main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    With respect, you often display a very selective memory about what is posted, which is odd when you consider that posts remain up for posterity and back reference. In post #5521 was me who asked, not accused, whether this was or was not an appreciation thread (i.e. a thread that typically only allows positive posts) after I saw a person getting banned for what appeared to be harmless criticism, later clarified that using the same font colour as a moderator was his crime.

2. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    No, I’m saying that this isn’t the first time you have tried it on with your nonsense.

3. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    TLJ's highlight dramatic moments are far superior to those of TLJ, particularly where Finn is concerned. I like seeing Finn actually win things and be the focus of his own storyline, as opposed to just being an elaborate piece of bait to illustrate to the audience that Rey is really the chosen one.

At least TLJ had Finn actually beat people *shrug*. I wasn't particularly impressed by watching him flail around trying to hit a wounded and weakened Kylo Ren. Heck, he's so outclassed he misses someone whose gutshot entirely in one swing. The moment he lands a superficial hit Kylo instantly ends him with contemptuous ease. He was actually being toyed with the entire time. I remember watching that fight with unease, because at that point I knew where it was going, and I was simply resigned and worried as to which body part he would lose.

And which of those achievements are entirely Finns? Like I can't think of a single one. Like I'm supposed to be impressed that he got Poe off the Finalizer. What, was Kylo Ren watching him the entire time? All he did was literally con one Stormtrooper and walk into a hangar. Wow. Even that is played for laughs. You don't remember when he solemnly intones that "it's the right thing to do" and then Poe correctly recognises that he's bull****ting because Finn can't fly starfighters?

Being an elaborate bait and switch in service of the real protagonist and never getting to do anything remotely cool isn't respect in my book. The notion that the movie is afraid of how charismatic and likeable he is is baffling to me. There's no remotely noteworthy difference between his treatment in TFA and TLJ in that respect. Similarly, this idea that the movie is somehow afraid to 'pair him with Rey' like this was somehow the natural place for the narrative to go post TFA is ... how would this work?

Maybe TFA shouldn't have had Finn in a coma and sent them both to Luke Skywalker. But it was never going to do that because that wasn't the story, ever.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Lobot's Wig likes this.
  4. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Anyone seen this amazing video by Okiro?

harlequinn823 and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  5. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    Yeah. It's a mixed bag, not particularly persuasive. Some of its fair, some of it isn't. He's got some weird takes and blind spots, but I guess all fans do. He's big on making very ... generous takes that sometimes delve into outright propaganda.

He's very big on 'Force sensitive Finn was in TFA' JJ Abrams apologia which I just have zero time for.

For example, I remember him recently saying that Alan Dean Foster attempting to put hints of a Finn/Rey romance into the novelization of TFA was vindication that such a romance was 'always intended' - when Alan Dean Foster's comments demonstrate the exact opposite was true (just like John Boyega himself has said and just like Daisy Ridley has said for quite some time). It's something he inserted because he thought that's what TFA's script was going for, and when Lucasfilm saw it they told him to take it out. That's many things but its not 'always intended'. It's "what? no."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Lobot's Wig likes this.
  6. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I never saw any sexual chemistry between Finn and Rey, long before Kylo took off his helmet, they seemed to be more like a brother and sister. Perhaps it was due to the off screen friendship between Ridley and Boyega.
    I don't think Finn 'suffered' under Rian Johnson in TLJ, in fact I think he gave him a better character arc than TFA - Finn had his own story there instead of being Rey's sidekick. The character was horrendously used in TROS.
    Regarding racism....Finn's 'predecessor' Sam, was originally meant to be white, so I don't think any mishandling of the character was due to race. If anyone was a victim of racism in the ST it was Kelly - a lot of Asian viewers were thrilled to see an Asian actress with a major role in TLJ. I can only imagine their anger and disappointment with TROS.

7. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    Yeah, Daisy said that herself in TFA promo.

8. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    I used to be active on another forum, but I quit because I didn't get on with one of the moderators.

9. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    This isn't about getting on or not getting on with moderators, I don't know them. I would just respectfully expect that posts aren't quite so repeatedly misrepresented, whether deliberately or not.

10. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    No male character written as viewing a female character like a sister asks her if she “has a cute boyfriend.” None.

Had Finn been cast as white there’d have been no doubt as to whether he and Rey were supposed to be romantic, (whether or not one liked them as a couple). None.

