main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I did a search nothing.

Index, nothing, just FFX-2.

This thread is dedicated to ALL the Final Fantasy.

10: part 2
    Tactics
    Upcoming 12 *HTR Spoilers please*

(if i'm just blind and there is such a thread, lock and direct me por favor)

So, without further ado...the first question is from me.

I just started from FF1, and I'm in a bind. My warrior is petrified, and I cant get level 6 spells to get Soft, to cure it, yet. And I cant seem to find any items to cure myself. Nobody sells any items that i've seen, unless I'm missing a town.

anybody help?

2. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    You need a gold needle.
    Sold in Elfheim.

3. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I know :(

I figured that out after I went the long way to Crescent Island to get the cure Stone spell. But thanks! :D

this game is fun! i have one crystal done! :D

4. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Wow! There was no thread in this forum dedicated to FF? :eek: What madness is this?!? :p

Anyways, overall FF is my favorite series of videogames, no question. I really can't wait until XII comes out. The screenshots look promising. :D

And now, since I can't sleep and I'm unbelievably bored, I will rank the series from my least favorite to my favorite.

13. FF III - This is the only FF that I've never played at all. Of course, it's also the only one that's never been released stateside. So, until I get to play it, it ranks last. :p

12. FF XI - I'm just not a fan of MMORPGs. I played it for a few hours and wasn't really impressed. Granted, I know it takes longer than that to really get into this type of game, but, whatever.

11. FF II - Don't get the wrong idea. this game may be ranked low on my list, but I still like it... a lot. In fact, the only FF I actually dislike is FF XI. Anyways, even though this game improved upon the original in just about every way, it still ranks lower simply because it's not THE original.

10. FF X-2 - Kind of a gimmicky game, but still pretty damn fun. It wasn't a game that was heavy on the drama and angst, and it didn't pretend to be. It had a great, fast-paced combat system and plenty of great cutscenes. I'll admit, I kind of got a kick out of all the Charlie's Angels type crap. :p

9. FF V - Honestly, what saves this game from being pretty dull IMO, is the awesome job system that got introduced in this one. Story wise and character wise, this one isn't all that great, but the job system was completely revolutionary, and that's what puts this one in this spot for me.

8. FF I - This is the game that started it all. And even though I'd like to rank this one higher just for that reason, I honestly can't say that I'd rather play this one over the newer, more refined FFs. Still, this was a truly groundbreaking game that still holds up nicely to this day.

7. FF VIII - This game is held back by only one thing, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, it's kind of a big thing. That whole junction system that practically everything regarding the gameplay was based around just did not work, IMO. I loved the story, the characters, the graphics, the music, that whole card mini-game and just about everything else. In fact, it's right up there near the top of the list in those regards, but that junction system just drags it down from true greatness.

6. FF IX - This one is just all around solid. It doesn't do any one thing particularly better than any of the other games, but it just does everything very well. The story isn't the best, but it's up there. Ditto for the music. Ditto for the graphics, characters, and gameplay as well. Just... solid.

5. FF VII - I know that I'm in the minority when I say that FF VII is a tad overrated, but I stand by it. I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything. Far, far from it. But still, a few things aren't as impressive as they could've been. With the exception of a few tracks, the music was sorta sub-par. Also, the story seemed a bit... thin in comparison to some of the other games. But on the plus side you have some truly memorable characters, very nice 3-D graphics and the very cool Materia system. All in all, this was an incredible game, just not my favorite.

4. FF IV - I can't really explain exactly why this one ranks so high in my book. It's just... fun. I guess what really stands out in this one is the characters. That, and the fact that the developers weren't afraid to kill them off. :p If you think about it, that's pretty realistic. I mean, if you're running around the world taking on all sorts of wicked monters and evil-doers, you'd think that, sometimes, **** would happen and one of your guys would get offed. Sure, some of the other games would kill off a character every now and again, but usually no more than one in any given game. I don't know, I'm getting off track. That's not why I like this game so much, (like I said, I'm not exactly sure why I like

5. Charlie81

Charlie81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    My favorite is FF8, but i only played 8 and 10, lol.
    I installed 7 on my old pc but it crashed in a certain village. so i quit.

6. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    Is there a site for FF12 ? ? ? ? ? ? & thats tradiational style PS2 game play right nothing online

7. Charlie81

Charlie81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    you can find a million screens at rpgfan.com

8. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    FFXII will be like FFX in regards to offline play only

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Perhaps I should be evil and redirect this thread to the FF thread in YJCC? ;)

I <3 Final Fantasy, even 11, even though that caused me a lot of grief. I hate it now, but I loved it then.

10. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I thought about that...but that thread, it just isn't as active. :(

i figured here it'll be easier to post, the forum moves slower and will more likely be seen

11. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I'm quite weird in that my favourite is IX and my least favourite X and VII. Hmph, each to their own I guess.

12. pgoodyea

pgoodyea Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2004
    My first ever RPG was KOTOR and I loved it. Before, KOTOR I didn't really know what an RPG game was, but only assumed that it was a game that took 100 hrs to play and consumed your life. However, my love of SW and the Xbox convinced me to try KOTOR. Much to my own surprise, I enjoyed the game and was hooked on the whole RPG thing. I had never really played a game before where you had so much control. Besides the amount of freedom, it was really the great story and characters that kept me coming back night after night.

