main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I doubt there is going to be separate discussions about Finn and Kylo as long as some of the same people who are pretending that Kylo is “not evil” are also so eager to slam Finn for “crimes” that are much less terrible than assault and mass murder.

Or to put it another way, as long as negative commentary about Finn is coming from the same place as positive commentary about Kylo, there will always seem to be a correlation.

And I won’t speak for anyone other than myself, but I absolutely give Finn a pass for claiming he was with a Resistance when he wasn’t. And for wanting to get the hell out of Maz’s place instead of jumping into the fight.

...for the same reason that I gave Han a pass in ANH for not having noble intentions and just being in the mission for the money, and for not coming along right away when they were forming the mission to blow up the Death Star.

Because he was on the morally correct side of the story.

wobbits, afrojedi, Chémus and 12 others like this.
  2. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Poe and Rey were the first people to treat Finn like an actual human being. Poe straight-up refused to dehumanize Finn by calling him by a number and asked Finn's permission to call him by an actual name.

His conversation with Poe indicates that he has been dehumanized his whole life.

TFA Script
    Poe: "I saw it! Hey, what's your name?"
    Finn: "FN-2187!"
    Poe reacts, this tells him volumes about FN-2187's history.
    Poe: "Fn-whaa?"
    Finn: "That's the only name they ever gave me!"
    Poe: "Well, I ain't using it! FN, huh? Finn. I'm going to call you Finn! That all right?"
    Even in the madness, Finn can't suppress his smile.
    Finn: "Finn. Yeah, Finn, I like that! I like that!
    Poe: "I'm Poe. Poe Dameron."
    Finn: "Good to meet you, Poe."
    Poe: "Good to meet you too, Finn!"

On Takodana, he also tells Rey that the reason he lied to her was because he was ashamed of having been a part of the First Order. He lied because of misplaced guilt since we know that he was a slave that never had a real choice in the matter.

Finn: "I'm not Resistance. I'm not a hero. I'm a Stormtrooper. Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know. And raised to do one thing... But my first battle, I made a choice. I wasn't going to kill for them. So I ran. Right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of what I was. But I'm done with the First Order. I'm never going back."

Finn cared about Rey because she was kind and treated/looked at him like he was a person.

Finn's backstory means it makes perfect sense for him to form attachments so quickly to people who treat him like a person. It matters a lot to him because he's been dehumanized his entire life.

It's the same reason that Rey is so moved by Finn coming back for her: she was abandoned by her parents and grew up having to fend for herself.

Finn: "What happened -- did he hurt you?"
    Rey: "Finn. What are you doing here?!"
    Finn: "We came back for you."
    She is speechless -- this is all she's ever wanted anyone to do. Chewie talks -- and Rey's eyes nearly tear up.
    Finn: "What'd he say?"
    Rey shrugs, smiles, though nearly in tears.
    Rey: "... That it was your idea."
    Finn awkwardly smiles. It's his nature. They embrace.
    Rey: "Thank you."

I'm also not going to look poorly on a person who's just escaped life-long slavery for being scared and making poor choices, especially when he's still shown trying to do right by people in spite of his fear and flaws.

For example, he gives the Resistance information about Starkiller Base to help them devise a plan and while he lies about knowing a way to shut down the shields, he always intended on figuring out a way to shut them down when he got onto the base and he proceeds to do just that.

Finn is a flawed but good person who ultimately braves his worst fear to help the people he cares about. It's part of why he's my favorite character in the film.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    wobbits, afrojedi, Chémus and 12 others like this.
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    But it shows an intention that he takes action in, in him to be noble, for someone he doesn't know. I think he isn't shown to have a crush on Rey in that moment. Why does him not being able to save her, make him better? His intentions can still exist irregardless of that.

Why is wanting to help someone based on caring about that person less noble than wanting to help a cause based on caring about that cause? Isn't it something someone cares about still?

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    No.

I just find any attempt to denigrate Finn and to deny his heroism for the sake of creating a false moral equivalence between him and Kylo utterly repugnant and intolerable. I also find an attempt to deny the way his story actually evolves and grows, and how he became a better man across TFA, shortsighted and biased, particularly if, again, Kylo is given special treatment for NOT going through any evolution, but is expected to be treated better, by both the audience and by Rey.

