main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn pilots the ship from the fleet to Canto Bight why did he need a pilot in TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by oldtimefan 2, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    [​IMG]
    He takes a ship to Canto Bight after waking up from his coma.
    And let us not forget this.

[​IMG]

I think John Boyega is a good actor and once he is done with Star Wars I don't think he will look back.

The lack of talent here is Rian Johnson did he even watch TFA?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Skill transfer is occasionally a bit iffy in the movies. We've seen Anakin be a prod racing hero and we've seen that those skills transfer to being able to fly a fighter. We know Luke was able to bullseye womprats from his T-16 back home and that those skills transferred to being able to fly a fighter--though ANH also made it clear that Luke wouldn't be able to fly a ship like the Falcon capable of interstellar flight.

However, pretty much anyone in the SW universe is able to ride a speeder, and suggesting that just because Finn can't fly a TIE-fighter or a ship capable of interstellar flight, he wouldn't be able to ride a speeder, is a bit absurd, IMO. That's like saying that a person who can't drive a car is automatically also unable to ride a bicycle.

Not sure the top image is appropriate.

vncredleader and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Rose flew them to Canto Bight.

The skimmers on Crait are the equivalent of driving not piloting.

Han Solo even notesthe difference in the Solo movie: "I'm a driver and I'm a flier (pilot)."

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I just assumed that a TIE fighter is more complex than basic ships. Even Poe, an ace pilot, has trouble at first.

5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    There was a shot in TLJ with Finn in the pilots seat flying to Canto Bight.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I feel like there’s a profound difference in the skill required for flying a ship in pretty much a straight line through hyperspace, and evading a star destroyer after stealing a TIE. Even 3PO is capable of the former, but the latter requires a pilot.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's probably similar to how flying an F-16 and flying a Boeing 747 are different skills. Flying a Boeing is still a learned skill though, not something that "everyone can do." Likewise, flying through hyperspace is a learned skill, it's obvious that wet-behind-the-ears Luke underestimates the amount of skill involved in the scene where Han needs to point out that "traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy" or the scene where Han smirks "and who's gonna fly it, kid? You?" and Luke starts to respond that he's not such a bad pilot before getting shut down by Obi-Wan.

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Do we even know if he was “flying” that ship? Even on the Libertine later he’s in the back talking to DJ. If he’s in the captain’s chair for a scene while Rose is doing something it’s probably more of a formality than a skill. Like when a parent tells their 4-year old daughter to watch their younger baby brother because a parent has to use the bathroom. It doesn’t mean the kid is ready to setup her own daycare.

I also agree that the ski speeders are more like jetskis than space ships and even there he was the least comfortable of the group.

vncredleader, Sarge and Eternal_Jedi like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It would probably require "pilot" skills to be involved in an assault on First Order walkers and TIE fighters. Evading multiple canons firing on you while progressively advancing toward a wall of artillery is more than flying in a straight line.

Just chalk it up to coming from the same source that had Poe and Rey meet despite the fact that they stood next to each other, looking at a map, at the end of the previous film. When you turn in your script for a sequel before the first film is even finished, these minor hiccups happen.

10. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Finn is smart and competent. He can handle basic ships, which a TIE fighter is not. He could probably become a skilled pilot in the future with training.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd still argue that piloting a speeder requires a different and probably lower level of skill than piloting a TIE, even when taking the circumstances into account, but yeah, you do have a point bringing up the weird Rey/Poe meet-cute thing. It could very well just be a case of inconsistencies developing because of the production cycle for each film overlapping too closely.

vncredleader and 3sm1r like this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Regular ships in the Star Wars universe are like cars, they are "driven", not "piloted".

A TIE fighter needs a proper pilot.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I assume the Resistance pod is on autopilot when it's flying through hyperspace. So Finn isn't piloting the ship IMO. He's just sitting there.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You mean when Rose stood up and was walking toward the back as Finn asked about Canto Bight?

It was in auto pilot like @Darth Chiznuk mentioned.

Finn doesn't know what Canto Bight is, let alone how to get there.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Is this an asked and answered situation at this point?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Johnson watched daily takes of TFA while he was writing and working on TLJ.

MarcJordan likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The novel, I believe, shows Rose teaching Finn how to fly it. So yes, it's Finn piloting, but it was because he was shown how. Now, should that have been in the movie? Probably. But it's been validly explained, so it's not a continuity error or anything, either.

18. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Just a thumbs up to the OP before the lock. [face_clown]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The lack of rule obedience here is oldtimefan2. Did he even read the forum rules? Locking for redundant bashing. Take it to the Finn thread, or the plotholes thread, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.