main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks guys

I´m sad to hear we once again get only three seasons of the doctor before the change. Twelve has such a potential.
    For a new doctor I´ve no idea what I would like to see, but your suggestions seem intersting.
    Helen Mirren is a great actress and the doctor being an older woman would be cool.

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    nm

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't see the point in giving the Doctor Who actor a year's break if he is going to resign straight or soon after. You could have gotten a season in, in that year.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Third person here who's never watched Doctor Who :p I really need to catch up though, because what I've heard of it sounds cool.

mavjade I'm sure your paper is fine. *soothing thoughts*

Briannakin I love how kids come up with comments like this! Is this the wheelchair you were thinking of BB8-ing a few months back?

Good grief. You Americans sure know how to figure out pleasant ways to die =P~

I wrote it down already -- I even went in a café on the plaza in front of Notre-Dame to take notes and find more ideas. But I promised to myself that I won't begin actually writing that story before I complete the half-dozen fics I have on hiatus right now, plus a few pending challenges. I started too many things at the same time in 2015-2016, and I hate leaving things unfinished.

mavjade and Briannakin like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, though it is still very much the 'Iron Man' colour scheme with the unpainted satin titanium and red highlights and red spokes. I haven't had the guts to take the spray paint to it yet, because it is still just so pretty and I know it just won't turn out as nice.

I'm not sure if the year off was specifically for him, but I thought for sure it was going to give us more seasons with him. It sucks but I can hardly blame the actors in these situations.

Anyways. Doctor Who is so much more than time travel and if you can get pass the horrible cheese factor, new Who is great. Classic Who will suck your life away :p

Anyway. It is 4am here and I'm wide awake. I had a headache last night so I just gave up and went to bed super early. I have to be up in less than 3 hours so I'm just debating staying up.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    They did the same thing with David Tennant, made a holier-than-though song and dance about having a duty of care to the actor so that he could go off and do a year on stage, and come back refreshed, but instead Tennant announces that he's off-ski, and we missed out on having an additional full season with him.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Joanna Lumley should return to her role as the 13th Doctor.
    I actually prefer the classic Dr. Who, and regarding cheese factor: bring me that quattro formaggi and cheese board!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    A very happy birthday to Darthmagus970 [face_party]

I forgot to report on Romeo and Juliet when I posted in this thread earlier today (I wasn't completely awake then) so here goes. I'm still digesting it because it was quite unusual for a Comédie-Française production -- the Comédie-Française is the epitome of high-quality but VERY classic theatre, and in this production the quality was there but the classicism, not so much. The director's choice was to transfer the story to 1920s southern Italy, and that wasn't what I expected at all so it kind of threw me off-kilter. I was also disappointed by the fact that they chose a 19th-century translation of the play that takes a few liberties with the text and they cut out some scenes. The actor who plays Romeo came across as a bit drab, but that may have to do with the fact that Suliane Brahim, who plays Juliet, is really a remarkable actress who tends to steal the show. Everything else was stellar: the acting, the costumes, the lights, etc. And it was in one of the nicest theatres in the world, so it was still magic despite the things I had to criticise.

divapilot How was the opera? We need to compare notes here :)

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    OAH MY GOAT IT WAS AWESOME !!!1111!!!!^:)^
    Now granted, it was my very first time at the Metropolitan Opera, so I was a bit very starstruck just being in that gorgeous building. (My son has been there numerous times before.) Just being there was a thrill.

And the opera itself was incredible. The tenor was fantastic, the soprano was just gorgeous. The acting was terrific. The scene where Mercutio and Tybalt fought was a full-out, swashbuckling action scene! The sets made you believe you were in Verona, and oh boy those costumes. I loved every single minute of it. So beautiful. So, so beautiful.

I can't wait to go back again!

Ewok Poet, mavjade , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  10. Darthmagus970

Darthmagus970 Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    Thank you

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I saw that! Since it opened last weekend, every time my boyfriend asks what I want for lunch/dinner I say "cookie dough". :p
    It's kinda hard to get to from where we live (NYC hard to get somewhere, meaning it's not directly on our subway line ;) ), so while it's still cold and snowy, neither of us really want to make the trek over there just for that. Once it gets warm and we can just walk around the area with our cookie dough, we probably will.

Isn't it beautiful! I've only been once, but I was in awe. Next time I go, I want to fully dress up in an evening gown because it feels like the kind of place you should, and I always want an excuse to do so. (I was dressed up, but not that dressed up.)

Happy birthday Darthmagus970

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mmmmm. Cookie dough. Americans truly come up with the best ways to die.

I'm currently a bit annoyed but I'm not sure if I really have the right to be annoyed. I got invited to a certain "friend's" (you know who) birthday, but she wants to go hiking. Now, I've actually been on this trail in both the summer and in the fall. It actually isn't too bad in the summer if it's dry, but it's a mess in the fall and I can only imagine what it is like with snow. Needless to say, I can't go and I'm kinda annoyed. I mean, it's her birthday and she can do what she wants, but why invite someone who can't do the activity?

