main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I can only comment on what I see on the screen, i.e. nothing. Rey is like the girl you might have hanging around with you and the guys when you’re at high school and all the guys might like to date her because she rocks at video games and likes guy stuff, but none of them have a chance. [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

2. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I didn't get a romantic vibe from Rey with anyone.

Finn clearly cares about her, first and foremost as a friend, but with room for more.

And with Kylo Ren, it seemed more about them having a strong connection due to their circumstances (both feeling alone) and eventually caring for each other as people. Attraction and romantic feelings are in there eventually, but to me, it doesn't feel like the primary motivator, nor the 'point' of Rey trying to save Ben or vice versa.

And that's why the kiss at the end feels more like a moment of happiness first and foremost, a celebration of good prevailing over evil, rather than romance, although that is an element (It's not like I thought they wouldn't have pursued something romantically should Ben had lived).

3. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Someone mentioned Alan Dean Foster, and I've heard he was pushing a Luke/Leia romance in his sequel to ANH. If you think about Luke/Leia in ANH, it's similar to Finn/Rey in that it's very "wholesome" and understated, to where it's not a huge part of either character because the focus is on the adventure.

They were both later abandoned pairings; Luke and Leia later became siblings, and Leia was paired with Han while Luke remained single.

There was no ill-will involved; Lucas was finding the story as he went along and that's just how the romance aspect landed once that story was finalized. All characters involved are white, each of them were treated with care and respect, and all of the actors appeared satisfied with the outcome of their story (I guess aside from Harrison wanting Han to die or whatever).

It can be argued something similar happened to Finn and Rey if that option was ever considered, but we can't ignore the elephant in the room when it comes to John being black. There's too much history that works against black/white interracial pairings, and even taking romance out of it, Finn got sidelined and disrespected by LF at every possible opportunity, ending in vocal displeasure from John.

Maybe none of this was racially motivated, maybe there was never an intention for Rey to be in a romantic relationship, maybe Finn/Rey just didn't garner the type of engagement they were looking for, maybe LF was salty that John was cast as male lead in TFA over Adam and felt no obligation to JJ's cast choices.

Regardless, I'd rather they say why they sidelined him instead of pretending it didn't happen. I'll probably still curse LF and KK Kennedy for what they did until they put me in the ground, but at least there would be closure instead of speculation and arguing in circles.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The other elephant in the room, of course, is the rather sexist, parasitic, and toxic way that Rey’ interactions with Kylo unfolded, as that also casts Finn being replaced as Rey’s most important companion and co-protagonist in an even worse light as well.

It would be one thing if Kylo were developed into a complex character with a genuinely sympathetic background and strong, structured reason for Rey to treat him with such exceptional mercy and engagement; at least then, the issue would be entirely one of just failing to follow up on anything with it. And it wouldn’t even be an issue at all if that happened but there was still an ambitious, complex arc for Finn carried on that genuinely worked well in complementary fashion with Rey and Kylo’s story.

But because of the way things unfolded... the best case scenario is that LFL/Johnson were so apathetic about Rey and Finn that they just accidentally trashed them both, and that they were somewhat lazily focused on Kylo in a way that made them blind to how they were hurting the story and character with their coddling of him. But it gets harder to believe that we’re in the best case scenario when stuff like Rose and the Dyad imply that at least someone at LFL genuinely thought that a toxic, abusive, and damagingly bad romance between Rey and her mass-murdering tormentor was both 1) better than a wholesome intimate friendship with a black escaped slave, and 2) threatened enough by that relationship to try and create a whole new character to serve as a new love interest and pull him away from her.

Shadao, Lobot's Wig, afrojedi and 6 others like this.
  5. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    Exactly. They might've been able to avoid the bad racial/gender optics if all of the characters still felt like equals, but there was a clear exceptionalism and willingness to bend the story in favor of Kylo/Driver whenever possible after TFA (while at the same time deleting massive swaths of John's role) and it makes the outcome highly suspect.

My only hope is that the fanbase legitimately cares enough to not let Disney live it down and continue to make money off the sequel era while continuing to ignore/downplay Finn. But I fear over time people will just go back to sleep, the TLJ/Rian/Driver stans will once again take over the narrative after enough time has passed, and people will go back to not giving a **** about Finn/John so LF can just continue treating him as a trusty sidekick and nothing more.

6. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I think the love interest angle can be damaging to characters all around. The dyad works just as well with a sibling/twin dynamic as it does with a married couple. Perhaps even more so, and thematically that would make more sense. If it weren’t for that darned kiss!

