main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn & Rey in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ren Kylo, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    UST at its finest

Any rumors on Rey/Finn scenes yet?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    TheLastHaterOfZero likes this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    As far as I'm aware, none yet. The only thing I've seen and heard of at all of Finn and Poe hanging out.

If FinnRey were to happen, than I've often thought that the best way to get Rose untangled from the situation would be to have her and Rey establish a strong rapport and friendship between TLJ and IX, with hopefully at least one scene shared in IX over the innards of a Starfighter or the guts of the Falcon. Not only would it be a good usage of the characters' few similarities to establish a chemistry, but it would allow for some possible Bechdel Test passing, and I genuinely believe that KMT and DR probably have the capability to create the magic chemistry that would make it work. And Rose maybe proving a better mechanic would give her a nice distinct identifying trait over Rey.

And if you did have Rose being a close friend to both Rey and Finn, it would be easier to have her quietly relinquish her crush on Finn between films, and maybe make the possible love triangle be more of a sitcom-esque misunderstanding, where Finn loves Rey, Rey loves Finn, but Rey thinks that Finn and Rose are a thing and Finn thinks Rey wants to avoid attachments, with Rose herself now loving both chowder heads as friends, being over her crunch on Finn, and pushing them together.

However, your idea of some kind of brief relationship between Finn and Rose between films can work. I think the main thing is that Finn, Rey, and Rose are all characters who would be ill suited to the kind of hyper-conflicted and angsty love triangle that a soap opera would handle. I mean, none of these characters are really built to have an acrimonious grudge with another over a girl/guy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I wouldn't expect to hear anything else anytime soon. Star Wars Resistance comes out in a few weeks, they're filming for the New TV series, and KK just extended her contract by three years. All that plus the revealed photos we got is more than enough hype for now. I expect we really won't get much more solid info about Episode 9 for some time.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  4. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    What about those rumours of Rey being separated from the Falcon in the scenes that have been filmed so far? They are filming in order, it seems.

Finn and Chewie are on the ship instead. This is the Finn-Rey relationship in IX, as far as we 'know' at the moment.

And then this thing about Poe&Finn having a pirate/hutt meeting. Perhaps one of these scum and villany guys -in the Ducain Irving boys continuum- could recognize the ship and do something villanous. Perhaps Finn -or the audience- could recognize certain name(s).

Probably not, its too soon to tell anyway. But the Falcon not being in Rey's hands sounds strange. Perhaps we have seen her piloting the ship for the last time already.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    We never saw Han pilot the Falcon in RotJ.

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Could be an ROTJ type opening where Rey dosen't come in until later, then we get to see the entire team fighting together before digging into the final adventure....which might be the point Finn & Rey link up and spend the rest of the film (more or less) together.

7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Wait! ... No, that was the imperial shuttle. Never mind.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    If they are filming the end of, or have filmed the end of the first Act...I'm almost willing to be that Rey is off in an X-Wing while Finn and the Rest are on the Falcon, and come together NLT early in the second act.

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Good ideas and some respect for Rose, Rey and Finn too? Sure. I’d be fine with this. I just want these characters to soar really.

10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

Addenum: "Jedha was filmed in the exact location as their filming right now, not just Jordan in general"

"IIRC, the guy who took photos of the location said that Daisy was there too getting tours on camelback so I wouldn't be surprised if whatever they're filming there is central to the story."

.....Hmmm...so the film could open with Finn and Poe on some adventure, but by the second act Finn and Rey could be on Jedha together for some reason. Spit balling, but could Rey and Finn be searching for some lost knowledge...something Luke's spirit may have pointed them towards? JJ did say he wanted to take things in a new direction...and the Resistance is said to be a guerilla force which makes it SOUND like a massive fleet battle is out of the question, so what force knowledge could they be looking for to give the Rebellion an edge....Battle meditation? Then again perhaps they're just looking for a Kyber crystal for Rey's new Lightsaber....I mean what if she hasn't built a new one yet...but feels that now is the time. I suppose Finn accompanying her could be a chance for them to talk and work together after a long separation....or Finn has some purpose on Jedha...like a family he dosen't know about...or he just feels drawn there for some reason....hmm...perhaps picking up a Kyber Crystal of his own....

I must admit I am looking forward to the potential interaction between the two on this world.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hrm, Battle Meditation? They need to find a holocron with Oppo Rancisis teaching that ability. :p

I’d like these two to fully develop, show us why you hired John J.J.!

