main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Yes. Rose kissed Finn, but RJ ensured its ambiguity by depicting it in such an awkward way. All "ships" have movie elements to support them... AND undermine them - that's what all this back and forth is about, noncommittal writing that kicks the "romance in the ST" can down the road to the next movie (if such a can even exists - there might be no can). So JJ can do whatever he wants, there are story supports for all, from the ridiculous to the sublime.

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yep.

Rose is a far more apparent threat to FinnRey than Kylo Ren is. Rose, the one who actually served as Finn's leading lady in TLJ. Rose, the woman that Finn closes the film focused on.

Of course she's roundly dismissed for Reylo vs FinnRey battle #18,299.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Because a lot of the scenes and plot points revolving around her are just really poorly conceived? Is that within the realm of possibility?

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    These films aren't created to resolve petty fandom shipping wars.

Consequently it's irrelevant how much chatter FinnRose gets on SW forums.

Keep on ignoring Rose's existence and FinnRey fans will just go the way of Reywalkers; blindsided, oblivious, and feeling betrayed by what they assumed was "suppose" to happen.

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I wasn't blindsided by the Rey Reveal in TLJ, in fact I had it called after the cave scene. And afterwards I could evaluate why the execution of it was weaker on the part of TLJ; it dropped what were the appealing elements of the reveal and based Rey's entire TLJ story off of an overdrawn anti-climax and a badly plotted partnership with Kylo, making the character weaker and TLJ an inferior film.

And I'd be fine with Rose and Finn, it's just a weaker option than Rey and Finn, because it's in a film where RJ intentionally removed some of the strong ideas he had for the characters because he was too busy juggling all the balls he'd thrown up into the air and the quality of the film suffered for it. And yet, Finn and Rose would still be a better option than Reylo, because TLJ poisoned that well by basing the relationship off of writing Rey poorly.

I'd gladly accept and celebrate Finn and Rose as a couple in IX, supposing of course it's written well, and right now, Abrams is more likely to do that than Johnson did in TLJ. Rey and Finn is simply a slightly better option because it would be founded in a better film and both characters are awesome, and not handicapped by a creator underserving one with boring and banal speeches and very little else.

I'm getting my Rey and Finn scenes as best buds regardless.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Obviously your rants against TLJ are irrelevant to my point, so I won't waste our time offering rebuttal.

But good that you've accepted Rose as a possible (and IMO likely) romantic option for Finn. Hopefully other FinnRey fans will stop treating her as a total non-entity when, based on where the story left off, she's anything but.

Even if FinnRey end up together FinnRose will need to be resolved.

cerealbox likes this.
  7. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016
    After IX - no matter how much shippers attempt to logically divest themselves - some will be disappointed, some will be pleased. This isn't about methodology or proper reasoning. There is a general silliness to the endeavor of predicting romances for imaginary characters. Being right about a romance in fiction is about as rewarding as being voted smartest dog. ;)

jaqen likes this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Especially when you consider that TLJ was created before any of these "ships" existed.

The film makers will do what they want. Fans can accept it, or not.

9. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016
    Yes. In fairness to RJ, he finished TLJ script prior to fan response/reaction. Also, given the level of revision and re-shooting of TFA, he may not have felt there was much of a story (or fully realized characters) to deviate from. RJ was writing his script while JJ was still reworking the ideas and characters of his. Did not care for TLJ, but the environment that spawned it was less than ideal.

Ava G. likes this.
  10. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I was always under the impression that Reylos were closer to Stormpilots (sorry this is a much cooler name than FinnPoe) than fans of FinnRose. Rose has a fanbase, but not really one for her relationship with Finn. I agree that she needs more to do, though. I thought she was very useful and full of personality in TLJ, but making her Finn's love interest felt kind of forced.

I miss the days when JediStormPilot was a big thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#WeCanAllShare

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't think it's forbidden to mention other SW relationships to compare and/or contrast with Rey and Finn's relationship. Want to compare it with Rey/Kylo, Finn/Rose or Finn/Poe? go ahead and then we can endlessly discuss their merits or shortcomings. As for me, the absolute worst they could do is to have love triangles. It never had any redeeming qualities whatsoever and I do not want our main female characters (Rose and Rey) to fight over Finn's affection. I think it would make a big disservice to what the ST brought on the table with those two characters to write another insipid love triangle. Thankfully, I saw no hint of love triangle happening any time soon. As for Rose kissing Finn, judging by his (lack of) reaction I don't think he shared those feeling but who knows what will happen in IX, especially since a time skip is pretty likely.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Rose kissed Finn when his head was turned. They didn't mutually kiss. That covers his "lack" of reaction.

The film closed with his back turned to Rey, and focus on Rose. I'd say that obviously RJ set up a relationship for the next film.

The question is, will JJ follow through? Obviously FinnRey fans are counting on JJ seeing their romance as vital to the final chapter of this trilogy.

Ava G. likes this.
  13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    @Ryanpaulstewart That almost never works. It's done most the time to take advantage of sets, props, and locations the team has access to, which they can use in more than one installment of a film series. But with this trilogy there was really no excuse to mix up shooting and writing between two films.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You would be wrong in that regard

RiddleMeThis and Birkendoc like this.
  15. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I totally agree that if FinnRey happens it will have to deal with FinnRose. I think that regardless of Finn's feelings (as in, if they are romantic) he sees it as significant how Rose feels about him and has loyalty towards Rose. So I think this will be a factor in IX, one way or another.

It could easily turn out that FinnRose and Reylo are these intermediate stages to FinnRey, but that still means FinnRose is important!

TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t really think they have to deal with any of the little flirtations in TLJ if they go with FinnRey. Does Leia kissing Luke to make Han jealous in ESB count as dealing with Luke and Leia’s little flirtation? It’s not like the audience was subjected to an actual triangle, or Leia rejecting one for the other or anything. Luke didn’t pine, he didn’t try and sweep Leia off her feet, there were no speeches on anyone’s feelings about Luke and Leia potentially having romantic chemistry.

If FinnRey go romantic, I hope FinnRose is treated as a settled mutual friendship, with both being on the same page in the few years since TLJ. On the flip side, if FinnRose is where the story goes, I hope FinnRey is a settled mutual friendship, with both on exactly the same page. These films don’t need angst or rejection jealousy. That stuff destroys character integrity and there’s no need for it here. These characters are supposed to be heroes, idealized in many ways. We don’t need to see them portrayed as losers in romantic love triangles. SW isn’t Dawson’s Creek. That’s literally a big part of the appeal to me because I hate that crap. If Finn rejects Rose for Rey (or vice versa), or Rey rejects Finn for Kylo (or vice versa), there’s no winner in the scenario. The character in the middle is an a-hole, the rejected person is the loser, and the chosen one is reduced in character to propping the indecisive a-hole in the middle... Well actually with the exception of Rey rejecting Kylo for Finn. That would just be the heroes in love rejecting the evil interloper’s meddling presence in their private lives, like Phantom of the Opera.

17. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Yeah, they kind of addressed and resolved the Luke/Leia dynamic pretty definitively.

“He’s my brother.”

IncessantRamblings, jaqen and oncafar like this.
  18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    The OT did have to deal with Luke/Leia. Even in ROTJ, Han tells Leia that if she has feelings for Luke, he won't get in the way.

The Rose/Finn kiss is not a minor flirtation. It's a declaration of Rose's feelings for Finn.

IncessantRamblings and jaqen like this.
  19. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Han was wrong. Luke didn’t have romantic feelings for Leia then. Leia didn’t for Luke. It was done. No pining, no triangle, no nothing besides misunderstanding.

Rose knew Finn for like a day, just like Luke and Leia in ANH. A few years of passage of time between TLJ and IX is more than enough time for her crush to die out or to have developed into something deeper that is mutual. FinnRose was minor.

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    It doesn't matter if Han is wrong. And in this case Rose *does* have those kind of feelings for Finn. I don't believe IX will just move on from the FinnRose kiss as though it never happened.

Also Finn and Rose know one another for basically the same length of time Finn and Rey know one another, and Rey and Han know one another. So if FinnRose is so irrelevant based on time, then so is FinnRey, and Han as Rey's "father figure."

All of these characters have just met. Maybe Poe/Rose should be the ship people root for since they've known one another longer.

IncessantRamblings and jaqen like this.
  21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    It does matter because GL never subjected us to a dumb romantic triangle.

Luke did have a crush on Leia in ANH. He got over it. It happens.

FinnRose isn’t irrelevant. It part of TLJ. It certainly wasn’t an actual romance though. It was a story of one-sided affection. Rose spent TLJ pining. FinnRose is ripped right out of Dawson’s Creek. If it becomes a romance in IX, hopefully it starts from scratch.

But if FinnRose is something that HAS to be dealt with in some serious way, then obviously so does FinnRey. Unlike FinnRose, FinnRey’s affection for each other is mutual and spans two films.

22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I personally can easily see Finn and Rey as "just friends" though I can also see them as romantic. Likewise, I can see FinnRose in multiple ways. It isn't known if Finn will have feelings for Rose, so to just say he doesn't and that it's one-sided isn't based on anything but subjective opinion.

jaqen likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Han/Leia/Luke was a triangle (weak as it was since Carrie and Mark didn't have that kind of chemistry), and it was resolved in ROTJ. Han was actually still jealous of their connection until the final few minutes of the film, when he was finally informed of the truth of their relationship.

No matter what happens in IX it would be foolish writing to not address the only overtly romantic storyline offered in the ST so far. FinnRose shouldn't be easily dismissed, with no resolution, just to prop up FinnRey.

I think it's pretty moot; of course JJ will resolve that, whether Rose and Finn get together or not.

Surely you know this isn't true?

An earlier draft of TESB, written by Lucas, features the following line:

Vader: You’re in love with Leia. You don’t want to lose her to Han Solo…. But you will, if you lack the courage to use the strength that’s in you. A strength as great as mine, Luke.”

Luke/Han/Leia was one of cinema's most high profile triangles. I can't fathom why you'd argue against a well known fact like this.

Leia basically tells Luke in earlier drafts that Han is the one she loves.

Thank Andrew Lloyd Webber for Love Never Dies!

24. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    There's the "Princess and a guy like me" scene in ANH. Leia kissing Luke to make Han jealous in ESB. "You can tell Luke, is that who you can tell" and "I won't get in your way" in RotJ, tho by that time the triangle was only in Han's imagination.

Am I forgetting anything?

Anyway, it was there, but barely. I think if Luke cared all that much about Han/Leia by ESB, he would've had more of a problem with them being alone together while he was on Dagobah.

ETA: I wish the internet had existed back then for the Han/Leia versus Luke/Leia debates. Was there any equivalent? Like fan letters sent to magazines or something.

Lomesa and Birkendoc like this.
  25. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    Agree and I would guess it will be Rose that recognises Finn is in love with Rey and points it out to him cos is yet to recognise it himself. Should be a great scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.