main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Fighting in the Shadows - What's in a Name? challenge submission - Luke/Mara

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Fighting in the Shadows

He was not quite awake, but a loud thud brought him to full consciousness.

?Blasted, sand infested nerf herder!?

The sound of her voice rang through the night. Luke winced in the darkness. ?You okay?? He asked the question in spite of the instinct that told him to keep his mouth shut.

?Do I sound okay to you??

Well now, that was an interesting question. An answer either way might prove to be dangerous, but silence was no guarantee of safety. ?Uhm?no, not really.?

?You?re a big help, you know that??

Gathering his courage, Luke flicked on the light. Two angry green eyes met his in the sudden glare. He smiled, which was a mistake.

Her beautiful eyes narrowed dangerously. ?And what is so blasted funny, Skywalker??

?Nothing, nothing at all,? he assured her quickly, assuming an appropriately solemn expression. ?You?re just so beautiful that I couldn?t help but smile at you.?

?You want to rethink that, farmboy??

Luke reached out for her and pulled her down on the bed beside him. ?What?s the matter, Mara?? His voice was gentle and in spite of herself she felt the tension melting away. He seemed to have that effect on her a lot, she mused.

She sighed and relaxed into his embrace. ?I just don?t think I can do this,? she said quietly.

He brushed the fiery red hair back from her face. ?Do what, love??

?All of it,? she said and spread her arms wide. ?The endless round of feedings, the knowledge that I?m completely responsible for another human life, the fear that I?ll mess it up somehow and he?ll be ruined.? Their eyes met. ?Don?t you ever worry that we are completely and totally incapable of being good parents??

He hid his smile by nuzzling her neck. As always, any hint of vulnerability in Mara made him love her all the more; for it was so rarely that she let anything but absolute confidence be revealed. ?You?re a wonderful mother, Mara.?

Mara leaned back so that she could look at him.

She sighed in exasperation. ?I don?t want you to hand me mindless platitudes, Skywalker. I?m serious! What if we mess this up?? She grabbed his shoulders and shook him a little. ?I mean saving the galaxy is great, but if we screw up our own kid then what does the rest of it matter??

?I think you?re tired.?

She lightly smacked his ribs. ?That is the understatement of the century! Of course I?m tired. I?m exhausted! I?m so tired I?m running into things. Being an assassin is nothing compared to being at the whim of an eight pound baby boy who has the appetite of a gundark and the patience of a rancor?or a Skywalker,? she said with a sly look his way.

An injured expression settled on Luke?s face. ?Now that?s just unfair, Mara.? But his eyes twinkled with laughter, despite his words.

She shrugged. ?If you say so,? she said, clearly not convinced.

He cocked one blond eyebrow. ?And I suppose you are the embodiment of patience??

She sniffed disdainfully. ?I?m more patient than you, farmboy, and we both know it!?

?Really?? He imbued the single word with a world of doubt, his arms crossed over his chest.

A very nice chest?muscular, firm?

Mara shook her head and tried to clear her thoughts. Clearly, exhaustion was making her hallucinate or something. How could she be contemplating what had crossed her mind when it was the very thing that had led her to this situation in the first place?

?Really,? she nodded for emphasis. She tried very hard to ignore how adorable Luke looked with that dopey grin on his face.

He bowed his head. ?All right, you win,? he conceded. ?But Skywalkers do have a certain flair, for all of our impatience.? He winked at her. ?You have to admit it.?

The bright head tilted as she considered his words. ?Well?you?re right; you Skywalkers do have a certain intriguing quality.? She shot him a mischievous look. ?But it just may be those big blue eyes or that farmboy sincerity that turns a girl?s head.?

Snuggling up closer to Luke, Mara stared at the doorway. ?How long do you think he?ll sleep

2. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Hahaha I LOVE the ending!

That was really good, and cute. I love how Mara convinced herself that she must hallucinating. Haha.

Great Job.

3. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I loved it Vader! A perfect moment between Mara and Luke. You really captured their voices, and I enjoyed reading Mara's thoughts on becoming a mother.

Mara shook her head and tried to clear her thoughts. Clearly, exhaustion was making her hallucinate or something. How could she be contemplating what had crossed her mind when it was the very thing that had led her to this situation in the first place?

That bit was hysterical! [face_laugh]

?You have no clue how many times you?ve been in imminent danger of taking an unscheduled flight,? she said dryly. :D

She was too tired to form a coherent argument. ?I hope so, or that poor kid will be a basket case.? Mara yawned and turned in Luke?s arms, wrapping her arms around him. ?Of course, if Han Solo can do it, then we certainly can. And if he turns out weird, I?ll just blame you.?

That was a great piece of dialogue, too.

Good work, as usual, Vader! :)

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    ?You have no clue how many times you?ve been in imminent danger of taking an unscheduled flight,? she said dryly.

Love that line.

Great little peak into the life of Luke and Mara now they are parents. It was so cute but not overly sugary. Well done, well done indeed.

5. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004

With a thought, Luke turned off the lights, plunging the room in the shadows of the pre-dawn. There was a loud shriek and then laughter.

?Now that?s not fair, Skywalker,? Mara cried out in the darkness. ?You know the rules?no tickling!?

*snickers* You've got their relationship down all right! A very entertaining viggie!

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    She could feel the reassuring beat of Luke?s heart beneath her cheek and the quiet rumble of his laughter. ?He?s a Skywalker, what can I say?? He squeezed her close to him. ?Haven?t you been ready to toss me out a window more than once??

?You have no clue how many times you?ve been in imminent danger of taking an unscheduled flight,? she said dryly.

Loved that! You have really captured Luke and Mara, great work!

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    So hilarious. the interplay was so in-character.

8. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Vader!!! *squees* This viggie was too sweet for words! :eek: :D [:D] [face_love] *falls over into blissful diabetic coma* [face_laugh]

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Too cute for words! You've really gotten these two down. Loved it.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Great L/M Vig, Vader!!! [:D] I love it! Like Red Gold said, not too sugary - just right.

And she's right about those Skywalkers. ;)

11. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great job. I could just hear them saying that exact dialogue. :D

12. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    lol!! you did the title challenge justice!! great job! =D=

13. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Great viggie

14. MY-T-Chewbacca

MY-T-Chewbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2004
    That was great! Sweet without being TOO sweet. Loved it.

15. Lady-Jaina-Star

Lady-Jaina-Star Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2004
    I love it! You've got their relationship down right and Mara Jade's hilarious!

16. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    ***snort***

That is funny, and oddly familiar. I liked it, but I have to say that, huh?

:D :D :D

Just kidding!

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great job. I could see them saying all of it. I really liked the unscheduled flight line. :)

18. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    The sound of her voice rang through the night. Luke winced in the darkness. ?You okay?? He asked the question in spite of the instinct that told him to keep his mouth shut.

Haha. Typical. What kind of a response did he think he was going to get? Absolutely hilarious, Vader.

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Mirax_Jade Poor Mara, too distracted by Luke to think clearly! Thanks for reading.

LoneWolf89 Thanks! I can always picture these two quite clearly in my head for some reason. I love them together.

RedGold It seemed like a Mara thing to say. Thanks for reading.

flowerbee Thanks! I'm glad they seemed to be in character.

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Thanks! Glad you liked it.

DarthIshtar Thank you for reading. Now go write all that angst you didn't get to write last month! :D

ThePariah I didn't mean to knock you out, LOL! Glad you liked it, I had fun writing it.

AnakinsHeir Thank you!

rhonderoo Yeah, I have a soft spot for Skywalkers. Thank you for reading.

Jedi_2B Thank you! :D

SarkaVrae Thanks! I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate you reading it.

Chimpo_the_Sith Thanks!

MY-T-Chewbacca Thank you for reading.

VadersMistress You can say anything you want, but remember I have my ways...

RebelMom I love writing Mara, she's just so adorable in her crankiness! Thanks for reading.

Jedi Obi-Wan He should have known better, huh? Thanks for reading.

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    (I read this yesterday but got swamped at work and couldn't respond)

Loved it!! :D

Being an assassin is nothing compared to being at the whim of an eight pound baby boy who has the appetite of a gundark and the patience of a rancor?or a Skywalker,? she said with a sly look his way.

[face_laugh]

Nice to know that even Jedi Masters walk into walls in the sleep-deprived haze known as new motherhood.... [face_mischief]

Great vig, VaderLVR!

[edit: don't forget to send a link to the L/M index ;))

21. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I liked this. It was very funny, yet serious about Mara's fear of raising Ben properly. I loved the ending, I cold see it in my mind easily.

22. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Great job - spot-on characterisations. And that ending was so funny! Loved this exchange:

Gathering his courage, Luke flicked on the light. Two angry green eyes met his in the sudden glare. He smiled, which was a mistake.

Her beautiful eyes narrowed dangerously. ?And what is so blasted funny, Skywalker??

?Nothing, nothing at all,? he assured her quickly, assuming an appropriately solemn expression. ?You?re just so beautiful that I couldn?t help but smile at you.?

?You want to rethink that, farmboy??

I can sooo see this happening! Nice attempt at recovery on Luke's part, I thought... Even if Mara wasn't buying it. :p

Well done!

23. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    My favorite line was the one about "unscheduled flight." THat was hilarious! [face_laugh]

24. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hehe. :D Adorable and in-character. ;) What an enjoyable read. :D

25. MamaVader

MamaVader Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2004
    Jedi Trace Motherhood is the ultimate equal opportunity job, no favorites! Thanks for reading!

StarFighter5 Thank you! I thought these two should still have SOME fun!

KnightAragorn Well, he had to give it a try! Thank you so much for reading.

DreamOfKenobi Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

obaona Thank you, I'll take that as a great compliment since you write them so well.

And a big thank you to those who nommed this little viggie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.