main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn, a Descendant of Mace Windu

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DeanoMeisteR, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    End this nonsense.

2. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    First of all, if they were going to do this, it would be Lando, not Mace. Remember, JJ was involved with these movies from the beginning, and he does not want to remind people of the prequels.

Second, this is the most racist idea I've ever heard of. I said that when people were speculating about him being Lando's son, too. I know this is a galaxy where somehow everyone seems to be related, but making Finn related to Mace, Lando, or Panaka would utterly ruin his character because it will further prove that there are less than twenty black people in the entire galaxy and that apparently they're all related.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    wtf are you on about?

4. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    There is more than one goddamn black family in the Galaxy.

WriterMan and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

There's plenty of nods to the PT in TFA, Lor San Tekka talks about it and we hear Ewan McGregor calling "Rey...these are you're first steps". Kylo references clone troopers and Maz tells Rey that Anakin used to own the lightsaber. No there's plenty of PT references to suggest Abrams far from wanted the audience to forget the first three episodes,

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. DjangoKet

DjangoKet Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 15, 2015
    john and samuel L dont even look alike.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

If you seriously think these two situations are remotely comparable than you really, really don't get it and likely never will.

:oops:

8. DeanoMeisteR

DeanoMeisteR Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    No I do get it. I knew this thread would get certain comments magnifying any potential racism issues first going into this. And I also understand people go to lengths in every day life to say one thing is politically correct but not the other thing.

Saying that a dark-skinned person is related to another dark-skinned person for no reason whatsoever? I agree, that is pretty racist actually. It is racist because it is a generalization based on skin color in my view. That is not something I intended to do, my reasoning is clearly on the table in every one of my posts. I just want to address my take on that first and foremost. I speculate force sensitivity, has a name we will know.

The 'unwant for this to happen' doesn't refute speculation that makes the theory plausible even though it might be a far-shot.

That's the beauty about these discussions though, maybe disney is looking down and seeing what the people like and don't like as a whole and maybe they'll use that knowledge to some degree.

thatguyswise74 likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

No the theory isn't even remotely plausible, if for no other reason than Disney is producing this and they're going to great lengths to make this as modern, and liberal, as they can.

Which would totally fly in the face of the "all blacks look alike/are related" trope this nonsense would fall into.

It's a horrible idea to relate the most major black character in Star Wars history randomly with one of the only 3 other black characters just because, you know, they're black. The idea is to EXPAND diversity, not stifle it.

10. DeanoMeisteR

Sep 8, 2004
    In the post directly above yours, there is other reasoning besides skin color. So that's not what this idea is. Maybe there is a disconnect here on that and I can explain it another way if needed.

11. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    If (and they won't/I hope they don't) they make him related to a character from the saga, then I don't see identifying Mace Windu, Lando Calrisian or Cpt. Panaka as potential fathers for Finn as bordering on racism. The assumption that Finn MUST and can only be related to one of these other black characters, however, is.

jaqen likes this.
  12. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Yikes, this is still going. I stand by my earlier post, Finn isn't force sensitive and his scene with the lightsaber was merely an easter egg. Finn uses a lightsaber. Ralph Macquerrie drew a picture of a storm trooper wielding a lightsaber during the planning stages of ANH. Finn was a storm trooper. JJ & co probably decided it would be cool to have a [former] storm trooper battle with a lightsaber. It's merely a homage, no Force powers, no relation to Mace Windu. Occam's Razor.

Mace Windu is dead, he died at the hands of Palpetine and Anakin in AOTC. Whatever happened in the EU, it's no longer cannon. He's gone. Captain Panaka was just a background character in TMP. There's no reason to bring him back in a sense by being related to Finn. There's no payoff, storytelling-wise, for making Panaka related to Finn.

Finn is simply a man with no past outside of the FO, who must now forge his own path and identity. I don't want them to invent new characters to be his long lost family either. That sort of thing is already played out with Luke and Leia and Darth Vader.

DeanoMeisteR likes this.
  13. DeanoMeisteR

Sep 8, 2004
    I know I missed an opportunity to say why I thought Finn was force sensitive in my opening post, but yeah just an idea.

I like Finn being great on his own, I think he is. I don't think this theory contracdicts that, but simply adds a sense of familiarity.

Cabbage Knight likes this.
  14. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I have nothing against Finn being Force sensitive, I'm just trying to come across from the POV of the film crew and why they chose to have that scene in there, in that way. Old concepts get recycled in various new ways all the time in Star Wars. I'd like it if maybe Finn himself may not be Force sensitive, but maybe someday has a son/daughter who is.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I can never keep a straight face during that scene because of that [face_laugh]

Sable de luz likes this.
  16. Alpha Cloudleaper

Alpha Cloudleaper Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I don't understand what all the "racism" comments are about. A movie was created in which it is STRONGLY suggested that many new characters are likely related to old characters. Furthermore, the old characters are either still connected or "conveniently" running into each other, hence MAKING it a "small universe". The writer of the movie has set up a situation in which it is completely plausible to ask the question is Finn related to one of the older characters b/c that seems to be the narrative Abrams is going with in relation to other characters. Nothing racist about it, completely logical and innocent question.

Pretty sure the PC POLICE are more interested in what's happening in THE REAL WORLD rather than policing FICTIONAL RACISM. JMO.

Not to stir this pot any worse, but if somebody wants to complain about racism, then complain about the fact that the only black character in the movie had no name and only a number, and a man of another race decided to name him. That doesn't bother me either b/c I don't believe that part of the story had any malicious intent whatsoever, but if some race baiters really want to make a stink about a FICTIONAL UNIVERSE that seems like a more likely point to start rather than a logical conclusion that the original poster was making.

JMO.

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Why people are whining about seeing other characters, but the same people are happy to see the likes of Vader (talking to his mask I mean c'mon), Leia, Luke etc. ? I mean you can be happy to see them, or not, but this is so much bias, choosing to see one but not the others.