And the fact that a character was once - in the conceptual stages - white has no bearing on whether treatment of the character in his realized form was racist. None.

11. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    Neither does a male character who has just finished defecting from the military authoritarian regime who kidnapped him as a child. It's a terrible line that doesn't make much sense for the character. TFA's writing not matching up with what it's doing isn't surprising. But that's a seperate issue as to whether one sees chemistry.

Sure there would have been. There's very little in TFA's text that would inexorably lead to a romantic connection, and the performance is ambiguous enough so that anyone can see whatever they want depending on what they focus on.

Rachel Weisz and Brendan Fraser in the Mummy, it ain't.

Finn's got more chemistry with Poe in TFA than he does with Rey, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Lobot's Wig likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure you can blame the audience for having to interpret mixed messages and coming up with scenario A as opposed to scenario B... and whilst clearly (IMHO), the relationship between Rey and Finn is far from being clear, there's enough going on for a possible 'romance' to be implied (although I did't necessarily see that myself).

Yes - I agree with that... and I did wonder if Johnson was going to run with that in TLJ. I think Boyega brings the most chemistry to the individual relationship dynamics... be it the Finn/Rey, Finn/Poe or Finn/Han Solo. And from an acting/chemistry point of view, I think Finn would have been the best central lead for the trilogy.

13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Things change. Luke certainly looked proud of himself after making out with his sister in Empire :p

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    “Things change.”

Yes. That’s the point. Things changed.

And those in a position to know what actually happened pointed to racism as the culprit.

Although that’s different from denying that a romance was set up between Finn and Rey in TFA. One can not be a fan of a romantic pairing without wholesale denying its existence. Unfortunately, unconscious bias is a powerful thing, including as applied to taboos against interracial romance, both irl and in movies.

Again - if Finn were white everyone would have assumed that he and Rey would be the romantic pairing of the trilogy.

15. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I wouldn't, with what was presented. Also reinforcing this is the fact that Rey was set up as the "Luke Skywalker" of The Force Awakens, a facsimile of A New Hope.

As such, much like her Originally Trilogy counterpart, as the "Jedi" character I didn't' expect her to be romantically involved with anybody. I would have expected those duties to fall to the other two characters making up the new trio, Finn and Poe.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Boyega literally had the best chemistry with BB-8, a rotund remote-operated puppet. Dude has charisma pouring out of his... pores.

But I do think that Abrams specifically focused on emphasizing and redoubling the chemistry between Ridley and Boyega for Rey and Finn in TFA because he regarded that relationship as the beating heart of the Sequel Trilogy above everything else, whether it was purely platonic or not, and on a level that wasn’t really comparable to the other relationships.

And that, more than anything, I think is what made Rey and Finn seem a plausible romantic pairing, even if that wasn’t in the final cards in Abrams’s mind for TFA; heck, to some extent, I kind of assumed that Finn was just as likely to end the ST single as Rey was, because I figured they wouldn’t want to overshadow even a platonic relationship between them, given the emphasis Abrams gave it.

In fact, if we consider Finn as being composed originally of pretty much every “Sam”/Skylar trait from the earliest drafts except for the Solo lineage that went to the Jedi Killer for Kylo, a platonic central bond with Rey would fit, because she was likely a Solo as well at that stage.

But I think the thing that worried Johnson and LFL was that when you removed the family connection, the next most intuitive thing is, of course, romance... and I think that for various reasons running from the pathetic but understandable (“We can’t let the last Skywalker just hang in the background!”) to the cynically d
    ...is likely joined by this: “The male character Rey spends the most time with is most likely to be her romantic partner if any.”

And thus, Johnson went about trying to ensure that the latter idea wouldn’t happen at all, and exposed a unconscious bias similar to the first - that Kylo being white was a de facto though unconscious point in his favor as a romantic lead for Rey.

And he just happened to overplay his hand with Rose, a character he was clearly apathetic towards just as much as he was apathetic towards Finn, but who exists primarily as an exposition tool and as a warm body to shove Finn at.

It’s a decision making process that kind fo screwed over three actors: Boyega by demoting him and demeaning his performance, Ridley by stripping away any believability for her character, and Kelly Marie Tran by giving her an unworkable character that ignored her prodigious talent.

17. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Not me.
    I judge by the chemistry between the leads, not skin colour.

18. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I don't agree with this all. It isn't Rian Johnson's fault he used the cast which was presented to him. He didn't cast the characters. Nor is it Rian's fault he inherited a story which ended up such a literal cliffhanger, that the only real story place to jump off from was "Later that day...."

