main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I cant believe people thought that post was about reylo. John really is living rent free in their heads.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I was just about to say that.

3. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Meanwhile there's a person who literally bold faced lied a page or two back about the person harassing him in a post being a Reylo, got 6 likes. Unhinged weirdos on all sides apparently.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    NileQT87 likes this.
  4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Honestly, I'm starting to worry about the obsession some seem to have for John. To borrow from anime, it's very Tsunderish.

Crazed Fan: "I hate you John, and every single breath you take drives me mad with anger!" (in their mind: "When will sempai Notice ME!")

Actually...considering the nature of the romance some of these people profess to enjoy....maybe this really IS flirting in their minds....

Anyways, John seems to be doing well and does have two projects in the works (That I know about) one of which will be on Netflix...so perhaps if Disney/LFL gives him a good role they might get him on Disney+ afterall...

5. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Somebody posted a pic from his insta like a year ago, and it was his arm, absolutely drenched in blood, wielding a katana and wearing a Rolex or something. Anybody know what film/project that's for?

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds like Attack the Block.
    [​IMG]

griffon2k and Def Trooper like this.
  7. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I will reiterate my opinion that the pot stirrers are not actual reylos, but trolls.

8. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Delusional trolls. But I suppose that goes without saying.

I do think the some of the pit stirrers are of that nature though. Buzz kills for the rest of the people that just want to talk. Now people have somehow created a divide where theres only two sides

9. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Maybe, but it looked different from that if I'm not mistaken.

afrojedi and griffon2k like this.
  10. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    They're doing that on purpose to further their social agenda, without regard for destroying fan enjoyment. That's my take.

NileQT87 likes this.
  11. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    @Def Trooper I wanna say, "maybe it's that sequel to Attack the Block?", but I don't think anything has come of that beyond his expressing an interest of pursuing it. (Not 100% sure how I feel about that, though.)

12. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    I think it's a movie where he's a villain. There was another pic he shared where he had blood all over him.

afrojedi and Triad Moons like this.
  13. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Naked Singularity

14. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    So...about this Trevorrow script. I know I'm probably late to the party but I read through it and...I don't know whether to be extremely angry or oddly relieved that Finn is shafted in both versions of Episode IX.

On one hand, I don't have to be mad that the movie wasn't made instead. I mean, I wanted a stormtrooper rebellion, which happens in the script but it's still executed in a boring and pretty flat way, much like most of the screenplay. But on the other hand, it is absolutely embarrassing how the creators didn't know what to do with a character that was originally a main protagonist only second to Rey (whose character also comes out pretty badly in both scripts).

A good example of this is how Rey and Poe all of a sudden have this flirtationship going on. Making Poe kind of a chivalrous pervert happens in both versions and I hate it so much, but the script goes out of it's way to have Poe constantly express his romantic feelings for Rey -only for her to reject him every time- while Finn and Rey's relationship gets downgraded from intimate but platonic to practically non-existent. Why were Disney, LFL, and the creators so adamantly against Finn and Rey's relationship? I mean, I know the answer because they made it blatantly obvious but it's just so...weird. Why bend over backwards to diminish Finn's role and his relationship with Rey when all it does is ruin the story? They even ripoff the ending of Rebels by having Poe searching for a supposedly dead Rey instead of Finn.

As crazy as it is to say, at least Reylo had some semblance of a setup and Kylo Ren was an important/popular character with an actual albeit complicated relationship with Rey. Reylo fails on so many levels and is still completely unearned, but this faux romance is somehow even more superfluous and unnecessary, especially when it could have just gone to Finn.

afrojedi, Def Trooper, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  15. rayjefury

rayjefury Jedi Master star 2

Jun 3, 2017
    I honestly feel like the fans in this forum had more idea of what to do with Finn than TPTB at LFL. They made such a mess of things and I honestly feel like the brand took a hit over this trilogy.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The most benign reasoning I could come up with personally was that Poe was someone they both wanted elevated to Rey and Finn's level (and being Rey’s love interest was a quick way to do that) and that Poe seemed more like the “traditional” love interest they’d want/Finn was “taken” by Rose.

The more negative reaction I had was that they either regarded any display of TFA style depth as a threat to the intended bond between her and Kylo, or simply giving into the paranoia they’re have about an interracial relationship with a white girl and a black man.

17. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    I'm really not one to subscribe to the "fandom knows the characters/story better than the creator/corporation", but the Sequel Trilogy might be the first time where I'm somewhat convinced of that mentality. Even when taking into consideration some of the awful ideas I saw floating around in the early days, every now and again you ended up with several someones who came up with an idea that a lot of us thought would be a given when it came to how Finn's story could progress.

18. rayjefury

Jun 3, 2017
    This is a fair observation. There have been plenty of bad ideas regarding Finn from well-meaning fans. But I have seen both Force and Non-Force related potential story arcs on this site (and a few others) that was, in terms of meaningful and creative growth, far superior to what we got. I will also temper this notion with the fact that I also saw MANY people offer theories that Rey was a Palpatine long before TRoS, and in retrospect (mostly based on how it was actually executed) it was a bad idea. I didn't hate that Rey was a nobody, I hated that they played up the fact that she WAS part of a lineage and then pulled the rug out from underneath everyone. This is why I despised TLJ as an installment to the trilogy. Subversion seemingly for the sake of subversion. As much as Rian claimed he wanted to challenge the characters what seems obvious is that he wanted to challenge the fans on how they had enjoyed the franchise before it got into his hands.

