main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not that I know. But I would say that the Swedish puckelryggig (hunchback) is a harder word to use in a title, or many a-sentence, it don't flow as well as the English hunchback. Ringaren (the ringer) on the other hand flows well and it is his job description.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sick, but funny.

Those cruel, heartless ******** who stage real life Ring pranks, with the girl from the Well, climbing out of tvs.

Frankly, I'd run too.

There was a film with Charles Laughton called Hunchback of Notre Dame, and all mentions since, all media, not specifically related to a US college football team, have been the same thing.

Never heard of Notre-Dame de Paris.

Is it a spin-off? :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    In germany its actually called "The Bell Ringer of Notre Dame"

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've heard English versions called 'The Bell Ringer or Norte Dame' so maybe it is just an alternative title more popular in some areas.

Darth Basin and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's a prequel.

Kahara and yahiko like this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    As witness voter statistics of the most recent US election.

[face_laugh] When I walked into my breakroom on Monday morning, there were two boxes of doughnuts on the counter with a sign above them: ENJOY! THESE HAVE ZERO CALORIES! #ALTERNATIVE FACTS. Everyone took a photo before diving in...

I've only ever heard it called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," I think that was the title of the original translation. I've never read it myself. In school, we leaned towards American & British classics (lots of Dickens, Austen, Twain) and we did a translation of the Trojan War (I've always loved the phrase "wine-dark sea.") For my French classes, though, I don't remember reading Victor Hugo. We read Pantagruel, and something by Chateaubriand, which I never understood. Bonjour Tristesse, and Rhinoceros. It left me with the impression that French literature is inescapably gloomy, which can't be the case.

Chyntuck and Briannakin like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    "Alternative facts" have become a bit of a running gag in all my classes.

In my econ class today, the prof was pointing out a typo in the textbook. A student replied, "It isn't wrong. It's just an alternative fact!"

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh yes, "alternative facts" is one of those phrases that will go down in history, and in many, many languages. Judging from my Twitter feed, it's awesomely popular in Greece and Egypt as well.

Meanwhile, Mr Chyn found my copy of Notre-Dame and I started reading it again last night. I know that there isn't such a thing as perfection in literature, but this novel comes pretty darn close. Just the four paragraphs of the preface... It's impossible not to continue reading after that.

Mistress_Renata I wouldn't describe French literature as inescapably gloomy, but "mostly gloomy" sounds like a pretty good description to me :p

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The book is called Zvonar bogorodičine crkve here, so we even translate the name of the church itself, for some reason.

I prefer the Remarque book with a vaguely similar title.

yahiko - 45 guarantees nearly half a century of experiences in life, but learning from the said experiences is optional. Throughout my life, the worst people I was meeting were from age 39-49 at the time of our arguments, disappointments etc. Young folks can be callow, unpredictable, rude, but at some point, they come to their senses. A middle-aged individual doesn't think they owe anything to anybody and they might just LOL YOLO NO REGRETS on pretty much anybody.

I hope I'm not that when I'm in my forties, nope. My parents were that kind of types in their forties, and I was one of the products of that LOL YOLO NO REGRETS phase of theirs. But I have two friends who are in their forties and awesome as kriff. :D

10. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Most of my friends, or so called friends, are young or senior.
    There is some truth in what you say Ewok Poet.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Ideally, when you reach your forties, you have YOLO tempered by all that experience.

It's taken me this long to learn to stand up for myself and realize I don't put up with bullies. Now, you're going to be rude and nasty to me or my child? I don't have to put up with that poodoo. Doesn't mean I have to be rude and nasty back, but I don't have to sit there and take it out of "politeness". And I'm just not as concerned about OMG WHAT WILL PEOPLE THINK as I used to be. If I want to make a Twi'lek costume or paint custom action figures, yup, gonna do it! Why should I care if some people think I'm nuts? I'm having fun...and I found people who think it's teh awesome :D

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ^^^ Seconded, thirded and quadrupled.

13. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Just to remember that my original issue was an argument with a 45-year-old woman who cannot stand criticisms of any sort.
    By no mean I said people over 40 should not have their own hobbies or dignity.
    That said, I agree with what you say Raissa Baiard, but by any means, this was not my point. I do not want to be considered like someone discriminatory toward people depending on their age.

14. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    yahiko...I didn't feel that you were saying that at all. I was replying more to Ewok Poet's point about 40-ish people who are simply YOLO.

I didn't mean to imply that you were being rude to your critique partner in any way, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I agree with you that by age 45 this woman should have developed some sort of coping skills. Sadly, as Ewok Poet pointed out, growing older doesn't always equate with growing up...the bully that I was think of in the post above was the 70 something van driver for my special needs daughter.

15. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    I'd rather being cautious. This place seems to be full of people over 40... :D

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I make a clear difference between the "what will people think" and "how will my actions affect others" scenarios. The YOLO is 100% OK in the earlier - I dress like a 15-year-old in 1993 and if somebody calls me out on what women over thirty should not wear, they're getting the bird - but in the latter, YOLO is not OK.

yahiko - There's nothing bad about that. And I'm pretty sure that at least two people on here are over 60.

But...we should totally do a "How old are you?" poll. I'm curious now. Just for the heck of it, one question, anonymous.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  17. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    When I first started writing fanfic, I was one of the older writers on the board....at the age of 26. :p

Kahara, leiamoody, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  18. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    When I started writing I was I think 14, when I wrote something wroth uploading 17 ;).

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am still working on the "something worth uploading" part with my own writing [face_beatup]

Anedon likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I was 18, but on that board, we had somebody who was 12.

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That shouldn't be surprising. Star Wars was released almost 40 years ago. I became a Star Wars fan in 1977.

I'm not old. I am a highly experienced Star Wars fan. ;)

yahiko, Kahara, leiamoody and 4 others like this.
  22. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't take it personally, yahiko. :) Raissa Baiard is right; unless your criticism was totally rude, she should have a thicker skin if she asks for criticism.

Like Celtic Songs! Only the drinking songs aren't gloomy...everyone gets drunk, gets in a fight, then gets arrested & sent to Australia. :D

I need to learn how to do voice recording on my cell phone. I was working offsite today & had a very long drive. Wrote most of my Celtic Challenge story in my head, but there was no way to write it down, because of course my hands had to stay on the wheel. I hope I can remember it now!

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I was telling stories as a toddler, using my hands so the characters could 'speak'. I know I wrote some stories in the third grade (8/9 years old) and after the first Harry Potter book came out i wrote a sort Harry Potter fan fic but it took place in America and the school wasn't a boarding school. I stumbled here back in '07 and joined because I wanted to make comments on the fics I was reading and be informed of when they were updated and not rely on guess work (my siblings and I used to read Harry Potter fan fics on one of the sites dedicated to Harry Potter and i think it was official but it wasn't well modded because there were characters that were under-aged attempting to sleep together and at some point the fisrt page was the last page) and I started writing and posting; never looked back.

Kahara likes this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: What American's call The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - I think it's probably one of those books that most people have heard of and not all that many have read. As far a Hugo goes, I feel like -at least in my social circles- more people have read Les Miserables. Though that might be because it made for an incredible musical. To be honest, that's why I want to read it.

Chyntuck, yahiko and Kahara like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks for the Notre-Dame/Hunchback replies everyone!

Ewok Poet In Greek too, we translate the name of the church as the title. Which makes perfect sense since the novel is really about the church :)

mavjade Honestly, I can seen why more people would have read Les Misérables than Notre-Dame. Les Misérables may be absolutely ginormous, but it's really a historical epic and it's a much easier read than Notre-Dame, given its focus on characters' stories rather than a piece of architecture (with a few digressions of course, but without digressions it wouldn't be Victor Hugo!)

Regarding the other topic at hand, let's just say that I started writing at a time when the Internet was something that we only heard about in science-fiction films :p And that, funnily enough, makes me only 43 years old.

Oh, and here's your daily dose of alternative facts (from the SW meme thread):

[​IMG]

mavjade , Kahara, jcgoble3 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.