Some fun ideas.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This can only mean one thing: Finn and Rey are Mandalorians.

13. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You're half right, Finn's a Mandalorian, and the younger brother of the Titular TV series being filmed right now. Rey is actually of the Echani.

14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Well, since it’s Valentines Day and the threads been quiet for a while...

...who else here is genuinely convinced that of all the possible romance options for the ST, Finn and Rey probably remain the strongest possibility from a characterization and pay-out standpoint?

I mean, I’m going to be satisfied with them just being compatriots and buddies sharing scenes togetehr after having both kind of suffocated in their TLJ plots, but rewatching TFA this last week still showed me just how damn powerful their chemistry is as characters.

And on top of that, Finn’s already basically become Rey’s family, what with him being the one who “came back” for her on SKB. That moment where she realizes that and gives him a hug gives any possible romance story a bigger emotional core here, between these two, than anything in the other pairings.

15. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    For me I think it is a very good chance of happening although I would expect it would be something we see right at the end of the movie. I doubt it will have much to do with the plot but can see a situation where one saves the other in the climax of the movie and once the battle is won they realise their feelings for each are deeper than "just" friends.

Can see it working really well too but it will have little bearing on whether i like the movie or not and I am not expecting it too happen, just think it is very possible.

godisawesome likes this.
  16. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Honestly, my first thought is that it's a too obvious and easy relationship for Star Wars LOL The first thingI though when I watched TFA was: "Oh, here's the guy that they want us to believe that he will be Rey's boyfriend" . If it wasn't for TLJ, I could still believe in a possibility though: the previous trilogies had passionate but doomed relationships (Han and Leia eventually lost each other, so I call their relationship "doomed" even if it was not tragic as Padme and Anakin's relationship), so the authors of the ST could choose to promote a less exciting but more stable romance.

But TLJ came along. And Rose Tico. Rey kisses Finn on the forehead on TFA and calls him "my friend", Rose kisses him on the lips and declares her love to him... Plus, Rey and Finn spent zero time together in TLJ, so they didn't have the time to make their friendship evolve into a romance, as it was made in AOTC for Anakin and Padme, and in ESB for Han and Leia. At this point it seems too late for Finn and Rey, especially with Rose between them... It would cause too much drama for not enough time imo.

The only way I can see it working: Finn doesn't love Rose but doesn't dare to tell her, but he doesn't declare his love to Rey; Rey in my opinion won't have enough time to even ask herself the question! And she wouldn't want to hurt Rose anyways. Rose dies at some point, Finn and Rey realize they always loved each other, and start a new life together at the end of the movie. Happy end, big marriage with the Porgs as special guests, etc.

it would suck to have Rose sacrified only for a love story to happen, though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  17. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    In TFA I thought their relationship felt more like one of siblings than of possible lovers.

I am ok with Finn/Rose, and Rey/Ben.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  18. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    To be fair, considering how obsessed with Rey Finn is, we can assume at least that he's in love with her.

19. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    I understand what you mean, but we can agree that love can manifest in different ways. His obsession towards her comes, I think, from the fact that she is the first time he has created a bond with another person (I believe some books or comics stated that he had some friends among the first order, but since it is not mentioned in the movies, it could as well have never happened).

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  20. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Well he asks her if it's her boyfriend she's waiting for on Jakku, which is the kind of question that an infatuated guy would ask... To be honest, I find Finn a bit bold for someone who's supposed to have been raised as a soldier slave, and who probably had zero social interactions with girls outside of the FO environment...But Rey doesn't behave like a girl from an hostile planet like Jakku should either, so i guess they complete each other well...

But yeah, FinnRey could become a great friendship as it could end up as a romance, though I personnally see more a friendship for them. Sorry for those who absolutely hate the idea, but I rather see Rey having a romance with Ben (a redeemed Ben, not evil Kylo) than with Finn.

JustASimplePorg and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve had quite enough “passionate but doomed”—or “passionate” for the sake of being “passionate”, period—relationships and I want to see a good friendship evolve into a warm and steady romance, despite Johnson’s efforts in TLJ to put roadblocks in the way of Rey and Finn (because he didn’t really want to write Finn at all and was more interested in Kylo than any other character). I like Rose, and I think there is a way to resolve what happened in TLJ without too much drama. She could pull her own “You love her, don’t you? If she comes [is] back, I won’t get in the way,” although obviously under different circumstances and with a different outcome.

