main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks @Ramza ! I do recall the Fabula Nova Crystalis name now that you mention it, I forgot that was the umbrella that all those titles fell under. I actually kind of liked what I played of XIII, just not as much as I liked X or XII, so I lost interest, and then by the time I thought about revisiting it to try to finish it I think both sequels had come out and all the other stuff just had me too confused.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember when they announced the whole Fabula etc. project. XIII, Versus and... I think it was called Agito? Which eventually became Type-0, was on two PSP game discs, then was ported to PS4 and then finally translated to English. Talk about a long history. And Versus elements might still be popping up here and there.

KH3 might have absorbed Versus' story, maybe. Its hard to tell what Nomura is thinking. Well, you know there's no plan though, SE is just going to keep throwing more and more crazy plot ideas onto the Kingdom Hearts storyline.

And FF7R has a new trailer out (I think its new? It has the April release date), where most importantly we finally see Cloud in a dress. And oh, it is hilarious. (Sorry its the IGN link, its just convenient for me. Not sure the English Square Enix channel has it up yet.)

Nice to see the rest of the Shinra executives too, they even kept Palmer. And yay, Reeve! Looks like they're building up his character earlier too. And I think this is the first trailer with Red XIII? No idea about the new blond guy (new rival/enemy? Or I just forgot someone from the original?). Oh, this is going to be epic.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Omg. I need this game now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone who's only played about an hour of FFVII, this looks fantastic.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    wait, what??

How can you have only played an hour of FF7??

6. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Final Fantasy series is one of many holes in my gaming history. Got about halfway through VI on my iPhone on a long road trip/vacation, dabbled in VII (I think I got stuck fighting... houses? Does that sound right?), never touched VIII or IX, beat X using an Action Replay cheat disc when I was ten or eleven, never touched XI, played eight-ten hours of XII, got close to the end of XIII but gave up after the massive difficulty spike, never touched XIV, and XV is my favorite in the series as it's the only one I've legitimately beaten (and I also love it). :D

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, there's a house style enemy in Midgar slums

Don't worry too much about VIII (though MANY will disagree) but you definitely need to play VII and IX

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bartandalus II?

9. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I’m not sure. I don’t even think it was a boss, but an enemy rush leading up to a boss that finally did me in, where I just put down the controller and moved on, accepting the fact that my time with the game had ended.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me the other day with Bravely Default (which, as I understand it, is basically a Final Fantasy game). Just with a lot more narrative bull **** that I had no intention of putting up with. It’s probably the worst late game narrative thread that I’ve ever seen. Ever.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That BD sequence, if it’s the one I think it is, broke a lot of people. I’d probably give up at that point if I had played it.

VII and IX don’t have any especially egregious things going on at the endgame. VIII does, to the point that I’m always tempted to say it’s got “the worst final dungeon in the series” but I played III, I know that’s a lie. [face_beatup]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The BD2 fight in FF13 is a bastard due to:
    - He's a lot harder
    - Levelling up is limited
    - You have to get Imperil on him at all times
    - Even if you pull that off your chances are still way, way low.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I was talking about Bravely Default. More specifically,
    there's a multi-hour time loop,
    which is such a fantastically bad idea on paper you'd kind of have to admire the guts to go for it... except in practice it also turned out how anybody would have guessed.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I've got to get around to Bravely Default someday. That's on my list of games to play just above 4 Heroes of Light, which I think I have a copy somewhere. Maybe.

IX's final boss was out of nowhere. A good fight but still.

Was it me or did some of XIII's later boss fights take half an hour? Or it might have just been my own serious lack of skill. XIII's restrictions were a serious knock against it. I think it was something like you literally can not level up however much you want, not until you're like 80% through the main story, then you can finally level grind.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So... they shifted it to match the new release date. Makes sense.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You know, part of me keeps deluding myself in the notion that once FF7: Remake comes out, it'll be the only game I care about over the course of the year.

Then SE drops another one and I'm back to reality.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    FatBurt likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Kweh-mehameha.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That opening movie.... ****ing awesome.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Of course now I've succumbed to one of my guilty pleasures; watching Youtube reactions of the recent video.

20. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    So I'm like...6 ish hours into FF15. So far not buying it seems the right choice. The overarching world plot seems really good at start of chap 3, the graphics are mindnumbingly pretty and droolworthy even on a 1080.

Noctis and his friends have the personality of a shoe. And they seem to be kind of...flippant? Even with a few supposedly emotional scenes, no one seems to care that their nation got blown up and taken over? Like it kind of seems like a minor inconvenience to their “The Hangover” bromigo car ride to them? They just seem to not care.

Also someone tell me i get to run faster later and with more stamina. Cause like man it seems they wanted to make a mix of DMC and Assassins Creed but then remembered they were working on a FF game and forgot that in AC fast travel doesn't suck and you can actually run instead of walk slightly faster and then fall over in exhaustion.

FatBurt likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  23. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Just got to altissia, my god its gorgeous. I wanna vacation there.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Please no spoilers. I'm going to DL it today but don't plan on playing it until I'm through with LIS 2.

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It lasts about 90mins but gives a good overview on how the game will play.

It's a bit FFXV in style but they've fixed the crappy bits of FFXV I don't like

I'm likely to be buying this game off the back of the demo

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.