main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I saw it as budding romance, based on a whole movie of them getting to know each other and forming a friendship. Finn's line about you got boyfriend, kind of set that up. I sat in the theater, seeing the kiss and thought, "damn, Disney is going for interracial romance." You don't really see that often. It's still kind of taboo in Hollywood. For some reason.

And then they backtracked from that faster than can be. For some reason.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly.

I also took “You looked at me like no one else has” as a precursor to romance.

Too bad somebody somewhere decided bigots were more important than they actually are and that their opinions should matter.

3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I didn't notice the voice over originally but par for the course with systematic racism.

4. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Let it be known that Disney would rather set their strong female protagonist up with a violent kinslaying space fascist who tried to kill her and bring chaos to the galaxy than her black friend.

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To point this out, it’s not just a lack of follow through that makes this suspicious - frankly, if LFL wanted Rey to not have Finn as a love interest, and that was that, then they could have just ordered him made into a Not-Love Interest for her, with the same emotional emphasis and just no explicitly romantic aspects.

It’s the way they reacted so hard against even the possibility by pimping Rey out to Kylo and creating, then limiting, Rose for a role as a bland tertiary love interest for Finn who they clearly didn’t really think out beyond some convenient usage she had.

6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think moreso individual choices, potentially, of racism.

Sudooku likes this.
  7. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    It's crazy to imagine that scene without the voiceover line and how that would affect the discourse post-TFA. I'm sure many people would still see them as nothing more than friends, and that's well within their rights, but I don't think we would've gotten all the demeaning comments about Finn, and the pairing would've had much more support vs Reylo. When a woman sits by a man's bedside and stares longingly at him, says they'll meet again, then simply kisses him and leaves, that seems to scream "romance" in a way Disney was likely very uncomfortable with.

Something I didn't notice until recently is if you look up the soundtrack for Finn's confession on Youtube, it's full to the brim with old comments about how people enjoyed the pairing and thought they would end up together. It's both heartwarming and frustrating to see the support that the two were getting early on (romantic or otherwise) compared to the utter disdain or indifference they receive now. Truly amazing how LF ****ed up something that could've easily been decent had they not swerved off a cliff.

8. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Just to be be sure to have understood it correctly: With "Voice over" you mean that the lines "Thank you, my friend" were introduced only later into the novelization to friend-zonize Finn, or were they cut out from the movie afterwards to friend-zonize him?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    could still happen, sometimes wonder if out-universe if plan is Finn-Rey together to pass down Skywalker surname. Finn has no surname......conveniant.

would have prefered if Skywalker name had died with Luke but it didn't.....what can you do.

its kinda dumb for Rey to take Skywalker name, just for her to be last one.....then what was point of her taking it?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  10. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    Alan Dean Foster said in an interview right after TROS that Disney/LF had him remove hints of a Finn/Rey romantic attraction from his TFA novelization. The user in the tweet I linked drew a possible connection between that incident and the fact that the "my friend" line seemed to be added in post-production rather than being part of the original scene as it was filmed. We'll never know for certain what happened without transparency from LF on the subject, but based on the downright bizarre level of separation of Finn from Rey after TFA and LF throwing Finn under a bus at every opportunity, its easy to assume some level of deliberate sabotage against the character.

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I believe the supposition is that Rey’s last line, originally, was “We’ll see each other again… I believe that…” (forehead kiss), then an editorial mandate may have commanded the “thank you, my friend” line was added in the novelization and by ADR to the film.

And I can see where the theory makes sense; while a forehead kiss is still pretty chaste overall, a heartfelt promise to be reunited and then a pregnant silence before a forehead kiss would read as most likely romantic in most scenarios, while having a “clarifying” line proclaiming friendship would more likely define the relationship as platonic instead.

Not that it can be said for certain without more clear, likely LFL-forbidden information about the ST’s development, mind you… but it’s hard to not think that Rey and Finn’s interactions in TFA are built on a romantic plane, and it’s rather astonishing that their relationship still feels more sincere and genuinely intimate than the official relationship between Rey and Kylo.

Add in how Trevorrow threw in the Poe romance as an option in his DOTF script, and it feels quite a bit like LFL specifically didn’t want Rey and Finn just as much as they specifically wanted Rey and Kylo.
    There was a time where I thought the possibility of Rey being an actual daughter of Luke could mean that Finn could potential take her “real” last name in a marriage story between them. I doubt his lack of a surname was that intentional, but it could have been cool.