Having said that, I also liked Finn and Rey’s friendship more as another sibling dynamic rather than anything romantic. But that’s mainly because I’m tired of there always being some kind of romantic angle in stories. Though maybe it’s also because I’m biased and much prefer Finn/Poe instead. I mean, that lip did not bite itself.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Sauron_18 A siblings/cousins story line with the dyad for Rey and Kylo to me would have worked better. Or a backstory where they were friends training together before Kylo fell to the Dark Side could also have worked well for me. I also think it would've helped to introduce the concept of the dyad more organically throughout the ST rather than dumping it on the audience in the middle of TROS. Also, making the dyad more explicitly linked to balancing the Force and possibly connecting it to the Prime Jedi symbol might have worked well thematically for me. That to me would've allowed the ST to explore some more interesting and meaningful themes and philosophy. It's an example of how I think with a bit of refinement or conceptual changes, the ST could've been a lot more pleasing to me and better able to form a complete, cohesive saga with the PT and the OT.

I liked Finn's friendship with Rey as well as his friendship with Poe. To me, Finn had a great chemistry and bond. I always enjoy all the banter and emotion of their scenes together. So, I would've been fine with Rey not getting together with Finn romantically, although after TFA, I really thought that if Rey was going to get together with anyone it would be Finn, whereas I never thought Disney would pair Rey with Kylo.

I don't need a romantic angle in every story. In fact, I'm like you in that I'm kind of tired of it and especially I don't need to see every female protagonist paired off with someone when she is still fairly young. I am all for including female characters who end the story happy and confident in their single state, and with a Jedi that character arc can work just fine. I don't really think the Jedi necessarily need romantic arcs, and apart from that, there are asexual people who are entitled to representation in media as well, so there would have been nothing wrong with making Rey asexual and not interested in anyone romantically or sexually.

However, I will always strongly disagree with the ST's decision to have Rey give a big kiss to Kylo and I think if the choice was made to have Rey kiss anyone it should've been Finn.

Again, she didn't have to kiss anyone, but since Disney decided she should, I'm mystified that Kylo was chosen over Finn. After TFA, I expected Rey and Finn to be a couple, so I was shocked that the next two installments chose to go in the Rey/Kylo direction instead. [face_dunno]

8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    An important thing to note about the whole Alan Dean Foster book is that it's based off the script where Han Solo doesn't come back. When Harrison decided to come back the whole idea of the sequel completely changed

9. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    Finn is trending on Twitter. LF keeps posting performative statements about Black lives every year, and then they rightly get their asses nailed to the wall when people bring up Finn.

I think it would be in their best interest to stay silent about their "commitment to diversity" until they release a statement on the Finn/John situation, release the deleted scenes of TROS, announce something substantial involving Finn, and/or come clean about their BTS drama involving him. Otherwise, I'm not sure they'll ever have peace in regards to "diversity" statements.

What made this such a huge mistake for them is that John was cast and marketed as a lead in TFA, then slowly got reduced so badly that he ended up as a side character with an unfinished arc in TROS. They can't ignore this and still expect us to believe them when they say they are committed to equality.

They may have gotten away with it in some spinoff movie, but a Black lead in the main saga, demeaned and taken away from those of us who wanted it? That's gonna sting for years to come.

Shadao, afrojedi, Troopa212 and 9 others like this.
  10. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    I don't think they will, though. Boyega choosing to "sit down and talk" to them probably reinforces the idea (to them) that they did something substantial enough to dare say anything about MLK day (among other things) and diversity (still).

11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Companies and individuals (especially politicians) being tone-deaf on MLK is par for the course unfortunately.

12. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Completely unrelated to Finn, but regarding the possible romance, I thought the end of TLJ seemed like it set up Poe and Rey to some degree. They definitely seemed to have some chemistry, but maybe it was just Oscar Isaac who I think has a different level of charisma than anyone else in these films. I think the Duel of the Fates outline had them together as well actually.

13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    That scene (and the Finn/Rose scenes) screamed to me that they were trying to set up a non Black/White relationship at any costs. That's what I took out of that TLJ moment.

14. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Finn and John are both still trending. Even though it sucks what was done to his character, I'm glad he continues to trend and people aren't shying away from talking about how dirty he was done.

afrojedi, 2Cleva, Def Trooper and 8 others like this.
  15. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    Call me weird, but I'm not a fan of Finn fanart where he has the resistance logo tattooed on his person somewhere (or shaved into his hair), or a giant version of it on his clothes. It just irks me for some reason.

