main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Did you know that originally Arazlam signing his full name at the end was supposed to be a big reveal? They, uh, kind of lost that in the new version. :p

Also I still can’t get over the fact that FFXIV of all things confirmed the final cutscene wasn’t a dream.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I beat FFVIIR about a week ago. It's the first FF game I've played all the way through. It was...kind of dumb but enjoyable I guess. All the villains are literal cartoon characters except for the guy with the long hair who just sounded stoned the whole entire time. I do have some questions and then a comment:

1. How is Clod able to walk around places with a 12 ft long sword strapped to his back? Wouldn't he be in tremendous pain the whole entire time? How does he sit on chairs and benches?
    2. What happened to Barret's arm? How is he able to perform day to day tasks without accidentally murdering or committing acts of vandalism with a dangerous lethal weapon attached to his dominant hand?
    3. Why does the president of Detroit look like a blonde Walt Disney? Was that intentional?
    4. How is Tiffa able to successfully kick giant mechanical machines to death without causing multiple fractures and bone breaks to her legs?

I do appreciate how at the end of the game, a young David Bowie is now president of Detroit.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    4 is why they tell you not to skip leg day, obviously.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You already kind of answered it. He removes the u in his name and the sword goes there.
    His dominant hand is actually his left foot. There's a deleted scene that shows him eating a bowl of soup and drinking a cup of coffee without spilling a drop.
    There's a popular fan theory on reddit that covers this question in great detail. I'd recommend searching it out there.
    She uses the extra f in her name for protection from fractures.

FatBurt likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I definitely didn't assume that post-credits scene was a dream... How did they confirm it in XIV? Are they connected?

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    There was kind of always a discussion of whether or not Orran
    really saw Ramza and Alma or if it was just an ambiguous thing
    but I guess there's some material in XIV that clears up that yes, since they cameo in such-and-such cutscene they did make it.

As for the connection, Arazlam is a major NPC in a series of quests in FFXIV because apparently that MMO takes place in his timeframe. To which I say "Sure, I guess." Also he literally named his kids Ramza and Alma which is, like, plus infinity history geek points.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That's awesome that he named them that.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The enemies in FFVII:Remake in hard mode are pretty unforgiving. Unlike the original game, there's a level cap at 50, so after leveling up the weapons your best bet is manipulating the Materia in the weapons and accessories. With the Chapter Select, you don't have to play through the entire game again; just select which part of the game you want to replay.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You, er, don't really get this video game concept, do you?

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah very cool. I thought it was clear those characters were actually alive yeah. I thought you meant the sad post credits scene.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Now then, @Ramza especially but anyone really... Are Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1 and 2 worth it? Because I could play them on my DS and 2DS respectively.

Edit: Oh btw FFVIIR was ****ing awesome.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Kingdom Hearts: Union X: Dark Road starts today!

And of course we have, to our surprise, a rhythm Kingdom Hearts game coming in 2020!...

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Mastery.

Yes.

KH: MoM.

As in, the Master of Masters.

The trailer was one moment of oh my, oh carp, oh damn.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Complicated question, honestly, I'll break it up on mechanics and plot.

Mechanically: I think A2 is solid. Advance... I dunno, some people swear by Advance, possibly due to nostalgia, but I found it infuriating. There are these judges that periodically outlaw actions based on the in-game calendar, which sounds like it would add complexity but in practice means you're usually just trying to game the map until you get some laws you can cope with. The enemies in story missions basically cheat by having units that can just ignore these laws completely or "weirdly" only ever get yellow cards, never red (oh yes, it's like football, because... well, we'll get to that). A2 rightly tosses this for a reward system. Beyond that they both add some cool ideas to the formula: you learn skills from equipment, like in FFIX; there are different races, which have unique class trees; you get to customize the map by placing locations as you see fit, which can effect random encounter spawns; and there's a ****ton of side content.

Now, plotwise the broad consensus is that Advance is better, but these people are right for the wrong reasons because both games' plots suck ass and Advance just sucks a bit less. To elaborate without spoilers: the theme in both games is that escapism is unhealthy. This is... well, okay, it's already a moral you could literally argue for centuries about, but because the plots are presented literally the central metaphor completely collapses right out of the gate. There's a minor meme that the main character of FFTA is a monster... because he is, he willfully annihilates sentient beings because he postulates that his assumption that his preexisting reality is the correct reality overrides evidence to the contrary (no, seriously, that is the text, this is "fine" because since the magical world has evidence of being the product of multiple characters' desires it must be a dream, hence the football thing, aren't we ****ing clever. EXCEPT IT ISN'T. ALSO NO ONE IN THE GAME IS A FOOTBALL FAN.). To "fix" this, in FFTA2 the protagonist is himself engaging in the escapism... which owing to the identification of protagonist action with correct action causes the moral to collapse alongside the central metaphor, which never stood a chance once the gameworld had to appear more than once. We're basically left with two sets of flaming wreckage and arguing that the one burned out husk is a bit less burned out, so it's the good one. I obviously don't have a lot of patience for that.

I'm just... I'm just not a big fan. For me, Tactics Ogre is the only other game that really stands in the lineage of FFT proper with its combination of great mechanics and a good story, and these are just weird little tactical RPGs that tie in to FFXII the way bad self insert fan fiction would. But some people really like them and can reminisce at length about salad days playing FFTA at the bus stop or whatever.

In conclusion:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    solojones and Point Given like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for the detailed response! Exactly as I expected.

I will probably look at Tactics Ogre instead.

BTW have you played Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark? I actually played that before FFT and it turns out that's heavily influenced by FFT both in gameplay and story. I liked it.

Ramza likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I have not, but that sounds up my alley, plus apparently it's on Switch! I'll check that out for sure then.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah you should! I played it on Switch. I would love to hear your thoughts on it if you do play it. I don't know anyone else who has.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean it's a Square Enix property so...

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Finally, a version of TWEwY aimed squarely at me, apparently the only person in the world that didn't really like playing it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey he's from Kingdom Hearts.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That was the first place where I met Neku too.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I have Final Fantasy Advance but have yet to play it. I've heard it's great, at least the ps version.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Just here to report that I'm playing the original Final Fantasy VII now on Switch. I'm past Midgard and out into the open world. Very excited to find out more about the story of this game, since all I know is what I've gleaned from Advent Children and FFVIIR.

Ahsoka's Tano and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Is it hard going from new graphics to old and reading txt? Great game.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    AC and the Remake game barely touched the surface of what you learn from the open world after leaving Midgar. And it's likely the next installment of the Remake may go in an entirely new direction than what's experienced in the original; considering what we know from the ending of the first installment.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I was playing the new Kingdom Hearts Union X Dark Road game... but now its updating behind Japan, as of Chapter Two!

So that's maddening.

The reason?

Chapter Two of Dark Road includes a spoiler for the main Union X game, because Union X is behind outside of Japan.