12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it became intentional once he's given a name by Poe and doesn't seem to have any name himself as a kidnapped child.
    Finn is perfect example of wasted character who would have benefitted from 1 director for whole ST. Boyega seems to have preferred working under JJ.

since Rey isn't a Skywalker and has no real good reason to want to redeem Kylo. I think that's one reason for aborted Finn-Rey romance.
    they shifted the romance to save/compassionate towards Kylo.

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Not only sabotage. Episode VIII is a big Bantustan Poodoo! Seeing all the episodes, for me it feels like as if Finn together with Rose had been dumped in Sun City Canto Bight to let Rey and Kylo Ren have that in-screen and off-screen shoehorned imposed ominous force bond to lure Rey away from Finn, yet to give him someone to play deal with - a quantum of solace, a non-white, not force sensible woman. If that is not racism, I don't know. :oops:

Just imagine, Leia in Ep. V would just had forgotten Han in the carbonite freeze and would have started a relationship with Lando instead. And later in RotJ, the three (or with Luke four) do hug.

In other words: What was planned and marketed as a diversity project for actors and characters from different ethnic origin to shine and to add color, became the bland opposite.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Considering the creators never even envisioned who their main protagonist was, nor their main villain, there is simply no way they cared about Finn.

TFA gives us potential. But that's only because it's vague and noncommittal to its story or its concepts.

Finn either needed to follow the Jedi Path, where in EP 8 he follows Rey's trail and ends up on Ahc-hto to train under Luke, where they both eventually take on Kylo Ren in EP 9. Or...Finn isn't force sensitive but is inspirational in leading a stormtrooper rebellion, and finally takes on Phasma in EP 9 once and for all. In both cases his bond with Rey should have grown over the 3 movies, gotten them closer, and with the drama built around these two. (Just as the drama was built around the OT3)

The fact that neither of these scenarios is even hard to write, really hammers home just how lazy and uncreative the ST writers were in making these movies.

Def Trooper likes this.
  15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    the ST writers were just ripping off the OT.
    Just like how Luke got screwed in TLJ due to TFA having him on Ach-To alone.

Finn was screwed by having him in hospital bed in TFA.
    RJ was more interested in exploring the ST3 with seperate journeys.

problem with that is that it left ST3 as a weak trio. A trio who only got together for realz.....in last movie, lol.
    TFA=Finn and Rey with a bit of Finn and Poe mostly at beginning, TLJ=3/3 mostly alone, ROS=finally something with all 3 but too late

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    If there was a time jump after TFA, it would have made sense for Finn to be committed to the Resistance and live the how to the expanded universe and to give him another kind of arc than what we ended up with.

17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think that was the *conscious* reasoning for some and an *excuse* for others, because I think the way things unfolded even on a concept level is rife with examples of white male privilege in TLJ, especially when contrasted with TFA.

While TLJ seems insecure and even paranoid about the concept of Rey and Finn being close (even just platonically), it has an arrogant confidence that there’s nothing to “complete with” in regards to how to set-up the new relationship - while TFA saw Abrams and Kasdan routinely seek out ways to fine-tune and emphasize why Rey and Finn would form a bond, and made a truly reciprocal chemistry between the characters an important part of the story… TLJ sees Johnson and then LFL afterwards just assume “Adam Driver is playing a sad, self-centered white boy, so her attraction and bon to him is automatic.”

Like, in general, I think if the main motivation was strictly desiring to get a Finn-level bond for Rey between herself and Kylo, then someone would recognize they had their work cut out for them. Really shifting reciprocal attention, focus, and effort from Rey and Finn to Rey and Kylo would require significant time, fine-tuning, and storytelling… but none of that is in TLJ. In fact, Adam Driver actually lost screentime in TLJ, and I’d strongly argue that the performance asked of him and the dialogue he’s given to read all works against the relationship.

When it comes to comparing Finn and Kylo both as roles and as companions for Rey, I’m struck by the old “Do twice the work for half the credit” observation on racism.

Johns Boyega did about twice as much work as Adam Driver, especially if we consider publicity circuits and such alongside screen time and simply demonstrating range and versatility… but LFL never felt he matched up to Adam Driver even (and especially in TLJ) when Driver wasn’t be required to do anything helpful.
    I’d disagree in terms of concept here, though it’s still not really to Johnson’s credit. I’d argue there actually wasn’t anything like an “ST3” in the shape of the OT3 through the first two films; this is one area where I don’t think either Abrams or Johnson were copying the OT that strictly.

