main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    XVI will be a game I put on my long-distance radar. Just like XV before it; I don't plan on getting it on Day 1. I could wait up to a year for its Super Royal Ultra Edition to come out with all of the DLC bells and whistles that are likely to be released shortly afterwards. I bought the Royal Edition of XV for about $30 new.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm halfway through the book Final Fantasy XV: Dawn of the Future - that finishes the story started as anime and CG animation before continuing as a game, with a flashback retro game too, so why not? - and it's shaping up as one of the best illustrations of a total collapse of corporate confidence going.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm going to play 6 for the Super Nintendo. I've never played it but heard it's great.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m really hoping 16 isn’t broken like 15. Just give us the complete game please. I lost the will to continue after Ep Ignis which I didn’t even finish.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    It’s fantastic. Would be over the moon if they ever decided to Remake it on current day technology.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm more into games like Skyrim but I really enjoyed FF7.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I would settle for one (1) good port for Switch.

Yeah, a friend of mine is like that. Loves big, sprawling RPGs, but can’t stand JRPGs, especially turn-based ones. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

christophero30 likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's such a good book. I cannot emphasise how much I enjoyed it... and how you're point could not be truer.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If they put out a port for Switch it would probably be that rather unpleasant looking mobile version, for some reason they’re really cagey about letting old FFs look old in a way they aren’t with other properties.

The GBA version remains the best legal* way to play the game, IMO. You take a slight hit on the soundtrack fidelity because of an inferior sound chip, but the other improvements to translation and bonus content more than make up for it.

*Of course, illegally there’s a very good ROM hack of the SNES version that gives you the best of all possible worlds and adds a run button, which is completely within the realm of what SE could do in a port, but noooooo...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reasons for optimism:
    - The last FF game was the remake of VII
    - It's by the team that did FFXIV

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ... Um, the first FFXIV, which was an unmitigated disaster, or A Realm Reborn? Those were different teams. :p

Edit: The latter, it seems. So, okay, yes, cause for optimism.

PymParticles and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, the ones who put out the fire.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Have now finished Dawn of the Future.

That SE decided to lose all confidence in the entire project despite completing one of the four DLCs is baffling because what is laid out here? Would have been a conclusion capable of positively changing the perception of FFXV.

What is done with Ardyn is particularly smart and effective, as they do not take the easy road and simply turn the character good. Indeed Ardyn's initial response to the revelation of Bahamut's plan is a very in-character: And the problem is?

At the same time, there are sequences described in prose that could have made for very effective and epic gameplay sequences.

Alas, we're never getting them.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well I suppose they might revisit it for an anniversary but who knows.

It translates exceedingly well into video game action. It really does. Episode Lunafreya and Noctis especially.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just purchased FFXII: The Zodiac Age for the Switch. Is it a good port? I've never played it. Do we hunt down Ted Cruz in the game?

solojones likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Dunno about the port but it is a quality remaster and very different to the original version.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s an excellent port, I didn’t notice any major differences between it and the other versions of The Zodiac Age.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm going to play the PS4 version first, and then the Switch port at some point.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ps4 may have a graphical edge over the Switch but they should play identically.

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004

Square Enix drops a TWEWY trailer for the anime AND new game.

solojones likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's SE, but is that Final Fantasy?

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorta? They're both in Kingdom Hearts :p

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup; bingo.

In a Sleeping World, no less, for sleep and death naturally are close to each other, apparently.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, so the unifying element for inclusion in this thread is the franchise contains one or more dedicated rhythm games.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So I got an email from Square Enix that I could get Final Fantasy XI "Ultimate Edition" for $6. That's all well and good, but my question is, what's the point? You still have to pay for the monthly subscription fees, right? If you're into the MMORPGs - especially Final Fantasy - why bother with XI when XIV is the more modern game with better graphics and gameplay? I'd consider getting into XI if it wasn't for the subscription fees. I played it for awhile on a 30-day trial years ago.