Like, here’s the truth of it:
    Finn started as a henchmen who was supposed to murder and maim on behalf of Kylo, became a person too humane to participate in atrocities but still flawed enough to lie (and hilariously, flawed enough to lie badly), but when the chips were down, again became something more than what he was, a hero who saves people.

And it’s not just that I think it’s repugnant to try and deny heroism where it is to try and equate them to monstrosities so the perpetrators get similar treatment... it’s also that it’s just a lazy and boring way to write a story. If growth doesn’t mean anything, and good and evil wax and wane depending on biases of a writer, how can either complexity or certainty exist?

I mean, a big part of my beef with defenses of TLJ are that they claim the simple, shallow, and static Kylo is “deep” despite a total lack of evidence backing that up, while the film’s infantile, shallow, and regressive story for Finn is defended.

Don’t mix up Dinobot with Megatron in Beast Wars, and don’t mix up Finn with Kylo. One is clearly a. More complex and more moral character than the other, and it’s a disservice to the story and morality to ignore that... as TLJ did.

wobbits, afrojedi, Chémus and 10 others like this.
  5. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    This would be a more compelling story for Finn if the 'became' part didn't happen in the opening minutes of the movie.

Finn works as a character entirely based on Boyega's winsome performance. As a former Stormtrooper, his character makes really no sense, and TFA's script ensures that at every turn he's kept as safe and uncomplicated as humanly possible. He's completely morally pure, with no demons to grapple with, and with absolutely nothing to regret.

Imagine the potential of an actual veteran Stormtrooper who's fought battles for the First Order but refuses to fight anymore when he sees the pain of his comrades. The regrets he could grapple with over the course of the films.

But no. Actually, Jakku is stated to be his first battle ever, so he's actually never hurt anyone in his entire life, even unwillingly, and before that he did a non-combat job that we're going to turn into a joke and an expositional tool.

Also, he's been raised since he was a baby by an authoritarian military state, but he somehow was spat out of this murder-bot-machine as a well adjusted, charming young man who is very big on quipping, and you'd never know he was ever raised as a child by a horrible regime to be a Stormtrooper if the movie didn't make it explicit.

His characterisation makes sense when we realise that they wanted him to be some sort of smuggler type character and they changed it to "Stormtrooper who ran away" but they clearly had no interest at all in devoting significant time or energy to it in TFA's script, and sadly this never improved over either TLJ or TROS, either.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    makare2000 likes this.
  6. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Good grief. Are Kylo fans that desperate that they are resorting to ridiculous levels of bothsidesism nonsense?

7. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Can't argue against any of this because these are points people like myself were making as far back as 2015.

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Thinking about Finn, I wish we’d gotten more insight into just what exactly it was like to be raised in the First Order. We never really get into that world despite several opportunities. I wonder if the directors felt they didn’t have anything to add to what films or books like THX-1138, 1984, and Brave New World have done? Or perhaps they didn’t want to accidentally draw too many parallels to the real world? It’s a missed opportunity in any case.

Thinking of that just now made me imagine a version of Episode VIII that went in a far more abstract direction, where Finn is in his coma for most of the film but we get to actually see into his mind. We see key moments of his past, what it was like to be raised and trained by a dystopic, militaristic technocracy, but we also see Finn confront that past as he reevaluates it, possibly with a version of Rey or Poe who represent a part of him he can talk to along the way as he breaks through layers of conditioning, before finally waking up toward the last third of the film in order to participate in whatever climax that version of the movie would’ve had.

Just a thought. I’m sure it’s an idea with lots of flaws; I don’t love the idea of Finn not taking action for a long period of time. But then again, I do think action can be overrated and sometimes there’s a lot of work that needs to be done internally before taking action. Perhaps it would work as a setup for Finn eventually helping other First Order soldiers turn away from their conditioning.

Anyway, it’s just a weird idea, and maybe “not Star Wars enough,” though of course that was the big chip on Lucasfilm’s shoulder when making these movies. But Finn simply has such an interesting psychological setup, I wish they’d explored it better.

And I’m sure there’s less gimmicky ways of exploring Finn’s background than this silly idea. If the sequels were a TV series rather than movies, maybe using his coma as a means of exploring his past could sort of work. Though it would still be very much a gimmick. Darn it, ‘90s TV, get out of my head!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    afrojedi likes this.
  9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I find I don’t mind Finn being as innocent and well adjusted as he is, all things considered, partly because I feel there’s still plenty of fear and terror left over in him for dramatic purposes, but also because it also helps make him the opposite of Kylo even more; here, I’m talking more about their functions as foils to each other in TFA than anything about the other films.

