Masterlist

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The challenge was definitely my speed and I really enjoyed writing this for Cade_Cryocharger!

The request was:

A story in Saga with...

1. Snow
    2. At least one OC
    3. Obi-Wan and perhaps, Siri?

Here it is: Lost

25. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Your Story is for: Jade_eyes

They would like:
    What I do not want: interruptions of any kind because I want is:

1. A wonderfully romantic evening

2. A beautiful setting, i.e., could be indoors or out.

3. A marriage proposal/love declaration - either will do.

Characters I want to see: L/M as a pairing or Kyp with an OC.

And here it is: Everything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.