After I finished the game I went on a search for other RPGs for the Xbox, which I soon realized didn't exist. I was left with only KOTOR, which I gladly played through multiple times. Then came Fable, which was completely different, but still engaging. A little short and weak on the story side, but still quite an accomplishment. What was next for the Xbox? KOTOR II and Jade Empire, which wouldn't be out for many months.

I soon realized that if you like RPGS, the PS2 is the machine to have. I didn't really know that much about the FF series, except for the fact that the games are considered some of the best RPGs ever created. So during the fall of '04 I picked up one of those slim PS2s just so I could play FFX.

What an amazing game. I was immediately hooked and played for about 100hrs before I finally decided to just beat the game and move on. In all that time I still was never able to get Titus' ultimate weapon. I couldn't get 0:00 in that ***** Chocobo race!

Anyways, I kind of noticed that all RPGS are basically always compared to FFVII. That it was the one that started it all. Well, I am still playing the game now and I think it is amazing. It was a little hard at first to get used to the stumpy looking characters and motionless camera and backgrounds, but it is actually quite nice to look at. The battle system is great with the whole materia on the weapons and armor thing, but I probably prefer the battle system in FFX. You have more of an option to determine your characters skills and abilities in FFX.

The story in FFVII is great so far. I like all the characters a lot. I really do believe that the best single player games are determined by the quality of their stories.

After I finish FFVII I am going to try out Xenosaga I and then return to Spira in FFX-2. I can't wait for FFXII. From the trailers to early impressions the game looks amazing. No more random encounters!!!

13. pgoodyea

Mar 5, 2004
    Are FFVIII and FFIX worth playing or are they just more of the same? I have heard mixed reviews on both games, a kind of love it or hate it type of thing.

14. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    They took off random encounters in FF12 ?

15. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    FFVIII is great! i love it!

FFIX i've started, and it's pretty fun. but, i got stuck, then finals started and i havent started up again. :p this was last December. :p

So, I figured since i bougth Chronicles the other day so i could play Chrono Trigger, that i'd start with one.

I have all the final fantasies except for the American 3...which i think is the Japanese 6. I dont know how it works :p

and, i gave up on 11 cause i didnt wanna pay anymore, plus, i wasn't getting anywhere. if you are looking at 11, be sure you:

1) have time
    2) have money
    3) and are willing to dedicate numerous hours to level up

edit: far as FFXII news, im in the dark, havent had a chance to research it. i just know it's due out in Japan this summer.

16. pgoodyea

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes, I have read that the random encounters have been removed from the game. However, the premise is still basically the same, b/c most of the time the enemy chases you until a battle begins. I guess we will have to wait and see how it works.

17. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    7 best period

18. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I started with 7 when a friend let me barrow it, then I was hooked form there.

8 was good, but the junction system had a few problems.

9 was a little strange at first, but still worth the playing.

and since I don't own a ps2, I got 5 & 6, 6 has been very adictive so far.

I really need to get a ps2. :(

Evil.

19. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    yes, you do wiggins.

cause Alex, the main character in FFXII, she is hawt [face_love]

(i think her name is Alex)

20. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm hoping to get the new slim ps2 once my boss buys another house.

Evil.

21. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I am quite the happy FF fan right now. I finally got Tidus's ultimate weapon last night after trying since the game came out!! YAY!!! I never have to play the evil chocobo race again.

22. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    i spent 3 hours straight on that damned chocobo race...never got it...quit :(

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My fists still clench in frustration at the mention of chocobos(both in FFVII and FFX).

24. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Final Fantasy VII was the game that started me playing video games almost full-time. Before that I'd been a half-hearted gamer at best; I'd play a few things on Genesis and Nintendo, but mostly I did other things with my time (like schoolwork :D). Final Fantasy VII was the first game that I was actually emotionally invested in, though; I cried when Aeris died (give me a break, I was ten), I pitied Cloud, I hated Sephiroth (although now that I've thought about the storyline more I pity him too), and on the whole I felt connected to FF7's world. After that game, I went on to become the geek I am now. As one of my friends puts it, "Final Fantasy 7 was the game that turned Greg's life upside down." That's how he introduces the game to all of his friends.

None of the other Final Fantasy games hold as much interest for me as 7, but I like all of them a lot anyway (except for IX). VIII was a compelling storyline, with much better graphics and a new fighting system that was interesting. IX was ... well ... the storyline was way too silly for me (as well as the Vivi guy who looked exactly like the character from He-man), and the game itself didn't get fun until around the 3rd disc, so I don't like it as much as the others. X was probably my favorite after 7, with great characters, great music, great graphics and great almost everything. My only problem with it was the amazingly far-fetched storyline (go to http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-11-05 for a viewpoint I happen to agree with :p). XI is good, not able to pay for it atm though so not playing it now. I haven't played the ones before VII, so I can't really speak for them.

25. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I like IV the best. VI is also very awesome.
    I also think the new dungeons in FFI are awesome.