By all rights, Ben Solo should have emerged as a comparatively well adjusted, charming and virtuous person. Instead, he’s an angst-riven mess of a killer. By all rights, FN-2187 should have emerged as a hard-edged remorseless killer. Instead, he’s virtuous person who takes some time to become a hero... but still becomes a good man and a good friend along the way.

And I don’t mind that.

It might be because I can compare Finn to the clonetroopers and other ex-stormtrooper characters like Kylo Katarn in the Legends EU. Rex, Fives, and other clonetroopers were charming, compassionate, and good-natured in spite of being dehumanized, mass-produced units of the same man, while Kyle Katarn emerged from Imperial training still righteous enough to end up an archetypal Rebellion hero. When compared to guys like Rex, Fives, Cut Lawquane (who deserted the clone army in a manner not too dissimilar form Finn)... is FN-2187 really an impossible outlier?

Of course, for a different, somewhat more abstract comparison between Finn and Kylo across all three films... I think they both depend on different creative philosophies for their appeal. Kylo belongs to a more angsty, bitter, and cynical world, while Finn belongs to a more inspirational, optimistic, and hopeful world. Kylo, either as a simple clear villain or as a sympathetic anti-villain, would fit more in an Image comic from the 90s. Finn, with his more simply uplifting subversion of the henchmen story, could show up in a Jack Kirby comic from the 70s, or a Superman comic in the 90s, or a Batman comic under Denny O’Neill.

...This probably explains some of my apathy towards Kylo: my favorite character, Finn, is an optimistic, inspirational character rooted in the more fun type of escapism, while Kylo is rooted in the more eye-rollingly “edgy” type of escapism I associate with fanfiction featuring Raven from Zoids or Sasuke from Naruto.

A better Star Wars comparison may be this: Finn in TFA is based off the same kind of escapist drama as TCW Anakin, who’s charm and adjustment seem far greater compared to PT Anakin’s escapist drama, where angst and sullen attitude are more the norm. Note: both TCW and PT Anakin still show the transformation into Vader, and are capable of chillingly dark attitude and dramatic storytelling - its more that TCW Anakin is more fun when not being dramatic and is quicker to take action outright, like Finn in TFA.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That some people appear to be attempting to hold Finn to a higher moral standard than Kylo Ren is...problematic, to say the least.

wobbits, afrojedi, Chémus and 10 others like this.
  11. GDGJ

GDGJ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2016
    One gets scared but ultimately does the right thing; the other becomes a serial killer because his mum had a full time job.

certain fans: they’re the same!

12. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Finn was selfish and only done everything because of Rey. Kylo was manipulated by Snoke right from when he was born.

13. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Finn was taken from his family at a young age and raised to be cannonfodder by a regime that dehumanized him to such an extent that he wasn't even allowed a name. After being unable to kill innocent people, he deserts and meets an enemy pilot who treats him like a human being. After they crash, he's unable to locate him, much to his distress. He eventually runs into a scavenger and lies to her about his identity because he feels ashamed that he used to be a stormtrooper, even though it's established that being a stormtrooper was never his choice meaning he lies out of a sense of misplaced guilt.

The two end up helping each other escape from a First Order bombing and have two miniature adventures together. He later admits the truth to her and leaves because he's terrified of the organization that kidnapped him as a child and has committed numerous atrocities including that he bore firsthand witness to. He asks her to come with him, but she refuses and the two part ways. After seeing said organization deploy a planet-wide genocide weapon, he rushes back to find her and after a fight, he witnesses her being kidnapped.

He offers the Resistance all the information he has on Starkiller Base, which helps them formulate a plan of attack. He then lies his way onto the mission so he can be sure that his friend is saved. He is terrified of the First Order, but he still doesn't hesitate to confront his worst fear for the safety of his friend. On the base, he admits that he lied but that he intends on keeping his word. He later proves this by figuring out a way to disable the shields and provides further intel. He delays finding his friend for the sake of helping the Resistance first.

He is reunited with his friend and later, they witness their mutual companion die at the hands of his son. While trying to defend themselves against said son, Finn fights him to protect his unconscious friend, which gives her enough time to wake up.

Finn is so frightened by the First Order that it motivates him to run and yet, his love for his friend motivates him to face his worst fear for the sake of making sure she's safe, even if it means squaring off against an opponent that he knows he cannot beat.