Anyways. I'm also procrastinating studying for my biological anthropology mid-term. I knew this was going to be a more science-based course, but it is like grade 8 science class all over again. On one hand, I've studied the basics of genetics, mitosis, meiosis before. BUTTT it's been about 10 years and my memory for terminology sucks (there was a reason why I did physics later on in high school and not biology or chemistry, and it wasn't just because we got to play with cars and rockets!).

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    That is SO Hemingway of you!!! :p

Well, give it some time, let it get a few dings and bangs, then you can go crazy. :D

OMG, that would be so wild!

I haven't been to an opera in years; it's so expensive! Although there's a local group down here who do operettas, that I can sometimes get a ticket for. There is a local movie theater who show performances from the Met sometimes, but it's a pale imitation of the real thing.

No news here. Hugs all around, to those who want them! [:D]

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm totally dead. Yesterday (January 31st) was out slava, Saint Athanasius and I basically took care of everything - my mom only provided the money because I'm still on a work break and made žito. I spent the last week running all the errands, pulling trolleys and carrying bags from whatever supermarkets had discounts on certain items, and making six different types of cookies, Today, after one last supermarket run to get the heaviest stuff, I made four different fancy salads and then mom decided that she does not have the time to make gibanica...

...so I spent most of the evening baking four batches of savoury crescents based on this recipe (scroll down for English version and where the author says cumin, she means caraway!). Filled them with some smoked ham and feta cheese, they were heavenly. But the moment I had to run to buy fresh yeast in a LBD, with my dad's cooking apron and a sporty jacket over it...I think the cashier at the grocery store has now seen it all. :p

I want to review some fics before going to sleep and if I can wake up to see the re-run of the Chance episode we missed this evening and then run to my therapist for the ADHD testing/evaluation - and bring her some cookies - I'll be fine. But I miiiight need to use my phone alarm. So.freakin.tired.

Briannakin - Are there any...bears and other scary things that can be used as a plan b excuse, since you-know-who is not smart enough to get a hint that you can't take a part in such activity in the winter?

P.S. divapilot - you used my copyrighted phrase, now you need to pay me royalties. :eek:

Kahara and divapilot like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ewok Poet happy Slava! Those dishes look delicious. And you will get my check presently. I've said that expression in other places. You're trending.:p

Mistress_Renata - the tickets weren't all that expensive. I know that some of the tickets in the boxes and in orchestra can be wicked expensive but these are priced pretty reasonably considering the level of entertainment you're getting. Of course, you're sitting there watching low flying aircraft wave as they pass by... still, you can see and hear everything. We dressed nicely but not formally. We did see some fancy schmancy ball gowns and tuxes. It's fun to watch what everyone else was wearing.

Briannakin, your friend is not very considerate. I hope she reconsiders and comes up with a plan that can include everyone. However, if it's who I think you've talked about in the past, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is one of those times I wish we could place quotes in signatures. ^:)^[face_chicken] ^:)^[face_chicken] BAAAAH.

divapilot likes this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ewok Poet - Happy Slava! Smoked ham and feta crescents sound great! I'm looking for something to make for a party on Sunday (and other people have claimed desert, which is my usual go to), I might have to do something like that! Is what you described/from that recipe gibanica? The pictures on the wiki for gibanica look amazing! =P~

Gamiel - the link you posted is behind a paywall. :(

Bri - That sucks, I'm sorry she's done that. :( Normally I'd say maybe she felt like she was including you by inviting you -as misguided as it might be- but from what you've said I kinda doubt that's the case.

Briannakin and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You see, that's the good thing/bad thing about unpainted titanium - there is no dings or bags in the paint, because there is no paint. Lord knows I have some scratches on the finish, but you can't really see them unless you are looking for them. I may BB-8 ify my old clunker wheelchair though, just to see how it would turn out. Summer project perhaps.

Bah! I was already honest in telling her why I can't go. She started to come up with some crazy solution and I was like, no, I'm not risking my body or my wheelchair. PLUS IT'S going to be -15C that day. It is not worth the pneumonia in my weak little lungs.

Yeah, I don't care if she's not reconsidering. Whenever I am invited on hikes with other friends, they always make sure it is at a location (and time of year) that I can make it up, even if someone has to come an alternative route with me.

Also, I'm not one for operas (with maybe a few exceptions), but just once in my life I want to dress up all fancy for something like that.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Happy Slava, Ewok Poet, and congrats on surviving all that cooking. :)

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, divapilot, mavjade, Chyntuck :)

Mav, mom will be making gibanica tonight - hopefully, for dad's best friend and his wife, so I'll write down what you'll need for about 12 pieces. Gibanica is made with phyllo dough, some good white cheese (feta is OK if you can't find anything super-specific that we have here), eggs and my mom sprinkles each layer with a couple of drops of beer.

EDIT: forgot to wish happy birthday to Darthmagus970 - all the best to you. :)

mavjade likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Listened to a podcast about the Beast of London Road.

Nobody "knows" what it is, but the legend is that something chases cars, and parents use it as the reason to keep their kids inside after dark.

How do the local teens respond to growing up with this?

A) Stop their cars at night along the forest-lined road until "something" starts after them, then accelerate away; or

B) stop the car, get out of the car, face the vehicle and turn their back on the woods, then on hearing the sounds of something rushing up behind them, jump in the car and drive off!

The sheer *****. [:eek:]

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :( To bad, it worked fine for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.