main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Everyone crying about the font all over the place and here I am thinking it’s pretty dope looking.

I own all the PS1 specials and have played them all except FF5 but the only one I ever beat was FF6.

Are these coming to PS5?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Currently they’re only talking about PC and mobile releases.

3. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I went back to FFXV the other day to finish up the side quests and dungeons I skipped over. The ability to switch between characters in combat has saved my butt on several occasions, especially during the harder dungeons--- Ignis and Prompto are my dudes. I was very pleased to learn that there were levels beneath the dungeons filled with daemons, as well. They provide a bit of a challenge, but nothing that makes me want to throw my controller at the wall...yet. (Some of these areas are level 99, and I am only a level 75, so I guess I will have to grind and manifest my way through whatever crap is thrown at me)

I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. For me, they stuck the landing on making this feel like a road trip with your friends. Of course, there are things I wish they had done differently, but overall, I am very satisfied with the game. Just give me FFXVI at this point.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I had completed the game along with the DLC expansions, but I know there are other areas I haven't gotten to yet. The game has a fair amount of replayability; but tbh I haven't gotten back into it in about a year or so.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    It took me a while to talk myself into going back (I had not picked it up since 2018)--- mostly because I knew that I would have to relearn some of the controls. Luckily, the learning process did not last too long and I was able to steady into a nice groove.

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    It's been 30 years since Final Fantasy IV came out on the Super Famicom first in Japan in July and then later in the year in 1991 for the Super NES. It was such an important game for me at the time I received it at Christmas 1991 (an important time in my life) after I had finished Final Fantasy on the NES. I really connected with the story of the characters like Rydia and Cecil; it was the most emotional and cinematic video game I had played up to that point and a big leap over the NES game.

RETROSPECTIVE: Contains some major story spoilers:

RETROSPECTIVE: Major story spoilers from 12:25 to 21:45

christophero30 likes this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I may try Final Fantasy Tactics today.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  8. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    [​IMG]
    30 years since Final Fantasy IV was released

Additionally, today also marks the 20 years since Final Fantasy X was released for the first time in Japan (it’s the 19th in Japan now), which to me is the last great Final Fantasy game released. It introduced the world to Tidus, the lovable dorky jock, and the spiritual successor to Rydia (like the monster Summoners in the previous FF games such as IX with
    Eiko and Garnet
    ) named Yuna. It had a really cool world and colorful graphics and great music (as did IV and most of the FF games of the era), as well as a personal story that utilized voice acting for the series’ first time.

[​IMG]

RETROSPECTIVE: contains story spoilers

See also: Final Fantasy Union - 7 Obscure Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Final Fantasy X (video)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Could not get into FFX

I have it on the switch (had it on PS too) and I made sure it was the only game I had available to me when I last went to Poland with work. I've made it as far as Macalania Woods (had to look it up) but the game is just dull and Wakka is beyond annoying.

I spent most of my week in Poland reading and walking around Wroclaw taking in the sights than in my room eating room service and playing FFX.

It's the same with FFVIII, I got as far as one of the academies where you take on Cerberus and it just felt like a slog.

I'm hoping FFXVI is an improvement as FFXV was garbage

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Posted a few days ago in honor of the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy X, a talented graphic artist created a video featuring some of the lands, characters, and fiends from the game in Unreal Engine 5.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    7 is still king foe me.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  12. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm just going to helicopter into this thread real quick to say the same thing I've been telling everyone in my personal ambit for the last 15+ years:

They should make Final Fantasy X-0, where you play as Braska, Jecht, and Auron. It was an awesome idea when I first thought of it back in 2005; now that the FF brand desperately needs to be revitalized and this would be an easy and surefire way to draw interest back into the series, it's downright criminal that they don't do it.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think they’ve already revitalized the brand by way of leveraging nostalgia for an older game in the series, actually.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Don't really care about Braska and Jecht; but if Auron is a playable character I'd absolutely buy it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    RE: Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters have been out for a few days now for FF I through III.