But yes, Finn is a selfish person. I mean, just look at some of the things he does in the film!

Look at him refusing to gun down innocent civilians!

Look at him run across that long desert stretch in the heat to help Poe - a man that he barely knows!

Look at him run and embrace Poe because he's just so relieved that this stranger is alive and well!

Look at him show concern for his friend after she was captured!

Look at him shout in horror as his friend is tossed into a tree and look at him as he picks a lightsaber to protect her!

Look at him end the film in a coma because he so selfishly tried to save another person!

My god, audience, I have never seen so selfish a person before!

Being motivated by the selfless love for another human being is the most selfish motivation of all!

Kylo Ren was manipulated by Snoke since birth!

Finn was just kidnapped and dehumanized his whole life by the First Order!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    This actually is a good compare/contrast for both characters: they both had to deal with Snoke/Palpatine trying to manipulate and brainwash them into weapons and tools for his usage from before they were even fully-cognizant toddlers, even tot he extent of both being stripped of their original ID and being encouraged to kill...

...But Finn, the one going through the "cog in the machine" brainwashing that was very much trying to dehumanize him even to himself, broke free when pressed to commit atrocities and never really looked back, while Ben, the one going through the "you should be like your grandfather" brainwashing promising to make him powerful, wound up succumbing hard enough that the only atrocities that even seemed to earn a reaction form him were those against his immediate family - and even then, not enough to stop him.

It really speaks to the more banal and weak nature of Ben Solo as a person compared to the bravery and strength of Finn.

15. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Finn really is the "Nobody" going up against Kylo Ren. Both on the wrong side, one broke free, the other didn't. He was a far better foil for everything Kylo Ren represented, in terms of what TLJ was trying to sell as legacy vs. nobody, anyway.

wobbits, afrojedi, Chémus and 6 others like this.
  16. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    That's not said or shown in the movies.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Which only makes it worse, because that means he turned to the dark side because reasons.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay... just some fun shootin’ the breeze here...

...Let’s say you get the chance to oversee the project that shows Finn as a Jedi. What kind of lightsaber do you give him?

My proposal: lightsaber tonfas, with him using his previous training.

19. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I want him to have a green lightsaber. I love the blue, but the ST had so much blue. Let's get some green in there. Finn would look good with green.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Heh...

...It just occurred to me that if you really wanted to have some kind of symbolic “make-up” for Finn’s treatment in the latter parts of the ST...

...Luke’s green saber is still unaccounted for.

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm kinda over the whole "exotic lightsaber" thing. A single green blade. Blue is over-used, and purple would drawn too many Mace Windu comparisons.

22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The entire problem with everything that you wrote their is not a single aspect of what you wrote about Kylo is ever presented on screen. We get one reference to him hearing voices at some point that’s it. It simply fails to work as a comparison between Finny and Kylo because the films never decided on anything with regards to Kylo’s backstory.

23. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Kylo is shown as conflicted and struggles between dark and light. Finn however is cheerful and and doesn't seem like someone who was brainwashed from the start. Clearly he was not manipulated like Kylo was.

Finn constantly whoops and cheers a minute after escaping with Poe. Kylo is constantly struggling with his emotions and was manipulated by Snoke very deeply.

Kylo is shown as conflicted and struggles between dark and light. Finn however is cheerful and and doesn't seem like someone who was brainwashed from the start. Clearly he was not manipulated like Kylo was.

Finn constantly whoops and cheers a minute after escaping with Poe. Kylo is constantly struggling with his emotions and was manipulated by Snoke very deeply.

24. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    None of that is said or shown in the movie. Kylo talks about being conflicted, along with other saying it, and he pouts, but I think never actually expresses a lot of real conflict in actions in the first 2 movies.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would add to this, the idea that Finn deserves condemnation because “he whoops and doesn’f act like he’s brainwashed,” but Kylo deserves to get away with murder because “he was conflicted” and “Snoke manipulated him.” Pretty easy to see why the double standard exists.

I’m going to show my age here but when I hear about Kylo being “conflicted” and Snoke “manipulating” him, my reaction is “Here’s a quarter, call someone who cares.”

Or better and more ageless—“Cool motive, still murder.” Except that it’s not even a cool motive. It’s ‘But look at my FEEW-INGS’ and ‘But he MADE me.’