Rey could be a nobody, Finn could be non-FS, hell Reylo could be a thing if that's what you want tell that story, tell it from the beginning. Don't bait and switch and then claim that the problem is the fans. I'm still over here shaking my head about how excited I was for SW to be back and how disappointed I have been with each following Episode. If they were trying to kill people's fandom, I think they succeeded.

19. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    I remember there being heated disagreement among Black Finn fans about whether or not he should be force sensitive or not (because of the question of his agency in that storyline) almost as much as some either embraced or rejected the idea that he should've been a healer of some type (which most seemed to dislike because they feared it would divorce him too much from his own arc and over-dependent on other characters, which is what happened anyway).

I think the most "out-there" storyline suggested (for Finn) was that the "Finn" name meant they were lifting from the Prince Finn story from the Dark Horse comics run (and that usually led into arguments about romanticizing monarchy or that Finn shouldn't have to be royalty to be important to the story). The only thing we absolutely agreed upon was that whatever the story was, it had to focus on his lost identity and family that didn't sideline him in the overall plot.

(Not gonna lie, though, some Prince theories were pretty cool. I liked them more than "Finn is a Skywalker", personally)

Lord. Palpatine had so little to do with the conflict in the Sequel Trilogy (that was barely characterized in the films), and even less with Rey, whose "dark side" was barely explored with any consequence, that I can't really see how such a story was ever considered feasible, no matter how well written. Realistically, I don't think Rey's parents not being Skywalkers or Solos would've been such an issue had it not been for the way it was framed. Nobody's parents are nobody. They're your formative influence, absent or present, negative or positive. They're the reason why belonging and family means something to people.

TLJ choosing to handle her parentage in a fashion that it wasn't in favor of pushing her story forward, aside from the subversion of it all, reinforced how little she mattered to Johnson. We could've seen Rey trying to reconcile with her family's actions on her own terms (now that she had connections), maybe connecting with Luke (who had no real connection to his parents because of unfortunate circumstances), and trying to contextualize them as people in the aftermath. Instead we get a reveal telling us Kylo Ren was more important than her family (found or lost), and that she didn't matter outside his context.

I don't know why he seemed so concerned with that. Like, dang, let people enjoy their predicable, light-hearted space adventure stories in peace, fam? Go be like that someplace else.

The fandom is definitely demoralized despite stuff like The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian coming out of the works and re-energizing things. The worst thing the media has done is manufacture a narrative where the fandom was somehow at fault for why the Sequel Trilogy failed instead of laying the fault with LucasFilm and everyone responsible for allowing it to get as bad as it did. The absolute lack of perspective in the very idea was reckless and irresponsible.

I've never seen an general audience, fanbase, and a cast of actors dissatisfied with how things turned so unanimously, whatever the aspect they took issue with. I don't know if I'll ever look at Star Wars with the same, I guess, optimism, after this. I don't like describing it as heartbreak, because seems too dang dramatic, but I certainly won't be giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore with anything they produce going forward.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Def Trooper, 2Cleva and afrojedi like this.
  20. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Has everyone seen the thing where John Boyega pretends to be every character in "Cats?"

One of the best internet laughs I have had in a while.

"The litterbox scene was absolutely disgusting to shoot."

21. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    I saw it. His editing skills are something to be admired, honestly.

reyvision and cratylus like this.
  22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This is my favorite photoshop of at least the last week [face_rofl]

Jedi Knight Fett, 2Cleva and afrojedi like this.
  24. rayjefury

Jun 3, 2017
    I'm really interested in when this comes out. It's apparently based on the novel by the same name, anybody here read it? The poster looked awesome but I haven't heard anything about it since. Even the wikipedia page for the movie is pretty sparse.

25. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I keep up with Hollywood casting and film announcements so I’ve been aware of the movie for quite some time thanks to Deadline which is my go-to site for such information. Here’s a link to the Deadline report that first made me aware of the future film.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/anton-...oyega-scott-free-chase-palmer-efm-1202551671/

And here’s a blurb from that same report which tells you what the movie is about:

Palmer is adapting the screenplay with David Matthews (Narcos, Vinyl). The story centers on an idealistic young New York City public defender burned out by the system and in the middle of a mental breakdown. Seeing signs of the universe collapsing around him, he gets suspended and decides to rob a $75M drug deal off one of his clients.

And here is another link regarding the announcement of Olivia Cooke joining the cast. She was the only one in the cast other than Boyega who got an individual casting news writeup which suggest her role is a major one, probably second to only Boyega’s, the likely leading lady of the film and perhaps his love interest.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/olivia-cooke-john-boyega-scott-free-naked-singularity-1202591129/

What is fascinating about her casting is that she was one of three names originally tossed around to be the new female character rumored to be involved in Finn’s story for Rian Johnson’s second installment of the Star Wars Sequel trilogy. None of the three ended up being picked although word was that Cooke was considered to be the front runner until she pulled out when accepting a major part in Spielberg’s “Ready Player One.” But this was contradicted when Rian Johnson claimed he had intended all along to cast a non-white actress to play the part that would eventually become Rose. Was he lying after having lost her services? Would that role had gone to Cooke if she was available? Could she had ben eyed for a character that would have been completely different (there were rumors that Han Solo had a daughter who would show up in the movie)? Did she get dropped because Rian had been insistent on a non-white actress (ensuring a non-white love interest for Finn interestingly enough)? Are all of these rumors and reports bs? Can’t say for sure. What I can say is despite my meh feelings towards “Ready Player One”, I think Cooke should feel fortunate to have avoided the mess the SW saga has become.

rayjefury, Def Trooper and cerealbox like this.