He had to resolve Rey meeting Luke, as that meeting had been left unspoken in The Force Awakens. He also inherited a story then where Finn was on the other side of the Galaxy in a coma.

Therefore, Rey and Finn being split up was not only a natural progression of where The Force Awakens left them, but in terms of the Sequel Trilogy's rather shameless mirroring of the Original Trilogy, followed The Empire Strikes Back in doing something similar.

Rian's story was pretty specific, and if it were a TV series, it would be the "Luke-centric" episode, mid-season. Sure enough, that is possibly a problem for a three movie story arc rather than say, a ten episode TV series which has time to flesh out the story and do one of those "unconnected-to-the-main-plot-tangent-episodes" which the Last Jedi feels like.

But this stuff about Finn being the black character being moved aside because of dark forces conspiring to keep the character away from Rey, when you see the very specific story Rian was trying to tell, just feels like nonsense to me.

You're a considered and intelligent sounding guy, I'm surprised that you entertain this notion to be honest.

Vympel likes this.
  19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, I don't really see the actors, or the characters, as having 'chemistry', when one is strapped to a table while the other tortures them. I don't really think Luke and Vader, or the actors who played them, had chemistry either. And they were actually related. They're not supposed to. They're on opposite sides of the conflict. They supposed to have anti-chemistry, if anything. They're supposed to be opposites in most ways. That's why there's a conflict. They're not supposed to bond in the same way MH interacts with HF, and CF.

DR's chemistry with JB actually exists, not only between the actors, but also between the characters.

20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Good guys and bad guys can have chemistry fine.

21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Not in this case.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I know there are at least some for whom Finn’s skin color was the primary reason they discounted it right off the back, whether consciously or subconsciously - humanity is like that, and it generally locks in with opinions on Finn and Kylo pretty explicitly - but I think the more key question here has to do the point you made: how we as audience members perceive chemistry.

And that’s where I think things can, in a healthier discussion, became more philosophical about art and human nature.

Make no mistake, I still think the content of the script matters more in regards to the ST romance, both realized and hypothetical (I’m never going to think there’s anything good in the script for Reylo), BUT! The chemistry of the actors and characters can be evaluated separate from that. Boyega and Ridley have chemistry - that’s undeniable, though the type of chemistry is debated. Abrams and others have made it explicit that was something they sought to harness in TFA... and yes, I would argue it’s a much more prolific and noted chemistry than Driver and Ridley, primarily because Dirver isn’t directed to actually build it, but just kind of generally brood.

But I’d agree it’s quite intuitive and natural on many fans part to think that Rey and Finn are definitely leaning more towards the Hera/Kanan (Rebels) or Thane/Cierra (Lost Stars) line of romantic possibility - an intense and intimate friendship that easily transitions to romance when the writer introduces the final element of mutually acknowledged attraction.

But I also know there are people who automatically reject that line of thought, either out of personal experience or dramatic preference. And every fandom has that breakdown, where some fans immediately reject the healthiest, sweetest relationship out of hand and gravitate towards more conflicted ones.

...But I would argue the issue is greatly exacerbated by race in the ST’s case. The chemistry between Boyega and Ridley in TFA was harnessed way too well, and way too successful, for the sheer amount o insistence it couldn’t possibly exist. It gets suspicious because it tends to be way to brittle and thin skinned online, and way too easily associated with people attacking Boyega.

23. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Not directed at you specifically, but “unconscious bias” is, by definition, unconscious, and one’s views can be affected by it even if one thinks one “doesn’t see race,” so to speak.

Also, whether or not two characters are set up to be a couple has nothing to do with chemistry. I’m sure we’ve all seen plenty of movies where the romantic leads had no chemistry but were still very clearly written to be romantically interested in each other.

Whether or not one likes Finn/Rey as a couple has nothing to do with one recognizing that they were intended to be a couple. The unconscious bias comes more into play re whether one even sees it onscreen.

24. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    They may have had chemistry, as a "buddy pair", bouncing off one another maybe. But it never crosses over that threshold into becoming a romantic, sexual attraction type affair between them. It was never written that way for them either. Here is Boyega talking to Variety in 2016 from Cannes.

Vympel likes this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Out of curiosity..What do you think JB would say of Rey and Kylo's chemistry in 7? Was that supposed to be sexual?