The “main trio” of TFA is, if anything, Rey, Finn, and Kylo, with Kylo specifically positioned as the antagonist and foil to the other two, who actually absorb and divide the dramatic traits of Han, Leia, and Luke between just the two of them. Poe’s rise to prominence was entirely an improvisation by Abrams, and it’s notable how much he isn’t really a Han-parallel in TFA, and while he gets the trench run, it’s also notable how his static nature maintains his minor role. Oscar Isaac basically won himself a larger role when he and Boyega clicked, but Poe was still seen (accurately) as a supporting character to the main starring ensemble of Ridely, Boyega, Ford, and Driver when TFA was released.

And I think Johnson was 100% honest when he described his actual reasons for dividing Poe from Finn; he couldn’t tell them apart when writing them together… which is pretty alarming, actually. It’s also why TLJ’s separation of Finn and Poe doesn’t actually parallel ESB - ESB paired up Han and Leia for most of its run-time, afterall… which is what TLJ is doing with Rey and Kylo, though without really giving Rey even Leia’s stuff in ESB. And I’d argue TLJ “main trio” formula is also un-OT-like: it’s mostly just Sad!Luke and Kylo absorbing most of the story while Rey acts as a facilitator connecting their stories at best, and more generally as a character-less plot tool to advance their tales.

The actual “copy and paste the OT3 formulation only really occurred in TROS… and I’d argue you can tell even there it was somewhat handicapped by how LFL did it want Finn to be a major character again.

Eh… I think even without a time jump, the story we ended up with doesn’t make sense.

TFA ends with Finn clearly committed to the same holistic cause as the Resistance, even if he’s not committed to them. He’s in the same spot Han is after ANH - he chose his side, and while it may specifically be for a more personal reason, it’s made with a larger POV that means there’s no need to really “radicalize” him. Finn’s already “radicalized” against the First Order; honestly, the only real follow-up story dealing with his alliance afterwards would be to have the Resistance prove itself and it’s goals worthy of his personal commitment as well.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  18. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    I'm pretty sure JJ said at one point that their lack of a surname was intentional, we just don't know 100% what the reason was. Rey eventually gained a last name through her story, but Finn just went nowhere.

Assuming they remained the centerpieces of the trilogy, I think the idea was that they would both become part of the legacy of the Skywalker family (even if there was no name-taking involved) through their parallel journeys and growing bonds with the OT characters.

I don't mind that Finn sorta fell back behind Rey, as she is the main protagonist, but I hate that he became inconsequential overall and the powers that be were so afraid of Rey and Finn being paired together even platonically that they kept trying to wedge every character possible between them.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The scene when Finn reveals the truth to Rey in TFA is such an emotional moment and it's kinda sad there's no other scene featuring Finn that have a similar weight to it in the trilogy. One of the main characters in a saga film is one who humanized faceless villains and the arc they gave us for that character over the course of 3 movies was to join the Resistance and become a general. That, to me, is a missed opportunity.

20. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    LFL chose a very traditional way for Rey to become a Skywalker, first to get on one, then taking the name - see Rose Dawson in Titanic.

To avoid such a character evolvement desaster as happened to hapless Finn, film-makers in the future could do it like some French companies who announced for job applicants, that in their application, they could all renounce to pictures, name and place of living, all indicators for bosses to thresh out people from the chance of getting the job.

Of course to implement such for a movie is difficult, but a lot could be won, if directors first care about a good script with good story-telling and only afterwards cast the actors. Thus you could thwart the destruction of movie characters, if not whole plots, by racist feelings and objections during film production - be it conscious or unconscious.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's funny how people who use Titanic as an example of why Rey taking the name Skywalker works, when in Titanic, Rose doesn't take the name of her abusive terrorizing fiance, she takes the name of the guy who's nice to her and saves her from that horrible life.

So no Titanic isn't a good example of how this works. Unless you think Rose should have stayed with Cal in order to save him. Although it's also revealing that some think Kylo and Jack Dawson are the same character type.

22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    @DarkGingerJedi,
    Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for lining that out in detail. James Cameron in 1997 made a grave mistake in story-telling. [face_liarliar] Rose should have redeemed Cal and Jack was just too much of a nice guy for her. Just like Finn was for Rey. :rolleyes:

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Finn's last name is '2187'

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Since the FO's army is made up of kidnapped children, I'm really hoping to have a story about Finn reconnecting with his family preferably on a visual medium since SW is a visual medium first and foremost and it's also easier for me to visualize characters this way.

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    that’s not a last name, it’s literally a number given to him by an authoritarian wannabe Empire that’s meant to reduce individual people to numbers,

also, if you’re intending that to be a joke, it’s not funny

godisawesome , Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.