main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

finally went to see LOTR yesterday evening...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by quillan, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Next year looks like an even better deal. Can somebody please promise me whether or not Spiderman is going to be any good?

2. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    That's not nice, TTG... poor dude..

3. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    No, Spiderman's not going to be good...it's going to be wicked. Or I'll cry.

EDIT: > That's not nice, TTG... poor dude..

Aw, no...I suggested Du cuz it was the only thing sorter than Dude. And he's into brevity. And probably whips and ropes but he doesn't know us well enough to say yet..

4. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I just couldn't find LOTR redeeming because it just wasn't interesting or exciting. That's unforgivable.

TPM had its flaws and I really can't be objective because I do love it unconditionally, but many bits are fast-paced, exciting and breath-taking.

The opening scenes on Naboo. The escape from Naboo. The weirdness of Watto. The pod race. The final battles...

Yeah, yeah. I can live without Shmi pouring blue milk and the endless tedious exposition on Tatooine. I can do without Ric Olie's meaningless lines and I can live without the overly-complicated set-up for the end battle ( FOR WHYYYYYY???!?!?!?!?? ) ...

... but, still better than LOTR! :p

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Who was saying what about not comparing them?

oh yeah! thats right! it was me....

6. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    Bashing LOTR around here is like chasing people round with a piece of twig you've poked in *******

... you annoy the hell out of everyone but get a strange kick out of doing it nonetheless! :p

7. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    ED: backing down some more... deep breaths

8. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    No swearing.

Same as the whole of the JC.

9. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    Let me tell you something, bendeco.
    You pull any your crazy **** with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you and stick it up your ass and pull the ******* trigger til it goes "click".

10. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    "I have no idea what that means, sir, but it sounds pretty negative to me."

11. DARK_SCORE

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah, OA, that was my favourite Gandalf quote too. [face_laugh]

12. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    You said it, man. Nobody ***** with the Jesus

Ask the Dude about the quotes.

Tis rectified a la the request of Alphadude.

13. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    I don't think most of the quotes from that film are appropriate to be posted here.

chet, you know the deal when it comes to engrypted curses.

just doin ma job.

14. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Eh?

Good job I didn't post what I was gonna further up then! ;)

15. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    I can't allow it if it's blatantly obvious.

16. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Just realised your sig SAm. It had been bugging me for ages. Kept thinking it was Joker in the Arkham Asylum graphic novel. Penny finally dropped. :)

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The-Dude

Agreed. It's just my opinion

18. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Right , well since I collapsed into a comatose heap earlier in the day ( due to my late night escapades detailed in the god hates me thread ) , this is the first oppoutunity I've had to reply . Heathens .

Anyway ... what we have here ( me ) is a rabib , bona fide LOTR fan . Born and raised with the Tolkien influence , I personally think the books should replace the bible ( i shan't make any comments about them probably being closer to fact than the bible either ) . So I can assure you , if the film had been off kilter , I personally would have hunted down Peter jackson , and gleefully reenacted scenes from Bad Taste and braindead with him , if you get my drift ... mmmm , brains .

But Mr. Jackson delievered . As all Tolkien fans will most likely atestify , the film was a far better effort than the earlier ralph Bakshi animated attempt . The flow of the film was acceptable . Nicely paced . The acting ... quite excellent . Many of you were annoyed by Elijah Woods portrayal of Frodo ... what you must remember , is that frodo Baggins is innocent and naive ... which Mr.Wood carried off convincingly . Frodo isn't a battle hardened warrior ... hell , he and his hobbit companions have never left the shire .

Ian Mckellens Gandalf was perfect ... just as Patrick Stewart was born to play the X-Mens Professor Xavier , McKellen was born to play Gandalf . The kindly old wizard carried enough mystery and underlying power . And Vigo Mortenssens Aragorn ? Fantastic ... the quintiscential hero . Brave , bold , heroic ... the guy made an impressive impact . I could go on , but on the whole the cast was fantastic .

It has been said that LOTR has taught George Lucas a valuable lesson ... it is possible to combine a good story with good acting . And yes , I will freely make comparisions .. because lets face it ... these are two of the biggest fantasy movie franchises ( yes , SW is a fantasy movie ) . Compare even the comic relief ... certainly in the Classic trilogy , the comic relief was handled better , but not in TPM . However , Sam thwacking Goblins with a frying pan ... classic . I don't know ... maybe its cool to dislike LOTR ... go against the trend and all ... but not me . I loved it . In my eyes it an instant classic ... and I have yet to hear anyone I know give it a bad review .

19. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    Well it's 1.38pm in the morning..and I've been burning in the midnight oil..and I popped in to see what was happening..and I thought i would add my 2 p to the discussion.

I thought LOTR was the best film I have seen in a long, long time.

It perfectly crafted aspects of so-called pop corn films ( which I label Star Wars ) with the deep and soulful aspects of art house.

Jackson - who I've always rated as a good director..has bumfed up a great..but at sometimes extremely dull book to a glorious piece of cinema..

I myself have made comparisons with LOTR and The SW Trilogy..only because they are both films directed by rogue directors working on the fringes of Hollywood.

Now as far as SW goes..as a 7 year old boy it totally blew me away, Empire left a sense of dark forboding that..as a 10 year old...I had never felt before..ROTJ..well that had a promising start and a great finale...but once on Endor...It kind of well..went a bit cute...as for TPM..well regulars here and on TFN..will know what I think about at that mish mash of a film..

LOTR..had a magic and a timless quality that is sadly lacking in event movies..

I haven't seen anything that good since...well SW..

As for will it stand up aginst AOTC...you betcha...I've read the script spoilers..and quite frankly I was unimpressed...sure it's got a cool battle and a chase sequence through Corseca..but Lucas has lost the plot..he is trying to to hard...and complicating a once simple but effective story...

The love thing...leaves me cold..( Lucas isn't the best person when dealing with emotions and it shows...)

..plus the other day..someone on the TFN said that LOTR would of been better if Lucas and ILM had done it...well he did do it.. with a right turkey of a film called 'Willow'

Think about it...

20. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    OK...LOTR is a good movie...no doubts there. It is very well acted. But its craftsmanship is where it starts to fall apart. Admittedly, its a nearly impossible story to tell as a movie, but it's not my job to make allowances for flaws in a film that someone payed $90 million to make.

It was an action film when it should have been structured as Frodo's hero journey. It wasn't told through his eyes. It was told through an omnipresent eye, and friends, it's too unwieldy a story for that. It's a good flic, but as AlphaWolf has been saying, what's all the fuss?

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    "and I have yet to hear anyone I know give it a bad review"

Haven't you read this thread? ;)

22. Capt-Mentalist

Capt-Mentalist Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Twisting of my words Halibut . I have yet to hear anyone I know give it a bad word . Anyway , if you don't like LOTR , your a heathen , hence a non person , with a worthless opinion .

Rabib LOTR fan out .

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    CM, yeah I do that ;)

As I said before, I was entertained. It was a visual treat, and I do not consider it a waste of the ticket price. I just found the story, well, dull. I found myself not caring for the characters (except Stryder. He was cool). And when Sean Bean was killed - nothing.

I will go and see the other two when they come out though

24. quillan

quillan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    sorry but i have listened to all the arguments for this movie and i still think i hit the nail on the head, it was alright.
    maybe the fact that the Vanilla Sky trailer before it did'nt help much as it looked infinitly more interesting, well it did.

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I thought the best thing about it was the Austin Powers trailer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.