Han and Leia in ROTJ was the best Han and Leia; I’d add Han and Leia from the time Han was put in carbon freeze. Anakin and Padme in the picnic scene and the dinner scene on Naboo was the best Anakin and Padme.

And “You looked at me like no one else has” is far more romantic than anything that was said or that happened in TLJ. I’ll have even less respect for Rey than I have after the events of TLJ if she were to reject a sweet, funny, supportive man in favor of a man whose idea of romance is “You’re nothing, but not to me.”

Abrams seems to like Finn, and the Rey/Finn dynamic. Hopefully he takes that reunion hug at the end of TLJ and runs with it.

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    To me, Finn and Rey are the only relationship that actually has both a solid bedrock for potential romance present in other films and an energy that's truly engaging:

- Finn and Poe have the energy, since Boyega and Isaac basically convinced Abrams to resurrect Poe off of their chemistry, but it doesn't have any build up towards romance or even compatible orientation outside of that... though plenty of Oscar Isaac fans will beg to differ and highlight that delighted face Isaac makes when telling Finn he should keep the jacket, so who knows.

- Finn and Rose have a bedrock because of how TLJ wrote the two... but the entire subplot in TLJ is infamous for, at best, having no real energy or enthusiasm for its content, and at worst, for being badly written and preachy to an extent that it managed to waste both Boyega and Tran's skills, especially saddling the latter with a light, almost nothing story outside of preachy exposition that arguably is self-defeating because its lessons are better communicated by the PT, and what comes off as an anemic attempt at romance (it's not good when just about everyone is making fun of the kiss for feeling like it came out of nowhere.)

- Rey and "Ben?" I'd have to argue this is actually a net-negative in the emotional bedrock, and almost niche in its energy's appeal: TLJ simply ignored whatever characterization Rey had that would get in the way of the relationship, and wrote her stupidly and in an emotionally hollow way on top of that. Rey doesn't actually have any idea who Ben is... or if she does, than its not someone she could fall for: we've been dealing only with Kylo so far, unless you wnat to argue the flashback character is Ben... in which case we might ask why Rey would be attracted to a school shooter and cult recruiter who seems to justify Luke's lightsaber ignition because of the script's inelegance and laziness, since the time between the hut incident and everyone being murdered seems negligible. And all this for an idea that pretty much has to require demoting Rey into being Kylo's sidekick and love interest, because he's a Skywalker and she's not, and all for the demographic that will crave "bad boy and good girl" relationships even when they're written badly.

Finn and Rey are already a fantastic and great friendship; that's not the endpoint for their relationship, that's its status quo right now. So I'm already happy, and to be blunt, it's probably going to *still* be the best written and strongest relationship in the ST even if they set up a romance with another character for them. And it's not like you have to kill Rose to make a romance work between Finn and Rey; you simply have to write her as an actual *character,* rather than as a empty speech-maker like Rian Johnson did, and give her a good arc as a character in IX that doesn't seem to exist largely to try and separate Finn and Rey.

And you're not going to be able to top the warm and fuzzy feelings of Finn and Rey as a relationship: it's got too much positive energy and characterization, and doesn't need some cheap "forbidden love" angle to work.

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Finn and Rey is really the only romance option for IX that I would look forward to seeing. I'm not opposed to some others, including Finn/Rose, Finn/Poe, Poe/Rey, but I don't have any active hope to see those. It's not a make or break thing for me, I'm also happy with them being found family as friends, but I would be very pleasantly surprised to get a Finn/Rey love story at the end. There's a super simple reason for that (besides their chemistry of course) - Finn and Rey are the heart of the story to me. I don't mean individually each is part of the heart. I mean their mutual connection is the heart of the story. Their hug in TLJ is the most emotional part of the film to me. I was let down that RJ denied them dialogue and separated them again after that. Their affection for each other is maybe the only part of this story that I have emotional investment in. No surprise here that TLJ did nothing for me, and I hope IX does give me something to look forward to.

24. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm definitely Team FinnRey before anything else. It really is one of the best relationships in all of Star Wars for me and quite frankly, it would be a real missed opportunity to not have a wonderful loving interracial couple that takes over pop culture for a hot second (granted Finn and Poe would be huge too). We've all seen couples like Reylo before. The main girl getting with the hot, brooding bad guy is nothing special.

Although, I must say I find a lot more love for Finn and Rey's relationship than I do anywhere else on the internet.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So FinnReyPoe is the thing now, I reckon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.