The scene was intentionally directed like that by Rian Johnson at the request of Colin Trevorrow, who intended to pair Poe up with Rey in his Episode IX script, Duel of the Fates. There are a few interviews where Trevorrow talks about it (the Empire Online article might be the easiest to find).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    mtt02263 and Troopa212 like this.
  16. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    It was an awkward scene too. Rey didn't seem destined for anybody. She came across as so sexless and chaste that I thought she would end up as one of those nuns on Luke's island.

mtt02263 likes this.
  17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The brief, barely there dialogue exchange is emerging from an earlier TFA draft/the novelization, right?

I remember some people reading that exchange as hinting at a romance even before it got directed and put on screen. And I *can* see where someone thinks that Isaac has the kind of charisma to sell a romance with desk furniture, if need be.

But Trevorrow confirming he was giving Rey Poe as a romantic interest with his scripts, and with the inelegant but clearly deployed creation of Rose, it all comes off as a phobic reaction against the possibility of Rey and Finn.

It doesn’t feel like just a lack of interest in the idea, largely because if the way Johnson and others tried to promote Rose as Finn’s love interest without really trying to make it work and because if you didn’t think Reylo was going to work, than there’s not really any reason to go for a new relationship entirely with Poe (which also pairs Rey with a different older pale-skinned dude) in the very last movie. If you really want her to be a chaste character (which I actually don’t think either Abrams and Johnson ever really thought about), than why give her a love interest at all?

When the “best case scenario” is Johnson and others being scared of Finn threatening Rey and Kylo’s relationship on even just a platonic level, and every other successive level pretty much has to involve some degree of racism... that’s a bad situation.

Shadao, afrojedi, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  18. Triad Moons

Jan 14, 2020
    Nope. Despite the similarity in dialog, that definitely wasn't Trevorrow's scene.

19. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    A good overall story might have been linking Rey romantically with Finn early on, only for Luke to remind her during her training that if she truly wants to be a Jedi, which she would need to be to defeat Kylo Ren, she would have to let Finn go.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  20. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    Minding my own business and checking twitter and I see Finn is trending.
    I have enough things to get angry about without reminding me of this twitter.
    Also, it would have been nice if people noticed this situation while the movies were still happening.
    Is better late than never I guess.

Blastaar, afrojedi, Troopa212 and 2 others like this.
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    While that would at least initially make it more a classic argument about the whole “heroism ruins your love life” thing (of which the celibacy argument is simply a further extrapolation in a dramatic sense)...

...You are still running the risk of making it seem like “better the white girl be celibate than date the black guy.”[face_laugh]

Honestly, if the idea was to try making the celibacy argument again, then the safest route would be to simply neither tease romance with Finn nor overreact in a mad panic against the only really healthy relationship she has with a peer by trying to paint it as bad for a few minutes (TLJ) and shove other love interests at both of them.

22. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    Cool video. I will never forgive the sequel trilogy.

23. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I like the part in Highlander where Ramirez warns McLeod that to spare his own heartbreak, better to leave Heather now. Of course he doesn’t and the themes would be different, but that premise of being asked to give up somebody that you love would have made for an interesting story angle.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And normally, it would just be the old argument about that type of "heroic angst" storytelling, which I usually find somewhat tired and unoriginal, but can usually understand. When done well (which is rare) it can add some genuine melancholy to a story; when done badly, it's just frustratingly unimaginative pseudo-depth thrown in by weak writers. Highlander actually handled that part well. The CW superhero shows do not.

...But the problem here is you can't tease a progressive rarity in pop-culture (a black guy and white girl romance) only to renege on it, even in an honest attempt at regular drama. Because it's not just the usual pitfalls of the "Can't fall in love" story you'd have to square with, but also the optics and unintentional implications of having most relationships in the films get consummated until you reach the one that would make some idiots uncomfortable.

It's why if you weren't going to do any romance with them, you'd be better off just not teasing it at all while still maintaining the strong found family storyline and emotional intimacy between them in a platonic sense. While rejecting it in an overreaction and panicking as LFL did is pathetic and rather loathsome, showing it to the audience as a possibility only to then make an explicit story about how *NOW*, when it's a rare pairing in media, we're going to enforce the often dubiously defended and heavily criticized celibacy policy on the hero? Still rather insulting.

25. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    It was worse in the sense that they played up Finn's one-sided attraction to Rey. They had no problems with Finn being obsessed with her, constantly yelling her name, desperate to find and be with her. Finn's dignity wasn't Disney's concern (on many fronts), they wanted everything to play out as it did. I'll never buy that they didn't know or understand how it would be conveyed.