Haven't played these yet but there's a lot of game balance and difficulty changes, control changes, and the music rearrangements I've heard are good if not great though there's been only a couple where I thought the melody was subdued a bit too much.

At least on the PC you can use fan mods to fix the typeface from the small narrow typeface to either the full-width HD Japanese one or a retro classic pixel font that matches the games' graphical style for a consistent look.

IGN - Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters: Fans Come Up With Multiple Ways to Fix that Gross Font
    That's much better...

Hopefully Square Enix officially updates the games typeface for player choice and for when they bring these to consoles. Even reusing the Final Fantasy X HD Remaster font would be an improvement.

The mobile Final Fantasy Dimensions font was legible if too plain. That game is recommended to anyone who really enjoys Final Fantasy III and V with the scaled back importance of story but with the more gameplay customization of the jobs system and more game difficulty that Matrix Software games are known for. It also has great music. It was released ~10 years ago but is still being updated by Square Enix (I just got a game update today with bug fixes), maybe they'll port and pixel remaster it too some day.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Stranger in Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins Demo 2

So, here we go, we're off to kill.... Chaos. Yeah, that's right. Chaos. Chaos is here. We have to kill Chaos.

[​IMG]

Well, the game really, really wants to be but let's just say the writing needs a massive improvement over the next six months, as do the, er, "characters", or rather the walking stereotypes - in nature and visuals - that we get here.

Despite that, this is a half-decent demo. It does have some rather stupid stuff in it, like multi-level engagements that awful - if you're going to have a fight, just have a clearly indicated arena so you don't have to worry about climbing up and down, especially when there's no jump button.

If you like fighting games that require you to lock on to individual enemies, I don't, you'll likely enjoy this demo. Even with not being a fan of it, I was able to use it. And the system? It is Final Fantasy pays homage to God of War, the death moves are pure Kratos. They're fun but you'll be looking at them and thinking they look awfully familar and that's because they are. Familar or not, some moves never get old, like Hulk slamming Loki style smashing a giant crawer into the ground.

One total disaster is magic as it requires manual aiming, while selecting from a radial menu, while holding the button down - it's far, far too fiddly and it practically prevented me doing stuff with magic, which is a shame. Similarly the techniques are overly complicated being stuff like R1, R1, R2 - so again, something that prevented me using it. At least on this initial run, maybe it'll make sense on a second go.

Another weakness is there's sometimes too much going on at times, with the visual clutter distracting from the enemy you have locked on.

The job system is potentially good, but the game explains it badly and some of its descriptions are very weird - it gives a sense of a club as this major weapon, you equip it and it's this tiny thing.

It has the Souls-style - save / access a crystal and all enemies respawn. Initially, that seems crap then you work out that you can just revive and kill your enemies infinitely, that powers up the characters and you do see that difference when you're playing. The combat is fun enough that you would be inclined to do this.

Graphically, it looks nice enough - on the second mission in the wetlands there's a neat weather switching element and a good sense of light and shadow when you're on the sunlight setting. Soundtrack? Pretty forgettable.

Should you give this a go? If you skip or endure the cutscenes and can put up with this macho bunch of morons, there is some fun to be had here. But it does need a lot of work between now and March 2022.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone planning on buying this next week?

heels1785 likes this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    heels1785 and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I see this is book 2 of 5 in a series of books. Did you get the 1st one @Ahsoka's Tano?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So how much of a virtual kicking must they have gotten?

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Nah. It's really just something I'd keep on my radar; maybe put it in my Amazon Prime "wish list".

22. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    No idea, but im returning my copy of intergrade now.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're playing on PC that might be wise, sounds like the PC version is a mess.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I can upgrade to PS5 edition? Nice!

Glad I didn’t pay for it.

25. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    No i bought PS5 intergrade on black friday but didn't open it in case xmas sale was better.

Now i can just upgrade my ps plus version for free and get yuffie dlc cheaper.

Ahsoka's Tano and Jedi Ben like this.